Just installed memebsd, going to try and give it a legit review

Just installed memebsd, going to try and give it a legit review
Good:
>installation was fantastic, Linux distros WISH they could install their OS in 4 hits of the enter key and like 10 minutes
>default font rendering isn't that bad
>this is an older laptop and everything just werked
>fvwm and simple and clean
>package manager seems nice to work with and probably wont try to delete half my system if I want to uninstall something
>no systemd or cock makes me feel at ease and comfortable with my computer
the bad:
>my ssd is being eaten alive as I type this
>can't get mednafen or retroarch to build so I can test out the graphical performance
>no optimus support at all
>ports tree doesn't have as much software as the AUR or gentoo, I would have to build ungoogled-chromium on my own for example
>can't set battery thresholds like I can on linux

Attached: 2018-10-05-145253_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 471K)

Other urls found in this thread:

quora.com/Is-TRIM-support-at-the-OS-level-still-necessary-or-are-more-recent-SSDs-able-to-deal-with-it-automatically
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

guess no one cares

Attached: pepe_crying_buhu.jpg (600x552, 36K)

which memeBSD did you install?

It literally says OpenBSD 6.3 in the bottom right hand corner if you weren't too much of a lazy ass to click the picture.

>using openbsd with a ssd
this is a massive mistake user

not op but it feels like bsd IS a huge mistake

Kys frogposter.

it's a great alternative to linux if your hardware is supported. good luck having any graphics acceleration or subpar wireless support with any other open source OS

is this true for BSDs other than openBSD?

Support for hardware is better on the other *BSD operating systems

I was excluding linux and BSD when I said that. without a doubt, you will get the best support if you use freebsd but you will have to deal with the CoC if that actually bugs you

>>installation was fantastic, Linux distros WISH they could install their OS in 4 hits of the enter key and like 10 minutes
Yes, I also noticed that.
Seriously Linux distros, how can you fuck up this badly?

>muh ssd
>being this much of a consumerist faggot

I wanted to install it so I can hack on the kernel (like port SSD TRIM support over from NetBSD) but it wouldn't install on my system because I have a GTX 1080Ti. It just hangs when booting up the installer.

Lol arch users don't know about real OSes

I'll give you a trick to reduce ssd write amplification
say you have 1000gb
set a 200gb partition at the end of the disk and issue trim on all the blocks covered by that partition. don't ever use it for anything else
for actual use just use the first 800gb.
your ssd's firmware will use those 200gb of extra blocks as a scratchpad and eventually internally erase the blocks that you write over without having to send the actual commands. this is called user level overprovisioning

try cwm, it's quite nice and it's installed by default

nvidiacuck btfo

I do also have RX 480 and RX Vega 64 that I could use but I use GTX 1080 Ti for some DX12 programming on Windows.

>booting slowly
>waiting for file transfers
feels great being a non-conformist 17 year old doesn’t it?

It's ok, the couple hours per year I waste aren't worth the opportunity cost of buying an SSD.

My memebsd review:
> Installation went fine
> Wifi drivers doesn't work
> Use my Linux PC to find fix
> Fix requires converting a Windows driver

Then I dropped that shit OS. Maybe in another 10 years.

OP here, what kind of card are you using?
All I had to do was connect with ethernet and run fw_update -a and wifi just werked for me.
It felt good not having to enable any nigger-tier services like network manager or pulseaudio

bcm4313.
I having tried fw_update yet. Having to drag out an ethernet cable is a pain.

>tfw openbsd 6.3 now works perfectly on my computer
damn, i used to have no sound at all. only thing is the fan is slightly louder than when i'm using windows but that was also a problem in linux.

i have to admit that they should make your PC restart after it runs fw_update on the initial boot though. it tends to leave you with a blank screen since the firmware isn't active until you reboot.

You're using 90s Unix. What the fuck did you expect? If you want a non-shit version of Unix then install a Solaris distribution like OpenIndiana. If you want a Unix-like desktop oriented OS then install macOS or Haiku. Everything else is hot garbage.

>You're using 90s Unix
keked
But no, practically speaking Win>Loonix>MacOS>*BSDs>OpenSolaris>Haiku>Minix>plan 9/inferno>TempleOS

Then why are you complaining? Linux baby? Boo hoo, my dribers weren't inshtalled! Hand me the fucking bottle.

why?

lurk more

I'm not crying. My criticism is that BSD isn't oriented towards anyone who wants to get shit done without having to fight the OS. This drivers shit was figured out years ago but superior OSes.

Okay, I'll bite. TempleOS isn't even supposed to be used for everyday tasks.

>Windows on top
Kill yourself

>non-gpl software
dropped

Attached: 1530301954199.jpg (690x460, 186K)

Yeah, OP, I agree with some of those pros and cons but I mainly use OpenBSD for the ladies

Attached: 1512390381383.gif (312x176, 827K)

OpenBSD works fine with SSDs. Drives have handled wear leveling in the firmware for years and it doesn't affect their useful life. TRIM is only useful if you want to keep using SSDs past spec, at which point buying a new drive will be half the price and triple the size. quora.com/Is-TRIM-support-at-the-OS-level-still-necessary-or-are-more-recent-SSDs-able-to-deal-with-it-automatically

>linux baby
is this another codeword for "fuck you for not having our one very specific set of hardware"?
t. openbsd cannot connect to internet in any way or form, not ethernet, not wifi (even though the included drivers work)

Everything was good until I noticed they don't support Nvidia graphics cards (or nvidia doesn't support them)

Attached: 764812307.jpg (720x720, 75K)

so you use lsh then

>Be me, install memebsd (first day)
> spend hours developing documents for future project, plan to backup files next day

>try to shutdown, $ sudo shutdown now
>computer logs me out, but brings me to root shell for some reason
> $sync then just turn off computer at wall
> Turn computer on next day
> computer won't boot
> mfw

Attached: 1537408743863.jpg (240x240, 7K)

> Later realised you have to $shutdown -p now to power down the computer correctly

>This drivers shit was figured out years ago but superior OSes.
yeah by letting the blob niggers poz the kernel with their garbage, which paved the way for the CoCK
OpenBSD right now is like linux in 2006, and I wouldn't have it any other way

to the openbsd users ITT: do you run -current or -stable?
I'm trying it on a shitty laptop that I pretty much never use so I would probably update once every 3-4 months.
that's fine for -stable but I would like to have some packages like browsers on newer versions.
so can I run -current even if I update very rarely? or do I just get the newer shit that I want from ports and stay on -stable?

Attached: 1520902815572.jpg (549x808, 409K)

It just werkz bro

how the FUCK do i enable cwm on startup. OpenBSD seems to ignore my .Xinitrc entirely

BSD good only for 80386 PC.

Attached: 1537154951011.jpg (903x960, 52K)

I tried FreeBSD and after compiling a basic usable system for half a day I found out my wifi card was unusable garbage. I tried upgrading to current since there was a newer driver but couldn't figure out how to recover from my ports being totally broken and just re-installed everything. Then I found out the wifi was still broken and couldn't get networking to a Linux VM with the wifi card passed through to it working so I gave up and went back to Debian... after re-installing Debian because I somehow broke the filesystem making room for FreeBSD.

Would rate 7/10 better experience than Windows 10.

It's called .xinitrc not .Xinitrc

>my ssd is being eaten
>implies lack of SSD TRIM
which means Open

>laptop gets hit
>hdd gets corrupted
>ssd works like nothing happened
ssd is what you get if you value your files
hdd is what you get if you're hoarder ie consumerist

meanwhile on superior systemd/Linux
$systemctl shutdown niw

Ubuntu installs in less than 5 minutes for me.

Install DragonflyBSD you losers.

> Provides a link to Quota
Haha. You fucking idiot