What's the diference between a scripting language and a real one?

What's the diference between a scripting language and a real one?

Attached: 1520734595026.png (560x767, 137K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/root-project/cling
twitter.com/AnonBabble

cry more, dumb frogposter

A scripting language runs in an interpreter, a real language is compiled into code that runs directly on the machine.

Scripting language usually refers to a confined environment whereas language usually means general purpos

Wrong

Where does that put Java?

In the designated shitting street.

Some smartass will always say, that there are no interpreted or compiled languages, it all depends on the implementation, the syntax and semantic of the language is independant from that.

Kinda inbetween.

by definition: a scripting language just executes commands that you could execute by hand
a good example of a scripting language would be BASH

A scripting language is run by an interpreter, a real one is spoken by humans to communicate.

What does doing by hand mean? I mean my OS may allow me to do some things by hand, but not others. Now in an update the OS adds functionality to the gui and suddenly a language that was previously not a scripting language becomes a scripting language?

Scripting languages never get compiled to machine code, or if they do it is JIT (Just-in-time) compiled

There's debug consoles with command interpretation for various languages. That's a terrible definition.
Scripting languages are not compiled, that's all.

the scripting language itself is just a tool to run commands that already exist on your OS.
these guys are wrong. while a scripting language is always an interpreted language, a language being interpreted instead of compiled doesn't make it a scripting language

What if I write a python compiler?

This.

You're dumb because most modern scripting languages use JIT so they are in fact compiled

you are such a fucking retard
namedrop the language you're calling a scripting language so I can laugh at you

Isn't the compiled binary code just scripting language that your machine interpretes?

is assembler a scripting language?

Anything that can run in an environment that supports scripting. Lua is common. JS is another. Even Python

Attached: 1539110533163.jpg (1010x948, 137K)

>the scripting language itself is just a tool to run commands that already exist on your OS.
What do you mean by commands? Shell commands? I can load any library with Python just fine. OS/Kernel functions? Now your definition includes all languages, good job retard.

Then you made a non-standard deviate of Python because you lose OS independence.

Fuck cris! you're fucking flooding Jow Forums today

python isn't a scripting language.

Yes it is. It's not compiled, code is delivered as a readable script.

>HURR DURR IF ITS NOT COMPILED ITS A SCRIPT
repeating yourself doesn't make you right.

Attached: 1535690168972.jpg (1462x2046, 98K)

The same goes for you.

Everything that isn't C or machine code is a scripting language.

>HURR DURR ONE PLUS ONE EQUALS TWO
>repeating yourself doesn't make you right.

Attached: 148888888888.gif (600x600, 899K)

did you guys know that C++ is a scripting language? github.com/root-project/cling

This guy apparently knew it.

heh

Attached: 1534837788859.png (350x97, 4K)

It runs directly on machine. Java machine