Hackintosh

Hi, Jow Forums, I have never used Mac OS X, and I'm curious about it.

I have a Thinkpad T420, and I have seen people building Hackintoshes with this laptop.

I was wondering if any of you has tried this? Can I run the last Mac OS X Mojave version? If that's not possible, what are the last versions I could run on this machine?

Attached: lenovo_apple.png (500x373, 192K)

I'd like to have an answer to the same question but I have a Lenovo Ideapad 310.

It was a great idea about five years ago, but today, I wouldn't bother with hackintosh. As I assume that Apple's new repair policy will mean that activating macOS in the future will be impossible running on non-Apple hardware.

So what ever you get working now, won't have any future and eventually you just need to either buy an Apple product or just run older OS. So what is the point outside of novelty?

MacOS is certainly nice but it is not worth the hassle. It's not THAT nice.

t. ex-hackintosh user.

Try before buying

>ideapad
>lelnovoshit
kys retarded consumerism faggot

If you are willing to go through the hassle that is setting up hackingtosh then sure, trying is probably a good reason. But instead you could buy a used macbook or mini for a reasonable price (I don't know how much people ask for used macs) to try it out without the hassle and everything should work properly.

I don't know if you can run macOS on virtual machine and if that would be less of a hassle to set up, but that would probably be even better way to try it out though.

Hello user

I spent 2 weeks trying to get OSX working (multiple versions) on a t530. It can be done, but it is a monumental effort if you do not understand how to get kexts working and other driver issues in OSX - it requires a working knowledge of the OS and how to macguiver your way around problems.

Wether or not you SHOULD do this, is another problem. OSX is nice, modern, slick whatever, it's easy to use, but it will run like shit on your laptop and will never function as you want it to. There are several fixes you need to do - one of the most annoying is installing a 3rd party wifi chip to get wifi working, this also means flashing your bios, and no libreboot is not going to work as intended lol

It's just a ballache, but a really fun and interesting hobby if you can get through the learning curve.

Attached: 39568596_2109851695701798_5852124735889997824_o.jpg (1080x1069, 89K)

MacOS is basically a highly polished linux distro with more compatibility with stuff like Microsoft word. I like it. It's pretty comfy.

Computer has to have Apple T2 chip for that to work.
Search for already configured clover efis that have same processor as you.
If you don't want to be a noob and do it yourself look up vanilla hackintosh.
Quick rundown:
>Run macOS VM to make bootable install usb or find ready image on the internet
>Get essential kexts
>Configure clover efi until you boot into installation, install
>Boot into macos, check what's not working
>Look into what's the cause of it on the internet, if it can be done with clover do it with clover if not boot into windows or wtv to dump your DSDT
>Patch your dumped DSDT for things that did not work
>Generate CPU SSDT
>Tweak Clover configuration for a finale

>Search for already configured clover efis that have same processor as you.
what i really intended to say: same model and same processor

iirc, you need a real macintosh to install the os "legally". you could pirate the os, but imho that's just asking for malware.

It honestly left me with a sub par experience on my x220, Id go on tonymac and look up one of their guides but the thinkpads of the xx20 era arnt that great for it desu

I actually had an apple sticker on my x220 in uni. Triggered macfags and thinkchads alike, it was great pulling it out in a classroom and turning heads.

Attached: 1509786872098.png (400x1650, 367K)

I have High Sierra working on an X230. APFS is also working fine an SSD for me. I've heard others have had issues with it but I haven't.

>Can I run the last Mac OS X Mojave version?
Maybe. I'd still hold off and go with High Sierra and wait for Mojave to mature a little. I've heard it has font issues and other problems. I've also read rumors that Apple has dropped SandyBridge support. I have no idea whether that's true or not.
>If that's not possible, what are the last versions I could run on this machine?
It'll work with High Sierra at the very least.

>As I assume that Apple's new repair policy will mean that activating macOS in the future will be impossible running on non-Apple hardware.
The bricking that happens to iCucks when they use third party parts is dependent on Apple's own hardware. I think I remember reading that they even used a fan controller at one point as a way to differentiate hardware to stop people from installing updates on a specific MacBook model they dropped support for. As long as you aren't using Apple hardware and they keep using x86 with support for the iGPUs, there will always be hackintosh compatible hardware.

>I spent 2 weeks trying to get OSX working (multiple versions) on a t530
I spent a couple hours. Did you read the guides?
>it requires a working knowledge of the OS
Only very basic knowledge. If you've ever used Linux or BSD extensively you'll get it right away.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-10-09 at 5.06.21 PM.png (1366x768, 972K)

Nice blog post cocksmoker.

Attached: 1536742137755.jpg (996x954, 319K)

If you don't like this thread or the posts in it, be a big boy and close the tab.

>As long as you aren't using Apple hardware and they keep using x86 with support for the iGPUs, there will always be hackintosh compatible hardware.
But if it is built in to the OS level, you'd have to potentially rewrite critical parts of the OS to make it functional, defeating the purpose of having an OS that is supposedly "just work" instead of configuration and compromise, then it's easier and much more effective to just do *nix system.

Okay, pretent that a part of the kernel checks for certain hardware at boot, such as an embedded Apple ARM coprocessor as seen in recent Macs. All you'd have to do is strip out that problematic code and it would work. It's not even worth Apple's time to do it.

>All you'd have to do is strip out that problematic code and it would work.
As if Apple isn't known for going the extra mile just to retain their walled garden. But there is a possibility that this will be the case, I still don't see the point of going to these lengths just for novelty purposes, and It's hard to imagine anyone would do this for a work machine. So what we have here is an exotic edge case, and those have always existed, people run DOS on Android phones just to see if it does, but it's hard to recommend to anyone to run DOS on android.

If you don't like technology and have to use a toddler toyOS, you can be a big boy and go back to Jow Forumseddit where you belong.

They already built a whole new bootloader in the form of their own EFI for their Macs. The hackintosh community built Clover in response. Unless they move to their own ARM hardware they won't be able to kill off hackintoshing.

>So what we have here is an exotic edge case
How so? Hackintoshing works fine if you have the right hardware and macOS can be used as a desktop OS. It runs all of the software I need to get my work done.

>people run DOS on Android phones
The difference is that they're using it in an emulator. I'm using macOS on the bare metal. There's also nothing wrong with using cheap ARM hardware for emulation. I have a Raspberry Pi 3 set up with some emulators to run Windows NT 3.51, MacOS 7, and AmigaOS 3.9.

I run a Hackintosh on a T420. Don't go past Sierra 10.12.6. The HD3000 GPU has issues on High Sierra and is completely impossible to run Mojave without patching. On High Sierra videos and even stuff like Firefox will have black lines and tearing on it. In Sierra this doesn't exist.

Attached: 1531519191048.jpg (1012x1279, 232K)

>macshit
Found your problem.

I use Gentoo, MacOS and Windows 8.1 for specific purposes. Only rejects force an OS where it isn't appropriate.

>Only rejects force an OS where it isn't appropriate.
This. High Sierra, Windows 7, and Debian reporting in.

>I run a Hackintosh on a T420.
>Only rejects force an OS where it isn't appropriate.

Attached: 1515768888453.jpg (1616x1639, 735K)

MACTODDLERS BTFO

As I mentioned in my response here the future is very much the main reason I really can't recommend hackintosh, and switch to ARM seems to be the obvious move for Apple, at least in mobile (laptops, obviously their mobile ecosystem is already ARM), what that means for desktops and will it support x86, probably, but it won't get easier to circumvent the barriers.

>Hackintoshing works fine if you have the right hardware
There is a shop where you can get "the right hardware" it's also the shop where you can get the genuine experience, barring edge cases this is how it usually works. It's called Apple Store.

Look, I get the hobbyist perspective, I have run hackingtosh myself and actually my work machine was a hackingtosh for a while because of couple of apps. So I'm not against it, and I'd prefer if Apple didn't try to wall their garden so heavily. But they cater to a different market, and they don't care and even enjoy the hands on Apple experience, I own a Mercedes and the dealer service is perfect for a guy who doesn't understand anything about cars, and that's how Apple runs their service too. Doesn't mean I couldn't replace my MB engine with a Toyota one, but then I'm on my own, and I really don't care if they make it hard for me to install a Toyota motor on my car since it's not what I'm seeking in a car.

So in the end, if you are a hobbyist, yeah, do hackingtosh, if that becomes impossible, I'm sure you'll just find another hobby.