Woman loses extensive personal photo collection to the Windows 10 update

reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/9l2v3z/windows_1809_update_wiped_my_documents/e74wrhz/

"This happened to both of our Win10 pc's. It doesn't bother me since i mainly use macbook, but my wife lost all her photos and documents from past five years. Anything we can do to get them back? (Files are not in onedrive, windows.old etc folders)"

Nice going Microsoft.
Should have used Linux.

Attached: critical-process-died.jpg (500x301, 23K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/eqxaP4t9gEc?t=191
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

that’s the price of proprietary software

Let me ask a forum instead of Googling how to recover deleted files which will get me my answer in less than a second.

People who use Windows are fucking retarded.

If you don't store data on cloud or external storage you don't care about it.

It consistently amazes me that people do not make fucking backups or have redundant copies of their important files. Like I feel bad for people who have a natural disaster occur and lose their backups (not everyone has the resources for an offsite backup of large amounts of data) but for fucks sake, photos? Are you telling me that you seriously only had those on your PCs and nowhere else?
No sympathy.

How is that any different from boomers having a box of photos in a cupboard years ago? They didn't make backups either

Your post is so totally irrelevant that I lost my boner

>how is this any different than the times of cavemen? They didn’t take photos.

my sister does wedding photography and her camera has the option to save the photos to CF and SD and she doesn't use it. I asked her why and she said "Oh I don't know, just never bothered."

Nice going journalist.
Should have used backups.

Because back then you had the excuse of it being extremely cumbersome and not worth your while.
Meanwhile now it's a $15 flash drive and a few clicks away to make a backup of important photos, documents, etc. Let alone cloud storage.

>not being furiously aroused by irrelevance
Huh. Maybe I'm the weirdo.

she's going to fuck up one day and someone's wedding photos will be lost because of it
buy an SD for her if she doesn't have it

The Apple Macbook Pro with Retina Display doesn't have this problem.

braindead npcs who don't back-up half a decade of data

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

First of all, use the 3-2-1 rule to backup all your data. This is basic shit.
Second of all, you can restore to points before the Windows update...? What's the problem?

Big, if true.

>using windows
>unironically
Either you are too dumb for Linux or too poor for MacOS

even worse, these people store their personal stuff on cheap laptops wich are being beaten regularly and lended to kids for school/work

Attached: 1339550542692.jpg (580x346, 47K)

reminded me of that ubuntu girl who failed school

So from what im trying to understand, the new 1809 update would only delete *some* peoples files that were located in the personal folder? Its weird because it seems like the people bitching or tech illiterate fucktards and to get the 1809 update you had to push it on your system. I updated and I don't see any problems or had any of what file I had there deleted.

If you don’t make backups I have absolutely no sympathy for you. Windows breaking is no different from any other accidental data loss such as failed hard drive or electrical fault. It is no different. You should have backed it up

Man technology sure is advancing, Windows 10 is so shit that it considers deleting itself and update.

Attached: 1523549564814.png (219x241, 78K)

>and
an*

>You should have backed it up
Yeah, just like this woman
youtu.be/eqxaP4t9gEc?t=191

>keeping things you care about inside Windows
>not having backups

>5 years old
>no backup
Good, she deserved it.

Attached: bummer.jpg (480x360, 13K)

Try data recovery tools.
Friend of mine managed to restore my entire operating system on an old drive.

Most 5 year olds can't even use a computer...

>winblows
>2018
rofl

Recovering deleted partitions is trivial.

>operating system deletes personal documents while "upgrading"
Seriously they cant get away with this?

Attached: 1501865859060.gif (293x228, 415K)

Do I know you? I did this for a friend about 2 years ago.

>Not backing up your files
Imaging being this retarded

Microsoft is telling people to not use their PC until there is fix, apparently one of they new features is hiding old data not deleting and while you are using your PC it will rewrite that hiding data, I think is called Storage sense.

this is only happening on a beta branch you have to manually opt into you fucking retards holy shit you basement dwelling chimps are so stupid its actually disgusting, get some sunlight you virgins

>not everyone has the resources for an offsite backup
Do amerifats really not have two houses at 200km from each other?
And you call us yuropoors...

No, it happened on the preview branches and they pushed it to general release regardless.

Files don't get insta-deleted just because you don't see them. There is software out there that will let you analyze your hd data in hexidecimal and piece files together. If you don't want to figure that out look for a company in your closest major city that recovers data. I'm not sure what they charge, but they stay pretty busy so there may be more than one in the area making the price competitive.

:3

The reason why I move my document to other drive. eg. to D:\. to avoid kind of things happen to me.

WIN10TARDS BTFO

>WINDOWS 10
>STABLE
LOL

Or just like, make backups.

Based Microsoft, making sure the NSA can't steal your files.

How's that different from any other file system. Deleting files doesn't delete it unless you need the space or you write over it with zeros

Dumb bitch, always save your stuff on an external HDD and a thumb drive. Also, buy an external DVD burner and save your shit on disks. They're dirt cheap and having more than one or two media doesn't hurt.

>How is that any different from boomers having a box of photos in a cupboard years ago? They didn't make backups either

If you want to know, what is the difference between hard copies and digital data:
Take the box of photos and your HDD and smash it a few times onto your desk and floor. Now check how much of the data you can still read. That's the difference.

>"Its ok if my OS deletes my files without my permission"
>"I'll just by more back up"
The state of win10 cucks

Attached: 1515562306566.jpg (640x633, 87K)

Are you seriously suggesting these things can never happen on open source? How delusional are you?

B-Buuuut daddy watches over meee

Attached: 1519438903809.jpg (2048x1145, 289K)

Unlike Microsoft, open source listens their beta testers. Microsoft knew about this months before release and they released it anyway.

They don't.
>be foss
>have no third party have direct access to your filesystem
If someone does then you were hacked. Microsoft litterally SHUT IT DOWN on millions of systems without violating their TOS.

Use Linux you twat. What to game? Buy a second gpu and just framebuffer a windows kvm into native Linux.

Attached: 1538899731497.png (276x297, 190K)

FUCKING MS HAS NO TASTE
COPYING LINUX SYSTEM UPGRADES
REEEEEE

You are delusional. A few beta testers can never catch everything. Shit like this can happen everywhere. And lets face it, these people acted like beta testers by downloading the patch before it came out.

>games
I don't give a shit about games. The only thing I like about linux is the shell, the rest is a big mess. Shit, the Jow Forums frontpage is always filled with complaints about linux and fights over how bad the other distros are, until there's some microsoft thing than you all act like nothing's wrong.
Shit has to get real bad before I downgrade to linux. There's a reason linux has ~1% of the computer userbase, and this one issue will not change that. 10 of these issues will not change that. Sorry, but that is, was and will remain the reality for the foreseeable future.

>You are delusional. A few beta testers can never catch everything. Shit like this can happen everywhere. And lets face it, these people acted like beta testers by downloading the patch before it came out.
What part of "Microsoft knew about this bug months before release" do you not understand?

Attached: h30yqdjmjh701.png (560x632, 137K)

It doesn't matter what OS you use. You should always back up sensitive files.

Not everyone has the resources or time for an offsite backup of large amounts of data. (1TB+).

>didn't exactly say what you didn't like about linux
The community ? Yeah it's elitist mostly because of it being a fraction of widely plentiful computer desktop systems.

Almost no one has 1TB of important data. No, your manga and hentai is not important.

thats not true, is it op? be honest now

>Shit like this can happen everywhere.
I highly doubt it. You are stating that a FOSS distro can beta test a feature to restrict user controls and violate the GPL without anyone noticing.

I call bullshit big time.

Attached: 1538899715164.gif (480x270, 3.15M)

My 20gb /each of 4k HDR episodes of Westworld need somewhere to be stored.

And windows isn't the solution.

Attached: 1538915338108.png (1190x364, 49K)

>Westworld
Into the trash it goes

Attached: usr deleted.png (781x494, 27K)

Yeah, see, it's a fucking TV show. That isn't important. It can be replaced. Family photos, music/art you made, etc. That's important stuff because once it's gone, it's gone for good.

Bumblebee is, was, and always will be shit.

What game is that screenshot from? I can't find it anymore, I know it's a vidya.

Season 1 was pretty great. Season 2 was meh normie shit.

I have many 4k HDR and SDR thicc copies of some of the greatest classics like Batman Returns, Batman v. Superman, and Suicide Squad.

Attached: 1538416361630.png (480x480, 433K)

Mass Effect: Andromeda.
Before the retard patch it was really called Mass Affect: Autism.

Attached: 1538535759347.jpg (595x595, 26K)

mass effect

>People who use Windows are fucking retarded.

Like mouth breathing retards that think there is never data loss with apple baby crap?

I had 30gb of all my animation Psds saved to my 1 TB Hard drive only for it to glitch and start masking this weird humming noise

>Woman
There's your problem. The end.

LOL no backups

Attached: 1526670658959.jpg (600x536, 71K)

Nice trips

Linux cucks literally seething.
Some people have a life and you are here mocking their lose, they at the very least had sonething to lose you hypocrites.

Wasn't part of this controversy that it removes data in a way that it can't even be recovered?
That's the reason this is news.

Thats just fucking retarded. Youd think soneone would be autistically specific when it came to their chosen career but i guess you cant fix stupid

>Some people have a life and you are here mocking their lose
mocking someone who loses their data because they didn't make backups is a bit like mocking someone who drives drunk and then wrecks their car. Tasteless? A bit. But did they deserve it by virtue of making bad decisions? Yep, 100%.

Thank

Attached: 1533111001995.jpg (740x737, 120K)

Does this affect only locally stored files, or those in Onedrive also?

They happened (Poettering accidentally EFIs), but unlike Microsoft/Windows you have absolute control under your software, in GNU/Linux you control software, thus you have a choice not updating a perfectly working system.
Windows is like Airbus, it does whatever it wants, while GNU/Linux is like Boeing, allows you to control everything.

>that’s the price of proprietary software

no, that's the price of no alternatives or competition

Cucked by Microsoft. Lel.

>Should have used Linux.
>rm -rf /home /var/....

>linking to reddit
>2001+17

Attached: 1373554994841.jpg (1000x1000, 203K)

why would anyone run that shit m8

Airbus upgrades deletes passengers. Beware.

Seems to delete anything that was in the User folder, including the Onedrive folder
Onedrive doesn't do versioning by default, so when it syncs everything on Onedrive gets deleted as well
Never heard of any *nix-like system that had /var/ under home, unless you did it yourself for some retarded reason

>Seems to delete anything that was in the User folder

lolwut? According to pic realted, this is pretty much where normies keep everything.
There are people are my work who couldn't function if they lost their desktop icons, never mind My Documents.

Attached: Untitled.png (144x262, 8K)

>beta tested

Attached: 1516542453188.webm (405x720, 2.82M)

Microsoft knew about this months before release and they released it anyway.

>in the year 18 + 2000
>still using winshit

Attached: 10890513_1400540290240348_1460235940_n.jpg (640x640, 27K)

What the hell are you on about? A patch of the OS can easily turn out to remove files by accident. Every piece of software that runs under your privileges can remove whatever you saved under those privileges, like those docs. You're either bullshitting, bluffing, or you have no clue what you're talking about.

Who the fuck keeps personal files on the C partition?

>2018
>Many new OSses arrived and gotten popular
>Linux still stuck at 1% as always
kek

>Not making regular backups
Come on son