Name a shittier OS than Windows

Attached: Untitled.png (429x147, 8K)

Other urls found in this thread:

auth.livepatch.canonical.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Ubuntu asks for restart after some updates

linux

>Ubuntu asks for restart after some updates
Not anymore actually ever since they integrated live patching into the desktop update manager. If you're using a Wayland session you don't even have to log out anymore.

just don't update, moron

After I installed Ubuntu 18.04 LTS it resterted after system update.

Attached: 1518571159006.png (359x198, 31K)

Actually, there's the "hotpatching" mechanism, which has been there for more than a decade. MS doesn't use it for some reason, though.

As demonstrated by and , you've been caught lying again I see.

auth.livepatch.canonical.com/

Holy shit. Dumping arch brb.

Attached: 1509905829242.png (321x300, 112K)

>Linux
>just werks - except we lied, it doesn't
>has drivers for everything - except we lied, windows has more
>runs all windows programs (wine, playonlinux, proton, here) - except we lied, it doesn't
>doesn't require restarts for updates - except we lied, it does

>everything freetards say about it is probably a lie
>WHY WON'T PEOPLE USE LINUX?

Attached: 1523404958749.png (668x768, 69K)

>Actually, there's the "hotpatching" mechanism, which has been there for more than a decade. MS doesn't use it for some reason, though.
Sauce?

delet the thise post u motherfucker

Attached: lin.png (633x758, 34K)

Lincucks eternally BTFO

Sauce: I have some Windows dev experience, and it's been in Visual C++ at least since 2005. It's actually quite neat: it leaves room for a jump instruction at the beginning of every subroutine. So when an update comes along for something, it waits for that process to enter it's main loop, suspends it, does a WriteProcessMemory to put in the updated code, then adds a jump to the newly-written process memory. Then resumes the process.

Actually, I just answered "why MS doesn't use it" part - sounds fiddly. Easier to just drop in updated binaries and restart.

>Updating windows 10
Oh boy here you go.

>t. SEETHING mactoddler

Thanks senpai. Nice to hear some actual first-hand knowledge

Attached: 1535180117911.jpg (280x280, 12K)

Do you even read the posts you reply to?

They don't do it because the average windows user will fuck something up during a hotpatch and won't be able to fix what they broke.

Then they could disable it in Home editions. No fucking excuse for not finishing the job.

It wouldn't really make sense to utilize that within kernel space to patch a function, right? I'm not a systems dev so I don't know, but that doesn't seem right.

Do you really think micro$haft will spend time and money on improving their OS?

>t. illiterate retard

They do for Enterprise and Server (aka the real sources of income)

Erm... the "fix" is to restart the computer and let the updated binaries take over.

Neither am I, so I don't know for sure. Logic suggests that it could be applied equally to kernel mode - but trying to patch (say) the memory manager while Windows is running would be a lot of fun. Pretty much all OSs require a restart on a kernel update anyway, so why go the extra effort?

MacOS is unironically a better platform for Unix dev than any GNU/Linux distro.
Stay mad freetard.

ubuntu is not macos you fucking idiots and of course you don't need to restart after an update
jesus u guys are seething

>Jow Forums is too retarded to know the difference between non-kernel updates and kernel updates

>screaming names and lying through your teeth
>no ur seething
k

Attached: 1513620051897.png (580x363, 319K)

What's absolutely terrifying is that you're probably right. I read somewhere (paraphrasing) "all the "true UNIX" guys have abandoned Linux and gone to OS X".

Attached: 1534444400380.gif (632x480, 1.42M)

>t. mactoddler

this

>Jow Forums is too retarded
Imagine my surprise.

Truth makes baby Tux cry.

Attached: 1512570284779.jpg (500x500, 54K)