Update your router firmware

I work for a TPIA that's support team doesn't use flowcharts. Our most common fix to issues that aren't our cable infrastructure owner's issue, is updating the firmware on customers routers.

Pic related DIR - 867 has a firmware related issue that causes it to drop WAN connections every 24 hours.

When's the last time you updated your router's firmware?

Attached: d-link-dir-867-4.jpg (830x467, 40K)

I have the latest OpenWRT

vendor firmware a shit and some of them don't bother releasing updated firmware at all.

It's fine if you know what you're doing to run custom firmware but oh gosh have I heard horror stories from people who don't know what they're doing, even with simple stuff like Merlin.

Today. Even tho it was released last week.

I have a fibre router from my ISP and there is no way FOR ME to update it. It has a proprietary firmware which can be updated only by ISP.

I still use an old router TP-Link TL-WR842ND v2 with DD-WRT v3.0-r34080 std (12/14/17)

Could you put it in bridge mode and hook up a secondary router?

D-Link doesn't post all the firmwares up front, you can go to their FTP though which is publicly accessible and get the most recent versions that way.

Attached: Screenshot_20181008-124257~01.png (1080x407, 112K)

What's the point of updating for security reasons. There is still going to always be another exploit.

>put it in bridge mode
No I can't even water cool it either

so instead of some exploit you just gonna expose yourself to ALL exploits?

He’s basically a tech nigger, once he has aids he figures better fuck mo bitches

Often times, firmware updates address performance issues too.

I once fixed a lan throughput issue this way, my home network is much nicer now.

Your security is on you to keep up to date.

Attached: received_10155589405467108.jpg (1080x1920, 132K)

Yeah. My philosophy is that ABSOLUTE BOTTOM LINE is that the only thing hacker's want to take from you is your money. I keep it simple. Drained bank accounts. They can break into my cable/internet account and what? pay the shit?. My email?. Go ahead and read my shit I don't care. They can't get my money because I'm careful about t hat.

Well after some time a pretty obscure exploit that is only used by few for targeted hacks is usualy made into a pretty nifty script that enables any scriptkiddie to act on your vulnerability or it might even be added to some malicious bots that scan the whole internet for these vulnerable routers.

So basically you're broke, and so lazy that you can't run a router firmware update.

Classic.

Some people say it works if you open a ticket at isp. What's the advantage of bridge mode over connecting a secondary router on one Lan port? 1 picosecond delay?

>So basically you're broke

My simple concept is literally too complicated for you to understand/grasp. And this my friends is exactly why hackers leave me the fuck alone.

Depends on the modem/router.
It's true that that'll work just fine for the most part, but depending on what you have you could end up with a bad NAT situation, wierd disconnects with certain applications and stuff.

At the end of the day, modems are best used as modems only, performance wise, they aren't designed to be primary devices.

For average-use-Joe, Streaming Netflix on one device, you're fine without bridge mode.

really any device that's described as having "firmware", as opposed to being described as just running an operating system, is shit. Ditto if you have to "flash" the device as opposed to just booting it from some kind of installation disk/drive.

no thanks CIA, i want to keep my caldo de pollo safe

yeah I live in the middle of nowhere have fun coming to my house to steal my internet or whatever you will probably get mauled by my dogs

I just tracked your WAN IP and exploited your router. I now have full access to devices on your home network.
Tell your dogs to get off the couch.