Best distro for audio recording and producing? Best DAW?

Best distro for audio recording and producing? Best DAW?

Attached: 1516169144690.jpg (600x459, 53K)

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/oxygenfad/fasttracker-2-2007
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

pic related

Attached: 1572318274391.jpg (1599x1275, 293K)

Ubuntu Studio?

DISTRO DOESNT MATTER, as long as you have jacked set up
you can try ardour but youll find its shit
lmms is a bad FL copy
bitwig is good but costs money
reaper is good but its unsupported on linux

then youll just go back to w10 or make a hackintosh

I just use Live 8 and Wine user. Works like ass but it works.

Attached: Facebook-sucks-Richard-Stallman.jpg (400x266, 20K)

gentoostudio
best daw - milkytracker

macOS

imagine being so brain damaged you can work comfortable with trackers

no only reason to have macOS is to run Pro Logic samples (but you can probably convert them now) there like 300gigs of them.

I use a old busted white MacBook that can run Logic X and use Windows with Pro Tools.

im not sure which is the best DAW on linux but honestly i would just install linux or run Pro Tools in wine. these programs are more complex than you think and you cant just create and new one easily and catch up to the main ones.

audio is complex. its not just 0101010 = noise.

>Best distro for audio recording and producing
Windows or MacOS

>Best DAW?
FL Studio, Logic, Reason, Ableton, ProTools, Cubase

Pick one

gentoostudio comes with less useless shit than ubuntu studio

It should be illegal to "produce" music that had not been written in proper sheet form prior.

Attached: produca.jpg (733x520, 123K)

What about old music that was born before sheet music existed?

Ubuntu Studio.
Ubuntu Studio is for multimedia creation on Linux as Kali is for pentesting.

You can install everything by yourself but using Ubuntu Studio will speed it up and its a way to try out different programs
without having to install them yourself.

Give it a spin, if you dont like it. change DE or distro and install the programs you want.

Classical music from the 20th century in often written in improper form, you brainlet.

But I do write my atonal stupid trash music with distorted guitars in Sibelius in sheet notation because it forces me to think about the interval relationships between the instruments.

>FL Studio
Ewwwww.

Logic Pro X

its industry-proven at this point, even if you dont like it

Audiophile Linux.

without thinking about the best what distros are geared towards audio production anyways? I know there's gentoo studio, ubuntu studio, I think fedora has a one too, what else is there?

This was written in DOS in Fasttracker 2 on a Pentium 133.
soundcloud.com/oxygenfad/fasttracker-2-2007

"written"

And it's some retarded shit noise without rhythm or reason, so yeah, not much of an endorsement for that software.

C64 tunes from the 80s literally sound orders of magnitude better than that crap.

>reaper is good but its unsupported on linux
It's in beta now

Windows

Sorry, I'm an idiot ;_;
>Note: Linux builds are experimental and unsupported. Please read the included readme.txt for more information.
It still kind of works though ;)

>Improvisation is illegal now

most people would be afraid to start some project on unsupported releases
it could literallly just waste your time if some bug doesnt let you do something you need to do

When KXstudio gets updated probably that. I installed it on top of debian yesterday and was seriously disappointed.

kxstudio is good for doing some fucking around experimenting but its too unix-y to be useful for artists who just want to get a song done

Win xp
Cooledit 2

Unironically w7/10
Cubase

I'm just starting out. Based on everything I've read and people I've talked to, most of the professional Daws are pretty close feature-wise. It's just a case of what you're most comfortable working with.

I looked at 3 when I was picking, Reaper, Pro Tools, and Logic.

Reaper is nice because it's cheap (free if you don't mind the nag screen, $60 if you aren't big time, $225 if you start making bank) and really customizable. It's not as "pretty" as other DAWs out of the box, but is every bit as capable.

I ruled out Pro Tools because it's expensive and is infested with DRM. I'm also not a fan of their subscription pricing model and the idea of features being locked behind a paywall.

I ended up going with Logic because the price was reasonable ($200, but you need a mac, I have a mac) and I wanted to experiment with doing sound for games and movies. Logic has a pretty massive sound library and none of the DRM bullshit that Pro Tools has. Free updates too. I was also somewhat familiar with it because I've used Garage Band.

Because it's Apple, it's a little bit of a snowflake. It's not a huge deal, but you may have to do a bit of fiddling to get the projects to work nicely with another DAW, and the projects tend to generate filenames with characters that are illegal on Windows. It's not a huge deal, but expect to do some file conversion.

I'd try Reaper first and see if that meets your needs. It's free to download and has no restrictions other than a nag screen. If you have a Mac, Logic seems like the best "other" option. I wouldn't buy a Mac purely for Logic though.

I'd advise against Linux, but I'll admit that I've never tried doing any audio work on it. I'd just be super wary about hardware compatibility, although it's probably not a huge deal once you find a good interface. You also may have trouble finding help online.

>he doesnt listen to glitch-hop

Literally everyone in Japan uses it.

I remember your other threads
Kys

>t.

only reason to pick logic is the sample library

Attached: 1538892243516.jpg (680x680, 87K)

No you don't, only audio related post I've made in here was asking about interfaces in an audio questions thread.

Any distro is fine, a workstation environment is better suited though.
And Bitwig is like Ableton and was developed by some of the original devs of Ableton who aren't working on it anymore, and has a Linux port.
I'd suggest going with Debian because Bitwig only has an official .deb install and it's too much work to dance around and convert the .deb using Alien or something.

But Bitwig is Linux Ableton and is really good. Fuck is wrong with you?

Holy shit, Jow Forums is more controlling of music than /mu/.
Hitler ass faggot.

>praising people for making basic comments
fag

>PRAISING
WHAT.

I've been using Reaper for months after having been familiar with Sony ACID/Vegas for years. I'm a little upset that I didn't switch sooner because it's cheap, full of features, and seldom crashes.

The interface is straightforward, for the most part. I ran into some trouble when I tried busing until I learned about "folder tracks" where you just create a track, then drag other tracks into it to group them together. Also, if you want to change anything, you definitely can because it has an integrated scripting system

AV GNU/Linux comes with a low latency kernel and some useful software preinstalled, but you can do the same to any distro.

whats the typical latency with onboard sound on linux?

just get a $100 macbook. it'll save you so much more time

i live in mordor
only way im getting a macbook is if i kill a tourist that has one