/spg/ - Smartphone General

Google Pixel 3 Edition Vol. 2

Watch launch event live starting at 11AM EDT: youtu.be/EsoQGTA1SxY

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com
kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: Pixel-3-XL-hands-on-58-1340x754.jpg (1340x754, 96K)

Other urls found in this thread:

theverge.com/platform/amp/2018/10/9/17954676/verizon-google-pixel-3-price-800-usd
youtube.com/watch?v=AUaJ8pDlxi8
stallman.org/apple.html
youtube.com/watch?v=o2_SZ4tfLns
arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/02/lg-extends-warranty-to-30-months-for-those-affected-by-bootloop-issue/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

theverge.com/platform/amp/2018/10/9/17954676/verizon-google-pixel-3-price-800-usd
DOA

Which one will you buy?

Attached: DpBapHNWsAAeU0U.jpg (833x1200, 86K)

>DOA
As always. Pixel devices were really only viable in the US from the very beginning.

do you guys use spotify

its only on one carrier in the us

its not viable anywhere. The only people that buy pixels are fanboys and the people with severe autism that cant hand their version of android not being bleeding edge.

yes

>its only on one carrier in the us
Jesus... How is this even legal? Also, what about carriers permanently locking bootloaders?

Just the 3. Miss me with that notch business

There's nothing stopping you buying it unlocked and using it on another carrier

why does it want to access my contacts and make calls

I'm gonna be the first human being to buy a Google Pixel 3 XL.

because you can take any phone to any carrier i haven't heard of a phone with a locked baseband since the iphone 4.

so long as you don't have a lien on your phone because you leased it like a retard you can plug and play, but most people lease their phones

unless you're a retard that thought a $50 smartphone was a steal and bought a prepaid phone that only has the frequency band for Boost Mobile

it needs the phone permission because it needs the ability to tell if you're getting a call to turn the volume down

it needs the contact permission to tell who you are and what people you know irl so it can make a suggestion profile and gather demographic data because that is the entire purpose of spotify as a service

why are they seemingly the same permission? i wonder what ulterior motive there could be for a company like google to obfuscate the collection of personal information as much as possible

If I buy a Redmi Note 5 now, will its OS stay up to date for, say, 1.5 year from now?

Just deny it the permissions, it'll still work. Storage access is needed for downloading to the MicroSD card.

Attached: Screenshot_20181009-145242.png (717x559, 35K)

Since it already has stable Android P custom ROMs, you shouldn't worry.

The one under 500 bucks with panda color, no notch, at least 4000mAh battery and over 6".
So I guess Google can go fuck themselves with this overpriced shit

>$800
wew, that's more expensive than note 9

>custom roms

the state of androidfags everyone.

>no custom roms
the state of itoddlers everyone

Well? Should everyone "trust" OEMs to do whatever they please with updates and provide as much of them as they arbitrarily decide? All OEM firmwares are also proprietary and that's another negative. But surely you know all this.

Wasn't Note 9 launch price $999 for the base model?

Knew*

Why do Americans lease phones? It seems like such a stupid thing.

I'm considering trading in my Pixel 2 for the 3 as well. Once you use Pixels it's hard to go back to other brands because their customized Android is slow and bloated.

>not getting the latest official os version from the manufacturer 5 years later

>Pixels it's hard to go back to other brands because their customized Android is slow and bloated.

Do people still believe this? It's not 2013 anymore. Every flagship is smooth out the box

dunno, but current price locally is under $800

lads, looking to get an iphone 8 64gb in the uk. how do i get it for the cheapest price? don't need data, just the unlocked phone.

well, yes. Apple release regular security updates to all of their devices and if something actually goes wrong then they fix it either via software or via actual replacement. If you really want an open source phone you shouldn't even really be looking at a smartphone because most if not all of them have proprietary firmware blobs for the hardware,

Just bought the S9 for $500. Is the phone any good ?

brand new? look at a site like HUDK and see if anyone has found anything,
Second hand? Facebook, ebay and gumtree. you'll find the odd person who has upgraded/doesn't want the phone anymore.

>Apple release regular security updates to all of their devices and if something actually goes wrong then they fix it either via software or via actual replacement
This is wrong on too many accounts.
youtube.com/watch?v=AUaJ8pDlxi8
stallman.org/apple.html
This is just the beginning. And about Apple fixing or repairing things:
youtube.com/watch?v=o2_SZ4tfLns

>buying a flagship phone and then asking this
>posting the same question in both threads
>not saying where you got the phone for so cheap
What's your fucking problem dude

my own personal experience trumps this. had the unexpected shutdown issue, got a brand new phone from the apple store free of charge. the lightning cable I got was shoddy too, they replaced it free of charge.

carrier bullshit, remember that we finance R&D by beung forced to purchase flagships from the main OEMs which is why we don't have decent midrange choices and is complete bullshit

Say I buy an Android One that just came out.
Will it have the latest Android OS 2 years from now? Like will it have Android 12 or something?

is this humble-bragging?
you wouldn't buy the phone if it's shit.

I'm going to guess he bought it used on Swappa

>my own personal experience trumps this
Who exactly are you trying to fool with this, especially while not even attempting to prove your scenario?

Hard to tell. Two years of updates are promised, but that doesn't mean much.

The "2 years of OS updates" is a little bit vague, but you're supposed to get whatever is the latest Android version 2 exact years after the phone is officialy released and an additional year of monthly security patches.

I bet some sketchy OEMs like Xiaomi will try to squirrel out of it by releasing a phone on an outdated OS version and counting the upgrade to current version as "one year of OS updates".

>LGv20 h990DS
>still no oreo update

Make the suffering end!

>Make the suffering end!
It will only just start when your device bootloops randomly.

do you guys leave location on?

XZ2 compact user here. Digging it, hating the IPS screen tho despite being one of the better displays. IPS glow just drives me nuts.
I don't need a SD945 so I'm willing to downgrade in favor of a nice AMOLED screen.
500 bucks max.
>no mi8 edition

give me the quick rundown on buying iphones from ebay

Why, do you believe you have control over the device? That if you press that little switch on the screen it will actually disable the hardware?

They're most likely stolen (so, potentially locked), or have some defect or malfunction that Apple tried to charge the previous user more than the phone's worth in order to "repair" it.

instead of just replacing the battery they just gave me a new device, they just needed to authorise the work being done

Attached: Untitled.png (768x619, 25K)

Why have Sony smartphones become so unpopular? They were the first company to offer water resistance, aux ports and high resolution cameras, but no one cares about them nowadays

new idea
buy cheap cases from china and sell them online as "anti gps cases" 0 effort put into them
I just bought my pixel XL from there for 160. I couldn't be happier, go with a reputable seller.

bootloop is included in the warranty right?

ugly blocky phones

It's too late now.
arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/02/lg-extends-warranty-to-30-months-for-those-affected-by-bootloop-issue/

is that a yes or no

Their cameras take awful pics that look worse than phones half the price with half the megapixels.

is the iphone 8 64gb for £599 a good choice?

Anyway to take photos and protect my phone from the cold?

I went hiking last year in Japan but my phone would shut off from the cold, I'd have to hold it in my jacket with a can of hot tea

The battery would dry as it got colder until it turns off, warming it with tea "charged" it up.
Same thing was happening to relative's iPhone

Attached: 1536516506968.jpg (1800x1900, 332K)

I'm wondering the same, but i'm afraid that all the future apps will be designed to fit the notch

unironically, there's a chink case that can block gps signal.

Put your phone in a pocket against your body, and take it out only if necessary (taking pics etc). Also, a powerbank could be useful, it's light and small

I'd look for discounts, it's 599 from apple

Google products and services are shit.

Are there any options to browse Jow Forums on iPhone? TheChan is not on the app store, Tetra is total shit, Merlin is shitty too. I miss Clover

In italy it's 719€, more or less 820usd

Yes, I've seen that fucking page weeks ago already, nowhere does it describe a device specific workaround, only some vague ass instructions on a convoluted way of flashing twrp.

the blocky design is best, too bad they're dropping it.

if it's cheaper to buy it in pounds then in euros then buy it in pounds for sure

A lot of online stores do this, luckily

I was reading a PDF on my Nexus 5X and had the piece of shit boot loop. At the same time my cat suddenly died. I now cannot get the photos of her off my phone. Thank you LG and Project Fi!

You brought it up on yourself by not making regular backups. Google Photos even gives you free unlimited storage for photos.

did you not have it backed up? Linked to google photos?

Am I retarded for not hating the notch? I'm trying to make myself hate it but I really don't mind it.

Either way I'm buying a Pixel 2XL or 3XL today. I've still got my Nexus 6P and I want to upgrade. Depends on how well the event goes. The wireless charging thing sounds pretty nice, but if the stand is extra then I'm out

Should I get the Galaxy S8+ or the S9+? There's about 300 EUR price difference, but I kinda feel like owning the newest version
I mostly care about good quality pictures and the curved display

the stand is always extra
no smartphone manufacturer includes a wireless charger for free

give it a day or two and buy a pixel 2 XL gently used if price is at all a factor

this

>74 replies
>ctrl+f
>poco
>no results
wtf

Attached: MjKDWuD.png (1260x1181, 466K)

Buying phones off o ebay y/n?
Seller has 100% positive feedback and they're even registered as a certified seller or some shit

I did it. Good experience really

Just don't expect any warranty

>ctrl+f
>poco
>2 results

I saw a good deal and bought it, mahne. No idea about the phone

Amazon India and Flipkart(Walmart) are having a big billion sale brother. Mad cheap items, some upto 60% off

I understand that, I should have phrased it differently. What I meant was that I'm pretty much not getting a 3XL unless they throw in the stand, which as you say is pretty unlikely

have you tried using the, um, WEB BROWSER?

stop larping poojeet,enjoy yr stretched out display that's only good fr yr browser

dony buy into notch cancer,give your money too sony,xz2 premium is your friend

S9 still lags compared to a year older Pixel 2.

If you're going to shill then you should probably try doing some proofreading first

Attached: 1527217760731.gif (379x387, 71K)

suck a dick nigger i aint no shill

According to leaks, the Pixel Stand will be a pre-order gift, at least through Verizon and Freedom Mobile.

that famous tech nigga reported that his pixel 2 xl started to lagg so he bought new 2 xl and it lagged as well so he had to move to op6. i honestly believe we have reached the time when phones are powerful enough to last for years so they get slow down "upgrades" in order to force people to buy new ones

>sony
i would because i like the company, but i want my smartphone to be able to take good photos, something sony phones don't offer

The lagging on my pixel 2 stopped when i updated to Android 9

Galaxy S8 still worth it or nah?

Nah

Is there a Pixel 3 presentation thread? It starts soon.

Here