Just bought a laptop with an i3-5020U and 4gb of ddr3 ram, I mainly want to use it for web browsing but its pretty slow...

Just bought a laptop with an i3-5020U and 4gb of ddr3 ram, I mainly want to use it for web browsing but its pretty slow, how can I speed it up?

Attached: 1507516180470.png (671x519, 146K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cloveros.ga/
gitgud.io/cloveros/cloveros
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

If you just use it to browse, install a linux distro like ubuntu or mint. Less bloated - > faster

replace the spinning rust with a cheap ssd and throw linux on it.

>4gb of ram

You need 16gb at the minimum. The creep is real and pretty soon 32gb will be needed as a standard.

Go to your C:/ drive and delete System32.

No need. Just install 1809 and trust M$ to screw it up for OP

uninstall windows

/thread

install gentoo

use linux with a lightweight DE or IDE, and firefox. someone i know does this on a 10+ year old machine with 1 gb ram and it's all he needs for web browsing and videos.

>i3-5020U and 4gb of ddr3 ram
>pretty slow
amazing
i had a 16yo hp with p3 and 1g ram work fine with firefox 60

Or disable caching entirely. Cache lookups are stupidly slow because of HDD seek times.
Also, go lightweight (install a distro with LXDE or something) and throw in more RAM if you keep lots of tabs open.
You can also try forcing hardware acceleration in your browser.

that's a myth
slow is either
>driver/firmware
>overused ram/swap

fucking hell this hits home
every damn time i update windows on my pc, it's a gamble. i've had to roll back updates and reinstall 4 times because it either completely destroyed GPU/NIC drivers or caused BSODs
back with 7 i used to be able to hit OK to all in WSUS once a month on a test group, then wait a week, and OK to everyone else
10 has totally destroyed my ability to set and forget about updates. if even 1 pc messes up during a large update, i'll have to spend several hours rolling it back and reinstalling
fuck MS

Have you ever looked at how bad NT is as scheduling tasks?
Spawn a single process that thrashes a single processor and look at detailed processor usage. Code monkeys at Microsoft don't seem to be aware that CPUs have per-core caches, and that context switches are expensive.
And don't get me started on how poorly designed it is (literally rendering fonts in kernel, joke of a file system…)

Whats a good SSD for a laptop?
I mainly want to use it to shitpost on Jow Forums

also what are some good accessories for a laptop in general?

>i3-5020U
>U
no wonder your system is dying LMAO
seriously study what those letters at the end means XD

By 5th gen U-series CPUs were almost on par with M-series Sandy Bridge chips, so it's not that bad. I hope you have good thermal paste and adequate cooling, though.

Install Haiku on a SSD. There, your computer is now okay at webbrowsing (web browsing is actually one of the heaviest tasks that a computer does)

Attached: Screenshot_20181007-202426.png (775x575, 262K)

really makes me think

Attached: 1506719584853.png (749x852, 15K)

You need Xubuntu/Lubuntu friend.

install Xubuntu with proper drivers

VOID GNU/LINUX
O
I
D

G
N
U
/
L
I
N
U
X

Install Pop!_OS mate, all other Linux distros are butt ugly only Jow Forums and their mothers can love.

install linux with new kde 5.15. it boots 0.1 seconds faster than before!

I wanna do this but windows is like $140 and I dont want to lose it

I'm reading this on a laptop with 2GB of RAM dude. 4GB is do-able but I'd recommend 8

it probably has a really slow hard drive. install a brand new SSD on it.

for web browsing you need 4gb or more of RAM, or avoid using more than one tab at once.

you can create a partition for windows when you install linux.

16GB is only useful when you're using demanding applications, like audio and video editors, or 3d modeling software. above that is overkill for consumers at this point

>its pretty slow
cloveros.ga/
Thank me later.

resize your windows partition to free space for linux then install GRUB to dual boot

i like how their distro website is unfinished and doesn't contain help sections

I use 4 gb.
34 pages opened up and i see no lag.

San Disk, Samsung, ADATA

>he needs help
gitgud.io/cloveros/cloveros

1) Buy another 4GB stick. More RAM is always better + it will run in dual channel and 3D graphics / games will run 50% faster (this is really essential for these CPUs/APUs).

2) Buy and SSD.

That's probably all you can do. I think the CPU should be powerful enough for comfortable browsing.

also the new RAM stick's specs should be as close as possible to the original one (if not identical).

Buy a cheap 128gb ssd off of Ebay and 4 more gigs of ram, install mint and then jack it to loli you sicko

add Crucial to this list

Not wrong. My winblows machine at work regularly uses 24GB out of 32. All the different browsers across multiple virtual desktops adds up. At home I get away with linux, i5 cpu and 5.7GB (wtf?) memory. But it's not enough and I'm about to do a mega upgrade.
Crap like atom text editor really accelerates this trend. Even if I had 64GB of memory I wouldn't use atom.

Pretty much all of them are good, just stay away from off brand chink shit you have never heard of.