It seems operating systems, and software in general, is becoming less and less stable

It seems operating systems, and software in general, is becoming less and less stable.
Security breaches are becoming more frequent. It's rare to wake up and not see another news article about a big data breach.
Companies are spying on you more than ever using proprietary software.
When will it reach critical mass? What's the solution to this giant mess?
pic unrelated, but interesting.

Attached: 52a3bb30eab8ea8a2d3aff04-750.jpg (250x250, 15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cvedetails.com/vendor/97/Openbsd.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

install hardened gentoo

>It seems operating systems, and software in general, is becoming less and less stable.
no it's not you fucking retard go back in time and try using windows around the year 2000

not hard enough

LFS is what the op needs

windows 2000 came out in 1999, you're argument is invalid

Did Windows in the year 2000 randomly wipe users' documents?

no it just crashed all the time

I get that this is probably a joke, but I'm not asking for any kind of solution to a specific problem I have. It doesn't really matter what operating system you install, because you'll probably install a web browser too. Firefox and Chrome have the same, if not larger SLOC counts as the Linux kernel. Large attack surface.

Too easy. He need to make a kernel, userspace from zero.

>Security breaches are becoming more frequent. It's rare to wake up and not see another news article about a big data breach.
This has nothing to do with stability at all. The internet is how companies are born and destroyed, it plays a critical role in the world today. Obviously there's going to be more breaches since almost every country on this planet does has a presence on the internet.

>He need to make a kernel
Is seL4 not enough?

>When will it reach critical mass?
When every update breaks critical software and services. On Windows that's already happening. Windows is supposed to be the CISC of operating systems and it's struggling with backwards compatibility and deleting user files. I think that Linux is still 5-10 years out from that happening, and that BSDs like OpenBSD and NetBSD will never let that bullshit happen.
>What's the solution to this giant mess?
Simpler software and hardware. I'm not talking about "muh minimalism". I'm talking about going back to having operating systems that look and work like Windows NT 3.51 or MacOS 8.6. Systems that are carefully written in ASM and C that will include a very simple and straightforward UI. These systems could be run on basically every computer ever made. You can already buy 1GHz ARM boards with 1GB RAM for $40 that this software would absolutely fly on. People could do email, spreadsheets, text editing, build and browse retro websites, use instant messenger services, etc.

Simpler software and hardware usually means less features. What if videos or rich content like PDFs need to be viewed? I think the real crux of the issue is how we create, send, and use digital content. There's no denying that webpages are a horrible way of presenting information.

Other than nu-web bullshit, modern games, and 1080p video (i.e. using your machine as a toy) name one thing a 15 year old high end computer running Windows 2000 can't do. I'll wait.

Open, Net, and DragonFly BSDs are the solution. Open for security, Net for compatibility, DragonFly for new cutting edge.
They run in any shitbox and are extremely stable and tested.

setting up networking on old windows was a nightmare

I can't think of anything. That's pretty scary. How have things gotten so much slower, so much worse, and yet the capabilities are only a few steps forward?

I've seen OpenBSD named for its security many times, but I remember viewing a talk about related CVEs in the networking stack, which Linux didn't have. Might be misremembering. Are there any recent audits of the OpenBSD code?

>How have things gotten so much slower, so much worse, and yet the capabilities are only a few steps forward?
the capabilities have moved foward, they're just not things that are very noticable to the end user

Service desk operator here. I can confirm that as time has gone on with WIN 10, more and more bizarre shit happens at the enterprise level.
Also more meddling by bored souls at intel agencies too, but that's another matter...

I'm sure there's some behind-the-scenes improvements. The networking stack can probably handle more throughput now. But really, there's not much that couldn't just be strapped onto W2000.

all an operating system does is facilitate communicate between the software and the hardware, we could be running all our problems on MS DOS for all that matters, it's not meaningful to discuss the improvement of computing by comparing operating systems, compare hardware or software instead

>using your machine as a toy
This is the thing isnt it? When there is so much money to be made from kids and adults who refuse to grow up mentally shitty toys are always going to break or want replacing through planed obsolescence.

cvedetails.com/vendor/97/Openbsd.html
Wow. Zero RCEs and zero overflows so far this year. I think I know what I'll be using as a server operating system from now on.

But it's still fairly usable if you're masochistic enough to put some time and energy into it. And that's not even taking into account the theoretical systems that could be developed for use modern hardware. All that stuff and more could easily be fixed while keeping the system lightweight, simple, and usable.

Most the systems development that happens now is just maintaining legacy code and adding additional drivers for new hardware. The only drastic changes have happened in the UIs, and they just keep getting uglier and more bloated as time goes on. Bight colors, stupid shapes, duplicate functionality, a million buttons everywhere.

The problem is that sometime in the 90s there was this weird convergence between gaming consoles and workstations. This is where it all went downhill. Sure there were DOS games since forever ago, but then people started to build and buy computers specifically for games, and various companies began to put out products targeting this market. At least around this time most software was still officially marketed towards professionals and businesses who had higher standards. But Windows 10 is marketed towards manchildren. It's fucking worthless for doing real work with all the popups, blue screens, forced updates, and built in spyware.

>Windows 10 is marketed towards manchildren
it's not marketed towards anyone
they have a monopoly over PC operating systems
you just have to tolerate their shit if you use a PC

You can always install Linux, BSD, or macOS.

>The problem is that sometime in the 90s there was this weird convergence between gaming consoles and workstations. This is where it all went downhill. Sure there were DOS games since forever ago, but then people started to build and buy computers specifically for games, and various companies began to put out products targeting this market. At least around this time most software was still officially marketed towards professionals and businesses who had higher standards. But Windows 10 is marketed towards manchildren. It's fucking worthless for doing real work with all the popups, blue screens, forced updates, and built in spyware.

Yep. I am old enough to remember these days.
I always view my machines as tools, not toys. Most if not just about all of my friends and peers do the opposite.
Thus, all this is easily perpetuated.

>
>Other than nu-web bullshit, modern games, and 1080p video (i.e. using your machine as a toy) name one thing a 15 year old high end computer running Windows 2000 can't do. I'll wait.

Deploy Windows 2000 over a network to 50 PCs with or without extra software, using MDT, not worrying about drivers, knowing you can deploy more software with that image at any point and customise the install if needed.

I'll wait..... Cos that's what I'll be fucking doing. Waiting.

lol, good one

If you're having pop ups and blue screens in Win 10 I feel bad for you son. Insert text here, I don't mind Win 10. It's a bloated piece of shit, but it's stable .... I think.

I've never had it crash on me, but it does fuck me over a lot thinking about it =\

Fuck sake. I hate windows 10

I have WIN 10 LTSB (2016) at home, just in case I need a WIN 10 machine but my main PCs at home are all Linux.
Unfortunately I work where I have to support WIN10 every day. At least I will never be out of a job.

>he fell for the lgbt meme

Are you kidding? The LTSB WIN 10 is very good.
I dont need the bloat aimed at kids

Features aren't bloat. Have fun with your toy kiosk OS.

Candy crush saga is a feature
Cortana is a feature
Advertisements are a feature.
>begone, fool

>OS'es less stable
>wasn't alive obviously for Windows ME
>confirmed underage get b& and v&

>there's no denying that webpages are a horrible way of presenting information.
Are you talking about pages themselves or the ways in which people have chosen to use them to represent information? Because there's kind of a big difference there from a technical perspective.

Attached: 1520284145060.jpg (604x404, 38K)

>You can always install Linux, BSD
>"something doesn't work? - fix it yourself/its not important"

>something doesn't work? you can fix it yourself
versus
>something doesn't work? spend hours on call with a representative that doesn't give a shit about your issue and then wait weeks for the developer to do something about it. oh what's that, they're not going to fix it? well I guess you're fucked then.

The problem is just there is windows 10 is a complete operating system as a package.
Linux is just a kernel and a DIY hotglued mess.
>something doesn't work? you can fix it yourself
Might just rewrite myself, then do it for every software i need.
And make my own os while at that...
I'm not a fucking medieval peasant or amish to produce everything for myself.

>more than ever using proprietary software.

you should be more worried about the proprietary hardware

>becoming less and less stable.
My fruend, have you ever heard of windows fucking vista

Kill pajeet.

no it didn't, Windows 2000 was completely stable

Windows MILLENNIUM EDITION was the worst crasher ever and it came out at the same time as Windows 2000 and it even had identical looking desktop. However the core of the OS was different and they were marketed to different audiences.

Attached: download (15).png (259x194, 6K)

anybody saying windows is an option in this thread is a fucking idiot

does OpenBSD have a RISC-V port yet?

This is a very specific picture, OP ;)

Some retard on a very specific forum uses it.

We will eventually have an ID card linked to our IP at some point

Consumers stopping to bend over and take the giant botnet dick in their asses but that would mean actually changing their habits and way of life so don't count on it

OpenBSD

it won't because no one except for a bunch of uggo "security researchers" and bureaucrats cares.
fuck off back to your safespace security nerd

Windows 10 is pretty secure. iOS is pretty secure. The bugs are harder to find. The security software is better and better so you can find hacks faster. Consumers never get much, but iot is their biggest worry. Stop fud.

>Windows 10 is pretty secure
>iOS is pretty secure

Attached: IMG_20180929_104440_749.jpg (570x856, 66K)

NSA defector Snowden who now lives in Russia pretty much documented the fact that all of our telecommunications is being recorded all the time by everyone. Paying or coercing software companies to include code for these groups is commonplace.

My crap Inspiron running XP is still going strong. I don't play games on it but Adobe CS3 works well on it, I can watch my MP4's and DVDs, and Office 2007(?) is there when needed. It simply just works for what I need it for.

This.

Facts.

>I'm too retarded to spend 10 minutes googling a problem with an easy fix so I pay out the ass to have pajeets spoon feed me
Fucking boomers. You might well just become applefags at this point.