Is macOS good for programming?

Is macOS good for programming?

Attached: 1200px-MacOS_original_logo.svg.png (1200x1044, 51K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8O5ntJN3vWM
quora.com/Why-do-Google-engineers-use-MacBooks-instead-of-Linux-laptops
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

yes

no

No.

Who cares? If you’re applying for a job and they want to you use it, learn it. If not, don’t waste your time.

MacOS was designed for programming. Everyone that has a job in Silicon Valley uses MacOS.

cd
cd
cd
cd...

I need you in my startup.

Better than Win7, unless you're coding for .NET.
Worse than Win10, unless you're coding for macOS or non-Xamarin iOS.
About equal to Linux for non-macOS/iOS things, but not as in "local environment".

wrong
google provides debian workstations

Why worse than W10?
Microshit is literally pushing they software to Unix users.

Win10 has WSL which allows it to fall back to some sort of plain Linux distro and get access to virtually all the GNU goodness in a similar way it'll end up running during deployment (because servers are generally run on Linux and not on macOS). Meanwhile, macOS has its terminal, homebrew, etc. but it does things in its own way meaning it's less compatible with Linux environments.
Aside from that, Windows' GUI is more performance-oriented rather than user-experience/fluff-oriented macOS. Windows is also leagues ahead of macOS in managing OS resources.
And the variety of the tools available. There are industry standards that are exclusive to macOS (I honestly only remember Sketch), however, unlike most of the shit for Windows, they are actually easily replaceable.
Like, sure, macOS got Office, yeah. But it's shit on macOS.

If you listen to Jow Forums no operating system is good for anything. Use whatever your comfortable with.

yes why wouldnt it be? it's unix based

Yes

No

Pros
>Unix (*BSD) utilities
>most commercial software has a macOS version
>easily install most command line software you'd use on GNU/Linux with homebrew

Cons
>stuff costs money, want to use the back/forward buttons on your mouse in macOS? Gotta buy or pirate a $20USD mouse driver. Want the best macOS IRC client? shell out ~$10bux.
>generally locked down ootb

It's good for programming but you can get a close approximation with GNU/Linux on the hardware you already own without a bunch of bullshit like you would have to do with Hackintosh. Hell, you could really just install the Windows Subsystem for Linux and get a close approximation of macOS on Windows with the added benefit of not having to reboot to play your vidya.

>WSL
Slow as fuck

Homebrew is nowhere near as good as a proper Linux package manager, if you don't understand why, you don't know a lot about package management.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

> (((google)))
discarded

>"everyone in Silicon Valley"
>gets his baseless claim BTFO
>"REEEE DOESN'T COUNT"

I did about 90% of my undergrad programming on a Macbook Pro, the other 10% in Linux. I think it's a great programming platform. And you can always run some VMs if there's something else you need.

It's well known for having awful I/O performance

> his
>

Literally everyone at Google uses Macs

Google provides you the option of using either OS X or a custom build of Debian (gLinux). Almost everyone chooses OS X and just SSHs into Linux servers when necessary. iPhones are also more popular than Android phones even though Android phones are given away for free to all employees.

Provide evidence.

I think,,,
Hardware→Win
Software→mac

There's plenty of evidence if you know how to use a google search

Logic ICs are good for programming. Pure low-level shitcoding.

You are calling his comment baseless, but you don't have any base for your comment, idiot.

Also, BTFO, pleb, everyone knows Google runs on Macs.

Attached: Captura de ecrã 2018-10-01, às 19.16.36.png (1736x1584, 563K)

>Windows hardware
That's a good one...
youtube.com/watch?v=8O5ntJN3vWM

Windows has been banned since then as well. Nobody is allowed to use Windows for anything other than testing on a quarantined network.

>2013

Interesting, I wonder how that's changed with the introduction of Chromebook Pixels

I use it. Simple commands take way too long to execute

Attached: 1533529824421.jpg (770x602, 44K)

I'm not in charge of proving your fantasies, kiddo. Either prove your claim or fuck off.

What comment, you fucking retard? I never made any claim, you're not disproving anything. I know Google uses macs, what is this supposed to prove?

You have to BUY a driver to use a mouse with extra buttons? Lmao

Terminal is breddy good

I unironically like my Mac. Plus I don’t look autistic at school.

>inb4 reeeeeee
No one cares

Attached: 11C58DB4-3F9D-4CB8-979C-7278B4A98A74.gif (320x240, 2.09M)

You apparently care.

Unix = good!!

Some HN guys as google workers say Google ban code for products begin on mobile devices as laptops because leaks issues and put Linux Workstations for workers, macbooks pros are just for emails,presentations or conferences.

MacBook Pro is basically the standard dev machine. You can get a Thinkpad or whatever and install Linux on it if you're a contrarian. Nobody uses Windows unless they are stuck in the corporate C#/ASP.NET/Excel/etc MS bubble or they are doing gamedev.

finally someone here with a >50 iq

Yes. Pretty much every program you would need to use for any job is available on macOS. Most Windows software has a Mac version, and almost everything from Linux has been ported to macOS and is available through homebrew or macports. There's literally no reason to own anything other than a Mac these days. They can run Windows and Linux and when you're ready to buy a new one, you can sell your old one for 75-80% of the original retail price, and your next Mac only costs you $300-$500.

>There's literally no reason to own anything other than a Mac these days.
I like Linux more and there's stuff that's easier to do on Linux than on a mac. How is that "literally no reason"?

Attached: 1517566342166.jpg (643x960, 256K)

Because you can run Linux on a Mac. Though with that level of reading comprehension I can't imagine you're doing anything meaningful with Linux anyway.

The best. There is a reason if you go to any major software dev conference its 90% macbook pros

Prove me wrong poorfags.

user show me a latest-gen MBP running Linux with audio, wifi, etc.

You shit in the street. Thus you're proven wrong.

>companies develop for windows and macOS and can't be arsed to hackintosh, so they buy macs
>universities get discounts on macs, so they buy macs
Truly a mystery.

Oh look it's a "apple shill asks about macs so other apple shills can reply to him" thread that the mods will again pretend not to see.

Attached: macshills.jpg (4500x3000, 1.6M)

Literally no one with the brain power to use loonix would buy a latest gen mbp. Fuck, I'm a macfag and I won't even buy one. Memebar ruined the mbp.

MacOS is one of the worst operating systems man has ever seen.

linux is better for anything that is going to run on linux but macos works too

If you're developing for macOS or iOS, it's the only thing you can use. Xcode only works on macOS

When someone says "you can run linux on a mac" I assume they mean the latest version, not some 2009 Core 2 Duo. And it's not the latest gen, you can't buy a new MBP from an apple store that will run Linux with wifi, audio and all that. The latest version that run linux just fine is from 2015. So his statement is wrong, which has been my entire point.

>Oh look it's a "pretend apple shill asks about macs so other pretend apple shills can reply to him" thread that the mods will again pretend not to see.
Fixed.
How Jow Forums justifies its Apple hate.
False flags for everyone.

Sorry you're not getting paid today, Pajeet.

>How is that "literally no reason"?
The stuff that's "easier" to do in Linux, you can still do in MacOS. (Or you can run a virtual machine and develop natively in Linux).

But the stuff you can do in MacOS you can't do in Linux at all. Like developing for MacOS, iOS, using Xcode and its emulators, etc.

Developing in MacOS is a superset of developing in Linux.

But I don't do any mac-only work, and the generic work I can do anywhere, I do worse on mac. Again, not "literally no reason". But keep trying, shill.

Source

this. pretty much any tech company will just give out macbooks, or have a secondary option for the autists who insist on linux or whatever

And that's about it. For everything else it only loses to pure Linux boot.
I used to work with Rails on both macOS (MBP 2013 and 2017) and WSL - the latter was a much better experience to me. Enough for me to apply to the Insider program, just so I'll be getting more frequent updates to WSL.

quora.com/Why-do-Google-engineers-use-MacBooks-instead-of-Linux-laptops

This^ for all of the gays who still believe that Google doesn't specifically use Mac.

Even after reading the reply, you have to realize that the only reason anybody uses Mac is because they are too incompetent to maintain their own host OS.

>I don't develop for the second most popular desktop OS and the most profitable mobile OS
I thought you said you're a developer.

Also every IDE and text editor under the sun is available on MacOS either natively or through (fully hardware accelerated) virtual machines, that blend seamlessly with the MacOS desktop environment. I.e. you can have the mac menu bar on top, the windows taskbar on the bottom, and windows+aqua windows on the same desktop side by side, over your MacOS background.

Sure why not?

It is POSIX compliant and it has gorgeous font rendering.

you want to hand over all of your cash to the jews, sure

>>I don't develop for the second most popular desktop OS and the most profitable mobile OS
>I thought you said you're a developer.
Popularity != quality. McDonald's is hugely popular.
>Also every IDE and text editor under the sun is available on MacOS either natively or through (fully hardware accelerated) virtual machines
Again, I don't need that. All my IDEs run natively on my OS.
>, that blend seamlessly with the MacOS desktop environment I.e. you can have the mac menu bar on top, the windows taskbar on the bottom, and windows+aqua windows on the same desktop side by side, over your MacOS background.
Or I could skip all of that shit and use Linux natively. You can't even swap caps lock and left cmd on a mac, it will swap both cmds and you end up with 2 caps locks. It's a garbage OS.