Dynamically typed languages

>dynamically typed languages

Attached: nothanks.jpg (661x949, 127K)

>Weakly typed languages

>super verbose statically typed languages

I was working on designing a scripting language for my gaming engine hobby project and I literally could not think of a single reason why I shouldn't use static typing.

Thats rusr right?

must be a shit game for sure if you uncapable of finding a reason for why its better

static typing is only better if you have a powerful type system

higher kinded types and rank-N types are a must

static typing is only better for performance

hi EFL

what's the point in a statically typed scripting language?
might aswell use your base language

>and I literally could not think of a single reason why I shouldn't use static typing.
How is the embedding/interfacing going?

>what's the point in a statically typed scripting language?
less mistakes and more expressivenes
>t. brainlet

>higher kinded types and rank-N types are a must
*tips fedora mlady*

this

dynamic typing is more "expressive"
that doesn't really answer the question though, if your scripting language is statically typed like your base language then why does it exist? embedded languages are dynamically typed because they offer you something your base language doesn't

Modifying game interface could be really nice even with static types if player can do it on a game that is already compiled.

the gap between pl expressiveness with/without hkts is as wide as the gap between with/without any parametric polymorphism
and rank-n types is a pretty low barrier, you can even do it in java albeit in a pretty ghetto fashion

you can compile C++ at runtime or just run a data-driven interface
the entire point of a scripting language is to offer you more expressiveness at the cost of speed and usually robustness

you're one of those dude who compiles static typed langs into dynamically typed ones and blames his incompetency on lang?

>dynamic typing is more "expressive"
"no"
>that doesn't really answer the question though, if your scripting language is statically typed like your base language then why does it exist?
close no compile times, managed memory, better tools (in case of C#), limited forms of sandboxing, easy mode asynchronous execution
>embedded languages are dynamically typed because they offer you something your base language doesn't
see the first answer. an actually well designed static type system beats a dynamic one any time except for scenarios where you want to keep the language as small as possible.

>you can compile C++ at runtime
with all of its drawbacks
>or just run a data-driven interface
which usually ends up being a pain to debug and soon enough will include a shit tier version of imperative programming

I'm a purple guy.
Not a fan of transcompilers because the have the biggest leak of abstraction by design.

Attached: Bd9QjQQCAAAgOv1.png (589x596, 84K)

You can't statically type an interpreted language.

>What is HUGS?

Javascript is by far the best language to use
Is there anything equivalent but faster?

try it, it addicted

>using any typing at all

A statically typed language compiles slower than a dynamic one because it has to check types at compile time. Dynamic typing is objectively more expressive than static - that's not an attack or emotional statement anything, static is good for security and speed, dynamic frees you from having to worry what types things are so it's more expressive. Again the point is you write a scripting language that's different to your base languages so you gain the expressive advantages of a higher level language - so what are the "drawbacks" of C++ compared to your statically typed scripts?