Has anyone here ever set up a Pi Hole? Does it slow down your internet...

Has anyone here ever set up a Pi Hole? Does it slow down your internet? Does it make any peer to peer programs not work properly? I'd like to have no ads on youtube without rooting my phone

Attached: 91zSu44+34L._SX466_[1].jpg (466x300, 33K)

Doesn't work for Youtube ads.

Try NewPipe from F-Droid

fuck off phoneposter

Doesn't slow your internet down, it's literally just DNS forwarding. If you don't know what that means, look it up.

It can reduce the number of youtube ads you see if you keep your blocklists up to date, but that requires a ton of manual effort.

>automatic updates
>effort
wut

It speeds your internet up if anything, however it doesn't work on youtube ads.

Would highly recommend it if you're not a brainlet. Took me a few days to get it set up correctly, but it's totally worth it.

Show me a block list for google video domains that’s kept up to date.

I end up scrounging the web for new ones every few months to keep YouTube ads down

What is the issue with youtube ads? With only ublock origin I haven't seen a youtube ad in over a year, does pihole just have shit lists?

>took me a few days
let me guess, did you have to make the pi your dhcp server as well because your router is shit? My recc to you and OP would be, if that happens, manually select the pi as the dns server from each individual device rather than fucking around with making the pi the dhcp server as well. Saves a lot of time.

Pihole is literally just a DNS server with a pre-made and maintained set of known advertiser domains that sites use. Youtube however integrates it's ads more or less within the Youtube domain itself, to horribly oversimplify things. Basically, simple DNS blocking doesn't work, or at most sometimes it does work but then after a week things change and it won't. Just keep UBlock Origin running but keep using Pihole to speed up your browsing, as having ads blocked at the DNS level rather than browser level still helps.

No idea I'm using NewPipe on phone and mpv with youtube-dl on PC/laptop and no ads here

I enjoyed pi hole but every so often id run into a website that didnt work properly if i had the pi hole turned on. I didnt bother to do any other work snd just got rid of it

YouTube hosts majority of it's ads so it can't be blocked with Superior DNS blocking. You can use Firefox &ublock or just use new pipe. Both work fine.
I still run pihole it saves a lot of bandwidth

They do tend to come from specific subdomains, though. There's lists out there to just block those google subdomains, and while they don't eliminate ads, they do lower how many you see.

Youtube Vanced is great. Better then newpipe.

For your phone just use newpipe

>I'd like to have no ads on youtube
Just use NewPipe

I made one. Waste of time and money. Doesn't even work on https sites, thus most sites I visit still had ads. My in-browser ad-blocker did way more.

so what's a piHole? some kind of glorified DNS server?

It's mostly for people who can't use their own DNS blocklists for whatever reason, any router that can use new Tomato firmwares can already do this

Attached: 15153535.png (271x503, 15K)

it's also something that gives people an excuse for owning a pi

I run Pihole on a VM - works fine, no impact on connectivity speds