Jow Forums, am I better off putting my important data on the HDD or SSD?

Jow Forums, am I better off putting my important data on the HDD or SSD?
Also, general storage thread

Attached: au-860-evo-sata-3-msata-ssd-mz-m6e1t0bw-frontblack-thumb-89093189.jpg (330x330, 14K)

If its important you can put it on either but you better damn sure back it up.

neither an HDD nor an SSD is reliable to let you not make proper backups.

SSD will probably never fail, I think even when it does the data will be readable but not writeable

wow that is small for 1tb

V-nand (aka 3D v-nand) is more reliable (but more expensive) than regular nand.

It is to my knowledge that the average desktop users ideal storage setup should be like this:

>Dedicated OS nvme drive of not less than 120gb
>One drive for important documents, between 250-500GB
>Optional slave mirror for redundancy for above
>if you play games, have a large drive more than a TB with all libraries on there for steam
>Flash drive with all necessary bits for complete system recovery

Wrong question. You need to have a proper backup and backup procedure, make sure it works and happens on a regular basis, that is all.

neither
optical + cloud is the way to go for important stuff.

correct.
after seeing this post, i just picked a DVD from 2004 that i burned with high school crap.
first time i've used it.

i worked, and check sum

>SSD will probably never fail

wrong

>even when it does the data will be readable but not writeable

Mostly wrong, you can theoretically read it UNTIL YOU POWER DOWN, the issue here is that the read-only state will crash your OS long before you copied even one of your chinese cartoons

>the issue here is that the read-only state will crash your OS long before you copied even one of your chinese cartoons

That's not an issue, you can just boot offa USB and access it from there. But from what i've read SSDs don't really go into read-only when they fail for some reason.

On topic - is spending a ton more cash on an 860PRO instead of an EVO over the extra write cycles autistic or not?

If it's v-nand, no. Some articles claim that v-nand has 10 times lifespan of nand.
It's your money anyway.

Tape backups kept in a dark dry place, like a safe.

>That's not an issue, you can just boot offa USB and access it from there.

Nope, once the OS goes down, so does the drive.

Also yes, get V-NAND.

burner and medium matter and mainly burn speed - the lowest the better

fpbp

no, the original is the most reliable, the thing with 3D nand is that you can fit more data in smaller area, thus increasing capasity

What, you're ok with letting the GMachine and other tech giants see what you got? Nigga use a stone and chisel for your important shit.

Both the EVO and PRO are v-nand, but they list the pro as having double the "terabytes written" as the evo. I'm guessing the cells are cherrypicked. So the gist of my question was whether the Pro's premium is worth it.

>SSD will probably never fail

Attached: Smile2.jpg (362x310, 48K)

Yeah the one SSD I had die on me went from 100% to stone dead instantly. Couldn't even get the BIOS to see that there was something attached to that SATA port.

Have you seen MTBF of nand vs v-nand?

Yes. Both of them spectacularly fail when you need it the most.

Yes it will fail. There is something called data retention.

This is basically what I do.

Well... V-nand on paper is more reliable.
Probably bad luck