Why aren't you using Windows Server 2012 R2 as your desktop OS, Jow Forums?

>won't randomly delete your files during a forced update
>won't force an update at all
>server tier performance
>no bloatware
>no botnet (no cortana)
>supports up to 4 TB of internal memory
>up to 64 10-core processors = 640 cores
>desktop is default interface
>boots way faster than any other windows
>stability that makes Linux users question their faith
>gaming ability exactly the same as other Windows distros
>can add IIS and have a decent web server with a couple of mouse clicks
>can add Active Directory or convert to a DNS or DHCP server for fun

Attached: windowsserver2012.jpg (1627x1945, 196K)

Other urls found in this thread:

microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-2012-r2
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/apply-images-using-dism
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/boot-to-vhd--native-boot--add-a-virtual-hard-disk-to-the-boot-menu
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

doesn't support 32bit windows programs

Because Windows 8 is a tablet os. Server 2008 R2 is the last usable version.

>"Server"
>default is desktop interface
This shit will never make sense to me.

Because Windows 8.1 Industrial Embedded exists. 8.1 is alright when you get rid of the tablet shit.

boomer

Because I'm using Server 2016.

Not sure what you mean by this, but Server 2012 R2 supports everything supported by 8.1.

Yes but how do I pirate it

wow Micro$hit must be paying you real big to humiliate yourself like this

microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-2012-r2

Evaluation ISO. Reinstall every 180 days (them fresh install feels) or just use KMSAuto to bypass activation

Because I'm using Server 2019.

Don't you have to enable a bunch of things in the registry and in the devices, plus download a bunch of programs too to make usable as a workstation?

I remember it was a pain to get Server 2008 R2 to run games.

Because I'm using R1. Damned Intlel and their fucking network drivers that they key to specific Windows versions.

Um... wot? Though...

This isn't exactly true - there are certain APIs in Windows 8.1 that simply don't exist in 2012 R2 (as touched on by ), so programs using them won't work. Then there's the programs that specifically check, and drop dead, if they see they're on a server SKU. Having said that, it's an extreme minority of programs (I'd hazard a guess at under 2%).

>default
Yet this stupid faggot would be the first to tell you to "change your wm" or whatever the fuck if it were a Linux. Protip you basement-dwelling loser: the vast majority of Windows Server installs are Core or minimal GUI infra.

How's that going for you? I have the ISO, but haven't had the time to spin it up. From the outside, it looks like it isn't much of an upgrade from 2016, and I've heard some people in the know refer to it as "2016 R2".

I cannot install it for some unknown reason when I try I get famous missing media driver error and the funny part is when I click browse it can sea both the media I boot from and all of my hard drives so it is not even the HDD/USB driver trouble to my understanding. I was trying it exactly the other day as I remembered I was using Win2003 during the XP era and been happy about it.
I have Ryzen 7-1700 on TUF B350M-PLUS GAMING mobo for the record. Do you have any idea how do I fix this?
I even tried installing easyBCD and native boot from ISO but still no luck, installer says missing driver though it can detect HDDs w/o problem. I tried giving it some of chipset drivers but no luck.

>Workstation
>Games
gtfo

Have you tried directly applying Windows with DISM, and building your own BCD to start it up? It's a great way of getting around Windows Setup being bitchy. I've seen, precisely once, your predicament, and it got me through. Another option is to native VHD(X) boot it.

>Have you tried directly applying Windows with DISM, and building your own BCD to start it up? It's a great way of getting around Windows Setup being bitchy. I've seen, precisely once, your predicament, and it got me through
I am not very familiar with that kind of deployment options tbqh, may you give me some good article explaining this?

>Another option is to native VHD(X) boot it.
You mean install it on a VM and then native boot from the virtual disk?
I recall doing that once with Win8.1 and got invalid digital signature for \windows\system32\ntload.exe but perhaps I should try this option.

By the way I am just interesting which driver does the installer lack? Is there a way to get this info

Windows XP is objectively superior

Attached: requirements.png (719x244, 22K)

Hey thanks dude. You have the iso for the 2019 one? Would like to see where I could get that too, if not that's fine

Pretty much everything runs, the exceptions are programs that check the OS version to prohibit their use on servers. That can be overcome using the compatibility settings or the Windows toolkit. But it's not as though they are missing some component necessary for them to execute properly due to it being a server OS. 9 times out of 10, it's just because the software has a special "server edition" that the makers want to charge more for.

I've been using Windows Server OSs for my desktop since 2008. Everything from 2012 onward simply requires you to enable a few features, and then it runs like a desktop OS.

this is true
wish there was more 3rd party support

docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/apply-images-using-dism

It's a very high-level overview, targeted more towards manufacturers than home users. But the precepts are the same whether you're a manufacturer, corporate IT rolling out a SOE, or an user on Jow Forums. The magic sauce are DISM, BCDBOOT and BCDEDIT - gets you up and running every time.

As for your second question, no, you don't need to install it in a VM - native boot can be done without any hypervisor at all. DISKPART
(the NT spiritual successor to fdisk) can create, partition and format VHD(X) files, and then you can point Windows Setup, or the abovementioned tools, at the virtual disk and install in the usual way - they don't really care that they're being pointed at a VHD(X) and not a real hard disk. Another high-level overview here: docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/boot-to-vhd--native-boot--add-a-virtual-hard-disk-to-the-boot-menu

The likely reason you got the invalid disk signature message was that MS has been changing BOOTMGR a lot since Windows 8, and it has internal consistency checks that get tighter and tighter each release. Always ensure that you're using the latest version to avoid disappointments such as this.

Why would I do that when I can just use GNU/Linux?

It's stupid.

Why not use 8.1 at that point? For some people it might take longer to tweak a fucking server version than a desktop one. It takes a few seconds to uninstall all of the "app" shit on Windows 8.1.