Please tell me Jow Forums how i can be able to decompile compiled commercial software from the 90s in to a readable...

please tell me Jow Forums how i can be able to decompile compiled commercial software from the 90s in to a readable source code.

Attached: Seafloor_Cavern_R2_E.png (320x320, 35K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/nmlgc/ReC98
youtube.com/watch?v=H-U96W89Z90
github.com/pret/pokemon-reverse-engineering-tools
github.com/pret/pokered
github.com/pret/pokeruby/blob/master/INSTALL.md
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

it's not worth it. the resulting C code will be an unreadable mess.
best you can do is make a dissasembly and slowly annotate it until it's readable enough for your needs

bumping the reverse engineering general
what programs have you cracked Jow Forums?

Attached: 1486783332499.gif (425x481, 1.3M)

what game is this?

>implying the original source code was readable

What program are you trying to reverse engineer? (and for what)

You can't. There is no real C decompiler, the closest thing is HexRays, but it produces pseudo code that is light years from code that you could compile, and miles from code that you can comfortably read.
A lot, but when the software uses real anti RE mechanisms it's impossible for me.

I'm calling the police.

probably easier to re-write the whole thing desu

but that's no fun user

Attached: 1539102061699.jpg (961x816, 239K)

can't imagine it would be that fun trying to decompile something that over 20 years old

besides, if it's simple enough, it's not too hard to follow along on a debugger

why not?

seems pretty frustrating

Wait for AGI. This stuff was all written in assembly anyway. If you don't want to wait, see github.com/nmlgc/ReC98 for what kind of human effort it takes today.

Well, is a decompiler fun then? There are tools, but nothing that will give you the solution with a simple click, if you like the challenge it can be interesting.

It was probably written in assembly to start with. So just cpu-appropriate disassembler.

Either Pokemon sapphire or ruby

Pokemon Sapphire/Ruby/Emerald

Captian Squishy coded the whole game (Pokemon Red) in MineCraft command blocks

youtube.com/watch?v=H-U96W89Z90

lol

>is a decompiler fun
Only if it's radare2

You don't. You learn assembly, you learn how patterns in assembly tend to relate to C code, and you learn nuances specific to the particular compiler used to generate the binary you're trying to reverse engineer. If it's something you can actually run and monitor, which would be the case with most Windows software, you do exactly that and follow the flow of the program's execution and memory layout.

sounds like a fucking nightmare
stick with IDA Pro

Attached: 1539193053663.jpg (394x507, 57K)

can you read z80 assembly?

Never spend on software, what you could spend on hardware.

Who can't? Did you not grow up with a Ti-83/84? What did you do, write in Ti-Basic?

>what is thepiratebay

There are even direct downloads, but IDA is hard to crack and linked to a personal account. There are some versions, but you will not be able to always just get the newest one.

Kill yourself zoomer.

Start with gameboy roms, try using radare2. They were mostly coded in assembly anyway and against a simpler system than x86

nice try FBI

I just though it was an abandonware game or some harmless shit

>all that talk but no progress
You can't make this shit up. I though Touhoulets were autistic enough for this, what went wrong?

R/S was 15 years ago

Attached: 1479005876572.jpg (250x250, 5K)

Disassemble using Ida Pro, add comments and tag functions. There's an optional decompiler that produces C-like code for a function, but it generally produces an unreadable mess unless you use it interactively. Either way the output is not re-compilable back into a working exe, but you can easily modify parts of the program in asm. Or you can even compile your new function with a normal compiler, dump the asm code it made, and paste that into the program.

There's an older version of Ida Pro available for free, or you can pirate if you need Hex-Rays, the ability to disassemble unusual things like Gameboy ROMs or embedded device firmware, or some of the newer features.

It probably is, judging from OP's picture.

what's the goal there?

holy shit you're right

Attached: 1521917618610.jpg (314x518, 14K)

>tfw you cannot accuse the person who posted this of being an underage without the risk being wrong.
>tfw there used to be a time where anybody who made such a post would have been accused of baiting.

Attached: 1533155611908.jpg (300x360, 36K)

Even the asm can not be assembled usually, you always have to make some changes. Still the best tool available.

>my favorite fotm thing is not popular anymore
Perfect reason for your to off yourself, senpai-sama, please go ahead with it.

Exactly. I've always just modified the exe in place. Even if you could reassemble stuff you'd have to be super careful not to change the length of many parts, or you'd have a massive task of locating and fixing all code pointers.

>actual grown adults do not recognise this game
>15 years ago
>'he did not know it yet, but the infinity of childhood was to be brief'

you wouldn't be such a pathetic loser if you didn't play video games as a child

says the grown adult posting on the technology board of Jow Forums

you cant

Do this to make shit like this github.com/pret/pokemon-reverse-engineering-tools so you can make shit like this github.com/pret/pokered

>nintendo
>abandonware
never, those greedy nips would never allow it

wats this then?
github.com/pret/pokeruby/blob/master/INSTALL.md oh i see what tools do people use commonly for such tasks?

this is insane

I reversed some old games, then I realized most of the games' engines can be found online. With the games' sdk and stuff it's really easy. I made some cheats and I got popular on some forums, then I got bored and abandoned all that.

why they dont make ps/2 keyboard port?

digimon

i guess