User, why do you use Vim when a modern superior modal editor alternative already exists?

user, why do you use Vim when a modern superior modal editor alternative already exists?

Attached: kakoune_logo_full.png (262x262, 38K)

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/16604780
kakoune.org/why-kakoune/why-kakoune.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because I know tons of useful shortcuts on vim and I have my .vimrc configured perfectly for my purposes.

What in the FUCK is that? K-edit? Is it part of the KDE suite?

The same shortcuts exist on Kak too. And you can edit kakrc to configure it as you do with Vim.

No. It is a modal lightweight editor similar to Vim, with a lot of useful plugins installed by default. In Vim you edit in dark, on Kakuone you see what you are doing.

Nothing to do with KDE.

Sounds like something a shill would say.

I'm sticking with Neovim.

>not just writing everything in nano

>not just writing everything in nano

change scares us soiboys go away

kak = kek

Ok here is one example. Say you want to delete from the cursor till the occurance of i. In Vim, you type "dti" without quotes. And you will not know what got deleted until Vim had already deleted it, if there was another i before the one you aimed at.

In Kak, first specify what to delete and then the delete command. So if you type 'ti' it first highlights till the i. If it was the one you were aiming for, press 'd' to delete, else repeat.

You don't have to work in dark.

did I also mention it comes with Clippy™

so why the fuck would I go through that effort when I already have vim available and configured?

so basically it's just vim training wheels for babby

i dont, I use emacs.
And I have no respect to people using editors created after the 80's: it's all made to mousefag plebeians, who are too lazy to master an specific canonical tool.

Vimfags and mousefags are the people who use the arrows to go to the beginning of the text in a command line

>an specific
You truly mastered the use of the keyboard.

I'm only just getting into vim, convince me to switch.

Terminals doesn't only support Emacs shortcuts. You can use Vim shortcuts too, fagget.

the irony is because it should be 'a specific'?
sorry, im not a burger or a knifelet, english doesn't flow so well.

Because Kak beats Vim everytime by doing the same task in less number of keystrokes.

You are shitskin.

of course they do. are you retarded?
Of course terminals doesn't support M-x butterfly, but all the basic moving/yanking commands works on any unix terminal.
Yeah, you can use vim shortcuts, but you can also make windows run on a fucking kindle. It's just not the default, and would suck to have to do it every time you encounter one.

you mean like "vfi" then "x" in vim?

strawpoll.me/16604780

yeah, and you are pic related white masterrace

Attached: 56percent.jpg (1280x960, 203K)

>no windows version

Attached: suuuuuabo.gif (180x180, 2.08M)

Vim has always been and will be my favorite editor. But it is so old now. It's not like Vim is not capable but Vim has a lot of ways of doing things that can be more streamlined and made better rather than adding plugin on top of plugins.

Vim is mature and very robust carrying Unix's legacy into the modern world. Kak is newer implementation of the same concept that Vim is based on -- modal editing.
Yes. But Kak is one less keystroke and more intuitive. The default mode is kinda like the visual mode.

>delete until next i
Vs
>until next i, delete
Is that an editor for short old green niggas?

op BTFO

>But Kak is one less keystroke
vim BTFO

Tools like Kak are not meant for faggets who use shit operating system.

No plugin ecosystem.

>Selection-first grammar
>Stupid easy multi-selection
>Common-sense features built-in that require plugins in Vim
>Kak plugins pipe data from bash commands

Kakoune is bae.

now that is some evidence based statement. thanks, you have completely convinced me with your absolute truth

I'll give it a try. I can always uninstall later.
The one less keystroke isn't really a waterproof argument, though.

>Using text editors to make any useful project/software/script

There are things that are called IDEs
Unless user:
>Muh vim/atom with plugins work fine for me and they look better than your vim and atom

you should use an ide that was made for the language that you work on.

stop being fucking kids

"delete until next i" sounds better than "until next i, delete", but it doesn't come with the visual feedback after "until next i" when you make sure if you got the i you were aiming for, then you "delete".

i guess they are not for employed people either

>The one less keystroke isn't really a waterproof argument, though.
I am not saying it is. Here is better arguments: kakoune.org/why-kakoune/why-kakoune.html

Show me a IDE for python better than emacs elpy. You can't, not because you don't even know what am I talking about, but because it doesn't exist.

>wah i can't plan ahead
Do you happen to be melaninically enriched?

When are you going to post the superior one?

>It's just not the default, and would suck to have to do it every time you encounter one.

Assuming you use Emacs on Linux, by the same argument when you buy a laptop, it must suck to install a Linux everytime. Because that is even more hassle. And so you better use Windows with the shitty Command Prompt that it comes with.

>IDE
>Emacs
>Let me jam a text editor with plugins to pretend its a professional IDE like Pycharm

What are you fucking stupid?

Attached: 240npl.jpg (268x284, 9K)

I don't use Vim in first place

I have been buying laptops with linux since 2010, it's cheaper.

>Pycharm
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Just so you know, you have nigger-tier IQ.

Linux:
>Kakoune
>Eclipse
>Vim
>Emacs

Windows:
>Notepad
>Visual Studio

Why are FOSSfags so bad at naming their software?

If you can look a screen full of text and precisely point out all the i without any visual feedback, then I guess you don't even need Vim. Ed will be a better match.

>spams haha
>says nigger

Got the fat person that browse Jow Forums and have no college education or any knowledge about programming except how his emacs looks kool.

fucking trash

Attached: 1539244637380.jpg (427x427, 21K)

Pers isn't, but it seems you're.
You speak of terminal, when you mean shell.
You probably don't even know which shell you're using.
You probably don't even know what shell is.
You actually mean either those using readline (such as bash) or zsh.
You don't know that Vi keybindings are accessible in those by merely doing `set -o vi`.
You don't know this can be trivially enabled for every session in inputrc or zshrc.
You don't know that there are shells not having such interactive features.
You don't know POSIX doesn't need those features.
You don't know that modern terminals allow you to use the mouse for movement.
You think that using keyboard and mouse together is hard.
You think that learning two different sets of keybindings is hard.

>Visual Studio
What is this? A Photoshop alternative?

It's a studio to visually edit code.

>projecting this hard

bro, I am gonna be serious now.
Stop using pycharm and invest some time mastering vim or emacs. You are wrong about the 'jamming with plugins' stuff, elpy just takes "M-x package-install elpy" to be ready.

I am telling you this because if you actually use Pycharm and takes it seriously, you are NEVER gonna make it. You can ignore all I said, or give it a try. And if you do the latter, you will thank me later.

But I do use Visual Studio Code, why do you ask

nice browser

Do you use Windows Botnet with that VS Code Botnet too?

Whats good about it

not him but i do
pretty comfy after 5 years of vim on buggy linux

Modern faster alternative to Vim with useful plugins already present.

Can I extend it infinitely though

Brainlets who can configure Linux say it is buggy.

Then it will've been called Visual Studio Code Editor, or in Linux world `visce`.

>can
that Freudian slip tho

I guess not.

well, i have better things to do than configuring Linux for 10 hours to make it see wifi on my new laptop

There's no need to put Code Editor in the name just like Vi simply stands for Visual and the rest is implied by smart users who arne't braindead.

There's literally nothing to configure but your user and password on an ubuntu.If you can't even manage that you will have your difficulties with windows or osx, my de/g/enerate friend

> I am a brainlet who cannot configure my own computer according to my needs. I want big guys from large tech company to do it for me because I thinking hurts my brain.

You have to configure for 10 hours it only once per install.

so like doing
vti or vfi in vim
in vim

>You have to configure for 10 hours it only once per install

...per every shit that needs configuration, which is definitely more than one
and im not even talking about ricing
i've been there and its fun if you have lots of spare time, but now i like to focus more about getting shit done

call me brainlet if you want, don't really care what some guy on taiwain cartoons site thinks about me
godspeed

I need more info frankly

Does it have lisp stuff?

>perro kaka

Attached: perro caca.jpg (1521x1141, 416K)

?

but I do use kakoune

ok friend
i will try this text editor

I seriously tried kak, but it doesn't have the tpope plug-ins so I can't use it.

It's really impressive in its own right, but I can't afford to lose all my config just to make visual mode the default.

Also, no splits or integrated file manager is a deal breaker.

OP, tell me how to make it fully monochrome then I'll switch. it as easy as "set t_Co=0" on vim.

Also why would anyone who wants a modern vim alternative would switch to kakoune and not to vis? Vis is more similar to vim.

I sometimes wonder if posts like this aren't made by resetera diversity hires who are "past meritocracy" in lame attempts to gaslight Jow Forums

It took me more like 15 hours on my latest laptop

You'll sell the light once you have used Acme, no other editor is so extensible and productive

The only way it's special is that you can execute stuff by clicking it. You can add that functionality to neovim by writing a simple script