That awkward moment when you `rm -rf /`

I'm sad, mad and feel like a moron.

I did a script on to delete recusivly all my __pycache__, and well, It was a pipe like this

find . -type d -name "__pycache__" | grep '__pycache__' | xargs rm -rf

I wrote the script and forgot the pycache grep, and name... (just as a test) but obviously me as an Idiot, run it...

Deleted all my Repo directory...

I lost over 40 projects, I've been working on for the past 3 years...

I tried recovering it, but It's way too many files to actually do it...

I think It's a new start for me...

Attached: 449861f5fb3c3753ed1da61a7332adaa--jersey-linux.jpg (589x589, 34K)

Other urls found in this thread:

snapper.io/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Nobody cares. Those projects where nothing but you swinging your e-penis around, nobody used and nobody will use them.

why didnt you have your important files backed up user?

Attached: 1539025715071.jpg (1280x720, 68K)

liked and subscribed

Turn off your PC, take out your hard drive, plug it into another computer on read-only mode, then run one of the 1000x free file rescuers out there. I once saved 10GB of music I deletedby accident that way.

Leave it to a retarded Redditor to do something like that. You're not exactly helping the stereotyping of Python being the lowest common denominator of programming either.

>imagine not making backups in 3 years

I did have the backups, but, It was 3 months old, of does projects I had much progress done on Github, and shared across some SVN servers, but, and others where open source contributions, but... still

This accident, It's like the worst, I've done, hahaha

I've never had an accident like this...

It just feels weird.

im too poor for backups and i hate it when my pc hdd died

No you're not and you deserved it.

Maybe flipping burgers is more up your alley, sport.

>delete half a day of work
>setup snapper.io/
>create snapshot every 10 minutes
>never delete more than 10 minutes of work anymore

I've recently deleted my documents folder, a few hours later I read news microsoft does the same with an update.

It's a fucking true story.

Lost nothing of real value, mostly receipts from onlineshops I could dl again. But still, felt bad, man.

I've done something similar as you once, OP. I forgot to escape something in a bash script, lead to the script recursively deleting everything from /, had a backup though.

Attached: 1531758302698.jpg (682x682, 111K)

why is it so hard for you stupid cunts to just run an rsync cron job?

I have questions.
First, how the fuck do you have a distro/shell environment/whatever that even allowed you to rm -rf / without at least thirty prompts asking you if you're REALLY fucking sure you want to be a retard?
Second, how was none of this stuff backed up on a remote repo somewhere? Was a free Gitlab account just too much money?
Finally, fuck you. That's not a question, just fuck you. You seem like a larping faggot.

Attached: 1520543538745.gif (487x560, 898K)

I've made a typo in the output file to dd once on my home server where I kept only copies of some of my data. It took me like 15 minutes to realize that I've made a mistake.
I've learnt to actually bother to use an addition only rsync script and keep copies of my data on all computers I own. Now I'd need to delete my data three times to actually lose it.
OP, I hope this will be a lesson for you to step up your backup game. If you're keeping code around, use something like gitlab or whatever to keep private repositories, preferably use multiple hosting services to keep redundant copies. This way you're always git clone away from getting your code back.

user i lost the private keys to my $50k worth of EOS because i accidentally reset my laptop and forgot the keys were temporarily in my notes

dont feel so bad

>No backup
Build a fucking server and back your shit up, idiot.
I can restore any computer in my house to the state of yesterday even if there is no computer. Backup your shit if it's that important.

Attached: snatcher2.png (199x199, 37K)

HERE: syncthing

Enjoy never losing anything since you'll have everything everywhere.

it's a find command, not rm command, dum dum

Windows GUI doesn't have this problem.

>still need to write script

botnet

>shittr.io