Cable or Adapter?

Which one is better? DVI-I to VGA adapter? or DVI-I to VGA cable?

Also, will I get better resolution/refresh rate capability when using DVI-I to VGA, or DVI-D + active converter to VGA? My use case is that I have two CRT's and two LCD's. LCD's plug into DP and HDMI, and I have a DVI-I and a DVI-D port left.

Attached: dvi-vga.png (767x486, 184K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/DVI-D-Active-Adapter-Converter-Cable/dp/B00C93JQXS
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Are you sure that your device even has a dvi-d port? My graphics card doesn’t have any.

it won't make a diff except annoyance. I use one for my second monitor and it makes the whole thing stick out another 2 inches from the back of the case

My 280x has a dvi=i and a div-d on it

Doesn't matter, as long as the DVI port you are connecting to is DVI-D.

DVI-I and DVI-D, pic related.
Perhaps, but what about technical specifications? Sellers say that their product lets me do 1080p@60hz, but I want my monitor to do 1440x1080@85hz, for example.
So should I do:
DVI-D+conv -> VGA High-end CRT
DVI-I -> VGA Low-end CRT

or should I use the DVI-D for the low end crt?

Attached: msi-gtx-970-gaming-3.5g-plus-0.5g.jpg (745x497, 89K)

nvidia shit at it agian

Get an adapter. I have one of those in image, and it didn't work. With the adapter I would still have a functional cable if the adapter didn't work (but in my case it did work).

Displayport-dvi

If your CRT has a VGA jack as opposed to a "permanently" attached cable go for the cable. As for resolution and refresh rate a passive converter will be your best bet unless you're willing to spend time and/or money looking for a good active converter. Most of them are bottom of the barrel crap limited to 60Hz for giving presentations.

DVI-I can only be converted to an analog signal (VGA) by an active converter. Look for a DVI to VGA converter that requires a USB power source, like this one:

amazon.com/DVI-D-Active-Adapter-Converter-Cable/dp/B00C93JQXS

And you'll be getting an analog signal either way, only with the active adapter there's a slight chance there will be some differences in the image since it is being converted by an external adapter rather than the source being the GPU itself.

>DVI-I
Don't you mean DVI-D? I has pins for both analog and digital.

Use dvi to bnc

Right, I always mix the two up without looking at them.

Attached: DVI_pinout.png (1869x584, 72K)

Vga cant go above 60hz, no converter or cable will get around this, so use whatever it doesnt matter. Ive used the little converters, they work fine for 60hz

Im wrong about vga not being able to do 120hz but id be shocked if your minitor supports that

High-end CRTs can go all the way up to 160Hz at 640x480. 120Hz is easily doable at 800x600.

I have the lower one, it just werks

Low-end CRT (85khz, 17") has a 'permanently' attached cable. It won't go above 122hz, regardless of whether it is 640x480 or 800x600. Strange, but is it a monitor problem, GPU problem, or cable problem?
High-end CRT (130khz, 21") (in transit) has a VGA connector/jack.
So I should use the DVI-I -> VGA adapter/passive converter for the high end monitor, for best resolution and refresh rate?

What if I get a converter that doesn't have a USB power source? Is the image and capability significantly worse? Link provided is almost $30, while a decent non-usb-powered one is $12.

adapter > cable? Is this /thread?

I'm posting this with my CRT running at 1200x900@90hz. Not pic related though, that's something I pulled off the world wide web

Attached: 3monitorskicksass.jpg (320x240, 25K)

Attached: 1537560213422.png (624x951, 891K)

The 17" won't go above 122Hz because it's signal decoder isn't capable of syncing to anything higher than that. Get a cheap DVI-D to VGA converter and use it on that, save the GPU's DVI-I port for the 21". Also pray it's not in a million pieces once it arrives.
It's a CRT thread, what did you expect?

DVI-I for which monitor? DVI-D for which monitor? My GPU has DVI-D and DVI-I, not two DVI-I's unfortunately.
That's how I feel like right now but they seriously don't make em like this anymore. It's got better viewing angles than IPS and it's better against motion blur than a 240hz TN.

See the corrected post. DVI-D for 17" and DVI-I for 21".
>It's got better viewing angles than IPS and it's better against motion blur than a 240hz TN.
I feel you fellow boomer. One day micro LED will save us from the hell that is old CRTs and shitty LCDs.

Thank you so much, I appreciate it.

you guys are all retarded saying dumb things like CRT cant go above 60hz or what adaptor to get. you all use shit adaptors on your CRTs that add like more lag than LCD and think your being smart using one.

your all fucking dumb
I have found a adaptor with no lag that can probably do 85hz or higher but I wont tell you about it.

you all fucking suck CRT can do the highest hz possible some can do basically 200hz and basically all that are for sale now can do 1024x768 at 120hz and that's the entire reason to get from free or 10$ from some random on cragy or facey