Laptop General - /ltg/

Whether you're searching for purchasing advice, batteries, screens etc., want to discuss non-thinkpad (>>>/tpg/) laptops of any kind or want to recommend a laptop/brand or sperg about your bad experiences, this is the place for it.
resources:
amazon
aliexpress or gearbest for chinktops and stuff

Attached: Dell-XPS-13-b-Rosegold-QF-Copyright-Dell.jpg (800x480, 39K)

Other urls found in this thread:

outlet.us.dell.com/ArbOnlineSales/Online/AccessoriesAndWarranties.aspx?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh&familyId=28109&categoryId=SD&suid=f7c70858
youtube.com/watch?v=4soLNQWTulg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

bump

while not for everyone, I've been really impressed by my surface pro. For note taking and shit the pen is fucking great

Attached: microsoft-surface-pro-2017.jpg (740x417, 22K)

Give me a laptop suggestion with these specs minimum:
>at least full HD screen
>SSD (size doesn’t matter)
>Most recent i7 processor
>16 gigs of RAM
>around $1100

Whats a laptop with more than 2 fucking cores. I have to run vms, and rdp into shit constantly so an ethernet jack and some cores are nice. An igpu or dgpu doesnt matter.

Hows the surface book 2

Look for a new asus zenbook

Lenovo thinkpad P series

Best 200 usd lappy out there just for general use?

T61 thinkpad

refurb hp elitebook or thinkpad if used/refurbished is ok.
Acer Chromebook series or lenovo ideapad 120

My ACER Aspire 8735 laptop isn't working. It powers on for 10 seconds before abruptly shutting off. Not enough for the screen to start up. It's not the RAM, hard drive, CPU, EPROM or battery. GPU and motherboard I'm unsure about. Advice and tips on how to troubleshoot?

I want a 15 inch IPS Ryzen 7 + RX580 laptop

Does it exist somewhere?

Yes

autism

Hey my dudes,
I managed to get a pretty good deal on a used XPS 9350 off eBay.

The machine's in good condition but the battery calibration is completely wonky.

Am I right in thinking I just need to go through a few complete cycles to get this to fix itself (reporting is already better after a single full cycle)? Just to illustrate how wonky it actually is, I'll get to 1% with an estimate of 5 minutes and the laptop will continue to run for about one more hour.

There's no signs of battery swelling and the bios reports it as being in excellent health.

Thank you! I'll look into it.

My brother and my girlfriend have both owned a Surface Pro 3, they both failed and were both declared "impossible to fix". My brother was SOL since his Pro 3 died outside the warranty period (he ended up buying an old X230t), but my girlfriend managed to fenegle Microsoft into giving her a Pro 4 as a replacement. Now that piece of garbage is also dying. It's started getting random lockups and screen flicker, both of which are not exactly uncommon problems. This might be halfway excusable if these things cost $449 from Walmart, but these are priced as premium portable computers. My girlfriend's i5 model originally cost $1000 and my brother's i7 was over $1500. For that kind of price I would expect some kind of staying power. Girlfriend is now saying she wants a Mac, frankly I can't blame her.

Microsoft keeps saying that they've fixed the problems, but new problems just keep showing up with each new generation. I think the entire concept and execution is fundamentally flawed.

macbook pro :-)

>$1100

Attached: cat.png (800x1200, 65K)

Im looking for something cheap that will run basic office and light web browsing without too much stuttering. My experience with laptops is that theyre all stuttering piece of shit even if you just open a notepad.

if you're in burger land and stretch to 1288, there's a xps 9370 with the 4k screen on dell outlet rn.

also, do you want a a u series processor or h?

Looking for a budget laptop with a 2500U or similar for college shit(pack office) and some light gaming.
Any advice?

What the fuck am I supposed to do with this?

Attached: image.jpg (4032x3024, 1.57M)

What the fuck am I supposed to do with this? (Express card slot)

Attached: image.jpg (4032x3024, 1.56M)

Used Dell Latitude or Thinkpad.

stick your benis on it

i miss those. my first wifi card was an expresscard

Pretty useless nowadays. I always thought about just getting a card with more usb ports. There are also remotes/laserpointers for presentations that you can store there.

HP Elitebook running AMD.

Experiences? Good/Bad

interested in this

Any workstation laptop with HQ cpu
Any laptop with 8th gen i5/i7

There's been many amd elitebooks over the years. Amd's mobile cpus sucked ass though until recently so I'd love see a ryzen elitebook

Attached: 8770w-angle.jpg (1620x1080, 494K)

>non /tpg/ laptop thread but most answers are /tpg/ laptops
What is the purpose of this thread again?

Attached: 1481746843394.png (400x389, 48K)

Why do laptop hard drives seem to never fail, but computer hard drives can fail within months?

If you're in the US, there are G5's in Dell's outlet going for cheap.

>Intel Core 8th Generation i7-8750H Processor (6 Core,2.20GHz,9MB Cache,45W)
>Windows 10 Home 64bit English
>128GB M.2 SATA Class 20 Solid State Drive
>1TB SATA3 512e 2.5inch 5.4K RPM Hard Drive
>16GB DDR4 Memory Non-ECC 2667MHz (2x8GB)
>15.6inch FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS Anti-Glare LED-Backlit Display
>NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060 6GB
>Matte Black - LCD Back Cover (Non Touch Screen)
>Dell Outlet G5 15 - 5587

outlet.us.dell.com/ArbOnlineSales/Online/AccessoriesAndWarranties.aspx?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh&familyId=28109&categoryId=SD&suid=f7c70858

Hi what’s the best laptop for using gimp and Inkscape and supporting a Wacom graphics tablet.

For older laptops, Thinkpads are king but really with newer laptops, Thinkpads aren't always the answer. Especially starting with Dell going private again, Thinkpads have more competition and the pricing usually is not as good as the other laptops from other companies like HP Dell or even ASUS are starting to encroach on their territory.

In my opinion, only the top end P series Thinkpads are still best of class because price isn't a problem and they are built extremely well. However, in the midrange, I think the Dell XPS line is better and Zbooks/Zenbooks also have just dimished the Thinkpad A/E series popularity.

You know that /tpg/ is not only about thinkpad but other business class laptops right?
That's is why threads like this are pointless.

That XPS mushy keyboard though.

Did you know they start off by saying "other brands not welcome" at some stage

Plus they don't answer about 60% of the questions because they don't know fuck all

So tpg is actually pointless

Hello fwords, my friend is going to the US in the near future and he wants to buy a laptop, he's thinking about spending $2300 on a "Razer Blade Pro"

So my question is, are Razer laptops considered Hot Garbage™, and if so can you help me with some recommendations for my friend around that price?

>Did you know they start off by saying "other brands not welcome" at some stage
That was when a faggot made the OP. You can ignore him.
There were people constantly shilled Dell Precision in /tpg/ and had no problem with it.

I want to buy one of these but I fucking hate the skin they have on the top panel

MSI GS65 is cheaper and pretty much the same

actually fuck now he said he's gonna buy the $5000 dollars one

NEEDS:
>6+ Hours of Battery Life OOTB
>Good GNU/Linux compatibility
WANTS (in order of priority):
>RJ-45
>Not reprehensible keyboard
>(Relatively) Lightweight
>USB C ports
>USB C charging
>Not Intel (whether that's Ryzen something or non-x86 altogether doesn't matter)
I've had nothing but bad experiences with Thinkpads. Although most of my poor experiences are with the **20 and **30 series laptops, I'd like a smidge more power than the *60 and **00 series provde, and quite frankly, even if I did take a chance on an even older Thinkpad, I'd still take pause because of the sheer volume of shit I've gone through with them already. I've also had shitty experiences with Chromebooks too, although all the ones I've owned thusfar have been the really shitty cheap ones, I'd still hesitate to get a slightly more upscale one, if you can even pin one down to buy. I've looked at everything from fruit computers to surface shits to pixel shits to acer shits to asus thinbook shits, and everything sucks. I'm reminded of why I switched to a desktop, but I stopped being a NEET and started needing a laptop again, so I'm in quite the pickle.

Any suggestions? Am I fucked?

Attached: 1534625773715.png (687x758, 807K)

Actually forgot this existed can it play QC with at least 60 fps?

1060 Max Q can play modern games at 1080p high settings for a ton of games like the desktop version which should be good enough for whatever QC is.

Fuck tpg anyway. Howmany times can u ask the same fucking questions lmao not that they even get answered. Better off asking in reddit thinkpad where you actually get help

I recommend the HP Elitebook Line. Specifically the 2570p, im using it right now running Solus GNU/Linux. I get 8 hours of battery with the 9 cell and about 4.5 5 hrs on the 6 cell. It works great and has a really nice selection of ports.

is yoga a good choice or should i get a tablet? i want to practice my drawing shit.

>For older laptops, Thinkpads are king but really with newer laptops, Thinkpads aren't always the answer

This. The reason why Jow Forums used to love Thinkpads so much was because the gulf between them and other laptops used to be so fucking massive, especially in the mid 2000s. Dell's Latitude line and the HP/Compaq business laptops from that era were not nearly as good. But over time, Lenovo watered down the Thinkpad brand, just as Dell really began to up their game in the Core2Duo era.

I'd agree with you on the P series, and I would also argue that the T/X/W series all held a significant advantage over other laptops up to the xx30 generation. After that, I don't see as much as a value proposition. My next laptop will likely not be a Thinkpad.

That was probably a one-time faggot. Other laptop brands are pretty extensively discussed in /tpg/. The problem is that they are mostly experts with Thinkpads, so if you have a problem with your Latitude or Probook/Elitebook, they're likely not going to be able to answer you.

Why not get some cheap Ultrabook to carry around and spend the rest on a Desktop? Genuinely curious. I had a friend who held a job that involved a lot (>60%) of business travel, and so he opted to buy an MSI gaming laptop. But if you're mostly going to be at a desk, then it really does not make sense to pay that kind of money. Trust me, I bought a W500 for $2500 in 2009, and while I love the computer I acknowledge it was a mistake to spend that kind of money. Also the Razer is shit, don't bother with it.

Aight niggas best lappy for 300 burgerbucks just for web browsing and general shit?

I am thinking of getting the MSI P65. Anyone have a GS65 that can give a run down of issues they have had? (The P65 is essentially the none gamer version of the GS65 it seems)

I have fucking terrible experience with Dell and HP. What is the build quality on these?

get a express card that usb ports dummy

he's not mostly going to be on a desk, he carries it to friend's houses or tournaments

also if you think the razer blade pro 4k is shit, can you recommend another one with similar specs? he doesn't care about money, he's about to spend $5k on that one, but I couldn't find a better/cheaper alternative with dual gtx 1080 and 2tb SSD etc

I don't have one personally, but there are reviews on Youtube if you want judge yourself like the one below, which I think is pretty comprehensive.

youtube.com/watch?v=4soLNQWTulg

The military is sending me back to Japan. Can Jow Forums reccommend a gayming laptop sub $2k?

It always depends on what games you play and what you are willing to put up. For sub 2k, I think you can get a mobile GTX 1070 which is about the same as the desktop version, and 144 Hz 1080p displays from HP, Asus, MSI or Clevo. They all have fairly similar build quality so it really comes down to looks then.

Forgot to add, that should also net you a new i7 8750H with 6 cores 12 threads and something like a 512 GB SSD and 1 TB HDD.

I do stress that if you can get away with less, you should downgrade your specs appropriately.

Name that Pokemon:
>smooth and sexy
>durable
>great performance, ~3GHz processing
>Linux friendly
>nice white backlit keyboard
>a clean functional trackpad with gestures that just /make sense/
>no built-in microphones, camera maybe but only if it can be covered completely.
>excellent internet speeds
>modifiable so i can put in new ram or cpu if i want to

Unicorn.. as in it doesn't exist

Is a Thinkpad T-420 with i7-2640M, 128gb ssd, and 8gb DDR3 ram, for 126 USD a fair deal? (Laptop show signs of normal-use).

>ssd
eww

Buy into Business lines if build quality is a concern. Latitude, Elitebooks and Thinkpads are often built for years of use in mind and are overall pretty sturdy.

>modifiable so i can put in new ram or cpu if i want to

basically doesn't exist with newer laptops, most Ram and all CPU modules will be soldered onto the motherboard.

Also nothing new is linux friendly

Why does my cheap dell work faster with Brave than edge?

freedumb respekting wifi card

I have a $500 best buy gift card I want to put toward buying a nice laptop, but I just can't find anything good on their site. Thoughts?

Unfortunately, I can't buy another gift card using a gift card so I'm pretty much stuck with their awful selection of laptops.

Thoughts on Chromebooks running GalliumOS?
They usually have nice screens for the price.
It would be for light text work, browsing and streaming stuff.

Because Brave fucking rules.

What's the lightest and cheapest laptop with an IPS screen and enough specs to run Lightroom without constantly freezing?

Something like pic related would be amazing but I don't want to spend $1400 on a laptop

Attached: 71EYC3NfqwL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1000, 74K)