/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

X210 IS BACK ON SALE (x201 with quadcore coffee lake)
weidian.com/item.html?itemID=2606149490&wfr=qfriend&ifr=itemdetail

Previous thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are NOT welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440s - don't ever buy this meme
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, mini dp, no
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: 080228igljmsllj7zkr7s0.jpg.thumb.jpg (800x534, 35K)

Other urls found in this thread:

weidian.com/item.html?itemID=2606149490&wfr=qfriend&ifr=itemdetail
weidian.com/?userid=387855275&spider_token=b1a0&spider=seller.zx-shopdetail.tabbar.25&wfr=qfriend&ifr=itemdetail
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=1855859
weidian.com/item.html?itemID=2606149490
sohcahtoa.org.uk/openbsd.html
notebookcheck.net/X62-Laptop-Review.211598.0.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>weidian.com/item.html?itemID=2606149490&wfr=qfriend&ifr=itemdetail
this guy is a scammer DO NOT BUY

lmao, what? its their official store
weidian.com/?userid=387855275&spider_token=b1a0&spider=seller.zx-shopdetail.tabbar.25&wfr=qfriend&ifr=itemdetail
stfu before you go spouting bs
they are gonna go out of business soon due to it being a very niche market unless the sales figures increase

we dont need ur fudding

proof
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=1855859
>Order link: weidian.com/item.html?itemID=2606149490
>Please open the above link on the computer webpage, submit the order directly to the account,

Hey guys are there any good new ThinkPads? I'm willing to spend $1000, but I'm not sure which ones would work for OpenBSD. Thanks for any response and for taking valuable out of your day to help me.

why dont you buy one and post with timestamp then
otherwise it's fake and gay

>new thinkpad
>openbsd
holy fuck. stop. please. just fucking stop. you are mixing two diametrically opposed autisms. this isnt how autism is supposed to work.

Just buy a used X220 on Ebay for like ~$150. Linux distros and OpenBSD runs perfectly on it.

Also here are some installation instructions for X220:
sohcahtoa.org.uk/openbsd.html

Thank you so much user. Really appreciate the time you took to find that guide. God bless you.
I'll admit that I don't know much. Sorry for aggravating you.

Funny scream.

>I'll admit that I don't know much. Sorry for aggravating you.
its all good, i was mostly messing with you. however, *bsd is not good for modern hardware as its lacking most hardware support as well as basic software compatibility. bsd is just a fad on Jow Forums with the whole coc memery. just stick with gentoo/void/arch/parabola/whatever the fuck you want. but for buying a thinkpad, its surprising how much performance you can get out of an old one. if you dont plan on playing any games, you can easily get away with a t61 with a cpu upgrade. for about 150-200 bucks, you can get a 14" t61, a core 2 duo x9000, and 2x4gb ddr2 pc-5300 sodimm.

Ooh thanks for enlightening me user. I've been lurking for a while, but I couldn't tell if CoC was something that serious. Really appreciate the time you took to provide a good example ThinkPad setup!

>x201 with quadcore coffee lake
So how does this work? Is it a full-custom mobo or did they just desolder the old components and put in new ones?

Attached: 1538538116779.jpg (640x853, 456K)

It's a full custom mobo

Wow. That takes real dedication. I guess it all goes to show how much people like the old ThinkPad chassis and keyboard.

Is the T440 any good? I can change the track pad so that's not an issue but how is Linux compatibility with it?

it's not real..

Yeah, 51nb has done similar boards for the X60, T60, and X220/X230.

Attached: X62.jpg (1839x1143, 1.25M)

this photo is not a proof that it exists

What? Notebookcheck, a VERY well respected laptop review site even got one...
notebookcheck.net/X62-Laptop-Review.211598.0.html

Assuming it's real how hard is it to build a ThinkPad with one of those custom boards? I'm highly tempted to order a x201 and mod it now, and if I do I'm definitely posting here with it.

functional.. in thew first time of NDYuOTQyMzU4MiwtMTEwLjY3NjM1NzI= stars.

ibusiness machine -> 5!!?

gr死w in5shalling new software

Attached: z119help.png (640x400, 25K)

you ok user?

Attached: ufo.jpg (1280x720, 84K)

sicp edit this please

Attached: shimarin_austism.png (1280x2160, 2.2M)

Jesus fucking Christ, why is my x230 so slow all of a sudden? I use to have android studio emulator, VBox with SQL Server, 200+ Chrome tabs.
Now every clean format Windows or Linux feels like shit.
Did I get meme'd again?

we're fine, are you fine

Attached: 20180908_195530.jpg (5312x2988, 1.84M)

really though, this is a chicony key right?

Post ThinkCats

Attached: IMG_20181003_051349.jpg (2976x3968, 1.65M)

Dusted off my old X60 Tablet this week and set it up to dual boot Lubuntu and Windows 7. I've been impressed by how snappy web browsing is under Linux.

Attached: 1002182313_HDR.jpg (4656x3492, 1.89M)

Does anyone here have experience in recelling chink batteries? If so, is there anything to look out for and did it work well?

Attached: 15086183415591.jpg (2560x1600, 566K)

Anyone here know of any decent new ThinkPads? Need to run Windows 10 for corporate use.

FYI there's an x210 for sale on eBay right now. Costs way more than the board and chassis but it does come with some extras.

>breaking news
>these laptops called "thinkpads" have been exploding and are a public hazard. Please contact your local authorities if you see someone using these thick and ugly black laptops in public

>X210 IS BACK ON SALE (x201 with quadcore coffee lake)
can it run windows 7?

No but it can run Linux

I can't even connect to my college's wifi with linux, no thanks.

Eduroam? Just install the certificate and use WPA2 with user authentication.

nice try cia nigger

It's just a public key. Much better than the literal malware they call an autoinstaller all normalfags spring for. For the record I'm on Windows and specifically chose instructions for Linux so I could manually install the certificate.

Yeah and I wonder how much your mum pays for your therapy.

Got an X220 that intermittently charges with a third party charger. It will charge for a few seconds then disconnect and repeat that cycle. If I remove my genuine 9 cell battery I can run it off AC fine. But as soon as I plug the battery in it charges intermittently on and off every few seconds. I didn't have this issue with my old OEM charger but that's long gone now and I have a third party charger for it now. Could it be that the charger isn't providing enough power to power the device and charge the battery? I am no electrical engineer and don't know how it would be wired up. I've researched to no avail but I guess I will bite the bullet soon and buy a genuine charger from Lenovo.

Attached: 1475516097441.jpg (298x298, 14K)

It's probably a "smart" charging system where the battery and charger communicate to set optimal voltage/amperage levels. The third-party charger probably isn't responding and it's causing the charge controller to go into some kind of autoprotect.

I thought they said its only missing the graphical driver and you can get one from their t70 mod. Never tried installing windows 7 on my x210

Where do I buy an ips screen for x230 in EU? How much do they usually cost?

Anyone have any experience/advice with re-pasting an x220/230? Bought one with an i7 refurbished off newegg and it idles around 50-63C with just 1 tab open on Palemoon. Ordered some Arctic thermal paste & should be picking it up along with some 91% ISO alcohol tomorrow.

Would I be pretty safe with the 5-dot method? Never repasted any CPU before but it seems like a pretty straightforward process.

How did I do?

Attached: t430.png (1068x617, 87K)

How big of an upgrade is an x1 carbon 6th gen i5-8250U over an i5 surface pro 4 performance wise? Can it handle light gaming/dolphin emulation?

If it's anything at all like repasting a T420 it shouldn't be too difficult. If you have a desktop not in use or something you might want to practice cleaning off existing paste and applying new paste on that if possible just so you're comfortable with it.

kys

Most of the videos I've seen were people just cleaning the old paste off with some cotton swabs and 91% ISO alcohol, maybe a plastic scraping tool as well. I don't have to worry about any of the little fibers from the cotton swabs or anything, do I?

> shit keyboard
not too good.

Yeah. Depending on the age of the paste involved it might be a little more like thermal cement but then all that's really needed there is a little firmness. There's no IHS but you're not going to damage the board with what little force you can apply via a wet cotton swab. Also don't worry if the contact point on the heatsink is a little discoloured, all that's important is that you clean it back down to the metal. If any stray fibers do somehow end up on there just give it a wipe down with something like a tissue, should be fine. Thermal paste swaps on any device are one of the simpler maintenance procedures you can do, just don't freak out about getting in the guts of your machine, keep your screws organized and keep your disassembly/reassembly instructions close at hand and you'll be golden.

Thanks for the in-depth advice, user. I'm really looking forward to doing this since the only thing holding me back from using my chinkpad full-time has been the high operating temps I've been experiencing.

Not bad, unless that doesn't have the 900p screen.

check your cpu cooling. probably the thermal paste needs to be replaced.

ebay or amazon.co.uk/.de ... usually below 100 euros

Where's the trap?

Attached: FaceApp_1535314171406.jpg (1280x1280, 780K)

How does the w530 stack up today, I plan on getting one and maxing it, the only games I'd play is skyrim and arma 2, most of the work it would see is CAD stuff. Also planning on integrating a USB type C spoofer into it so I can charge it via USB PD.

Yes it is? Search 51nb x201 (sometimes called the x210)

T480s or T480? New or used?

oh god, oh fuck
just bought my second memepad
I'm running out of money, guys

My laptop has bitten the dust and I always liked thinkpads. I've got a 400€ budget, give or take, that would be way more than enough in the states. I'm looking for a T520 for now. Any anons from yurop know some good places to buy cheap refurb/used in good state, and what prices I should be excepting? I was looking at some with the quad core i7 and of course at least 900p. I guess if I can get a good one a T420 would do too, but it's my first one so hard to say.

I got a w541 that I use for abaqus solidworks and hypermesh and it does great, except driver support for sw is shit. I guess a w530 would be fine

I tripped on a concrete crevice and my T420 was in the man pulse. I hope it's okay.

Attached: 1538379567234.png (1000x750, 526K)

DO NOT BUY CHINKPAD
SUPPORT LOCAL MADE HP OR DELL

>Edge

What the fuck

bought my third thinkpad
X1 lmao

Pls respond

Attached: sadd.jpg (480x602, 79K)

beautiful

>X210 IS BACK ON SALE
Haven't we suffered enough?

please dont buy any new thinkpads. if you dont play games (at least any recent 3d ones), you can easily get by with a decade old thinkpad with a simple upgrade. has a cheap budget build for a decked out t61 that can be the start of a frankenpad build thats actually worth being proud of. just dont fall for the DE meme. i3wm or bspwm. you must choose one.

agreed, but keep in mind that microsoft has a cool little feature where sometimes it decides chrome is gonna be nonfunctioning and doesnt get to actually load pages within 30 seconds.

are you a retarded person?

yes

OTHER BUSINESS LAPTOPS USED TO BE WELCOME HERE

How long should a 6 cell battery last on T420?
I know this question depends on many variables, but what's the minimum time I should expect?
And how do I know the battery is lenovo's original battery and not a counterfeit one?

Attached: 1422600147671.gif (430x241, 968K)

Any thoughts?

Attached: 1402611143654.jpg (500x500, 50K)

Is X61 really useful?
Unless you use it for wrod processing, I don't see any other use, most modern websites can't be browsed unless you have powerful CPU.

Attached: x61-1-800x1000.jpg (800x1000, 83K)

>minimum time
no such thing. it could be 5 hours, it could be 5 minutes, it could be 5 seconds, it could be too low of a voltage to post
just get a project t61 like this . its cheap enough and everything except the gpu is modular and upgradeable. plus, youll have plenty of cash left over

>no such thing
Then what's the average of a chink 6 cell battery?

ive been jewed before with chink batteries, but assuming you got a legit 6cell, probably about 5 hours depending on usage. you might be able to squeeze 8 if you really tweak it for battery life, but for heavier usage at most like 3-4 hours

So a minimum of 1 to 2 hours should be expected?
>heavier usage
Like watching videos?

constant nonshit quality video should get you like 3ish hours while lower res should get you like 4-4.5 hours

I see, how do I tell the difference between original lenovo battery from a counterfeit chink one?

I've found a thinkpad seller hat sell refurbished and used thinkpad.
He doesn't have any return policy once the thinkpad leaves the store it's yours.
But you get to test the thinkpad in person and see for yourself if something wrong.
So what/how do I check it?
>check for cracks in the chaise
>check BIOS password
>Disable computrance
Those that I could think off, maybe bring a Hiren's boot cd and test the Ram and hdd as well.
Any other tips or things I could test for? As for the battery the seller claims it is generic chink battery and guarantee to last at least 1 hour.

Attached: 1538539358681.png (471x488, 274K)

theres a utility that tells you your battery SN, but idk if it works on older batteries/laptops. however, chink batteries aren't necessarily bad, but you should definitely run a multimeter on it and then do some stresstesting to check how legit the reported numbers are. however, i have heard that lenovo will replace the batteries in official batteries, but idk the circumstances

>multimeter
Where do I put the probes?
>stresstesting
Like leaving it open without power source?

Attached: s-l1600.png (1600x1200, 1.15M)

Just got X220, what version of windows should I use?
Win7, Win8.1, or Win 10?

Attached: 1537753643769.jpg (500x675, 101K)

>weidian.com/item.html?itemID=2606149490&wfr=qfriend&ifr=itemdetail

I don't understand, it's ¥3399.00? that's like 25 yuros? It cant be chat cheap for a board and cpu can it? what else does it need? I see people mentioning a screen but google translate is fucky

>multimeter
check the battery section of the hardware manual (you should be able to find this off of Google). or you can just fiddle around with the different contacts on the battery until you get a voltage. just make sure the voltage and amperage are within acceptable limits (again in the hardware manual).
>stresstesting
yeah, just timing how long it takes for the battery to die, specifically under load. so a few tests could be a cpu stresstest program or just youtube on autoplay. the numbers exposed to the operating system are notoriously inaccurate with old batteries.
win10 is best win if you disable all the telemetry and shit. remove all the start tiles and you get s nice program menu. right click the task bar to hide cortana search bar, people button, and task view button
thats chinese yuan, so thats 428 eur

That's in Chinese yuan, CNY, around 500 USD

>testing the amperage of a lithium battery with probes
Have fun with your blown multimeter fuse/shorted battery.

>X210 IS BACK ON SALE (x201 with quadcore coffee lake)

Can it be librebooted?

is it safe to buy a used thinkpad without checking it before paying? i live in a middle of nowhere so i can't find anything local

T480s is the best option.

everything can be replaced on it, so go ahead

Yeah, if it doesnt work you are legally required a refund
What website are you buying from?