Overclockin/g/

Does Jow Forums overclock their processors? Why or why not?

I basically think of overclocking as a meme that requires you to pay more money for a cooler than is worth given the performance improvements. What do you Jow Forumsuys think? If you have overclocked your processor, how much more performance did you get? Did it require you to get a huge expensive cooler?

I picked up a Ryzen 7 chip and it's already pretty fast for what I do, but I'm toying with the idea of overclocking it if I can find a cheap cooling solution. So far, the $50-60 extra that I'd need to pay makes it seem not worth the while for doing so.

Attached: overklockenwertz.jpg (474x316, 37K)

Let's do the math. I'm using a 6700k. It has a base clock of 4.0 GHz, and I have it overclocked to 4.7 GHz. The 6700 is about $50 cheaper than the K. It has a base clock of 3.4 GHz. The cooler cost me $90.

So the 6700k is about $140 more expensive including the cost of the cooler. If we ignore turbo, my clock speed is 27.7% higher than a 6700. Even if you factor in the 4.0 GHz turbo clock (which really only applies to one core, the rest don't clock as high), that's still about 15% higher clock speeds. Lets average those two numbers out to be conservative, and we still get a 21% clock increase. For an extra $140. Yes, it's worth it.

I have a x58 board with a xeon x5660 from around 2010-2011 thats overclocked from 2.8ghz to 4.2ghz (will do 4.6ghz but with alot more heat output).
It still performs good enough to run every game I've tried well over 60fps.

So I guess if you buy the right parts, overclocking can give you alot better performance and longevity.

I run watercooling, everything bought second hand over the years for very cheap, even if I upgrade my hw now I can still use the same cooling.

But for the most part, you won't get the same overclocking potential with todays hw. You can't even overclock the high grade xeons and such, and the oc-able cpus from both intel and amd runs pretty close to their potential on stock frequency.

Also new watercooling parts are expensive as fuck.

Attached: spcy.jpg (674x532, 109K)

only on my vidya gaymen machine. That's a separate computer, all I do on it is gaymen, all of my other tasks are on a (non-overclocked) desktop. I'd care if an unstable processor fucked up my main machine. But for gaymen, it's at most annoying and inconvenient, it's not like it'll corrupt important data or anything.

Absolutely not. I save up for my shit and want it to last as long as possible.

>implying that a 21% clock increase translates into an overall 21% performance bump

Bust out a video or some charts or sumtin', cause I'm saying sumting wong with your analysis brah.

I would overclock if it would not increase the powerconsumption buy this hughe amount. Like seriously up to 50% is just insane.
I am a efficency guy, if i have a rig that consumes 700W i would consider it uneconomical.
And seeing how the gains/W are not reasonable I leave it be

Btw I spend extra on cooling just to keep the system quiet so the fans never go close to 80%

That's what stress testing is for, going past stable limits should not be acceptable.

The longevity depends mostly on how high the temps are, if you don't go crazy on the voltages and temps are under 70-80c on full load, the overclocking won't kill or degrade the hw.

Also having a quality psu helps.

Personally I've been overclocking all my hw I've had since 2005, and not once have something died or degraded on me.

The relationship isn't completely linear but performance is strongly correlated with clock speed. If you need a chart to know that, maybe you should lurk moar.

Ok, so you're telling me that an FX-8350 at 5.0 GHz is better than your processor? If so I have a juicy deal you might be interested in.

Nice strawman. I was comparing a 6700 with a 6700k, two CPUs with the same IPC.

Are you mainly using your PC for gaming or getting actual work done?

both

if i didnt have a low profile noctua cooler and a better MB, i'd be tempted to

Attached: guts.jpg (2765x2074, 724K)

I wouldn't overclock a CPU I couldn't afford to replace.

Not anymore, with modern AMD CPUs it's really not necessary and you get actually better performance plus cooling/power when you let it handle it itself, you just set the upper power limits and give your consent to voiding warranty.
We have come such a long way.

Attached: 1520818775452.jpg (357x362, 30K)

>I picked up a Ryzen 7 chip
With stock cooler you can get pretty good results just using Precision Boost Overdrive and VRM cooling as it's really more the board that's holding it back, while gaming and such you never need more than a few cores overclocked

I was looking at that, supposedly this chip (Ryzen 7 2700) can turbo up to 4GHz or thereabouts. I've been using it to render videos and play some games and I've yet to see it go beyong 3.3 GHz in either case. Is there something wrong with this chip, or do you have to turn on Precision boost? My understanding was that it is enabled by default.

Attached: Ryzen Master.png (970x555, 229K)

I think in the end it's just not really worth it desu. Anything above 4 GHz is point of diminishing returns where very little performance is gained for exponentially more heat output and power consumption which wear out components faster.

4c @ 4.4 = 10% better ST and MT for ~50% more heat output and power consumption. Not worth it imho.

Set it to manual, precision boost uses the highest voltage to ensure stability but chews through power and outputs heat like a motherfucker.

First find the lowest voltage for 3.8 GHz and then for 4.1 GHz.

overclocking is literally for people on budgets people are retarded and say shit like "don't want to risk it" but you realize modern hardware is designed to never get damaged even when overclocking it just turns off or throttles instead.

overclocking a decade ago was slightly unsafe but since i7 its been 100% safe.

Use Precision Boost with actually higher than stock limits you tard, you want stability. I can get 4.4GHz on single core and 4.3GHz on all covers with PBO2 with higher than stock power limits.

Pentium G3258 @ 4.1GHz
Why? Because.

Attached: 1476487578422.gif (640x636, 359K)

not worth the headache for minimal performance gains and yugely increased power draw.

now the athlon XP2500+ days *sips*

My 1700x doesn't go over 3.8ghz, the 2700x doesn't get much over 4.0ghz and some don't even hit that mark.

Overclocking on Ryzen is a meme as it's already pushed about as far as it will go out of the factory.

We are no longer in the days where you could overclock something like a Pentium/Core2Duo a full ghz from factory without much more than the copperslug thick cooler that came with Pentium Ds.

Attached: s-l225.jpg (225x225, 15K)

Nah, my i3 8100 is stuck at stock speed.

I've read it can be technically oc'd, but performance gain is negligible.

No biggie though, it's a good budget CPU.

Couldn't sleep and didn't have anything better to do so I tried tweaking ram subtimings.
My chinese cartoon watching productivity is gonna skyrocket bros.

Attached: durr.jpg (779x1059, 266K)