Fish

fishshell.com/

>fish suggests commands as you type based on history and completions, just like a web browser. Watch out, Netscape Navigator 4.0!

Why are you still using bash Jow Forums?

Attached: shinji.png (640x480, 625K)

Other urls found in this thread:

rootnroll.com/d/fish-shell/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Because it's installed and I don't feel like using some meme shell that does way more than a shell should do.

>>fish suggests commands as you type based on history and completions
so Ctrl+R and Tab in bash?

Attached: fuckoffb2reddit.jpg (341x292, 30K)

because I'm not some jobless autist who insists on using the command line for 90% of my interaction with the computer even when it would be 10x faster to just click a button

>Arch Linux
>DASH
>XFCE

I like minimalism. Werks bretty gud on older machines to which I have an emotional attachment, and doesn't require anything more than what it has to do the job fine

Yes, but its always on.
rootnroll.com/d/fish-shell/
I always use tab to autocomplete, but this does it automatically.

yeah, but its a fucking shell that displays 24 colors. 1300kb is not going to make a big difference.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is the kind of mentality I have with those machines. So, I still keep dash. Besides, I don't like how fish spoon feeds you everything. Bash is ok-ish, so is zsh in my book, while I'm at it

I started using fish like a week ago.
The autocompletion is pretty neat. Although I like bash better than zsh, I has been using zsh for years because I liked the auto completion so much.
The thing is I used to use the Ctrl-R search a lot in both bash and zsh, and it's not a thing in fish as far as I know.

>10x faster to just click a button
Just an insecure autist that can't use a cli.

You don't actually use dash as your interactive shell, do you?

I'm sure no one does and they're just meming. Dash lacks tab completion ffs.

>it's not a thing in fish
just type what you want and use the up arrow
by the way this can be enabled to zsh and probably bash

Is it possible to (easily) remap the arrows to other keystrokes?

zsh is the greatest

switched to fish and dash
never looked back

because i use zsh and run my intensive shit in ash

>I don't like how fish spoonfeeds
This. I know how to use *nix, I don't need some dumbass shell to teach me.

Because bash is the default everywhere, I don’t want to think about what shell I’m using when I come to a different machine or ssh into a server

fish_vi_key_bindings

i have enough trouble keeping up with POSIX shell syntax and fish would be just another syntax to learn. i don't even use bash primarily. i use a combination of zsh and mksh depending on the machine, and i modified inputrc to behave like mksh. much more comfy

gimmicks

The obvious solution would be to replace all the other outdated garbage and just keep bash (scripts) and fish (interactive).

Worked for our ~50 server setup at work

>mksh, ash, and dash are outdated
whatever you say, zoomer

They are. Having one unified sane configuration over all systems increases productivity and decreases chances for error.

Funny story: When we proposed and tested the switch, one old """"senior""" technician was very opposed to this. Guess who has his job now :^)

all the shells i mentioned support POSIX scripting just fine and are thus largely interoperable

neat. thanks buddy