/spg/ - Smartphone General

All Screen, No Notch Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com
kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: d6c06691c3d743f9b7347eb33f986e14.jpg (1868x1366, 575K)

First for Pixel 3 XL master race

Why is Pocophone so cheap? How the hell is Xiaomi making money out of it? Are investing on MIUI and its shitty bloatware?

I’ve had an iPhone 7 Plus for almost 2 years and I’m going to make the switch to Android.

With the pixel 3 xl underwhelming today is the note 9 the best device or before 2018 is over will there be a new top tier device

>notch
>chin
>no 3.5 jack
>no microSD
>less than 3000 mAh
>master race
Sad!

OnePlus 6T

>How the hell is Xiaomi making money
>MIUI and its shitty bloatware
Exactly this, they openly call themselves a software company. The average user will buy it because it's cheap, won't bother with changing MIUI and will generate money trough ads/other software solutions Xiaomi offers, the latter especially being the case in China where there are no Google services. In the case of Poco itself, they might even be losing money altogether, but the primary goal of this phone is to fuck over Huawei and Oneplus and permanently steal their market share. This is also the reason it has a modified launcher with the app drawer, to ease in converts from other brands.
Note 9 or Oneplus 6 if you need a phone now. By the end of 2018 possible contenders are the Oneplus 6T, Mi Mix 3, Huawei will release a P20 something something that will have a 7nm processor and there is a rumor Samsung will debut their folding phone by the end of the year.

NOOO

>DisplayMate has Lab Tested the Google Pixel 3 XL OLED Display which has earned our Highest A+ Rating and a DisplayMate Best Smartphone Display Award. Our in-depth Display Shoot-Out review article will go live here on Monday October 15

Attached: 8577913.png (524x522, 148K)

They also claimed the newest iPhones have the best displays right after crowning Samsung's S9 and then the Note 9 as such. They're just a joke.

R I G G E D R E V I E W S
I E
G V
G I
E E
D W
S

Attached: k.jpg (437x431, 28K)

So is Samsung really going to be the only flagship maker that doesn't include notches and remove the headphone jack in the year of our Lord 2018?

what does /spg/ think of blackview? thinking about getting the bv9500

Attached: absolute unit.png (1569x881, 932K)

What's the best smartphone that won't collect and sell everything I do to advertisers while listening to every single word I say?

iPhone Xs Max

Locked bootloader

make my life decision for me spg
my 2 year old SE's home button is slightly unresponsive, doesn't work maybe once-5 times a day with constant use, and the power button is loose, sometimes causes me to take a screenshot when I only press the home button and randomly triggers the "slide to power off" screen when my finger is nowhere near the button
I can't convince myself if this justifies a new phone or if I"m just being a baby and want a new toy. what do you guys think

The only way to get out of the botnet is to drop all technology and go off the grid.

Attached: 6000197563441.jpg (184x460, 15K)

I'm planning on buying a Pocophone since my current phone got fucked at work, does it work for Cricket Wireless?

Attached: 1537496174003.png (1125x900, 1.01M)

Get a new SE and ride off of that for a couple of years. It doesn't look like Apple or any other phone manufacturer is appealing to the small phone market anymore.

No, forget the Pocophone if you're in the US

was gonna get the xz1c

How susceptible are Chinese phones with OLED screens to burn in? I want to buy one but I'm so used to AMOLED at this point that I don't want to go backwards to IPS LCD.

What's a good phone to get then? I don't want to shell out $800+ for some Pixel.

Attached: 1536792684853.jpg (680x798, 319K)

I think most chinkphones source their oleds from Samsung, so they're fine in that regard.

Just get something second hand on swappa

Use an Android P custom ROM with smart pixel protection enabled and keep your brightness at reasonable levels.

It's kind of sad to see that no matter what technology you use and how hard you try, somebody is always listening. But then again you have idiots who encourage this behaviour by buying google homes and amazon echos, literally government listening devices in your house.

I expect within 20 years every phone will require location to always be enabled or it doesn't work and be impossible to unlock. New houses will come with google home/amazon echo preinstalled in the walls with no way to remove it apart from smashing your walls down.

Attached: 1517728179093.png (794x719, 415K)

I just got a second hand Redmi Note 4 for $96. Is it worth it to install Lineage on it?

Attached: gsmarena_001.jpg (728x314, 36K)

Yes. And enable Camera2api for GCam

Moto Z2 Force is $299.99 on ebay brand new sold by Motorola
Essential is $340 on Amazon
Asus Zenfone 5Z is $499 through BandH
OnePlus 6 is $549
Nokia 7.1 will be $350 when released later this month

Any good phone to replace my 5x with a headphone jack and unlockable bootloader? Might just end up replacing the battery instead and pray it doesn't bootloop again

Whats the best cheap used phone under $100 one can currently buy?

Your prayers won't do it. LG's shortcomings and incompetence have been well documented. It's not just the 5X.

anybody here got the xz1? got a specific question

I got the XZ1 Compact

so do you really need to press the power button every time you use the finger sensor?
so if I have it set to wake up every time I pick it up, I need to power it off with the button for it to pick up my fingerprint instead of just resting my finger on the button?

>The most I'll get if I trade in my 128GB Pixel 2 XL from Google is $350
what the actual fuck lol
I could probably sell it on amazon and make twice that much. what the fuck google

Attached: 1538812846795.gif (245x269, 71K)

iPhone SE

If you wake up the screen so it displays the lockscreen, then you don't need to press the button to unlock, just put your finger on it.

okay thank you
since I have you here, anything you want to say regarding if I should get it?

how is the camera on the essential phone?

Galaxy S9+ or OP6?

I really like the almost stock android from OP and gesture mode is nice to get rid of screen navbar.
But the S9+ is so much better looking, has better cameras, IP68 and stereo sound. Also has the shitty TouchJizz 2.0 and I'm afraid it will lag on my 1 year from now, and the SD845 variant doesn't support custom ROMs.

What to do?

It's a good phone, no major complaints. Great performance, nice features (USB-C, MicroSD slot, headphone jack, notification led, IP68 water resistance, stereo speakers), close to stock Android, good battery life, update support is decent (security updates come monthly, Android Pie should be coming in November). Main downside is the camera, which is pretty average.

>Android Pie should be coming in November
neat didn't know its getting pie
thanks man

XZ1 launched with Oreo, and so far every Sony flagship has got two android version updates, so after Pie it should be getting whatever Android Q will be.

only in usa
>land of the free

Every Galaxy I've tried was laggy as shit. Recently tried my dad's S8 (it's a work phone, so he doesn't fuck with it, it's whatever comes out of the box) and it's laggy.

Pixel 3 VS. S9 Plus VS. P20 Pro
I can't decide
I don't want it to be crap and lag after 1-2 years, idk desu
Pls help

is there a way to get bootloader unlock code for huawei p8 GRA-L09 now?

I’m almost in the same boat just pixel 3 xl vs note 9 vs one plus 6t

was it tough to reenable the sensor?

Mine isn't a US XZ1C so the FP reader was working out of box, but from what I've read it's nothing complicated to do

I'm on the S9+ or 6(T) boat.
Price is not an issue.

Actually the XL has a 3400 mAh battery (the non XL is the one with the 2900 mAh battery) and pretty much all the Nexus/Pixel phones except the original Nexus One don't have a card slot. Don't forget:

>Dodgy quality control
>4GB of RAM in #CurrentYear

You will need a program called Flashtool to flash firmwares from other regions (ftf files)

is that program hard/dangerous to use? I notice people like to mention phones getting bricked or losing functions because of flashing gone wrong

Very important question:
Blue or Black?

Attached: Pinocchiophone Formula One.jpg (1106x946, 123K)

It is not difficult to use, and you shouldn't be bricking your device / losing function as long as you don't flash the wrong firmware.

Blue

where are people getting the money for these new phones? $1200 for the iphone? $900 for the S9 and Note 9? last time I bought a phone they were half that price

Attached: 1517438656936.jpg (520x512, 25K)

throw a coin in the air
you'll know what you want while it's spinning

credit card debt like all consumerists

profound

>fell for a phishing scam for the first time in my life
>realized it was a scam right as i read off my PIN
I changed it immediately before they could do any damage but my pride is forever wounded

Attached: 1268426984.gif (720x533, 774K)

I have the someone selling a Galaxy S9+ really cheap (he doesnt have charger and box but has a receipt)

Im going to check its not stolen and not got some hidden damage or issues like being knox tripped. Is there any easy way to tell the software is legit and not modified though? If I flash a stock rom on there will it be safe?

Ive never bought a used phone before so im really not sure what to do since I cant just change out the harddrive and be sure.

No one I know buys phones flat out everyone just spends the 30-40$ a month for the highest tier iPhone

But I’ve been selling my phones every 2 years and need to spend at most $200 for the current years iPhone investing in the 3g was the best thing I’ve ever done but I think it’s time to sell this and sink my money into an android and NEVER make my money back like I did on iPhones

Exactly how did you fall for one?
Legitimately curious since I'm surprised retards like you can even exist.

Pixel 1 user here and coming to terms with the fact that I hate the Pixel family now and am looking for something to replace it with down the line.
The 3.5mm is the main thing that I'm clinging to but I can definitely be swayed by something exciting (which the 3XL was the farthest thing from).
I cannot believe the 3 is 800 fucking dollars or the slate doesn't have a 3.5mm or just that fucking notch. I hope no one buys any Pixel phones or slates this year, they really don't deserve a fucking dime.

Any chance the new Galaxy keeps its 3.5mm? It looks like the S9 or OP6 could be it for me, but are there other phones I should be looking at? When was the last Sony to have a jack? I had a Z1 which was a great piece of hardware.

>mfw peeling the screen protector off my new used Passport to reveal a pristine screen

Attached: 1475826641963.png (650x600, 538K)

Yeah I'm fucking stupid. I got a bunch of messages from someone spoofing AT&T's shortcode saying something along the lines of "your verification code is blablabla if you did not request this please call (phishing number) immediately, at&t will never contact you requesting your pin" well I was too concerned with the idea that someone might have my password and be trying to log in, so without thinking I called the number in the text just assuming it was AT&T's support number. They had a robogreeter set up exactly like AT&T's and I got bullshitted by some guy and ended up giving my PIN because I thought it was routine for changing my password. Only when he asked me to say my old password over voice did I realize that I was getting scammed and hung up. I'm a retard in my defense it was decently sophisticated

Attached: Das_it741.jpg (217x222, 34K)

Just got a redmi note 5 and noted that there's a weird display issue that looks like there's a very faint transparent line near the borders. It's extremely noticeable on gray apps like discord.
Anyone with this issues or do I have a special unit?

It's decent with the default camera app, but the gcam makes it shine even better.

>best camera
>best screen
>unlocked bootloader
>stereo speakers
>pure Android

$1000 is not even that much if you're a young independent adult.

Who is this qt3.14?

just uninstall shitcord, its win win

I doubt Samsung will get rid of it since their whole philosophy has been to throw every feature possible at their devices. Also I think they are smart enough to realise that people want it and they dont have enough bluetooth headphones to shill to people

Refurb HTC M10

that one's a classic, the messages I get are easy to identify because the real ones are in french and don't have any links in them

If I were buy a Galaxy Note 9 right now, how long will it take for me to regret buying it instead of waiting to next year for 5g phones?

about a year

Roughly 4-6 months

Instantly

fantastic, stuck with my 2015 phone another year

what a whiny bitch you are
2015 isn't old

o feel bad for the early adopters to B71 phones on T-Mo, because they just bought the damn devices and then they'll have to turn around and buy another one in probably less than a year, and B71 rollput won't be completed until sometime next year

>meme tech channels with first hand access to the pixel 3 all have nothing but positive things to say

damn they got to all of them, and even the "realest" ones talk don't mentio/criticize the notch, the lack of headphone jack, nasty price or the overall lazy/ugly design

i don't think even apple bought off this many tech reviewers for the XS

Attached: 1468387360900.jpg (511x559, 73K)

I just got a Blackberry Key 2

physical keyboard gets me aroused and my tariff was pretty good by UK standards

Unlimited mins
Unlimited texts
50Gb data
no upfront cost

£40 a month

phones pretty wicked and fairly cheap

Attached: akrales_180531_2598_0061.0.jpg (1200x800, 324K)

how long until notches are phased out?

Lewis's video felt so artificial. He wasn't even energetic as he usually is.

you don't think the keys are too small? I feel like I'd need to use my nail to press them

yeah specially after the 4 videos in a row he put out trashing the new iphones

I just went from a dumbphone with physical QWERTY keyboard to a smartphone with only touchscreen, and man, I miss that keyboard.

>can get the P20 (non-pro) for $360 CAD (50% off)
>current phone (S5) is slow and runs out of battery in the middle of the day
worth buying this as a go-between and future backup phone before the S10 or Pixel 4 is released?

Pixel 2 xl is still like $800 (tfw could have bought the pixel 2 xl for $500 but read about potential hardware problems)

thinking of buying the pixel 3 (non-XL) too, it costs $1,060 or S9+ (about $850 if i can find it on sale)

>you are the only person ITT who actually owns a Redmi Note 5 Pro

Attached: 1529969089631.png (248x249, 43K)

You could type with your big toe

I own it too, apparently with a display issue.

I have a Samsung galaxy j7(2015) but it's slow as fuck, probably because of samsungs android skin and specs.

I want something under $250-$200
headphonejack, microsdcardslot, modern, USA.

Moto g6 cause that's budget range. But it'll still be better than j7

For me It's the Huawei Mate 10.

Attached: serveimage (1).jpg (2048x1536, 625K)

>2018
>save me Samsung

fuck this timeline but I'll take what I can get at this point