Alright Jow Forums, time for a backup

Alright Jow Forums, time for a backup.

What's the best external hard drive to backup all your files to?
Can you recommend any decent cheap HDD with about 2TB of storage, or do you have any alternative way of backing up?

Attached: hdd.png (600x635, 317K)

Other urls found in this thread:

rml527.blogspot.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I jot my bytes down in a notebook

there's no such thing as decent and cheap HDD
get a NAS to wich you can connect remotly

But nas is no good without cold storage backups.
Why not just have cold storage backups if you don't need high availability?

>But nas is no good without cold storage backups.
i don't see why

i just need an external hdd to store my photos, videos and old files on. i'm just gonna backup files to it every once in a while and then let it rest on the shelf for months. speed is not important for me.

jeez you sound like a boomer who just want a dumb, watered down solution
just get the first consumer grade HDD you'll see at your local store

yeah man fucking old boomers storing their data on dumb ol' hdds right?

It's like they think if they put data in the cloud, some kind of event is going to stop them having access to their backups, like that's ever going happen.
Stupid boomers.

yes exacly, your boomer mindset doesn't see the possibilities
first of all, you data is way better secured on a nas, because of RAID configurations
second, most NASs allow you to connect remotly, wich mean you can share it with your family, so instead of havin your family photos on a shelf in a drive that will take dust end die without doing nothing because you took cheap shit, you could share all this stuff realtime with your family and revive your dead bond because you spend time using your computer to play the same chess game since years and reading new about health and investment
you just don't think about the possibilities, you just want blindly something, fuck boomers man

Kids these days don't think something will happen because it never has. Life's gonna bite you in the ass and then fuck you over.

Don't know price .
Toshiba drives are pretty reliable.

Probably doesn't apply to op but NAS backups are only good for convenience. Business environments are targets for remote desktop attacks, and ransomware. People routinely get fucked because NAS backups are their only answer, then those get encrypted.

best: external RAID enclosure running RAID 1

normie-tier but should get the job done: some external HDD which ISN'T seagate.

I've been using two 2TB WD Elements for over three years now as NAS drives on different locations. Neither have failed on me yet.

>keeping your backups connected to the mains

what's a cheap 2 drive usb raid1 enclosure? and what hdds should i be looking for? was thinking 4tb ones since i don't have a ton of data.

Anything WD OR TOSHIBA for storage
DON'T EVER BUY SEAGATE

>2tb
2tb get whatever.

This, basically. 1 and 2TB drives (1 or 2 platters) are pretty hard to fuck up, even if you buy cheap (Seagate/Toshiba).
Drives with 3 platters are a risk, 4+ platters is asking for it to fail, regardless of manufacturer. And even if you pay for higher end stuff, it's still likely to fail, the extra price goes to the shitty refurb you'll get back from RMA.

This.

are there 4tb drives with 1 or 2 platters? is there a wiki/guide somewhere with info on numbers of platters (and also laptop drives w/platter numbers)?

>are there 4tb drives with 1 or 2 platters?
No. The largest platters at this point are around 1.33TB from WD and 1.25TB from Seagate (Toshiba is irrelevant, they're discount rehashed Hitachi designs and that well is dry - hint: they don't have consumer grade drives above 3TB). Going above those platter sizes requires changes in magnetic recording, which has been a bit of a sticking point for the last half-decade or so for all manufacturers.

For 4TB you have the newer WD Red models (WD40EFRX-68N32N0) with 3x 1.33TB platters and 6 heads (older models were 4/8). Fair warning: these drives are mechanically identical to WD Blues and the former Greens, and *do not support power management*, they will park their heads whenever they damn well please and you *can not* change it like you could with WDIDLE3 before.

Everything else at that capacity is still 4/8. For 5TB, the ST5000DM000 is a 4/8 drive with 1.25TB platters.

Helium-filled drives are more reliable in general, so you can get higher platter counts there, but one thing you'll notice quite readily is how many 8TB+ models have "archive" or some other iffy naming somewhere. They're not reliable enough to run 24/7 without significantly affecting their failure rate.

>is there a wiki/guide somewhere with info on numbers of platters (and also laptop drives w/platter numbers)?
Sort of, this guy's blog contains a significant list of drives per manufacturer, model and platter size:
rml527.blogspot.com/
Not the easiest to navigate, but it's generally up to date. If it's not, post a comment.