Don't you miss when phones actually used to have character instead of all just being "generic black rectangle with 16:9...

Don't you miss when phones actually used to have character instead of all just being "generic black rectangle with 16:9 touchscreen running android"?

Attached: ks360.jpg (800x800, 69K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=t5AQBJxGbWg
oled-info.com/nokia-oled
blackl.com/black-google.php.
twitter.com/AnonBabble

This was my best phone ever, the LG Keybo. Dropped it in the toilet.

Attached: LG-enV2-Going-to-Canada-as-LG-KEYBO-3.png (480x470, 79K)

I'm sure you like stuff labeled """gamer""" too

well, your phone is all screen now, so it's character is what's on the screen, which, if you run android, is completely up to you. i get what you're trying to say but i personally don't really care that much for it

I had that phone, but in pink. shit was cash. I was the envy of middle school. I miss the bright "color pop" style of the mid-late 2000s.

I still own two of those. Used them when I used to go to classes years ago.

I use a blackberry. Get at me

Holy shit I had one of these in high school. Paid $200 for the fucker

Technology has stopped progressing.
Now everyone is just assembling ready-made parts into slightly variable glass bricks.

I miss phones that were actually usable.

I don't miss those phones because I'm using a Blackberry Keyone right now.

which one? i am finally going to upgrade to a smart phone but want to keep the physical keyboard

Attached: a-7600.jpg (570x413, 17K)

No, I’m not looking for ‘character’ in my tools but functionality.

this
/thread

my favorite looking phone

Attached: 1520214796893.jpg (858x954, 60K)

The N95 was literally perfect in anything but the fact that the internals are outdated as fuck.
Even the OS wasn't that bad. The note-taking app was perfect and I'm still searching for something similar on Android.

This is the face of bait and autism.

this shit even had an always on display

Nostalgia faggots like you are the worst, keep crying that we dont use 10 pixel screens and steam engines anymore retard

t. zoomer

- posted on my iDroid XXDphone Faceboogle approved

Why do zoomers not understand usability? Why don't they care about haptics and ease of use? Are they so conditioned by touchscreens that they don't even understand the concept of having a device that does not command your attention at all times is entirely alien to them?

>Always on display
Why the fuck is there still no good way to do this in Android?
And don't mention battery consumption. Always-on display lowers brightness to the lowest setting anyway and it barely impacted lifetime on my Windows Phone.
In fact, nothing drains more battery on my Android phone than the cellular module. Always-on functionality would be a miniscule drain in comparison.

how do you think the majority of your electricity is made dumbass?

yes I do

Attached: danger-hiptop---t-mobile-sidekick-1.jpg (500x550, 27K)

phones with amoled displays tend to have always on support

>Year of our lord 2018.
>Use the raw power of the atom to create electrical power...
>by heating water to turn a wheel.

The future is boring.

I really miss buttons. I've had a few different modem android phones the last 4-5 years, they're just not fun to use. Touch interfaces are shit even for aimless dumb web browsing let alone writing something. Almost want to get something like pic related. I'd get a keyone if you could root it. Phones have objectively gotten worse the last 5 years with no buttons, no removable batteries, glass backs and other bs NPCs have been memed into.

Attached: q10.png (800x799, 498K)

>phones with amoled displays tend to have always on support
You just made me remember the Lumia 950. I think that was the Windows Phone with AMOLED display that didn't have always-on functionality because the screen lacked the necessary buffer. Actually quite a hilarious oversight.

Anyway, why are there no apps that backport the AMOLED always-on functionality to any arbitrary phone? Is this shit done on a driver level?
I know some similar apps exist, but they clearly don't work as well as the native solutions and tend to be rather hacky.

Really miss my zeal T_T

Attached: 57878843_1500197603_1.jpg (600x600, 47K)

Attached: 1525670267234.jpg (480x360, 36K)

You can have always on display on IPS phones with exposed modules/custom roms. The reason why nobody does it is because when Amoled can light up specific pixels, leaving the rest of the screen unlit, IPS has to light up the whole screen, and that takes a larger toll on your battery than with amoled.

Man i miss the time when Nokia were the Kings of pohnes. Such a good time it was

yeah man those were the days haha

Attached: 1200px-Nokia-NGage-LL.jpg (1200x685, 152K)

n95 did it by disabling the back-lighting, yes the always on display was unreadable basically

*sips* yeah, those were the days.

Oh man I remember when I used to play THPS on that thing
Those were the days

youtube.com/watch?v=t5AQBJxGbWg
damn that's kind of impressive

>old things are useless meme
stop watching movies as a source for technology

This: I wish smartphones were not so similar and soap-like but compared to functionality loss (batteries, electromechanical buttons, weak GPS receiver, dependece of much software on internet access, retarded "intuitive" touch-only UI), I do not care about it.

Yeah I liked when they had style, but i didn't liked feeling like an old man struggling to navigate through menus and stuff. Android felt really intuitive to use since the first time I used it.

I got matching phones for my girl and me. Yeah she cheated on me with a black.

Attached: s-l300.jpg (300x300, 16K)

yep these were the times

Attached: male.jpg (527x394, 19K)

>IPS has to light up the whole screen, and that takes a larger toll on your battery than with amoled
That's something that I mentioned in my post specifically because I knew it would come up.

It worked on the N95 and on the Lumias. So why not on Android?

>It worked on the N95 and on the Lumias.
What do you mean?

How can that be possible without wasting battery charge or turning backlight off?

They both had always-on displays on ordinary LCDs, as opposed to AMOLED, and yet it didn't make much of an impact on battery runtime.

it turned backlight off, yes it was barely visible

Did N95 have segmented backlight or something?

no, instead it looked like the gameboy display basically, no backlight on

Android phones can't have this ecause they are fucking glossy.
I have Loox 720, shit's readable almost like e-ink under external light.

or actually, I think it had to have a backlight I guess because as you can see in this example image, while incredibly faded, it is display whiter than the turned off section of the display

Attached: 1508432613683.jpg (3000x2207, 489K)

I hate how flip phones are only a thing in china

here's a no photoshop version, the clock moved around like a screensaver

Attached: 1537434772054.jpg (500x362, 280K)

It's only lighter because of external light. No way around wasting battery except that. You can also see that there's no glow as if backlight was segmented which diminishes the probability of that it's backlight even further.

>Technology has stopped progressing.
Bravo, you retarded boomer nostalgiatard. It was so much better when you could play snake all day on your one inch two colors screen.

I just want physical buttons and removable batteries and the headphone jack back, also deappleification, I want control of my devices back goddammit

Attached: 1457102734939.gif (517x343, 176K)

I want to play emulators in something like this but with a modern chip
But Zoomers and Gaymers still want to play games on touch screen. I fucking hate it

Attached: 15254390640006b80566b8782f986ea5f30287855aa3296d92acff06098b52adfac753eee8b27f7ac8508ecbcca03794b002 (494x325, 23K)

just buy a case that has a sliding controller like that

From what I remember, there was absolutely no light there. At night the screen did not glow.
But it was still enough for it to be readable. If you pressed a button, the backlight would come on.

I much prefer this to an indicator LED - have the information available while you are awake and have ambient light, while being completely unobtrusive when you are trying to sleep.

And yet there aren't any more advancements beyond small increments in CPU power (something that is already sufficient in smartphones and has been for years, only held back by shitty software), memory and storage (which you still pay out of the ass for, now with no option for SD-cards) and better USB charging (still an order of magnitude slower than what we used to have - the N95 charged in thirty minutes, while the Jelly Pro with exactly the same battery capacity needs two fucking hours). Oh and larger and larger screens because apparently the entire world needs to compensate for small dicks.

Internals have gotten small enough. How about finally investing in mechanics again? We certainly got room to spare in modern smartphones.

My dude... I'm looking for this for years.
Do you know where I can get it for my galaxy s7?

Attached: 1538423851621.jpg (850x600, 184K)

>So why not on Android?

The N95 had an LCD panel that included display memory, so it could cache and redraw frames stored in the display memory without waking up the CPU or needing the GPU to update the output.

Nokia then did the same for their Lumia lineup, and wherever they used a display that included display memory the option to enable AOD was available. The reason why Android doesn't allow this on all displays is because, as explained earlier, the market predominantly has TFT LCD displays of the TN or IPS variety, and you can't efficiently have an AOD option without buggering the battery life. There's also the fact that Android isn't designed to make use of an AOD for the most part, and every other implementation, even those by HMD, pale in comparison to what Nokia proper used to be able to offer.

The N95 solved this problem by disabling the backlight. The display panel itself consumes very little electricity, and the majority of the power consumption is due to the backlight.

>The reason why Android doesn't allow this on all displays is because, as explained earlier, the market predominantly has TFT LCD displays of the TN or IPS variety,
Thanks for this explanation. Now I finally understand what is going on.

>what Nokia proper used to be able to offer
It's always sad when you see regressions like this. Tech and ideas just thrown out to never be re-used.

Nokia also had a leg up on battery life benchmarks with their AMOLED displays while everyone else was using older backlight tech.

oled-info.com/nokia-oled

Everyone else in the phone industry was happy to use whatever was available, while Nokia took the time to source the right components to make LED/AMOLED displays work for Symbian.

Also, and my final point, this is why there's such a concern and desire for dark themes on devices now. Nokia crafted beautiful dark themes for their displays that had drastic battery life savings. We even had websites take advantage of it, like blackl.com/black-google.php.

Shame smartphones are fucking trash made to be fashionable

I called n95 8gb the spiderman phone because it came with spiderman 3

Thankfully my Galaxy S7 is an absolute unit and it just works without complaint. This phone is a proper tool.

Why would i miss phones that had half the potential of the cheapest smartphone of today?

>The reason why Android doesn't allow this on all displays is because, as explained earlier, the market predominantly has TFT LCD displays of the TN or IPS variety, and you can't efficiently have an AOD option without buggering the battery life.
Fujitsu-Siemens Loox 720 has TN TFT and it has a damn good readability without backlight. TFT is not a problem, gloss is.

>It worked on the N95 and on the Lumias. So why not on Android?
The N95 didn't turn the backlight on for it, and the Lumias have AMOLED displays.

Mate every phone for fucking ages has been literally exactly the same, there is no advancements and they have to come up with stupid gimmicks like muh bezel and muh notch to keep selling this shit to NPCs.

>Fujitsu-Siemens Loox 720

Good God, Windows Mobile. Guess I'll have nightmares again

>You just made me remember the Lumia 950. I think that was the Windows Phone with AMOLED display that didn't have always-on functionality because the screen lacked the necessary buffer. Actually quite a hilarious oversight.
False.

Attached: P1010018.jpg (2560x1920, 1.59M)

>Don't you miss when phones actually used to have character instead of all just being "generic black rectangle with 16:9 touchscreen running android"?
I need a samsung folder2 i miss so mach a flip phone

>
>which one? i am finally going to upgrade to a smart phone but want to keep the physical keyboard
Samsung folder2
Use android and is popular in korea (for students who doesnt want to be distracted by the phone) i want to buy one user you should to

Hey I had that one
The MSN app was so fucking cash

>wanting to enjoy tv shows or browsing the web on a big screen is compensation
Oh yes, I bet you enjoyed doing that when phones evolved (for real) to having two inch color screens. You probably pressed the retardedly small buttons with your massive dong as well. Just buy a modern dumbphone already you hipstershit.

Shame smartphones are $1000 Whatsapp devices.

For me, it's the Palm Pre: the greatest smartphone ever made.

Attached: palm-pre-full-1.jpg (631x476, 42K)

>the Lumias have AMOLED displays
No, only one or two of the high-end variants did.
I know the 950 had an AMOLED display and, ironically, no always-on function thanks to not having the necessary screen buffer.

I really don't care about what they look like now, but I do miss the days of them having QWERTY thumb boards. I would even take styli again too, so that everything on the screen didn't have to be big enough to hit with a thumb, and websites across the Internet weren't being redesigned with mobile phones in mind. Honestly, too much shit has changed to accommodate the generic black rectangles of today, instead of the generic black rectangles changing themselves.

>no always-on function thanks to not having the necessary screen buffer.
See:

Yeah, it was actually the 930.
I remembered it being one of the high-end ones but thought it was the last one, not the second-to-last one.

That isn't a tail.

How about you stop being a stalinist cuck and let me have my choice of phone type? Bad enough that Soviet Russia didn't have more than one type of meat, but the least you could do is let me have my smart phone that is small and has buttons but is not a dumb phone.
There is room for more choice in the world than just "mostly identical glass bricks" vs "diverse set of cheap and dumb China wares".

That phone was a piece of shit. I went through 3 and they would always crash when you'd slide the keyboard back.

Attached: 812Te191ZfL._SX569_.jpg (569x569, 29K)

>tfw phones battery would last a week
Now that's something that I truly miss

I really hope RCS or some other open standard takes off so I can go back to using a dumbphone and not cut myself off from 90% of people

It was pretty cool at the time but I prefer the slate aesthetic now

putting your phone to charge every night isn't really a big deal to be honest

>Nobody mentioning the Gemini PDA, one of the only smartphones with a keyboard released in 2018

Nostalgiafags are the fucking worst circlejerkers.

Attached: a384f3803b25725edaadb35bfb2294dc.jpg (900x714, 65K)

This

i only the first version of that phone and it was breddy gud
i miss clicky buttons

And where could you find that?
Yeah, thought so.

i dont get this complain, it can last up to 12 hours if you are browsing and you can charge them everywhere, and is only going to get better.

>tfw you will charge your phone by just entering mc donalds in some years

McDonald's already have USB and QI where I live.

Doesn't matter though if you are on the move. It's not always convenient to make stops just to extend your battery lifetime.

And not all phones get 12 hours of battery life.

There's also telemetry though. In any android phone, installing a google-less rom results in double or triple de battery life. I imagine something similar would happen with iPhones if they had custom roms

>my phone is my pacifier
>I am placated because all I do is play games on my phone
>fuck productivity and a social life I want a video game phone

was thinking in wireless charging there.

i only pay $20 a month and lasts 6 hours at work lurking in this place, and my phone is a piece of shit.

I really don't.