Are you ready to compute with POWER?

Are you ready to compute with POWER?
>Blackbird was announced as a POWER9 platform catering towards desktops and appliances along with other low-power computing use-cases. Some additional details the company has now shared include:
>Blackbird will support two DDR4-2666 ECC Registered DIMMs in dual-channel mode. They are only supporting two DDR4 DIMMs to keep costs lower.
>There will be four SATA 3.0 ports onboard powered by a Marvell controller.
>There will be an onboard HDMI display output via AST2500 for at least having display/2D.
>5.1 channel sound via S/PDIF.
>The system at full load power consumption is to be under 100 Watts paired with a quad-core IBM POWER9 processor.
>It will be completely open-source / blob free down to the firmware just like their Talos Workstation line-up.
>Again, this is catering towards the lower-end of the POWER9 space with four or eight core processors.
>In the next couple of weeks they are expected to reveal pricing details. The Talos II Lite is currently Raptor's low-end offering at $1099 USD. Blackbird should be priced much lower than the Talos II Lite but just how low remains to be seen. It will almost certainly not be able to compete at the levels of the plethora of Intel/AMD motherboards due to economies of scale, but if they can at least make it much closer that would certainly be interesting.

Attached: raptor.jpg (749x552, 44K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.debian.org/PPC64)
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Raptor-Blackbird-Announced
wiki.raptorcs.com/wiki/BCM5719
youtu.be/wPrUmViN_5c
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>There will be four SATA 3.0 ports onboard powered by a Marvell controller.
RAID support too?

Don't know yet which specific controller they use, full specs should come in the next few weeks

So apparently they have a $2100 prebuilt now. I'm seriously considering this since it's within my price range. So how's the software support? And this is probably going to be a pretty brainlet question but how does the software support on Debian work. I'm currently running Debian on only x86-64 systems. Under the Debian PPC64 page (wiki.debian.org/PPC64) they list the normal apt repos. So how does that work? Is the Linux software a one size fits all thing for every system regardless of the CPU architecture so long as the kernel and other critical programs are compiled for POWER9? I thought that all Linux binaries were tied to the ISA they were compiled on.

Does this mean I can run pretty much any Debian software or what?

Attached: vO7lRZ7.jpg.png (621x702, 56K)

open one of the listed repos and figure it out
fucking moron

>I thought that all Linux binaries were tied to the ISA they were compiled on.
Not quite, look up cross-compilation.
>Does this mean I can run pretty much any Debian software or what?
Most of GPL and BSD software should run, the iffy parts are graphics and sound at this point.
If you have one of the GPUs that are well supported it should alright.
Web browsers are also WIP at this point it seems, although Chromium and Firefox should both run at this point.

I already do all my computing on PowerPC and SPARC, and this thing can't come soon enough so I can finally replace my aging PowerMac G4. If it comes in at under $500, consider me a buyer.

Overpriced shit.

Wake me up when we have a POWER 9 laptop.

No need for POWER9 when the PowerBook G4 exists.

thank you, RAID would be a plus. I could use a server ISO however and have it in software-mode

>I could use a server ISO
So for some reason md doesn't work on non-server editions of GNU/Linux now? Holy fuck that's one high Mt. Stupid you have right there.

Pure hardware raid (battery backed addon card) or software raid (like md) works everywhere. You also have filesystems like zfs and btrfs. Don't need a server iso for any of those.

I CAN'T FUCKING WAIT!

Attached: blackbird.jpg (1600x1427, 583K)

>cheaper than the talos II lite
sign me the fuck up

Decent AMD GPU, NVMe drive and two big/fast sticks of DDR4 and I'll never go back.

I came

Link?

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Raptor-Blackbird-Announced

redpill me on power

without it there's no white power

Open RISC ISA from the early 90's from IBM.

>can't view page without adblock disabled
Thanks "open" software/hardware.

it works in my machine

I've always wondered whether an NVIDIA GPU would work on these things with the proprietary ppc64le drivers from NVIDIA. The packages do seem to contain GLX + Xorg related stuff. I seem to remember however seeing in some docs somewhere they only support the V100 with POWER9 and the P100 with POWER8. Would other GeForce / Quadro cards work on a Raptor workstation? Would the regular PCIe (non-SXM2) V100 / P100 cards work in one of these? I've never seen anything mentioned about NVIDIA cards in relation to the Talos II besides nouveau stuff.

you can get around this by using an adblocking list that blocks anti-ablockers or by also using umatrix

>Are you ready to compute with POWER?
I've been waiting for them to comeback, so if they are competitive then yes. If they are overpriced then, no.

Why though? There is no reason to use Nvidia over AMD at this point. You're not going to game on it and for raw calculations AMD is faster.

by necessity they're going to be expensive
it's not something that every faggot in the universe is going to buy, but it's a start
there will never be official nvidia support

>use as much of open hardware/software
>pick additional hardware from the one with the least open ideology
What?

>by necessity they're going to be expensive
Then no. I'm not going to buy second/third best just because of feelings. I'll hop on board when they are ready to compete.

You are not the demographic then. It's for people who are willing to pay extra, there is no competition in open hardware market right now.

>You are not the demographic then. It's for people who are willing to pay extra, there is no competition in open hardware market right now.
That's where you are wrong kiddo.
I am the demographic, and there ironically is some form of competition in open hardware.
>libreboot
And like most people I would rather go cheapshit with librebooted hardware than I would go pay a premium for hardware that isn't competitive.

Nope. You're just a GNU/Linux freetard shitter, you're not the target demographic if you want this to cost as much as a 10 year old Thinkpad.
You don't actually want open hardware, just an illusion of control and feel special, that's because you're okay with using x86 CPUs made in the past 14 years that contain vulnerabilities and backdoors.

This is actual open hardware, not some libreboot meme, no there is no real competition, not for the past 9 years.

I already have a bunch of NVIDIA cards and I'd be interested in testing CUDA programs on POWER9 without buying an IBM AC922.

Who's to say using a POWER9 workstation is just for the "openness" of it? POWER9 chips aren't the most open of hardware you can get anyway since the cores themselves have no open source implementations like RISC-V / OR1K / OpenSPARC T1. Also the Gb NIC on the Talos II has proprietary firmware.

>you're not the target demographic
Then who is the target market, or demographic? The retard who wants to buy a paperwieght?
>This is actual open hardware
So what? Open power has been around since 2008.

>Who's to say using a POWER9 workstation is just for the "openness" of it? POWER9 chips aren't the most open of hardware you can get anyway since the cores themselves have no open source implementations like RISC-V / OR1K / OpenSPARC T1. Also the Gb NIC on the Talos II has proprietary firmware.
The core design of the CPU does not have to be open source for anyone to fuck up. The firmware on the other hand is open.
You're a dum-dum if you think the Boardcom on this board does not use the open source firmware.

>Then who is the target market, or demographic? The retard who wants to buy a paperweight**?
You just wanted to buy it if it was cheap. What are you even on about now?

>So what? Open power has been around since 2008.
As actual consumer accessible hardware with support? No. Unless you count some custom Amiga boards that costed a fortune on several year old IBM Workstations or Servers that you could buy once discounted.

If it doesn't support CAPI on desktops there's no point. That's where 99% of the performance gains of POWER are: by absolutely destroying I/O bottlenecks.

>not some libreboot meme
a librebooted X200 that is fully loaded is a comfy laptop

>You're a dum-dum if you think the Boardcom on this board does not use the open source firmware.
The Talos II has a built in BCM5719 that runs proprietary firmware.
wiki.raptorcs.com/wiki/BCM5719
Though I'd still say Raptor's POWER9 stuff is great and probably some of the best hardware you can get as far as software freedom goes, I think a lot of people get confused by "OpenPOWER" which suggests the designs of the CPUs is open like OpenSPARC, but they're not. POWER9 CPUs are not open source.

>You just wanted to buy it if it was cheap.
>competitive.
There's no point in owning one right now.
>No. Unless you count some custom Amiga boards that costed a fortune on several year old IBM Workstations or Servers that you could buy once discounted.
>a fortune
the x1000/x5000 doesn't cost that much, and they were purely for nostalgia fags.
You know what nigger I'm the reason why Jow Forumsoys are even aware of libreboot, openPOWER, and raptor engineering's talos, so trust me I shilled the fuck out of them, because I was really tickled by their existence. Realistically though the current price for these bricks does not justify their lack of performance, and their lack of useability at all.

Probably not. It's targeted at Linux, and Linux software RAID is superior to hardware RAID for most things.

I think I'll choose a processor without Meltdown, thank you.

If you're not going to run Windows on it (which you aren't), why would you even want hardware RAID?

>I'm going to run a Pentium III
I want to see you try

Or I could just use AMD.

Power9 was patched for meltdown before release.
(or at least that is what raptor said on twitter at the time)

this
it sickens me some wannabe gnu/linux ricing trannies think this board was made for them

>ur not the demographic
>when there is no demographic.

Sounds a bit too good to be true. Meltdown doesn't sound like something that you just patch away.

>I think a lot of people get confused by "OpenPOWER" which suggests the designs of the CPUs is open like OpenSPARC
Who?
As I just said:
>The core design of the CPU does not have to be open source for anyone to fuck up. The firmware on the other hand is open.

>the x1000/x5000 doesn't cost that much
>it was almost two grand
>yet he bitches about this board when it's going to be 1/4th of that price

>and they were purely for nostalgia fags.
They were purely to rip off retards while building expensive PPC boards for cheap for a select few.

Before the cpus were released. So before raptor got them to start selling the PCs.

The demographic is power users.

>They were purely to rip off retards while building expensive PPC boards for cheap for a select few
Where's the complaints? Iirc no one spent anywhere near for a fully functional system with os/software than what it would cost to buy a talos mobo with AN single CPU.
Plus it's an apples to paperweights type of comparison since the x1000/x5000 had a target market while talos really doesn't unless talos' target market are the people who want expensive paperweights when superior systems are available for cheaper.

>The demographic is power users.
No it isn't sweety.

Of course, but to the extent that it's a hardware bug, a chip isn't something that you just quickly respin after it's been taped out.

>Who?
>As I just said:
>
Wasn't talking about your post specifically, but said "as much of open hardware/software". POWER9 is not "open" hardware.

Shut up, x86 year old.

>Shut up, x86 year old.
Fuck off you tranny.

They are quite competitive performance-wise. They are more expensive, but not beyond reason.

Fuck off.

>POWER9 is not "open" hardware.
Not like you'd have much use for an open source implementation anyway, since it wouldn't be possible to manufacture outside of GF's IBM-specific process line. POWER is far more open than x86, thougn, and I'm pretty sure it's more open than ARM too.

>They are quite competitive performance-wise
At what, databases? I understand that they are competitive at certain use cases, but they aren't quite ready for consumer level general computing.
So now tell me what their intended use case is, or what their "demographic" is, and then I'll remind you that other better systems exists even in those intended use cases, and target market.

>Are you ready to compute with POWER?
tl;dr

Attached: macfag.png (217x233, 5K)

>emotional
Take a drug holiday aids-tranny, and you'll feel better.

>image
never gets old

>consumer level general computing
To the extent that "consumer level" means running x86 software, then of course they're out the window. As long as that's not the case, though, I think they're pretty competitive across the board. There is a lot of software optimizations that are lacking for Power as compared to x86, but that's not the hardware's fault.
>So now tell me what their intended use case is, or what their "demographic" is
I could probably do most of what I currently do just as well on Power, and for software development, it would be kinda nice to have a non-x86 system in order to ensure that my programs are portable in practice. Also, the firmware being open is a feature unto itself, since it can be customized, interacted with over RS232, &c&c.

Go back to your x86 garbage, yankee.

Attached: macfag-2.jpg (1000x3000, 458K)

>Go back to your x86 garbage, yankee.
You're not even trying anymore, and your emotions have taken control.
>god hates user

This shouldn't make me laugh as hard as it does every time I see it.

Go back to /b/ if you can't quote properly.

>Go back to /b/ if you can't quote properly.
Go back to if your feelings get hurt , tranny.

Keep crying, /b/tard.

You're the only one trannyposting faggot, please keep your mental illness contained to reddit asshole (wide).

Nice projection, /b/tard.

>projection
the post.
Nice try trannie. We're on to you.

Epic win, meme boy.

>They are only supporting two DDR4 DIMMs
DIMMlet

epic

Honestly, this is the most autistic shit ever. It's literally name-calling and calling each other faggots. I love it.

What the fuck am I doing on this website.

I know, the workstation only supports up to 2tb.

can it run tux racer?

>Honestly, this is the most autistic shit ever. It's literally name-calling and calling each other faggots. I love it.
It's an user calling another user a tranny, and the trany user is angery.

best shit I've seen all month.

is the other user even actually a tranny though?

that's apple
it'd be even funnier if you are an iSheep

It seems like it from the reaction posts.

youtu.be/wPrUmViN_5c

It's probably a "leah".

is it because the poster isnt specifically denying it?

Mostly the rage that came afterwards. Like user hit the nail on the head.

Not that there's anything wrong with being trans, tho. My girlfriend is trans, but she's traditionalist, voted for Trump, and is pretty much redpilled. I just hate leftist trannys who use their sexuality for politics.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but trany user does seem like a legit trany.

their demographic is FSF members and allegiates

>over a dozen exploits
>comfy

So they expect other people to buy it for them?

>Not that there's anything wrong with being trans
Yea. I read the CoC.
>their demographic is FSF members and allegiates
The price doesn't matter as long as they aren't paying for it I guess.

>Yea. I read the CoC.
youre obviously being sarcastic, but from what ive seen most Jow Forums trannies are fine.