Why aren't more Jow Forumsentleman buying old Blackberry's? They're practically the Thinkpads of phones

Why aren't more Jow Forumsentleman buying old Blackberry's? They're practically the Thinkpads of phones.

>Cheap ($50 to $75)
>Easy to dissemble and repair
>Parts are cheap and plentiful
>Durable, can take a beating
>Muh keyboard
>BB10 most secure mobile OS
>Not botnet
>Native support for Android apps
>Can install and run Linux for shits and giggles

Attached: blackberry-classic-2-9981.0.0.jpg (1600x900, 124K)

Other urls found in this thread:

techwalla.com/articles/how-to-install-linux-on-a-micro-sd-run-on-blackberry
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I still use my q10 I bought new years ago.

Just use this if you're not using a smartphone

i loved my old blackberry.

Same. I'm hoping postmarketOS gains more traction, so one day I can use VIM key bindings on my Q10.

do you use this without the blackberry service?
I used to work for a cellular operator and I remember the service costing extra

Because old ThinkPads can still easily run today's most popular and relevant operating systems while old Blackberrys are stuck running a dead and irrelevant OS.

Yes. BlackBerry service died when they started making 4g phones. My Q10 is GSM so I can use it on virtually any network.

>unix shit from the 90s
>relevant and popular

I bought a lot of Q10s off ebay, worked out to ~$20 a piece. One was missing a battery, but the rest were in perfect order. For anyone looking for one, the Blackberry Protect phone locking can be overcome by a downgrade flashing, so even if it says it is locked/for parts you are golden.

Recommended models?

Q10 has removeable battery and minihdmi out, Passport is the most powerful.

My Fedora installation got updated a few hours ago, sweetie.

I like obsolete phones. I started missing my old nokia windows phone so I purchased an alcatel idol 4s at the beginning of the year. Its ok, I actually like the windows ecosystem and had that with my microsoft band 2 going and everything just worked seemlessly but eventually windows is still windows with all of its bullshit so this could be fun to dabble with. I used to repair these phones and many others during their initial run and they had the least problems of all the other phones we worked on (razrs , droids etc, htc heros and such). There was a nice flip phone also blackberry put out but I cant recall the model number.

The N900 exists

The Alcatel is pretty creepy though if you look into the company and then their strange satanic naming conventions for everything down to the inferno shit and the phone being an (idol 4 S(atan)). Then when you see how Lucent (Lucifer) is involved and Soros it rabbit holes on you.

Linux is alive and well... on servers and lagdroids anyway.

I have Windows 10 on my x201 and Linux on my 1st Gen X1 Carbon, both are working flawlessly.

Is there anything Soros doesn't have his creepy old hands on?

I didnt buy into the 5g will kill us all meme until I saw how involved Soros is with Lucent and the push. It seems to me they are on the verge of some major shit with NFC and 5g for total surveillance.

>>Cheap ($50 to $75)
Even my previous NEW chinkphone was only $40, and that one had a 5" screen, 8gb of storage and 1gb RAM.

>Shit Android phone that comes pre shipped with an unsupported version of botnet

I was a Palm guy before the Q10, still regret not getting a Pixi, but I really hated the "webapps" at the time and the original Pre/Pixi did not have wifi. I could never figure out StyleTap under linux, or I would us a BlackBerry or KeyOne and load full of PalmOS programs.

I'm not poor.
The new Blackberrys are just as nice.

android gets constant support, blackberry os will die
if it can get install new os or if blackberry os is open,, then maybe

based and redpilled

>Not botnet
Not if you remove the speakers/mic, and run all of your text messeges through your own server with pgp.
Do that, and you could have yourself, and your friends a decent cartel tier text machine.

we're addicted to
>muh apps
>high resolution
>widescreen aspect
>being able to do web browsing

bbOS either can't do those things or is really horrible at them. The only thing blackberry is good for is email and texting.

Using something like sachesi to restore the phone, or an official method like via system restore?

As a PSA, Protecr along with a number of other services is going dark in a year or so.

Do people not remove the speaker and mic?
You can plugin headphones with a mic if you want to make a voice call.

Does it still run whatsapp? That's all I really "need".

whats that be?

i have a blackberry android because im a stupid faggot but its the closest thing to a Droid anyone has made in the last decade so thanks blackberry

now that motorola is pure chink shit and HTC doesnt seem to exist anymore i guess selling off blackberry to a bunch of pajeets was how they secured their ability to sell gimmick phones

Q10 rules

>Doesn't know how to root a phone

Was alright, just the battery that expanded after a year, so now I switched to a Xiaomi

my first smartphone was a Blackberry Curve and my second smartphone was a Blackberry Bold: only God knows how much I loved them! As soon as I switched from the Bold to the Samsung S4, I was happy because I loved the bigger and better screen and I though that the virtual keyboard was good...how stupid I was! After using the S4 for a week I realized my regret for not having my Bold anymore. When my S4 took fire, I decided to come back to Blackberry again: I could buy a Passport for 150€, but I opted for a Keyone at the end. Reason? The Keyone seemed more future proof to me. I hate that Android is a better solution than BB10, because Android obviously runs much worse, but the lack of apps support for the Passport was a determinant factor to me.

>My garbage chinkshit that lasted not even a year is better than a used BB that will last for many more decades
What do you even do on this board?

If my current keyone dies I'll go back and use my passport again, keyboard is much better, OS runs smoother, only upside of the keyone are the apps

If my current keyone dies I'll go back and use my passport again, keyboard is much better, OS runs smoother, only upside of the keyone are the apps

I bought a priv and loved it until it died 6 months in

>not botnet

It's a phone lad. The only way to avoid the botnet is to turn it off

Because new blackberries are objective better in every way and still have a nice keyboard.

Attached: DSC_0200.jpg (4618x3464, 1.08M)

Yes - native Android app support

Native Android app support

New phones don't actually turn off. Not unless you get one with a removable battery

Simply no

Native Android app support

New phones don't actually turn off. Not unless you get one with a removable battery

Simply no

>can install and run linux
No you can't. What are you even talking about? Those phones are locked down as fuck.

>Jow Forums is infested with people who believe shit like this

>Native Android app support

That's fucking horse shit. I used a Z10 in the past and my father still uses one. Android apps barely work and are slow as shit if they even work at all. Don't mislead people, shit head.

>want to use my passport
>deeply in the apple ecosystem
oh well

same, its the same one BlackBerry let me keep after they laid me off haha :(

I could buy a new blackberry q10 for 59€. Should i go for it ?

I still have my Classic. If BB10 wasn’t dead as fuck, it would still be usable. It would be nice if you could put Sailfish on it or something.

I would get one tomorrow but the old BBs are not manufactured anymore. The new ones are manufactured on mainland China by TCL, a company that also purchased the Philips TV IP. Moreover, the new BBs run on Android and I cannot affort reading e-mails from a smartphone (for security reasons).

I had a BB about 10 yrs ago & I really appreciated the keyboeard. Now, when on the road, I work with my Toshiba NB100 on Win XP.

It's really a shame they stopped manufacturing them but then again, the market rules...

>the Thinkpads of phones
clumsy, outdated, ugly. sounds about right.

Do they have google maps/gps?

What is the difference between blackberry q10 and classic? Which one is newer/better ?

>The Alcatel is pretty creepy

That's rubbish. The company once was called Alstom Alcatel and before CIT Alstom Alcatel. They manufactured telefax machines, telephones, ships and so on. Later on, the conglomerate was split up and the phone part was (Alcatel) was sold to TCL, that mainland Chinese company which also makes the new BB. Has nothing much to do with Soros but since it is mainlanc Chinese it probably is just as evil.

I still got an old CIT Alcatel landlince phone and I also have seen the Alcatel fax machines.

Go back to wherever you came from if you think running slightly bulky apps on the z10 platform (z10/classic) would be performant. Z30 is the minimum, but you really need a Passport to make it work decently.

>What is the difference between blackberry q10 and classic? Which one is newer/better ?

I think the BB network does not exist anymore & the new BBs run on Android. The old BB also had its own proprietary OS (from BB / RIM).

>>unix shit from the 90s
>>relevant and popular
Yes, unlike some microkernel system from the 90s (QNX) which has faded into complete obscurity.

>What is the difference between blackberry q10 and classic? Which one is newer/better ?
Q10 had a QNX based OS called "BlackBerry 10". It was far more functional and user friendly than Android. (I know because I carry a Q10 and a Galaxy 9 with me every day). BlackBerry 10 hasn't been updated in about a year and basically was a failed project because the whole world moved to ((Android)) - a clunky, poorly thought out piece of shit mobile operating system that only survives because of Googles monopoly over the App market.

>can install linux
post how or i will kill you

Yes

Create a live microSD card and pop it in.
Here's an article how:
techwalla.com/articles/how-to-install-linux-on-a-micro-sd-run-on-blackberry

To actually answer the question instead of replying like a markov chain:
The classic is a Z10 with a "toolbelt", a keyboard, a 3.5" display (720x720 vs 768x1280), a working FM chip, and a larger battery (non-removable). The battery is larger than the one in the Q10, so it gets the best battery life.
The Q10 is a Z10 with a keyboard, a larger battery (removable), a working FM chip, and a 3.1" 720x720 display.

It's important to look at them as Z10-base devices as they have the same features other than the above mentioned. The Z30 and Passport are appreciably more powerful than the previous with appreciably more battery life.. until you get to the defective Passport Silver Edition line that drain their battery no matter whether they're on or off.

You can cross-compile binaries with gcc, and even get gcc on your device, but you can't do anything more with a linux on a memory card than "install" it.
I haven't found any good terminal emulators on the system though, so it's a bit of a pain to make use of those binaries unless you're docking with a real keyboard and display.

>Step 15
>Go to your BlackBerry and select the "Media" icon.
>Step 16
>Click "Options" and select the Linux operating system saved on your Micro SD card.
>Media icon
What did they mean by this?

>muh smart

Many people really don't remove the speakers, and mic.

>Why aren't more Jow Forumsentleman buying old Blackberry's?
>They're practically the Thinkpads of phones.
You've just answered yourself, dumbass.

to be fair, im looking for a "phone" just to email from and use twitter when on internet, and dont want to bring anything with me besides a small thing
forced lack of apps might be good

If only blackberry hadn't messed up their marketing back when they released BlackBerry os 10. Its a far more superior os than android and having to deal with Android nowadays triggers the shit out of me.

I had a regular Passport and the battery life was trash compared to my Q10

They've got BlackBerry Maps and it's great. You can patch Android Google Maps to work in BB10OS's Android runtime.

>QNX faded into obscurity
What? It's BlackBerry's cash cow. Uses range from (the best) phones to cars to nuclear power plants

BB10OS is god-tier for that, BlackBerry Hub's built right into the UI and it's a centralized place for IM (no support really anymore unless you know people willing to use BBM), SMS/MMS, and email.

>Q10
>runs .apk
>above 300ppi amoled
>1:1 - the phone has to fit your hand
posted using clover on bbOS

BB10 is is God tier, but blackberry the company is just pants on heads retarded.

Just bought a Passport, pretty excited

I might get one, or a z30, or both. I already owned bb10's in the past, so I know about all the drawbacks.

>runs .apk

Stop this bullshit please. It is stuck with the android 4 version, which means tons of apks simply won't work and can't be installed. Also it eats your battery.

Android isn't secure idiot and is objectively inferior to BB10.
It's basically an S8 with a BlackBerry logo. Modern Blackberries are shit.

They use a custom kernel, and other security theater bullshit. So they are technically more secure, but not really secure.

Get a Keyone and stop living in the past

Pretty much this, you can't even install every app since the android player only supports up to 4.x. Some apps are fucked over the 1:1 aspect ratio of my passport and stuff like whatsapp "work" but it's a downgrade from the native app, I had issues not getting notifications and so on, WA was the main reason I switched to the keyone

No openvpn

Is bb10 still being updated?

>It's BlackBerry's cash cow.
Read the last report. Most of the little money they make still comes frog phones lmfao

Can you test if Ingress, Telegram and AutoMate werks on bb10?
I'm tempted to cop a bb classic

cuz the buttons will eventually break and shit from being in your pocket

It will show up in your media, so you can toggle between BB10 and Linux without rebooting

Because I still use a flip phone. Come on isn't the close to hang up sound more satisfying?

2G is getting phased out in 2019, and modern "dumb phones" are Google botnet and made for pajeets. No thanks.

not him, but my xiaomeme is now two years old I bought it for 200$ back than

>2g getting phased out
Yep I'm totally screwed. Maybe I should start the "get this user into 2018" fund.

So to prevent a phone from getting shitty with age they just make it shitty from the beginning?

Based. RIP my old Blackberry 8900.

I'll get one for my next phone. I fell for the Samsung meme because I wanted to game on my phone.

My $200 chinkshit has lasted me for over 3 years now, and aren't Blackberry phones one of the most fragile? Didn't they have the record returns where for some reason the had more returns than phone sales due to people returning thier broken replacements over and over again?

If I get one of the newer Android ones, can I use the physical keyboard in GBA/DS emulators?

Posting from my botnetberry key 2

Yes works really well with them, though I've not personally tried ds.

BB owns the encryption keys

Do wish it had up to date VPN support.

>show up in your media
What? In the music app? In the file manager where you could simply browse the filesystem? This doesn't make any sense.