E-ink and ebook reader thread

This shit is technology too.

Friend recently scratched the shit out of my paperwhite screen and it's feeling about time for an upgrade anyway. Please help me decide between the current flagship of kindle or kobo. Tired of dealing with touchscreen-only, so I want something with physical controls for pageturning at least.

Kindle has been the no-brainer up to this point because of the library and connectivity, but the new kobo reader is making a hell of a good argument from the screen size increase to the non-cancerous OS to the waterproofing. Can't afford Sony and they like doing stupid shit with formats anyway.

Anyone used both varieties of readers before and able to chime in with their thoughts and preferences between the two?

Already use calibre to break drm bullshit on all my amazon purchases, so wouldn't lose anything by switching except auto-download and easy access to the store.

Oasis is $300 for the non-cancer version with decent capacity, Forma is $280 for a bit less storage and a bigger/nicer screen.

Attached: kindls_vs_kobo.jpg (1920x960, 423K)

Kobo H2O has good format support, is more hackable, and has an SD card slot
But also does not have buttons

try to get a used kindle voyage if you like using buttons
cheaper, discontinued, pretty nice from the minimal amount ive used one

Love my Aura One. I'd recommend Kobo if only because the software is better, less invasive and epubs seem to be formatted so much better than mobis.

Kobo is based

Pointless to buy one unless it can display PDFs natively.
You need to shell out around $500 for a good one that can, like Sony DPS.

I remember hearing about color e-ink years ago. Still not out?

Not everyone is reading PDFs on their ereader, you autist

I've got one of the first kindles. No touch screen, just buttons. No 4G only wifi. 1GB of storage and NO backlight. wtf is a point of using a ereader if they have a backlight?
Literally all you'll ever need, battery life is months

Is there anything were I can read pdfs AND take notes on them? By notes I mean text and drawings on top of the pdf.

Basically, is there any tech out there than can really replace pen and paper? I read a lot of articles in pdf and I take a lot of notes and right summaries on the borders. I am looking for a tech solution as my desk is covered on paper and it is not efficient anymore.

ReMarkable?

just get a used tablet, why the fuck do you need an eink?

I had a Kobo H2O and used to love it. Now I am aiming at something with a bigger screen. Not sure between the Sony Digital Meme and the new Kobo Forma.

I have tried using and ipad but it is way too bright and makes my sight tired very quickly. I am looking for something that will make reading and taking notes more convenient, but keep the experience similar.

I just bought a new kindle for it's backlight. Haven't opened it yet. Why does everything have to be touchscreen? The old ones are so much easier to hold without accidentally changing the page. I need a backlight though.

I'm waiting on a larger version that I can read and write on with software and hardware specs that aren't complete fucking ass

It's amazing how little effort ereader companies put into their products

Got a Boox Max 2 for textbooks and notes and I'm loving it so far. It even has microHDMI in so it works as a monitor too

The H2O is really good for a mid-price reader. The Forma looks perfect if you want to spend that kind of money.

They all use the same (iirc freescale) SoC because it's the only one with in-built support for eink screens.

Had a Kobo glo since 2012 still works great.

There are basically android tablets out there with E-Ink screens.
They run for $600 though, so be advised.

>Have Kindle PW3
>Use the integrated browser to visit libgen.io
>Download every book imaginable in mobi or azw3 format

E-books are literally the embodiment of the library of Alexandria between our hands.

OP here, thanks for the discussion folks. Forma has been preordered.

no, mirasol never went anywhere because reasons

you can blame smartphones mostly, since everyone dumped their research into smaller higher-density LCD screens

the illuminated e-ink readers use a front light, not a backlight, and it's an extreme quality of life improvement

Wowee Boox shilling
big surprise

I love mine too. Comfort view is great when I want or have to read something at night.

I kinda sucks how Kobo took out SD card support on their latest models. I'd buy a Forma if it had expandable storage. I'm sticking with my Aura HD for as long as it lasts.

Attached: 1446227203487.jpg (1280x720, 84K)

Why can't I talk about Boox without being called a shill but nobody else is getting called out for discussing Kindle, Kobo, etc.?

Sony Digital Paper
Looking at 500 buckos.

I have a kobo glo since forever, still works.
I've been thinking about getting one with a bigger screen.

What is the cheapest E-ink ereader that 'just works'?

Get Kobo only if the comfort light is a killer feaure for you too.
But be prepared for laggy software and uneven lighting. Seriously, their production standards and quality control are horrible. On average you'll have to send back maybe 5 of them before you get a good one.

Cheap ereaders don't just work with PDF files.

If it's for PDFs, better get a cheap Android tablet.

because there is a total of one person pushing boox for the last 3 weeks

I'm not pushing anything, I'm just discussing my new ereader in an ereader thread.

I slept for 12 hours

Main problem remains PDF support: Most devices suck ass when it comes to PDF.

I have around 35 gigs of PDFs and I want to read the comfy. Any ideas?

Attached: 1531961530295.jpg (300x440, 25K)

Kobo is shit software for pdfs. I have kobo aura one with newest software. Crashes on some pdfs, cant set margins in a way that doesn't reset on each page flim (centering resets). I have to use ko reader for pdfs. At least it is easy to jailbreak unlike kindle.

Instal koreader to kobo/pocketbook with big screen.

I quite like my Kindle Voyage, which has haptic buttons on both sides for page turning. I find they work pretty well. That said, if I were buying new today I would be looking for something that's waterproof.

>ReMarkable
This. I have one and it still has issues, but the last few updates are bretti gud.

Main problem is the way that it renders ebooks, so you can't parse the fucking text. Turns everything into images and there's a delay in the generation of a new image when you switch font size.

Isn't colour e-ink in development? How's that going?

The problem with PDFs is they're usually formatted for A4 printing. Most e-ink readers are A5, so you're either going antmode or zooming, neither of which are satisfactory. A tablet is better because of the refresh when zooming/scrolling, but the reality is PDF is a shit format designed by fags not suitable for reading on computer devices. If there's an A4 size e-ink reader it might be OK, but best bet is either reflow live on the reader which is pretty rare, or convert to epub offline which is doable for some PDFs.

Get a refurb Kobo.

Honestly dude, lower the brightness and use a surface pro/ipad with their respective pens. OneNote is a godsend

not the worst

PDF is a fucking awful format for ebooks, the problem is not with the readers.

What is Jow Forums's preferred font for e-readers? Currently using the Paperwhite default, I have access to Windows/macOS fonts.

It's not lupus

honestly i dont give a fuck as long as its somewhat close to times new roman

could someone tell me to get reading
i have a paperwhite collecting dust and i need to get back to books

What 'were' you reading user?

Get reading user you
Can do it big boy. Mom and dad love you xoxo

Can the Kindle paperwhite display pdfs?

Does Kobo still show the book title permanently on top of the display? Such a stupid waste of space.

Easy to disable.

I am waiting for prices to fall. For what you're getting, they are way overpriced, and most of them are a pain in the dick to use due to shitty software. If they think I will pay all that money for a locked down, shitty device that can't even load large files within a reasonable amount of time, they can forget it. When the HD ones are less than $100 we can talk.

it's not a backlight, it's a frontlight and if it's an oasis, you can disable the touchscreen, don't know about paperwhite

a whole novel is like hundreds of kilobytes in size, why the fuck would you need external storage when 1 or 2 GB are more than enough for hundreds and hundreds of books?

Oh, wait, you're a weeb who reads Chinese cartoons, fuck off and buy a tablet, ereaders are too small for comfortable reading of comics, anyway, no matter the resolution.

buy a goddamn tablet, or a giant ass 10 or more inches e-reader which are crazy expensive since they're mostly designed for professional use.

PDF is not good for ereaders, it's a fucking archival format, I bet you listen to your music in FLAC, you moron

>I am waiting for prices to fall.
never going to happen, unless we get more (actual) display manufacturers

>Can the Kindle paperwhite display pdfs?

yes, but it's not optimal, because the screen size is small and pdf's are huge, and you have to scroll around a lot and the screen refresh rate, while good for turn pages, is shit for scrolling around, and pdfs with support for reflow are very rare

PDFs on ereaders are a miserable experience!

This The only thing I dislike about pw is that left side of the screen is used to go back a page, right side go forward. Sometimes I just want to hold it with my left hand and cant turn the page forward (rotating the screen upside down also not possible), voyage is better because both page forward/page back buttons are on both sides
But get kobo aura one or the new forma if yu have the cash (bigger same dpi screen, also better backlight, pw blue backlight is horrible)