/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Jow Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Attached: eguchi_hisashi headphones.jpg (1423x1416, 348K)

Other urls found in this thread:

i.4cdn.org/wsg/1539057483586.webm
massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-o2-sdac-dac-amp?mode=guest_open
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-wesiontek-khadas-tone-board-dac.4823/
aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20181009210329&SearchText=Takstar Pro 82
amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR777-THX-Certified-Channel-Receiver/dp/B0725Q6JZH/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1539156009&sr=1-4&keywords=onkyo receiver
github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results/headphonecom/sbaf-serious/AKG K550
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Sennheiser is shit

cute drawing of me

>Hey user, want some headphones?

Attached: 1539015605661[1].jpg (1920x1206, 1.38M)

>grandpa dies
>he knew you liked audio honey, so he wanted you to have these
>rush home and open the box
>it's DT770
Grandpa!

Ur right, buy stax instead

S T A X
T
A
X

>Faces of cuckoldry

Don't be too upset, it's the thought that counts.

No more anime OP!

go back to superbaf faggot

considering buying one of those from bose.
Selected them because the are a improvement to my current in ear noise dampening headphones
Which would you recomend?

how easy is it to lose one of those ear headphones?

Attached: tttt.png (1134x544, 284K)

-blocks your path-

Attached: IMG_3950.jpg (2965x3932, 1.62M)

How's the isolation on the ether c?
I need some privacy in my listening

>Budget
$400-600
>Location
USA
>Source
Audioengine D1
>Type of headphone
Over ear
>Open or closed
Doesn't really matter
>Comfort level
VERY comfy. I wear my headphones at least 8 hours a day, usually for 4+ hours straight.
>Sound signature
Preferably neutral but I haven't tried many different signatures. Maybe a very slight bit of oomph to the bass to listen to Post-punk and Jazz.
>uses
Listening to and making music, playing competitive fps games. I listen to lots of Punk, Post-punk, Indie Rock, and Shoegaze, with bits of IDM, Jazz, Hip-hop, and Folk mixed in.
>Past headphones
ATH MSR7, ATH m50x, Sony MDR V6

I was a bit disappointed in my upgrade from the m50xs to the MSR7s. More comfy, yes, but sound quality I felt like only improved ~10-20%. Looking for something that'll wow me.
Also I live near the Koss factory store and can get a discounted pair of their electrostatics for $800. Out of my price range, yes, but if I saved up a bit extra or use some of my Christmas money, I could get them. I don't know if that would be a wise decision though.

HD6XX? It’s not that kind of headphone that blows your socks off immediately, but it’s very comfy and its sound sig is very easy to listen to all day. Not the bassiest thing ever, but it has a nice little midbass hump.

Also, you can get the Koss Estat set for even cheaper from Massdrop, 500 dollarydoos. Just don’t expect to get your wish for bass oomph from them, their strengths are in completely different things.

DT1990

I second this.

Buy TOPPING

Attached: 6D87928E-7488-4400-A9BB-2189D2AAC9BD.jpg (1000x1000, 61K)

i.4cdn.org/wsg/1539057483586.webm

>The HD6XX just isn't for me, I prefer the HD58X.

Attached: 1517982968892.jpg (633x711, 23K)

Only problem with DX7s is 10 ohm output impedance. I bought D10 DAC though, hopefully here soon.

isn't it 20 ohm for the balanced out?

I believe so, or is it 30 ohm?

HD 58X

>nigger likes them
that means they have niggerbass, no thanks

dms and zeos like them as well. I know zeos loves his niggerbass and dms seems like he downplays how much bass some headphones have.

Has anyone bitten the bullet on the Monoprice Liquid Spark yet?
is it really the magni 3 killer?

Attached: 333041.jpg (1200x900, 98K)

I'm not a cheapskate so I won't look at anything below Lake G103.

go back to eddit where you can talk about how amps have different sound signatures

>is it really the magni 3 killer?
wtf are you talking about degenerate? there is literally do difference between 90% of amps on the market

what amp/dac combo should i get fot my hd6xx? 150$ budget yo

see
and then save a bit more for either a sdac or topping d10

No, what I do is a successful strategy given that I was an early stax adopter by this board's standard. I buy parts designed and made by people in the developed world. Obviously, this excludes Schiit products and lower.

>he thinks germany is still part of the developed world
LMAO

I really want to ditch the 558's for 580's or 58x's.

Attached: Audio G.jpg (1617x723, 698K)

massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-o2-sdac-dac-amp?mode=guest_open

meant for

Brainwavz HM5 for 80 bucks on the official website with the cupom "HM5-OCT-DEALHM5-OCT-DEAL"

Attached: HM5_7_2000x.jpg (2000x2000, 262K)

How does the low end on the Focal Elex compare to the Focal Clears?

I swear this is my last purchase for the rest of the year... I need to stop reading these threads because all they do is inspire me to spend money.

Attached: 2018-NEW-TOPPING-D10-MINI-USB-DAC-CSS-XMOS-XU208-ES9018K2M-OPA2134-audio-amplifier-Decoder[1].jpg (1000x1000, 90K)

I have hd600, shp9500s, pro 82 and tin audio t2. What else do I need? I have $300

is the elex a good "hi-fi" entry point or no?

amp+dac

HD6XX

I have a 6XX, that's not what I was asking. I meant is it a good step up from the Sennheisers or no.

Find a used he500. Remove the rear grills and make jerg pads out of the stock ones don't forget to elevate the back sides of the pads as shown in the jergpad thread.
I prefer them to the hd650 and hd660s but all three are very good. HE500 is just very good for the used price

I feel you, I need to close this tab. Waiting on my D10 too, should be here hopefully by the end of this week.

You need to keep saving in order to purchase STAX. I'm finding it hard to find a dynamic that is a noticeable upgrade from the SHP9500S.

this
$300 is an L300. sell that hd600 for $200. srs-3100 system and pad swap

*Blocks your path with his portable setup*

Attached: Untitled.jpg (672x718, 122K)

If you don't have them, buy them and become depressed at all the money you wasted on other dynamics. You can get some new-old stock of the SHP9500 on AliExpress.

Attached: shp9500.jpg (412x550, 27K)

Nonsense. I've owned them and other headphones are better.

Good for the price though.

oh no, i used these for simple listening a while back.
the highs made my ears ring after prolonged listening at normal volume.
hd600s are just way way way better to me. feels so soothing.

so i'm probably gonna get new desk speakers for christmas. elac ub5s i think.
checking out onkyo receivers while i'm at it.
...why do people masturbate over dacs and headphone amps when a receiver does the same thing? has optical in, so it has a dac. has multiple inputs and outputs, i really don't see why you'd buy a dac and amp over a receiver for the same price or more for a ton more features?

audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-wesiontek-khadas-tone-board-dac.4823/

new best DAC under $100

better SINAD than topping D50

Does anyone know a pair of headphones that don't do this shit?

I'm looking for something in the $50 - $60 range.

Attached: sketch-1539144825689.png (960x720, 948K)

Superlux the meme ones.
They are hands down the best phones in the under 200$ price range and are build pretty well.

aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20181009210329&SearchText=Takstar Pro 82

if you're talking about 668bs, please buy cheap earbuds. your ears will thank you.
heavy heavy heavy distortion and rough grating sound.

ZMF

i was serious about that btw.
what's the issue with receivers instead of dedicated dacs and amps?

...i have a strange feeling the 2 people lurking are now revising their decision to buy a dac+amp instead of an a/v receiver.

Are there any Bluetooth adapter for headphone with detachable cable? Those IEM ones won't work since there's only one jack.

the iem ones do work, but you need to buy an eighth inch coupler.

I fell for the no headphones jack meme and I hate it. The dongle is shit.
Should I get a DAP or one of those BT receiver dongles that cost like 30 bucks?
What's the cheapest not-terribly-shitty dedicated DAP with Android I can get? even if it's an old outdated version I don't mind as long as it supports spotify

Attached: 1531564935377.jpg (320x257, 20K)

Unironically a second hand 64gb iPod Touch 6th gen. Runs great on iOS 12, I get like three days playback without charging it and it runs smooth as fuck. Also the screen is great. Easily the best screen you will get on a "smart" DAP.

what music do I listen to on S T A X
I'm gonna have a day with a friend's pair and I wanna make the best of it

Attached: 1536969612024.png (1536x2800, 1.58M)

>I fell for the no headphones jack meme and I hate it.
there's no reason you should have fallen for it in the first place so maybe instead of posting here you should shut up and do some self reflection on why you follow herd mentality

Their headphone outputs are usually only an afterthought, it could be OK but it also could be absolute shit and there’s really no way to know what you’re getting because no-one cares to measure them. If you know that you’re going to use it for only headphones, why not get something that you know works well instead of taking a lottery?

Besides, getting a good but cheap dac + amp is cheaper than an AV receiver.

desu i've never seen a receiver with bad phone out.
any onkyo or yamaha i'd expect to sound about as good as a billion dollar dac+headphone amp, and i would like all the bells and whistles of the receiver for my turntable and speakers and all that fun stuff.

so i decided on this. i don't really need the serial connection for 20 more, but why not?
amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR777-THX-Certified-Channel-Receiver/dp/B0725Q6JZH/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1539156009&sr=1-4&keywords=onkyo receiver

No, buy Bose or Beats and join the master race

How many of you use comply foam tips? A pair of my headphones came with a free pair of them and I've been using them since they feel a lot nicer in my ears than the normal thin silicone ones.
They seem really costly to keep buying & throwing away tho, and they get filthy pretty quick

i just wipe mine off. not like anyone else uses them. also clean your ears.
also i love mine. silicone just sweats right out.

fpbp

Best sub 50 euro IEMs for running in EU?
Want to gift them to my mom who is trying to lose weight. She listens youtube videos with her 2$ earbuds currently.

Attached: 1538653370945.png (750x775, 930K)

>think about getting RME Adi-2 DAC for its HW eq, crossfeed, rolloff filters, remote and all that utility stuff
>see Marvey saying this about sound quality
Now what?

Attached: 9CD80F32-9DD6-4296-828A-0FCC610350C9.png (1614x470, 115K)

>what is output impedance

Comply lasts 2-4 weeks for me. I'm thinking about going CIEM route instead of buying lifetime supply of foam.
Essential youtube core (Ryo Fukui, Mariya Takeuchi, Tatsuro Yamashita) and your favorite music.

use google

get her the HJE120/125 & a pair of comply foam tips

You should already know that Marv doesn’t like DS dacs due to digital nasties and synthetic-like sound.

imagine a superconducting headphones

Attached: 1239132593214.jpg (832x690, 130K)

>digital nasties
?

stax
feet

total noob here.
my brother gave me his AKG K550. not sure if it is any "better" than the $20 Monoprice headphones I've been using.
K550's input impedence is 32 ohms so I don't think it's a lack of an amp issue?
How do I milk these headphones to make them sound "best" as possible?

Attached: akg_k550.png (1605x1605, 1.03M)

What do you guys think of the (X)ProMate headphone series? are they any good or only specific models?

Attached: tenor.gif (220x203, 104K)

good IEMs

>paying even more money to the shitty meme company after you fell for their memes

I like them. I only use my IEMs sparingly but they've lasted several months so far.

what do you consider "lasting"
I'm not sure how filthy they're supposed to get before throwing them out

Marv’s (and SBAFs by extension) way to refer to all those nasty, sharp and bright sound impurities that DS dacs create.

Well, they are pretty easy to drive cans, and I had no issues using mine from headphone output from my mobo. However, due to the fact those are 32 ohm headphones, on some sources you might have too high output impedance which actually can then distort the sound. (Ideally you'd want to have roughly 1/8 of headphone's impedance on your source's output impedance, and some older receivers are known to have pretty high output impedance). Amplifier probably wouldn't make that much of an difference, but you could always try parametric eq to milk the best sound out of your headphones. On windows you could use equalizer apo with peace gui. github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results/headphonecom/sbaf-serious/AKG K550 this repo also has equalizer settings from some guy's measurements, which would probably be good place to start with. Also you could always try getting used into them for a while, and then trying to reassess the situation.

Now you stop listening to what some delusional audiophool says and buy them

Show some deference, rando.

Attached: 358C1B1F-E470-49E2-BB46-793CA99551DC.jpg (600x401, 40K)

sell all but the pro 82 and buy good speakers for when you are at home and use the 82 elsewhere

5 euro for the earbuds and 20 for the tips? wtF?

Once he dies, will William inherit control over his cult?

yep

if you don't mind waiting, you can also get the Xiaomi Piston 3 instead of HJE120/125 but that'll likely take a month to arrive & you'll need to do some work finding legitimate ones