Why do people continually push the "boundries" of technology in ways that are unneeded?

Why do people continually push the "boundries" of technology in ways that are unneeded?
Why can't people just accept their own mortality and try to make the most out of their lives, rather than artifically extending a meaningless existance?
I mean, who the fuck would actually want this? Imagine having fucking cybernetic implants, how awful would your life be?

Attached: I HAVE NO MOUTH.webm (640x480, 2.86M)

Can you post sauce on that? I think I would have heard of this if it was legit.

because scientists (and by extension most people) value empiricism so highly and think rationalism and mysticism is for pseudo-intellectuals so they never stop to think about the philosophical consequences. they just do the science because that's all that matters and they want to be the guy who's known for coming up with it.

Thinking about this creature makes me hard

also requesting sauce on those fries

literally just google the key words you retards

>make the most out of your life, dude!
>posts on Jow Forums

Imagine your beloved daughter being born in a body that will decay in say 10 years and die. Now imagine there being a tech that can make her live in artificial body. Would you call it unneeded then?

Fuck off atheikike. The deeper they go in, the more people will realise just how stupid their own (((theories))), ((definitions))) and (((catagorisations))) are.

yes, she wasnt meant to live. that sounds cruel but people die and that's life. I saw a story of a kid who was in a coma on life support; the doctors were sure he was brain dead because before he went without oxygen for too long. the parents refused to pull the plug even though he was already practically dead. people have to die, it's the natural cycle of life.

> Why do people continually push the "boundries" of technology in ways that are unneeded?
Because we are too many and we need to invent some work to do
> Why can't people just accept their own mortality and try to make the most out of their lives, rather than artifically extending a meaningless existance?
Because living in a society is boring
> I mean, who the fuck would actually want this? Imagine having fucking cybernetic implants, how awful would your life be?
Possess things is a social status

too lazy faggot

Look at it from a different perspective: being in some kind of accident that wasn't your fault and being paralyzed for the rest of your life. If you're lucky someone will assist you with your suicide, but spending a long time in a chair unable to move doesn't seem like a good time if it just so happens that you are unable to find such a person. Perhaps it is a fitting punishment for those who did it to themselves (I disagree completely, but that's my opinion). But does restoring something that was taken away unfairly really seem that bad?

Why are people content with just their small lives, not even promoting change or improvements but being complacent and generally satisfied by their slow, unchanging lives? Technology should improve our lives, but we can't even have that, because now we're using it as a crutch to bring about that change that we ourselves should push for. And this is ignoring the other problems society faces.

I agree about the mortality thing though (in a selfish way), I wouldn't want to live long.

I agree that we should think harder and debate both the future and present much more, but next to no one is interested - for most, problems only become problems when they make a hole in their chest or income, not before. I wouldn't say being a philosopher pays much, but I could be wrong. You're just told to go to school and get a job, and these scientists did. If your look closer, you will see that a lot of their jobs are simply 'confirm the boss' hypothesis'. Shallow maybe, but not worse than the alternatives. Even if you're just sweeping the streets, building bridges, work in a bar, you're doing it for these same scientists too (and vice versa, I suppose).

Attached: the-virgin-transhumanist-vs-the-chad-overman.png (2352x916, 473K)

i am the only one who think about what the rat's brain had in it's mind, no sensation/feeling/feedback of it's surounding, just the crushing silence and the terrifying darkness
when i see this video i can't picture anything else but it trying to scream while it roll around

Yeah, no... Lets get back to this when u had a kid or two.

t. meatcuck

yes I'll gladly have an abomination of a child just so I can feed my ego about having kids
fuck off, not everyone is as disregarding of consequences as you are.

I'd do anything to protect my kids and provide a good life for them but I wouldn't prop up their corpse with machines because I felt bad

>Why do people continually push the "boundries" of technology in ways that are unneeded?
What kind of dumb question is that? Most people prefer health to sickness, life to death, material possessions to poverty, and less work to more work. People don't NEED to be healthy, live long lives, have many possessions, and have technology to increase their productivity. But they WANT these things and are willing to pay for them

To flip the question, if the boundaries of technology can be pushed, why would people not continually push them?

You have no clue who i am, what i think. You completly missed my point (twice) but maybe it was a problem on my part for not elaborating, or itsjusta language barrier (english is my 3rd language). Still, by the way you respond i see no point in continuing this exchange so feel free to drown in the feeling of your intelectual superiority after you respond to this post with more ofenses while im long gone. Peace

and you have no clue you're responding to two different people

>why would people not continually push them?
because it's a pointless and destructive endevour?
Yay we can live longer, now I get to be Schlomo's wageslave for 20 more years!!
Give me some more HCTZ, ACEi and Metformin doc! I gotta get up at 7am tomorrow to go to work.
Oh and some zoloft because I'm depressed for some reason, who knows why.
Oh and can I get some ambian? I can't go to sleep at night for some reason.
Oh and some Eliquis please, all the starbucks I drink is turning my blood into syrup. Thank you for my prolonged life!

Attached: wholesomeamericanfamily.jpg (640x986, 86K)

>Why can't people just accept their own mortality and try to make the most out of their lives, rather than artifically extending a meaningless existance?
Some of us love our parents and grandparents.

gotta agree with OP so hard
boston dynamics making fucking dogs that can open doors
i can see the potential
but the attitude they are doing it with just loses all kind of seriousness in the project and makes it into a fucking joke
inb4 OP samefag

>not transhumanlet

Because not everyone is a loser like you.

>wasnt meant to
>that's life
lol
why don't you go back to live in african trees, just like you actually are supposed to

Attached: file.png (220x246, 120K)

>t.npc

There's lots of people that could enhance their life quality by a lot if they had access to advanced prosthetics. Today we only have wheelchairs and Darth Vader - tier titanium sticks.
Of course some people do it because humans are curious. But what is recreation or curiosity for some, usually ends up being very practical for others.
I mean, this is fucking obvious.

>Imagine having fucking cybernetic implants, how awful would your life be?
>breaking human limitations
sounds amazing desu

Reminder God made (You) in His image.

>Why can't people just accept their own mortality and try to make the most out of their lives, rather than artifically extending a meaningless existance?

Hurr durr life is meaningless why don't you just kill yourself then faggot

Attached: 1455680888265.jpg (395x395, 15K)

>augmentations will be controlled and ruined by corporations, but gene engineering magically won't
Face it, the only way humanity will truly bare the fruits of transhumanism - mechanical or genetic - is in a post-capitalist society.

I unironically agree with →
I think there's just so much you can do for a fellow human, specially a loved one, but knowing life can end is a great part of what living even means, if someone gets badly injured, for example, I'd try to help, but I would help them get a peaceful and warm death rather than making them live miserably for the rest of their lives.

you know if a corp can make me live another 100 years i might just let them data mine and, record me masturbating for every single day of that century.

unlike all you le edgy depressed faggots i actually enjoy life, and am in no hurry to end it.

its

Not having scientists to start over the entire process of acquiring knowledge and experience after they die and born is a great boost to science. Also, I want to die when I wish my life would end, not when it ends for some bullshit reason like cell division biting into DNA and corrupting it at its tails, or getting randomly killed.

its the same thing that i was thinking. Once i read some (theorically) punishment where some dude did something wrong and they destroy the legs and arms, remove the thong, nose and eyes and was feed troguh a hose. Only "living" biologically but nor connected to the world.

But, the question is: Its there pain?

thats what (((they))) want you to believe.

>have bluetooth brain
>get hacked

You're wrong there buddy, it had a whole bunch of digital whiskers to sniff shit around - and that's a primary sensory input for a rat, too. And it could move around as you could clearly see, in a very rat-like fashion, confirming that this surrogate rat brain actually works like a rat brain in a real rat.

To you that would be like being born as a robot with only your vision functioning. Not a terribly bad scenario, plus to you that would be perfectly natural.

Guys if we didnt push the boundaries of technology we would still be happily living in caves with our 20 years life expectancy

Yeah guys cmon lets go back the time where mere diarrhea could be fatal, we were so much more better off back then.

Attached: 1479671258515.png (598x442, 479K)

Old shit. CIA has been doing this for at least decades.

What's the meaning then?

This. Jow Forums is full of 13 year old reddit retards who don't know what it's like to live, or why it's a good thing that our lifespans are not only finite but very short. They all need to go back.

>unneeded

Who died and made you the authority on what is needed and what is not, faggot?
Just because you hate your pathetic life doesn't mean everyone wants to deteriorate in body and mind just because their body is designed to do it.
The human body (like any other) has evolved to stay in a top shape just long enough to reproduce because it's the most efficient use of resources from an evolutionary standpoint, there if nothing philosophical about it so spare me this spiritual bullshit about "tampering with how things are meant to be" or "going against the natural order."
Evolution does not give a shit about what we want or feel, and besides, some of the limitations are too fundamental to ever change as a result of natural mutations. It's up to us.
So if we can, why the fuck would we NOT push the boundaries of the human body and mind? You're already surrounded by crutches that make up for many of our limitations. You have a phone because you can't receive or transmit on radio frequencies on your own. You have a car because you can't run at 80 MPH or carry half a ton of stuff. You have clothes because you can't withstand the outdoors naked. And the funny thing is that history is full of luddite retards like you who always yammered to anyone who would listen to them about how each of these things is wrong and against the nature.
Cybernetics are only the next logical step in the tool-using nature of humanity, we only have to overcome the childish squeamishness about altering our bodies.

The meaning of life is to leave impact, so that your name never gets forgotten. Lifespan has nothing to do with this.
/thread

>/threading your own post
The only thing you have in this world is your consciousness. When it stops existing, then from your point of view the world itself ceases to exist.
You have to stay alive in the first place in order to even be able to give a shit about things like legacy or the impact you made on the world.
It's like you argued with someone which OS will be the best in a world where electricity doesn't exist.

Sorry, I dont follow middle eastern religions

This is retarded. Every one's name will eventually be forgotten. All life will eventually cease.

I just want to transfer my consciousness to the Internet.
Eternal shitposting

Humans make up the meaning which means you get to choose, those who say its meaningless are NPC's with no imagination, or drive.

Attached: Div31hIU8AAwF9t.jpg (549x539, 27K)

Look man, I just want a sweet robo-bod and maybe an arm cannon.

>Humans make up the meaning which means you get to choose
muh existentialism

You are a drop of piss in a massive universe. And you think you can give meaning to all this with your limited human capabilities? Think harder.

Your choice is to be a drop of piss in a massive universe.

Attached: 1456874597390.jpg (1284x980, 259K)

Attached: our future is set.gif (500x206, 1.08M)

Not dying. No life = no meaning of life

Not a choice.

NPC's dont get a choice

They just wanted to be loved and respected like everyone else, but that love put in never seems to come back...

>68023708
That's how some people make the most of their lives.
>>good morning user! Did you remember to take your organ authentication pills? You need to take your pills to verify that you have made payments to your organic services providers. user you are low on authentication pills for your Ur-in-luck TM kidneys excretion service and your Beats by Dr.Dre TM heart circulation service. WARNING! You have not purchased alcohol detoxification services for your Microsoft Xbox Liver TM, please buy a service plan immediately or you may damage any of the organs operated by your organic services providers incurring fines and recall for damaging them. WARNING INVALID LICENSE CODE, BIOPIRACY ATTEMPT DETECTED! You have voided multiple EULAs by your organic services providers and safe mode has been activated so that your organs can be recalled. Please remain calm, your movement service has been disabled for violation of EULA. Please take the time before recall agents arrive to choose new organic service providers to ensure continuity of organic services. ERROR: no organic service providers found!

if you think like this please, please, please kill yourself

or move into a forest and never interact with anyone ever again

I want to live forever

>NPC's

Attached: 1516107129047.png (625x773, 111K)

I think it might be one of Kevin Warwick's experiments.

I wish that was me.

I would be failing all of my ancestors all the way back to the protein soup that gave rise to life itself by permitting her to live. All of the ones who reproduced, and all of the relatives whose branches ended as a dead end.

It would be an affront to life itself.

It is. They also got the rat neurons to fly an f22 in simulation, and you can literally right now build a robot that is controlled by a simulation of the 302 neurons in a nematode brain running on a raspberry pi.

You'd think with all the money going into machine learning they'd put more development into this, but I guess neurons don't take well to server rooms.

The fact that it doesn't matter makes it all the more pleasing, everything's relative

Attached: Virgin GMO Chad Posthuman.png (2082x1024, 201K)

I'm pretty sure the mouse is just piloting the car.

> the nihilist defeats himself, as always
if nothing matters, why are you making an argument? boredom? fuck off

Even though I think nihilism is probably correct, I agree that living as a nihilist is retarded, and I fool myself into thinking it does matter. I recognize that's the only way to live a decent life. I'm just saying, that doesn't change the cold hard truth.

I't not like it would be a whole thinking mouse brain, probably just a small portion of one.

Well at least this is better than the
>"duhhhh I can umpbload my conchusness"

>Hurr Durr unless you tell me the exact meaning right now for all of life (which must fit in one post btw) then there obviously isn't one. If no one knows something that thing must not exist

I was more railing against people that are sure of it in either direction.

I sorta agree with him.
I don't even understand the assumption that there is a meaning to life. Does there need to be? Now if the question is "why do I live" then I get that. It's to do things that you enjoy because the thought of pleasure might be better than the certainty of death, that's why most people kill themselves: because they don't enjoy their situation. But if you really think of yourself as being so low that you don't understand your purpose, then most would agree that someone of lesser stature (financially, socially, idk) should serve those above them. So just get a job or something.

Attached: hopes.png (692x687, 238K)

>hurr life is meaningless why do we do things
No shit faggot, of course it's meaningless. If you can't get past that though just kill yourself.

>that backwards forwards movement
>KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME
something uncanny about this

yes, lazy faggot. Indeed