Trade GTX 1080 for Vega 64?

I run Linux, obviously.

Thinking of trading my 1080 for a Vega 64. I like open source drivers, and some of the games I play have some nvidia-specific issues.

Right now, according to Phoronix, the Vega 64 underperforms at 1080p/144hz. What are the chances that the drivers will keep improving to the point that it reaches or surpasses 1080 performance in the near future?

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (1000x831, 89K)

Other urls found in this thread:

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=july-2018-gpus&num=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

just be yourself :^)

No you moron

You're getting a slower card.
But if speed is not everything, you can try doing that.

they're roughly equal so whatever floats your boat.

In gayming they are pretty much one to one, at least benchmarks seem to state so.

Attached: aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9SL1IvNzcwODIzL29yaWdpbmFsL1BVQkctRlBTLUdUWDEwODAtdnMtVmVnYTY0 (711x533, 43K)

You mean the non ti, yes it's kinda the same shit.
If noveau is sucking dicks on your PC and you're tired of having to use the exact kernel nvidia want you to use, then AMD may be a good choice.

> You're getting a slower card.
BS. Vega 64 is between 1080 and Ti, was made specifically to target 1080.

Vega64 uses up to 450w though, unless you under volt it which you should, but most games are not optimized for Vega so it's like getting a slower card even though it has better specs.

OP, AMD provides better support at the moment for linux. You also get freesync support. The only concern is power draw, but if your PSU is capable enough and cooling is sufficient it's not much of a concern.

>AMD provides better support at the moment for linux
They don't. In fact Nvidia provides better proprietary drivers for Linux. The thing AMD has going for them is open source drivers.

>Vega64 uses up to 450w though
ahahaha_oh_wow.jpg
>most games are not optimized for Vega
Well guess what? Op specifically said he only runs linux and it's not like nvidia's linux driver are anything like windows one. Optimizations don't apply there and nvidia's support in linux is overall shit. It's only viable for GPGPU, not for gaming.

Radeon allows you to keep your system up to date, is more stable and generally better vidya performance in linux. But proton is made by basedboys and they only fixing shit for nvidia while breaking things for radeon. If you use wine it's not a problem, but if you want proton it's probably better not to switch, basedboys will eventually cover more games with proton.

AMD's open source drivers are better than novideo's proprietary drivers so what is your point?

No they're not. You have no idea what you're talking about.

you forgot to put on that dumb trip

Why would you fucking do that?

Have you ever dealt with Nvidia's proprietary drivers in Linux? There is a long list of things you must do including moving to a specific kernel version, resolving your own dependencies, and changing the default boot mode to install Nvidia's proprietary drivers, and you must do this manually for each update. At any given time your entire graphical environment may stop working with an update because Nvidia are a bunch of cunts who demand special snowflake treatment with their own APIs, which may or may not work correctly in a new version of your DE/WM.

Meanwhile, AMD's driver installation can be handled entirely by your package manager and will be updated and have dependencies resolved automatically, and they actually make an effort to support the open standards developed by the community.

Nvidia proprietary drivers are much better than AMD's open source and proprietary drivers. That's a fact. Do you even use Linux?

Yet it performs worse and is far less power efficient and runs hot as fuck.

The 1080 is 2 years old and 2 years on, amd can't even come close to it.

I'm not talking about which one is easier to use, I'm saying Nvidia has the better performing drivers.

Obviously I do

It is less power efficient but it performs about equal to a 1080, and I say this as an owner of both cards. And with an aftermarket cooler Vega puts off a lot of heat, but it does not run hot. Or do you even understand the difference?

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=july-2018-gpus&num=1

On some games, the 1080 outperforms the Vega 64. The difference works out to about 5% average, which is definitely not worth the hassle of dealing with Nvidia's drivers.

*5% difference at 1080p, I didn't look at other resolutions.

If you can wait, then wait until AMD releases their new upcoming GPU. I don't think it's worth it now unless you get a really good deal for it.

t. vega 64 owner

If you only use GNU/Linux, YES for the love of God.
AMD driver support is much better. (Not as good for games though, but still good.)

t. several PCs with both GPUs

Thread somewhat related but I have a GTX 1060 and I'm thinking about moving over to Linux. How fucked am I?

Attached: 1536100454290.jpg (337x290, 56K)

>Proton≠Wine+Patches+Scripts

Attached: game_theoryredactedfuck_off.jpg (600x482, 33K)

Wayland doesn't even work with Nvidia.

You're either retarded or the last time you used AMD graphics on Linux was in 2010.

Don't expect to play games without screen tearing.

Those are Windows benchmarks. The amdgpu drivers for Linux are getting better, but they still don't have the same compatibility or performance as NVIDIA's proprietary ones.

Oh...maybe I won't move over to Linux then.

Attached: 1524002534776.png (407x654, 318K)

This. I'm Waiting™ for AMD's next generation eagerly. I have RX480 8GB and it's not overkill enough in Linux gaming. I want to throw parts at it until the performance overkill diminishes the bad optimization. I'm also planning to get Zen 2 when it comes. My whole desktop PC was built with Linux gaming in mind so I don't want proprietary hardware more than I have to have. That means no goy-sync monitor and GPU. I can consider Nvidia if they start to be the absolute best in Linux gaming but it doesn't look like it currently. AMD is making an effort at least by having open source drivers which the kernel developers can use.

Attached: 1481892634492.gif (640x360, 1.55M)

Depends on how much you can get for your 1080. The sapphire card is $500 and is the best running vega 64 card from what I've seen. It runs pretty similar to a 1080 with some slight differences. If you are planning on using a freesync monitor you'll save around $250-$300 not buying g-sync (using 1440p 144hz monitor as reference).

IMO it MIGHT be worth it to switch over if you can get enough for your current card to cover the costs of the new one. If you have already invested in a g-sync monitor I wouldn't recommend it. Also make sure this isn't just buyer's remorse. Often when we buy expensive stuff we find out there may have been a better choice, even though the differences are barely noticable. I had this issue when I got my sapphire vega 64 and wondered if i should have just forked over extra for a 1080 ti. Long story short I made the right choice and kept it since I would have never have used the full capabilities of the 1080 ti anyways.

vsync in games work, it's in the desktop compositor that it's a nightmare.

I am going to be straight with you. Just install Windows. Lunix is great if you want to web browse and do basic things like watching movies and listening to music but windows just does everything a computer is supposed to do. At some point you are going to have to completely abandon the Internet if you want to escape the botnet or just give up and use a normal OS that can do everything.

what about openbsd