How are we going to deal with the technological bell curve?

How are we going to deal with the technological bell curve?

Attached: technological_literacy.png (1327x864, 224K)

Other urls found in this thread:

my.mixtape.moe/hfsecg.pdf
faculty.winthrop.edu/kosterj/engl203/overviews/shakespeareantheatre.asp
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peanut_gallery
youtube.com/watch?v=8NIRVjddZmk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>ms office in 1972

BIG COLOURED SQUARES THAT RUN THE APPS

Good. More jobs for me.

Replace MS Office with any basic word processor, the point still stands

Oh no! How will they ever survive not knowing how to operate a fax machine!!

>tfw technological literacy has already peaked

Thats ridiculous fucking boomer, they are just learning the new tech you didnt had

>Hurr durr in my times we learned computing in vaccum tubes! You kids know nothing with this transistor stuff

>installing an OS without a tutorial is peak computer literacy

That bothered me as well. I struggle with more complex problems, so I'd like to see the scale extended.

Shouldn't peak literacy be building your own compiler?

The average 15-25yo was always illiterate.
At least now there is knowledge that alternative operating systems exist (thank Apple and Android for this) beyond academia (the average 20yo in 90s) and there are programming languages other than BASIC (thank JS and Python for this).
Also, strong network fundamentals? The average kiddo didn't/doesn't knew/know what HTTP is.
And
>rise of tablets
Fuck off boomer. I have own a tablet for more than a decade (had bought glorious Nokia 770).

It's pretty fucking hard to use something that doesn't exist.

Make money off them as one of the few that know how to use it I guess.

it's the peak for average norms, yes

If I ever have kids, I'll try to teach them how computers work.

8/10 bait, people honestly believe installing software is peak proficiency

Do you know how computers work?

flat guis were already a sign of decline

>100 WPM

fuck, still can't beat 80

>If I ever have kids
lol we can still dream

*literacy of the average user

I'm studying CS in university so I know basics, at least.

Yeah. Dunno if I'd want any even if I wasn't super autist.

>tech literacy and typing speed is in any way related
I wish I had a brainlet wojak image

It's extremely obvious that the person who created this is actually extremely technologically illiterate themselves.

Attached: 1369537141643.jpg (414x465, 49K)

how do you read this chart???

There are problems with the image but I think the basic premise is correct.
Alot of changes in the software world have revolved around lowering barriers to entry such that any retard can buttons and feel safe. (See blue screen errors being replaced with 'something went wrong :(' and guis consisting of huge flat-designed buttons)
Things were fun in the early-adopter, power user phase but we are firmly entering the normie phase and design will reflect that accordingly.

Attached: 1522453606906.jpg (800x629, 176K)

Attached: 1509%.jpg (980x600, 257K)

Everything will be designed so retards cant shoot themselves in the foot and people dont feel intimidated (accomplished by removing good features and hiding useful information)

Good developers will mostly chase normie bux and it seems that the open-source community is being killed by thick CoCs.

The generic webpage tablet cancer design is killing me and I know it will keep getting worse.

so if I can type 100 WPM with no errors, can I get a job?

I'm not bothered because normies are a different market.

Look at pop music, it's popular, fucking terrible and gets worse each year yet there are tonnes of other genres of music that are flourishing, even new ones appearing.

>fundementals

most teens already are at stage 4 though. they are less technically literate than boomers or even millennials. the future looks bright for malware authors.

(OP)
The computer literacy of the average person, even of the average Westerner, has always been low. Some people have these strange ideas of the 90s and early 00s, for example, as a time when the kids were really tech-savvy. They weren't. I graduated high school in 2000. From what I recall, most students could use MS Word and play games and that's about it.

Artificial wombs will soon replace use-case of women

>How are we going to deal with the technological bell curve?
By getting raises.

If you want to have a child without marriage/a relationship, you can pay a surrogate mother today, you know. Prepare for hell, though.

Tbh, I dont, I just want to make kids computer-aware in order to make them lead the war for privacy and freedoms when Im no longer on earth

What a retarded chart

You're forgetting the people that learned computers when there was no GUI. The people who were kids and got Apple II and IBM PC's for christmas.

>war for privacy and freedoms
my.mixtape.moe/hfsecg.pdf

>the war for privacy and freedoms

Attached: 0cbpdjii3pa11.png (645x729, 105K)

I might be a beta but I'm not a cuck.

Do you know what surrogacy is?

memorising a bunch of commands to install gentoo is NOT technical literacy user

yeah, you pay someone to have your child. i'd only use this option if i had a gf who couldn't have kids.

Correct. How does it make you a cuck? It's your sperm.

Dark Age of technology when?

if i wanted a kid i'd get a gf. if i can't get a gf my offspring won't be able to get a gf either. we shouldn't let betas reproduce - that includes me.

Attached: 448.png (500x706, 450K)

I must be one of the stupid ones because I can't for the life of me understand that graph.

single men shouldn't be allowed to adopt
you'd just raise another incel

In other words, what you are saying is that surrogacy is cucked, because if you can't get a gf you would rather let superior men reproduce in your stead.

Attached: hmmmm.png (734x1110, 222K)

Not really.

I can only type fast in scenarios where there is something pertinent to say and it's a real time conversation. Typically it's a sick diss or burn in an MMO where I must retort immediately and succinctly.
I just don't bother typing fast when I'm going for large work volume or when I'm parleying with Anonymous in the boards.
most of my knowledge of the digital workhorse is highly personal and subject to rapid appendices with the intake of good new perspectives.
I'm enjoying a gradual decline in the austerity by which I conduct myself online. this relaxation has served to benefit my ability to learn about buried ideas and pioneers of innovation.
whereas a child, I took everything as a maze that I could reach the end of with the perspective of the 3rd eye, now I enter the labyrinth with my feet on the ground.

>ah we have reached the point in my post where I must address the OP and follow in the direction of the thread they have started
we must improve the playground of the desktop environment so to make it personable.
as I have much experience exploring threads it is time for a blanket to emerge.
It is just as possible to explore the potentiality of software in a curated environment, an operating system...as it is to be a junkie or connoisseur of Desktop Threads.

lemme smash
you want som fuk?

yes really

It says "average" for a reason.

holy fuck OP this isn't even how bell curves work
why did I post itt?!?!

bell curves show a projected statistical distribution

I expect an upwards trend given the variables you're messing with.
we're becoming increasingly technically literate where we're allowed to.

source: literacy always increases over time. while intelligence remains generally constant.
consider that IQ is set so that 100 is average, and yet imbeciles still claim that global IQ is somehow declining.
global IQ can be thought to be 100 in all cases that you're viewing on such a sample-set.

for example Shakespeare wasn't intended to be understood by commoners on the same level that a well educated and cultured person would in the time it was performed.

today we have middle-schoolers acting in Romeo and Juliet at summer camps and regular screenings of the major motion picture to children in classrooms. there was a guy who stood up and rewound the scene with Juliet's nipples in the middle of class.

Attached: nudity.jpg (1024x768, 283K)

oh shit she's 15
whatever this was screened to us when we were 12 dude

This, we don't. The less the general population knows about computers, the more we get paid.

>for example Shakespeare wasn't intended to be understood by commoners
it was though

AI will be doing all the programming work in the future, no need for zoomers to know more about technology.

it was understood? I'm sure but people of a certain background probably got more out of certain scenes. I think the term "peanut gallery" was derived from rowdy normies of ye olden days.
>When writing his plays, Shakespeare had to take into account two audiences: those in the gallery seats, and those in the pit. Those in the galleries would be somewhat educated, and interested in the ideas he was exploring. They would be able to appreciate subtle humor and character development. But those in the pit would need action, sex, and slapstick. So when you read Shakespeare's plays, you notice that, after each soliloquy or quiet scene, where the focus is on conversation, there will be a scene in which there is violence or comedy. Today, if you go to a Saturday matinee, the kids in the audience get restless if there's no action; they talk, and get up and walk around, and sometimes even throw things. They hoot if the hero kisses the heroine. This is a mild version of what the people in the pit were like. They might have been able to appreciate the subtleties of Hamlet's soliloquy; but they wanted a sword fight or a good, bloody murder. And if too much time went by without one, they'd amuse themselves by booing or jeering the people on stage, or throwing rotten fruit or eggs at the actors. Thus, keeping the pit happy was one of Shakespeare's (or any playwright's) major concerns. One of the things he liked most about the Blackfriars Theatre was that it catered to a wealthier and more educated audience, and had no pit.
faculty.winthrop.edu/kosterj/engl203/overviews/shakespeareantheatre.asp

lul I contradicted myself whatever

I think my confusion is excusable because the gallery later became where the cheap seats were. It switched or something.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peanut_gallery

youtube.com/watch?v=8NIRVjddZmk

I'm in a business class as part of my computer infosys degree

The girl sitting next to me struggles to use word, let alone navigate the filesystem in windows - it's almost beyond her (she's also a pajeet)

She's solidly in the bottom portion of your graph, and judging by the difficulty the rest of my class (of pajeets...) has with this, so are about 1/4th of 15-25 year olds. I'm telling you, the future is going to be a wealthy upper class of whites ruling over an untermenschen underclass of browns who can barely even read

When I was 5, I was able to navigate through whatever version of msdos has a UI file browser and click on the correct symbols to play my videogames

I couldn't even read yet

Ya drunk?

A bad keyboard can really fuck up your typing speed

I can manage 100+ on my mechanical keyboard at home, but the keyboards at my school are mushy as shit with an almost flat keyboard so I can barely tell I'm typing on a key to begin with.

I think if we ever encounter an intelligent alien species, they will stare at our modern UI in wonder and amazement

"They are so good at designing UI!"
"It's so easy to use, wow!"

And this will be due to the fact that the majority of humanity is so fucking stupid that we have to expend considerable time and effort making UI accessible enough that 85 IQ morons can still do things.

about to be

I just want to go back to simple websites. I don't care about "the experience tm" when all I care about is informations.

I've never fallen for the tablet meme so I'm safe.

you mean data

information is what you get from points of data

>being able to use a UI
>literacy
If you can't program you're illiterate.

Attached: 1d3.png (680x383, 255K)

Take this absolute garbage back to /co/.

Yikes.

I can absolutely guarantee you that the average 15-25 year old was not that competent in 2008.

Absolute fucking horseshit that the average 15-25 year old had "deep understanding of hardware" or "strong understanding of network fundamentals" in 2008.

At no time did the average 20 year old have a deep understanding of hardware, software or networking fundamentals.

Attached: Get that shit out of my face.gif (200x270, 1.09M)

zoomer here, born 2000, I'd say I'm on the top of that scale IF you count "being able to install an OS alone" by OSesses like Windows XP/7 or simpler Linux variants. If you want me to install gentoo without help then you better expect a broken mess of a computer coming right up

Attached: 7f0f9d33ad4b40ebaebc63d218a2947f.png (770x645, 34K)

This. Imagine a future where you are treated like a literal wizard. Can't wait.

i had a tablet back in 2002 or 2003. OP is just a retard zoomer. tablets have been extremely popular for well over a decade and aren't new by any means.

>people born in 2000 can post on Jow Forums now without ban

fuck me im old

1. Ban smart phones
2. Licence to use computers

Future?
I literally walk into a room and click something and the town-people are astonished now.

they did in the basic era

>tell waifu no use chrome
>waifu use chrome anyway
>goodbye waifu

Attached: honorkilled.jpg (889x456, 47K)

your words hurt my soul

they work with math ya stupid bitch

Writing a compiler is inventing a language. Programming is speaking a language. Pressing buttons is being a gorilla.

this is extremely wrong

I hope the decline keeps happening. Then my IT skills will actually fucking pay something.

You weren't old enough to remember the early, 2000s were you?

your salaries are never going to go up as long as you can learn everything needed for your job in 1-2 years. the only way it will go up is if it takes 6+ years to learn everything and as a result the masses won't learn it unless they are dedicated.