Are ultrabooks a meme?

Is it just a way to pay more for less battery or is the decrease in weight vs performance a reasonable ratio?
Can Jow Forums recommend a decent specced one (for CAD, Matlab, etc) for under 700$?

Attached: 1200px-Asus_x21_ultrabook.jpg (1200x918, 65K)

Other urls found in this thread:

store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=2WE46EA&opt=ABU&sel=DTP
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I got this sexy beat refurbished for $700. Super light and decent performance

Attached: 51CW9Mg54qL._SX425_.jpg (425x275, 10K)

It's more about the form-factor than anything. Good ones can still last up to half a day or more, though.

noice what's that

hp spectre 13 most likely

I got a Lenovo 730 and it runs CAD, MatLab,NLX,Inventor just fine.
The battery sucks but gets the job done

Attached: received_509040719571594.jpg (652x772, 47K)

Would recommend just getting the t, w, or p series Thinkpad that you can afford.

Currently using a T550 with the 3k screen and it's pretty nice. Way under $700.

Just buy one with good reviews faggot. Jesus why do you incels need your hand held for every insignificant decision

I bought a xidu philbook for $220. Works great for uni/Netflix and i can use tablet mode to read

Lol. The fuck outta here

>incels
Get out Caroline

The only ultrabook I've ever had is the Acer Swift 1, which I bought new for 400€ last summer. I didn't even boot on Windows, I immediately installed Lubuntu 18.04 + i3 gap on it. It's quiet, temperature never goes above 65°C, it's light, battery lasts for 7 hours at least. To summarize, I'm very satisfied with it.

ultrabooks are great if you want a really mobile computer, even my cheap asus has ~14h battery (with linux, little less with windows)

Laptops period are for homos, if you have serious shit to do that you can't do with your phone or whatever you go home and do it on a desktop.

I bet 90%+ of laptop owners don't really need them, even now after decades of improvements/minaturization faggotry laptops are still garbage

>hardware always lags behind OS development and any software you want to use
>harder to customize than a desktop and because it's hard to keep costs down the components they ship with are usually hot garbage that freeze and crash every half an hour, you're always, always paying at least 2x for components that are half as good in a desktop especially if you built it yourself
>you will get second-degree burns if you actually leave one on your lap for more than like 10 minutes

how much should one expect in term of weight? Do they all stay under 5 lbs?

>t. basement lurker

some, if not most of us live and work outside our mom's basement

I'm considering an ultrabook for my next laptop. (IE in 4 years). Currently on a slim thinkpad and it's nice. Light and long battery life without compromising as much as an ultrabook.

>you will never make friends with that attitude loser! Check out my new iBook, it only cost me $3,000 and is less powerful than a $300 desktop you can pick up at WalMart, but it's totally worth it so I can update my Instagram and Facebook message my best galpal on the go :D

Attached: Soyboy-1-310x165.jpg (310x165, 17K)

So you cant even fathom a scenario where someone would leave their house? What the fuck

5 lbs is pretty heavy

I'm currently at a hotel since I travel a lot for work. Having a portable laptop is great. Notably because I'm not an idiot and I've got a NAS VPN setup so I can just access 16TB of anime whenever I want. As well as ssh in and get server power if I need ffmpeg or rendering or whatever. Personal cloud, bitch.

Please turn off the internet. Then immediately go outside and talk to another person

Why did you quote me

>laptops period are for homos
>i have a laptop
London? Id be down to top you

As an example of someone who leaves their house as supporting evidence for your argument.

I'm sorry you don't have usernames to tell you who is who, you'll get used to it after a while. In the meantime you can go back.

Its 2018 only tourists think reddit is an insult anymore

Some people have jobs.

I meant go back to ebaumsworld.

Attached: stop_pls.jpg (446x357, 19K)

I'm seriously thinking of getting myself an XPS 13, the only thing REALLY stopping me at the moment is the rumour that a new model with a 3:2 display is on the way, and that's quite appealing to me.

Plus such a major formfactor change may finally fix the noise issue they apparently have

Though on the HP envy? the reviews seem fine, the specs are great (especially the MX150), battery life is good... but trying one out in store i'm really not sure about that trackpad.

"i don't know shit about what i'm talking about", the post

HP Envy £849.00

For BARELY MORE THAN HALF THE SAME PRICE you can buy this desktop from the same manufacturer, which has the same or better specs in virtually every category

store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=2WE46EA&opt=ABU&sel=DTP

Which has a 1TB hard drive (4x the laptop storage) and a more powerful processor.

I hope the slightly larger display is worth paying literally twice the price for something that is at best the same and probably actually gives inferior performance.

Laptopcucks are unironically more embarassing than iToddlers (now that I think about it, there's a lot of overlap between the two groups which really activates my almonds). Thing is, at least iToddlers are often literally retarded, whereas laptopcucks are delusional enough to think they're getting a good deal even after actually knowing the specifications what they're buying.

Yeah I'm sure most Jow Forums posters are IRL jetsetting executives out of a stock photo who need to type long emails while wating to catch their plane or designers who NEED to fuck around with their graphics-heavy PowerBooks on the move

Seriously who are you people trying to kid

O shit

Based retard.

Lmao Got'em !

Ya just go ahead and lug your desktop and monitor around everywhere you absolute fuck

>he's that guy who carries around a PC tower and a monitor with him

Attached: viper_kill_yourself.jpg (600x600, 36K)

Based.

Look at itards seethe

I can't even begin to fathom how much retarded you are. Not everyone has just to play vidya or retarded anime shit which you can use your phone for. How the fuck does your manchild majesty bring his own station around? Oh wait that's right, your mom's basement is just that much big.

Who are you referring to?

>I have a pc monitor, tower and keyboard/mouse in my backpack right now

does it help that it's a really tiny mitx build?

Is there an ultrabook that doesn't thermal throttle? It seems like all of them do.

I only use my laptop for testing new software. Before installing a new windows version on my desktop PC, I install it on my laptop and test it there.

I don't need performance. I need something that's easy to use and mobile. I need to google stuff, read documents, send/read emails, remote into other devices and move from client to client. Sometimes I might have to spin up a virtual machine.

You don't buy a laptop for storage. You buy a server or nas to store your stuff.

lol nope. Even the enterprise grade "workstation" laptops throttle because market wants thin, quiet and classy apple copies.

you are all pussies, 2 lbs more will even help you shed those fatasses you carry around.. or put some muscles in your skelly zoomer backs

1.3-1.4kg laptop are da best. ultrabooks weightin 1kg have problems usually with temps