/FHG/ - Friendly Haiku General

/FHG/ - Friendly Haiku General

haiku-os.org

What is Haiku?
Haiku is a fast, efficient, easy to use and lean open source operating system inspired by the BeOS that specifically targets personal computing. It is also the name of the project that develops and promotes Haiku the operating system.

Why isn’t it called HaikuOS?
The name of the project is simply “Haiku”. Unfortunately, despite numerous attempts, the registration of haiku.org has not been possible; hence the reason for haiku-os.org.

Is Haiku based on Linux?
Haiku is not a Linux distribution, nor does it use the Linux kernel.

Why not Linux?
Linux-based distributions stack up software – the Linux kernel, the X Window System, and various DEs with disparate toolkits such as GTK+ and Qt – that do not necessarily share the same guidelines and/or goals. This lack of consistency and overall vision manifests itself in increased complexity, insufficient integration, and inefficient solutions, making the use of your computer more complicated than it should actually be.

Instead, Haiku has a single focus on personal computing and is driven by a unified vision for the whole OS. That, we believe, enables Haiku to provide a leaner, cleaner and more efficient system capable of providing a better user experience that is simple and uniform throughout.

Is Haiku then based on BeOS?
Haiku reimplements both the BeOS technologies as well as the end user experience, but it is far from being based on BeOS from a code base perspective. The only BeOS code that has made it into Haiku are Tracker and the Deskbar (the file manager and the equivalent of the start menu/taskbar, respectively). These were open sourced by Be Inc. back in 2001, later forked under the OpenTracker project, and eventually merged into the Haiku code base. The rest is either homebuilt code or derivatives of existing open source software.

Attached: Haiku_OS (1).png (1152x720, 87K)

Other urls found in this thread:

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Haiku-OS-July-2018
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I want a copy of Mangnusoft Zeta.

Is it even available online or would you have to hunt flea markets for it?

does it give you the option to create a boot floppy?

Can Haiku run Firefox?
>no
Kthxbai

It has Qupzilla and Otterbrowser, which are pretty neat.

Some snippets from IRC:
>06:57 msiism: we have POSIX multiuser already
>06:57 we don't have it at the GUI level

>09:14 ok, time for me to learn more about our VFS layer by fixing NTFS
>09:14 and then next week, I should have time to get back to USB WiFi support
>09:14 and then, start attempting GPU acceleration

YES

Oh God my dick

>GPU acceleration
Are they going to port linux drivers like the bsds do

I gather the devs aren't much of a fan of using Linux drivers, but I'm not sure how else they'd do it.
We'll have to wait and see, I suppose.

I'm guessing it's a license thing, but the graphics drivers in linux are mostly MIT licensed like haiku.

They already use network drivers from freebsd
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Haiku-OS-July-2018

No the reasoning is more about code quality and specifically the in-kernel APIs.
The FreeBSD driver API is apparently cleaner than the Linux one(s).

what's the software realm like with haiku? compared to the gentoo repos and third party gentoo-supported applications, that is.

sparse but it at least has a lot of the popular qt5 programs

Is it still just 32 bit ?

No.

Attached: screenshot6.png (1280x1024, 766K)

I tested it on my laptop, installation went smooth and wifi works without any specific configuration. The only thing that is missing for me is gpu acceleration so I can watch videos at higher resolution than 360p without lag and i would be able to switch from linux to haiku :)

>Otterbrowser
It's so old it doesn't even have Object.assign. Stop fooling yourself. It's "good" because you can't get anything better to run under haiku.

>we have POSIX multiuser already
While it's neat, isn't that against how BeOS was designed? I think it was intended to be single user.

To the user, it is single-user; there's only /boot/home, you log in and you have root.
That said, I'd much prefer to run a webserver as another user with write access to nothing than as root.

I wonder if BFS has ANY support for user ids. WIthout that, multiuser makes no sense even from a security standpoint.

>I think it was intended to be single user.
They have to make some changes to bring it into the modern era

Either it has normal unix uids from the start, or they implemented it in extended attributes.
With BFS xattrs you could totally do proper ACLs too.

Attached: screenshot7.png (510x412, 10K)

Maybe you skip multiuser and go straight to containers/lightweight VMs?

I mean, it's an interesting idea but that probably wouldn't make life easier for the user.

can i put vim and something functionally equivalent to i3 on it

vim yes, i3 no
the window manager is neat in its own ways though

where's the zeta decorator?

Attached: photo_2018-09-21_21-00-15.jpg (640x480, 38K)

I wish.

Slick.
It's in XFCE, though.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-10-07_10-04-59.png (613x551, 45K)

I prefer Qupzilla and Qutebrowser on Haiku, though.

Yes, and the devs are planning to fork the 32 bit version for compatibility with BeOS and work on multiuser GUI functionality in the 64 bit version. Haiku is POSIX compliant and definitely a UNIX like system. It already has full fledged multiuser support, priviledge separation, etc. in the OS but does not implement GUIs incorporating those features. They are working in that now.

Is it botnet free?

Yes.

how's emacs on it
buggy? rock-solid?

there's no GUI version yet which kinda sucks

>editor
>gui

Ok give a QRD on the following

>does it have a systemd like bullshit?
>is it infected by CoC?
>is it viable for games/potential for games.
>how good is the gui?

>it has a sane init system
>no coc
>once the drivers are there for 3D accel it should game nicely, but presently OpenTTD is the best available
>10/10

> >editor
> >gui
Emacs is an OS, not an editor. The editor in emacs is called evil

Any thoughts on using Haiku as a server and (ab)using the database functionality of BFS?