Neighbors threw it out (pic related) . what's the first thing i do?

neighbors threw it out (pic related) . what's the first thing i do?

Attached: 20131116_2006imacupgrade_4-300x300.jpg (300x300, 11K)

Other urls found in this thread:

apple-history.com/imac_late_06
apple-history.com/imac_coreduo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

shit on it

be thankful its not the POS it got 'upgraded' to, otherwise, need a chisel to shit in it

i might do this just for Jow Forums

A 2006 iMac is pretty useless these days. I guess you could install Gentoo on it for shits and gigs.

Throw it back out

does linux actually run on these things? i know it's old enough to have some support developed but it is a mac so why th efuck would anybody want to do that?

>why th efuck would anybody want to do that?

neckbeard cred and being able to claim they're "sticking it to Apple"

It does, and pretty well too. However you need to chaiload GRUB using rEFInd, due to the absolute hackjob of an EFI these early Intel macs have.

I use a 2006 imac for writing assignments, they aren't Linux compatible since they can't boot from loonux USBs or CDs

You heard 'em OP. Open it up and shit in it.

>not even PPC

yikes

>argue with free

sell it or

then see how long it still runs
>might prove, first time actually impressed with Apple here

try to find some nudes

they reset it

mactoddlers btfo till the end of time

Is it the C2D version?
They're a fine web browsing machine, except being vulnerable to every single intel exploit under the sun, totally unpatched.
Play around with some 32bit Linux distros. They're really not worth much. The recycling shop in my neck of the woods was selling them with mouse and keyboard for $20.

>C2D version
yeah it's the shitty version 1.8 ghz w/ 1.25 gb ram (is that normal?)

apple-history.com/imac_late_06
is it this one? if so, you can do plenty, even use it as a daily shitposting machine.
-First you max out the RAM (3GB).
-Then you put a SSD on it.
-Finally, you install elementaryOS.
This will give you a cute, useful browsing machine with an updated OS that will look and feel a lot like the original.
Now, if it's this one:
apple-history.com/imac_coreduo
You're stuck with a 32-bit CPU and 2GB of RAM, so your options are limited. I'd make it work with a distro that will still give it the "macOS" look while using less RAM, like Ubuntu MATE 18.04.1 LTS with the "Cupertino" preset on MATE Tweak.
It's a cute machine ans deserves some love if you have the time and space for it.

POO IN MAC

yes it is this one.

Data recovery

what to use? i do not know aplel

I have a C2D model and a G5, though mine have more RAM in them. The IBM machine is the only one that gets any use, though the C2D definitely is vastly more powerful. The G5 can struggle to play video on youtube while the C2D ones handle it well.
The only really issue they have is the DVD combo drives, I think they're called "Magic drives" they tend to shit the bed. They'll start spitting out blank discs, won't write anything, eventually they'll stop reading discs all together.
The models were known for that one issue more than anything. I'm pretty sure its actually some firmware thing, they might be designed to fail at a random interval like old ink cartridges reporting as empty when they still had ink. Its typical Apple bullshit.
At very least you have a neat little hobby machine to fuck around with Linux on.

popped a disc into it to test. seems to work, haven't burned anything with it though.

I got one for free last year, but have never really used it. I later got a G5 for free from the same source and that is now my primary machine.

I use mine for light web browsing and listening to music from time to time. To Apple's credit I'm surprised how nice the speakers are.
Backlight in mine is getting weak though. I'll need to do a screen transplant soon.

my q9450 > any mac of the same age so i ahve no reason to switch. i mostly picked it up for shitposting here and using internets while it's thundering/lightning

yeah i listened to a few tracks it wasnt bad, nothing about this pc could justify its pricetag though.

You sure it isn't the caps? Mine had a screen flickering and dimming problem when I got it, but once I recapped it it was fine. The iMac G5 is infamous for having shit caps.
I put a 2TB HDD and use it for all of my music, since I still use an iPod. Which browser do you use? I like Roccat, but it's way too unstable, so I just switched to vanilla Leopard Webkit. Though the user agent option in Roccat is handy for bypassing certain restrictions.

yea it's worth fixing, assuming it's in decent codition. I'd see if it has all hardware working before spending any more time/money on it.

>1.25 gb ram (is that normal?)
yes, it has 1.5GB but shares some of it with the GPU.
This is what I'd do:
-Replace the 512mb RAM stick with a matching 2GB one. It will cost you peanuts and it's stupid easy. Look it up on youtube.
-Replace the HDD with a SSD. This is *HELL* to do, but worth it. Any SATA drive will do.
After that, you're set. I'd also backup/store/clone the current drive just in case something goes horribly wrong.

what do i use to clone the drive?

wireless card works, screen doesn't flicker or anything, usb ports on the back work (i don't have a firewire to test) i popped a disc in the drive and it seems to read fine. It seems to have a noticeable HDD lag though. tl;dr it's in perfect working condition

dd of course.

I use "Easeus Todo Backup Free", it's the only I've used that just werks. There are plenty of others tho.

kewl. That HDD is most likely 12 y/o so I'd replace it ASAP.

Obviously everything Apple carries a huge premium just for its brand name. These machines are pretty cool though all things considered. I might end up milling a new heat sink for it to keep it nice and quiet while it runs full tilt.

It could be the caps, I've read about that. Its pretty likely that the backlight itself is going out though. This one came from a public school, was basically on 24/7 for a decade.
I actually had to polish up the surface with some steel wool followed by some polishing compound and orbital wheel to get the scratches off it. Its like new now, thankfully.
I got it from a store called FreeGeek in Minneapolis. $10. Best $10 I've ever spent.

While I have it apart I'll probably desolder and replace everything I can, buy a new screen and plop that in, and put a new heat sink in place.
I've always kind of been an IBM fanboy which is the real reason why I bought it in the first place. I want to run this thing into the fucking dirt, keep it alive and used as long as possible. Despite its shortcomings its still mindblowing to me what this single fucking core can do.

Oh and as for Browsers on OSX I've been using TenFourFox

mac os is garbage and i don't plan on using it if there's a stable linux distro i can use

Ubuntu MATE is what I dual boot with, I had some difficulty getting it installed initially, but it runs without issue.
The Ubuntu MATE community actually has a dedicated PPC section with a few long time members who still stick with it as their daily drivers. They're some extreme sort of autismal but they can problem solve pretty much anything with them.

Fpbp

install gentoo
or if youre a bitch like me, install debian

i don't have the patience to compile myself.

Mine also came from a school, but it was used in the office of the Catholic school I went to as a kid. They were going to throw it out, so I just asked if I could have it.
Which model is yours? Mine is the 2.0GHz model.
>Oh and as for Browsers on OSX I've been using TenFourFox
That one was just too slow for me, though the add-on support is good, albeit severely out of date now.
Debian-testing is alright, though it's a hassle to get mirrors working. OpenBSD has the best PowerPC support in my experience. There is also Adelie Linux, which is currently being developed for PPC, which might be worth a look.

Mine is 1.8ghz, has the ambient light sensor, Radeon 9600 GPU.
I wish TenFour was better supported, but I think thats like wishing for blood from a stone now. I'm kinda surprised it got this last update at all.

It's still being updated, but it hasn't been following Firefox since version 45. So it's unlikely to ever support the modern web better. PPC just doesn't have the hardware support to keep up.

this is making me want to open it up and shit on it now.

I'm aware of the hardware limitations, its basically a relic at this point. I guess I just always loved niche things.

I had to do that with a first gen Intel Mac Mini. It was a little painful to setup, but Debian runs butter smooth on it.

Debian offers a patched ISO that runs pretty smooth on these oddball first gen Intel uefi Macs. I'd research that and give it a shot.

>mac os is garbage
>a stable linux distro i can use

lol. Enjoy resolving driver problems and copying obscure terminal commands from forums filled with incel autists. I hope you don't use any proprietary software also, or do any audio production, image processing, video editing, or gaming.

>any of these things
>on an iMac from 2004/2005
Nigga take your stupid shit somewhere else.

zoomers get out

Attached: rule2.gif (400x300, 22K)

>>any of these things
>>on an iMac from 2004/2005
There's probably G5's still running ProTools somewhere, tbf.
>ok, maybe not
>forums filled with incel autists
y-you mean, worse than already?

do you even know where you are right now? what fucking video could i possibly use a 2006 imac to edit. an 800x600 webcam from 2003? obviously i have no problem installing anything myself but i'm not smart enough to say write my own drivers or make a patch(maybe?).. oh and gaming??? on a core 2 duo 1.8ghz????? are you trying to break the sound barrier in a dodge neon?, because that sounds like you're asking for alot.

Ctrl F Give it back, Jamal.
>no matches
You disappoint, Jow Forums.

kek thanks for making my night

same

Why would you assume someone stole a 12 year old computer that is worth $15 at most?

information gathering

to elaborate. why would someone steal a computer? one of two reasons. monetary value. or value in data/information.

why do you assume Jamal undertakes his daily routine in a discerning and systematic manner?

>what's the first thing i do?
Take the poo to the loo.

Attached: 1523380714714.jpg (2584x2520, 455K)

max the ram (should only cost 10 bucks), get a copy of mavericks, it should run ok and will support latest firefox etc.

do i have to get a mac keyboard for this piece of shit? i tried plugging my windows keyboard in and... it works but i don't think it will go into the recovery (reset?) menu....

not sure m8, don;t often have to do this shit with the macs i've owned. windows key should be the same as the command key i think though

>can't boot from USBs or CDs
Except they can

shud be Win+R
>think

>windows keyboard
No such thing.

>Ignore me.
>I. Donut. Exsits.

Attached: windows-keyboard[1].jpg (344x250, 19K)

That's a key.

ok my not aplel keyboard
del SK-8115

Attached: keyboard.jpg (361x139, 8K)

>del SK-8115
dell**

Literally all of Jow Forums argues about which free os is the best

another vote for shitting in it

a free pc i meant

compelling trips

how about shitting on a cd and feeding it to the cd drive?

didn't work

Or you could not be retarded and use EFIStub from rEFInd directly. GRUB is a bad bootloader

Holding it down *before* switching it on, yeah?
Maybe dont recognise the keyboard, onto Solution B:
fuckin a. You'd make Based Apple Scatman deliriously happy. You'd be his Star Turn every Apple Launch thread till eternity.

look for lewd pics duh

>solution B
install gentoo?

nope:
goddammit. Bonus points for 6 pints and a Curry Vindaloo first.

fucking dubs on top of dubs on top of trips i think the gods are calling for shitting on it

in it*

Oh well fucking played user, well fucking in.
No questioning their ways now,
>POO IN MAC!

holy fucking shit

Install Gentoo, unironically.
Who knows-- with a little tweaking, you might like it so much that it becomes your computer of preference.

imac < q9450

the beast lusts for poo

Attached: ss.png (725x407, 6K)

Do yourself a favor and flash that thing with a 5,1 firmware and upgrade it to a T7600 and 4GiB ram.