/ag/&/am/: audio general & audiophile memes:

Midweek Blahs Edition

Attached: Focal-Kanta-No2-hangfal-light_big.jpg (2000x2000, 2.36M)

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.audiogon.com/discussions/do-speaker-cables-need-a-burn-in-period
youtube.com/watch?v=lWYl0t9yFJs
thomannmusic.com/millenium_desktop_monitor_mount_dm1.htm
thomannmusic.com/millenium_desktop_monitor_stand_dm2.htm
thomannmusic.com/millenium_desktop_monitor_stand_dm3.htm
thomannmusic.com/millenium_desktop_monitor_stand_dm5.htm
thomannmusic.com/km_26772_table_monitor_stand.htm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Attached: tpa3116 bt4.1 2-1000x1000.jpg (1000x1000, 152K)

oh, it's Class D

Attached: 2c0cd8af1de.jpg (500x673, 67K)

Attached: 4006C4EC-C4D4-4312-AAEF-7598BBDCB3CB.jpg (1800x1482, 513K)

Attached: pi-2-design-503hta-i2s-dac-hybrid-tube-amp-for-the-raspberry-pi-VOLUMIO.jpg (640x452, 32K)

qt

Attached: going-barefoot.jpg (639x960, 154K)

What's a good

there's literally hundreds in that price category

I'm aware of that. But recommend me the top three best or something.

*gives you tinnitus*

Attached: IMG_3950.jpg (3024x4032, 1.77M)

genelec 8010 + 7040 sub

Attached: CE190F0B-29F1-4F95-A0FB-1215A8113E21.jpg (1393x1120, 124K)

>genelec 8010
how's directivity on these speakers compared to normal genelecs? because smaller model often means a compromise on a waveguide

>keeps you virginal

Attached: you water that lawn nice and good.jpg (700x540, 126K)

>Alex Cavalli design
>99 dollars
Jesus.

Attached: 333046[1].jpg (1200x900, 108K)

Attached: L1060804_2.jpg (2560x1920, 1.97M)

So, I have a pair of speakers and an amp (that belong to a gramophone, but the needle is fucked, and I don't have anything to play on it anyway), which has bunch of midi inputs. Any idea how/if I could use that with regular 3.5mm jack or whatever?

pix plox

Attached: ea14fd5933823c6d5a10219music.jpg (473x640, 64K)

Will post tomorrow morning.

Klipsch 'The Sixes' if you want an all in one solution minus the subwoofer

forum.audiogon.com/discussions/do-speaker-cables-need-a-burn-in-period

Attached: 1305282212641.jpg (248x234, 20K)

>643 responses

they're called DIN cables. There are a few different kinds.
You need a DIN to rca adapter like pic related (then a rca-3.5mm cable and maybe a female to female rca adapter if the din-rca is male rca)
there's the further complication that you'll need to get the right pins, most adapter will list what pin is what and your amp might have them marked as well.
It's probably all standard, you could just buy and hope it works, but if not you may have to test and you could also buy a din plug and a 3.5mm plug, or rca plugs, and make a cable yourself, if you can't get the correct one online.

Attached: dintorca.jpg (355x355, 11K)

More like a "cope with wasted money period and convincing yourself that it sounds better period". But it really should work, brain is amazing thing.

blue/red/yellow as left/right/ground if you want to make a cable

Attached: midimin_20160507-182350_1.jpg (600x516, 31K)

Reposting just once.

Which is the better speaker between KEF Q150 and MA Bronze 2?

Would these be good for a home office?

Attached: Klipsch R-15PM.jpg (355x355, 14K)

no people just recommend that brand because they like the look of them they are all shit.

yes
>they are all shit.
no

Is it ok to run 15 meter cable to my speakers? Like 6 or 8 sq. mm thick.

doesn't need to be half as thick.
2.5-4mm2 is standard for everything up to 25m length in the live music world pushing kilowatts through those.

Alright, I'll do that. I don't know much about the naming, which is probably why I couldn't find the cables before. I do have a soldering iron, so that's always an option, lets just hope the cables won't be pain in the ass to connect properly, with paint and other shit.

Attached: img1.jpg (1500x844, 61K)

Attached: img2.jpg (1500x844, 63K)

that's a turntable not a gramophone and your potato photos don't really make it clear what the inputs/outputs are

No

Just bought a Playstation scph 1002
looking forwars to approve or bust this myth

The ps1 measures like crap but has an oddly comfy sound. Don't expect it to be neutral or crazy clean but extremely fun.

it will hopefully be better than my current CD-Player

If all you want is have a drink, smoke some weed and relax it'll be good.

Ok?

A little tongue-in-cheek fun.

youtube.com/watch?v=lWYl0t9yFJs

Is this guy from B&C just making shit up as he goes or is that really their sales pitch?

Sorry I'm a brainlet.

>B&C just making shit up
yes

>this guy from B&C just making shit up as he goes
They're being very unserious. It should have been clear when they were talking about paper cones that attract water.

I'm looking to replace my dying old genius 2.0 speakers with a single big portable one or if it's possible 2.0 portable ones(if this makes sense).
My question is what brands should i look for?
Should i look around on chink sites for them if so what brands?
Looking for one with around 80W output and the ability to use with the PC and the ability to use it via AC(perhaps DC too) and chargable battery.
Any help is appreciated.

See if the Marley Bag of riddim is your cup of tea.

Well, they cost almost the same anyway so why not get the thickest one if space allows.

KEF speaker stands to go with the bookshelf speakers I delivered yesterday

Attached: 20181010_111632-1494x2656.jpg (1494x2656, 513K)

weight, bend radius, being able to fit it into terminals or plugs without having to taper down depending on the terminals
if all that is not an issue then why not, but usually it is at least somewhat

Must really be "performance" stands and paid a premium for it because they needed a 21+ signature

Attached: 20181010_111651-1494x2656.jpg (1494x2656, 514K)

top kef

>din
Deutsches Institut für Normung

Attached: cultural-appropriation.jpg (1188x1179, 122K)

Well the only issue for me there is that it is maybe unfittable into speakon, which I like and might use.

They would be perfect.

what would you recommend then?

can confirm, klipsch is shit

Attached: WhatsApp Image 2018-10-10 at 17.20.14.jpg (1600x900, 121K)

Klipsch is fine but very directional - not for office imo. Get those series 7 jbls with M2-style waveguide, they should be great for filling space. Correct me if im wrong.

theres more to it. the rp 160 i have right now dont sound musical at all

its okay if you've lost some hearing

here. Just coming back from listening to both.

I was immediately surprised by the imaging and soundstage coming from the Q150s, I feel they immediately fill a room. They're slightly bright but pleasant, not piercing at all. They also put quite a bit of clean bass from their 5 inch driver, I was impressed. On the other hand the Bronze 2s have a much smoother treble (not sure why some people find them bright, might depend on the amplification) and are slightly more mid-forward. The problem is that, while the bass is clearly louder, it's pretty shitty and boomy. It just ruins the speaker for me. The imaging is also not as impressive. So I think I'll go for the Q150s.

Also the Q150s look a lot better than what the pictures show, they're more of a pleasant dark blue rather than a shitty black shown in photos. The Bronzes are still better looking to me, but sound is what matters.

What amp should I go for? Can I get away with a chink mini-amp like the TPA3116 since I've heard so much good things about it? I was about to get an Onkyo TX-8220 but I only need amplification and if the TPA can provide clean enough sound comparable to such a cheap receiver then I'd prefer it.

>Bronze 2s have a much smoother treble
>bass is clearly louder, it's pretty shitty and boomy

do you know if the amp being used was a class D

>Listening to Klipsch in a wide room with hardwood floors and bare walls.

Literally asking for bad reflections. Lrn2horn

Were the levels matched and did you listen blind (not knowing which set you're hearing)?

Attached: sc-m50-denon-0.jpg (1600x1239, 732K)

If I remember correctly it was a Cambridge CXA80 which is class AB afaik. This is actually the second time I listen to it, the first time it was connected to an SR10 and I felt the same issue. I made sure it was EQ'd flat. It might be the room though since it was shitty, but the room with the Q150s was shitty too and it felt fine. The latter were connected to the TX-8220 which is lower end as well. That said it's not that bad, I liked the Bronzes quite a lot too.

They were in separate rooms so I couldn't do that. I wish I could provide a better test but it's the only place they let you listen to them (also 2 hours away). If someone had the chance to AB them properly I'd love to hear it as well as I still haven't fully made my choice.

I am currently using an older Yamaha RX V 467 5.1 AV receiver which has served me well during the past 7 years, but I am looking to upgrade mainly for 4k IN / OUT / passthrough. Network connectibility isn't a huge issue but I suppose would be a plus. I can't remember why I went with a Yamaha back then over Denon, for example, specifically, so I am not exactly loyal to the brand. The price doesn't matter all that much.
Any recommendations?

Edifier S730d

what kind of cable holder material is required for my gold plated spdif cables? I am also thinking that somehow radio frequencies from the water tubes enter my signal, do I need to run the cables in a 90° angle to them to avoid them acting as an antenna?

Of course they do. Cables have capacitance. Every condenser will over time lose some, this will result in better overall tone.

You should go with even bigger cables in my experience. The resistance is so high at 15m, it is not even funny.

>in the live music world
>good sound or tone

>because its mainstream it shit

OK. Help me out. What's the most cost effective way to do this.

I need a DAC with selectable inputs, one USB, one optical. To an amp, that can output to two groups of speakers or one wireless, one group wired, as well as amplify my headphones.

So it would look like this.
Input 1-----------------¬. ^Speaker
PC---------------------->DAC---Amp---HP
......................................... ¡Speaker

Either I don't know enough, or I what I want is not really possible for my price range.
So I'm probably looking at a Pre-amp DAC, amp stack.

I really recommend that you do

input ---- pre-amp ---- PC ---- DAC ---- amp ---- speaker

that way you do not have ground loops

Stop shilling your realtek-tier dac Alex

cornuphobia

Attached: G-42-FrontA.jpg (970x243, 14K)

Attached: kh120a_gr.jpg (990x1481, 916K)

>realtek-tier dac Alex
>DAC
Reading comprehension

Anyone know if an above monitor microphone setup exists/would work?

any recommended speaker risers for a desk setup? i have shitty huge foam ones right now and they look kinda hideous.

>Of course they do. Cables have capacitance. Every condenser will over time lose some, this will result in better overall tone.

I'd be 10000x more likely to believe that a 50 year old woofer magnet is less powerful than cable break in

thomannmusic.com/millenium_desktop_monitor_mount_dm1.htm
thomannmusic.com/millenium_desktop_monitor_stand_dm2.htm
thomannmusic.com/millenium_desktop_monitor_stand_dm3.htm
thomannmusic.com/millenium_desktop_monitor_stand_dm5.htm
thomannmusic.com/km_26772_table_monitor_stand.htm

depending on the mic it might be excellent for picking up the sound of your keyboard

I have one that came with my sound card.($100 Sound Blaster). It works but not nearly as good as a headphone mic does. Limited range left to right

can any of these be bought anywhere else? the shipping costs more than the item itself.

Yes, k&m is available everywhere and millennium is just a basic chinese import

I'm sure Amazon has them or Walmart 3rd party seller and pick up at the store

nice equipment rack

hey /ag/. i have two different amps... in both of them, there is a slight hiss coming from the speakers i have hooked up to them. they both do this with the same set of speakers, using the same wire. with one amp, the hiss gets louder the higher it goes up, the other, the hiss is the exact same volume no matter how cranked the speaker gets, which is to say pretty silent, but in a completely silent room, it is audible.

what's the cause here? are both amps just kinda gay, or is it the speakers themselves? I've tried different speaker wire and the result is the same, and even connected it differently to each post.

Yes, magnets, especially ceramic, lose their charge overtime. However, this usually results in warmer tone, which is what we all crawl after, isn't it?

But be careful: some old speakers used alnico. You want to avoid them. The blue light spectrum of the cobalt messes with your high frequencies too much.

What kind of amps are you using? Avoid transistor based amps at all cost. They may have better specs on sheet, but a good valve amp will be more resilent to hiss issues. There is a reason why the russians still use them in their interceptor aircraft.

If lifting the wire helps, just get cable holders.

Sa-98e. The other one was an old lepai. Fucking with the cables didn't help, and i have more speakers on the way. It might be the old speakers desu. Could also be the speaker wire which was just amazon basics 16awg, but who fucking knows honestly

I'm actually reading further into it and i guess the hiss I'm describing isnt something i can really get rid of and is present in pretty much any set up to varying degrees. I think i should be grateful that the sa98 keeps that hiss super low and doesn't increase in volume when i turn it up.

>might be the old speakers desu
no, it might not be the speakers or the wire, none of these components introduce any nose except for interference which is a totally different problem with a totally different sound to it.
amps have self noise, that's just the way it is but you do need one that is not absolute shit for the noise to be low enough at a given listening distance and both are shitty tiny chink chip amps so 100% that's what the problem is.

And you suggest what, exactly? I feed more money into the audiophile meme? Im using full blown bookshelf speakers on my computer desk with them about 3 foot away, with enough power to literally project any music i play on them down the fucking block. Im play with a little bit of hiss.

I suggest that you either deal with the noise or look for something with a low enough self noise to be inaudible at your listening distance.
there's no other way around it

Read up, i already came to this conclusion.

When Zensor 3 review?

no because its only recommended because its /fa/ its shit.

can i use home theater speakers with my pc?

that would be extremely dangerous

Hate to ask. Buthow do I fix my Laptop's audio. It's been broken since I updated my windows a few hours ago. It says "No Audio Output device is installed."

install the drivers

bottom kef

You can, sure. As long you can fit them and have all the right connections.

i bought a Scarlett 2i2 and it fucking crackles.
couldn't find fix online so i guess ill have to buy a new interface .
round 2 , what should i buy?

>klipsch circlejerker
>not having MASSIVE hearing loss that needs to be compensated for with trebblecannons