Rate *nix WM's

rate *nix WM's

Attached: 1523352901736.jpg (442x293, 57K)

What are you asking for?

Aqua > all

Attached: when she sees your rendering results.jpg (763x987, 349K)

for supreme knowledge

I mean WM's that are proper independent WM's, not parts of a (proprietary) desktop environment

when can we get aqua on linux guys

WM =/= DE

Fine. You wanna know what the best *nix window managers are? Alright. Here's some advice. Never using tiling hipster shit. It'll only get in your way. Use a stable and well made floating window manager. I personally recommend PekWM or Fluxbox. If you aren't a complete retard and you can configure it, then the Motif Window Manager is god tier. MWM is what I personally use on all of my desktop Linux and BSD machines. I've never once had an issue with it. In the 90s and into the mid 2000s it was used on all sorts of Unix distros like Solaris and AIX and IRIX and even made its way onto RedHat Linux in the form of CDE (Common Desktop Environment) and TED (TriTeal Enhanced Desktop). MWM is the same window manager found in CDE, which is also available for Linux. Don't use CDE though since it's utter shit. CDE, MWM, and the Motif toolkit are all open source under the LGPL nowadays.

TLDR - For the best retro *nix experience you should use MWM. There's a package in the default Debian repos.

Attached: 1538607492258.jpg (605x558, 72K)

interesting, will take a look
how about some newer wm's?

can't be bothered to beyond
>anything tiling
shit, do not believe any tinkererfaggot who pretends it makes workflow better

Most are garbage. Another I forgot to mention is WindowMaker. I've ran it on a 300MHz MIPS machine with 30MB RAM. I don't care for the style at all so I don't use it, though it's quite impressive from a technological standpoint. It's incredibly feature rich for such a lightweight window manager.

We can disagree on the tiling WM argument, but since you seem to be an expert on floating shit, I'd like your opinion on the following WMs.
>IceWM
>CWM
>FVWM
>2bwm

>>IceWM
Horrible to use since it feels like a cheap version of Windows 95 out of the box. But it is lightweight and it does work as long as you fix up the fonts and select a nice theme.
>>CWM
I haven't used but from screenshots I can see it has no window decorations. This automatically makes it trash.
>>FVWM
Pretty good. I think that's the default on OpenBSD still. It's easy to set up and make new themes for it.
bwm
Again, no window decorations. Might as well be tiling but with twice the headaches.

openbox is the best WM
nerds.

>i3
I like how easy it is to change the config and reload on the fly, I still use it on my laptop
>dwm
Ehh, I'm sure it works for some people but I cannot be assed to recompile every time I change the config (which is often)

openbox is dead
I've been using it and compton for like 10 years now but the writing is on the wall.

I want to make an update for it that uses Wayland.

unless Wayland is bad.
I haven't found any compelling use for it but I figured it might just be up to me to make one.

>Windows 95 out of the box
exactly what I want

I like awesome

Attached: 1508744095343.png (88x85, 1K)

i3 is pure shit

also, IceWM is super configurable

dwm > i3 >>> shit >>> all

I DONT WANT TO BELIEVE

I used MWM for a good bit of time.
would have probably remained on it if it actually supported hints for programs entering fullscreen
all I want to do is fucking watch a video without having to try to move the window so the borders don't show up (basically anything other than xterm entering full-screen mode just ends up in a giant screen-resolution sized window with the window decorations still there)

it was otherwise pretty damn comfortable

I fucking love Window Maker. Light, featureful, and I like the way it looks.
Even on a machine where you do have RAM to spare, it's comfortable and fairly configurable.

The best one is the one that works for you.

of those I tried
fvwm>openbox>xfwm
then tiling wms are garbage by design but of those I tried I liked bspwm the most because I was too dumb to configure dwm and xmonad. i3 was pure shit

In terms of actual usability, as well as esthetics, blackbox and joe's window manager are the best. Honerable mention to window maker.

Yup.
lua > whatever shitty config your tiling wm has