Why chose OpenBSD?
it is a superior OS.

Why not Linux?
it got fucking CoCed.

Is this a trashy shitpost?
Yes.

Attached: openbsd.png (1280x833, 192K)

Other urls found in this thread:

security.stackexchange.com/questions/11470/references-to-issues-of-putting-backdors-into-opensource-like-openbsd-by-fbi-o
openbsdfoundation.org/activities.html
openbsd.org/innovations.html
fuchsia.googlesource.com/
lwn.net/Articles/767137/
twitter.com/KarelGardas/status/1049337213291565057
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

OpenBSD is a meme
>Filesystem
default FS doesn't even support SSD TRIM, and I don't think OpenBSD supports anything modern like ZFS or BTRFS.
>Security
"Only two remote holes in the default install!!!!!!!"
Yay!
I hope you realize that this literally only applies to a base system install with absolutely no packages added. In other words, not exactly representative or meaningful towards... anything really
>Sustainability
A few years ago, OpenBSD was actually in danger of shutting down because they couldn't keep the fucking lights on. How could anyone see this as a system they could rely on, when it could be in danger of ending at any time?
>Standards-compliance
"B-But OpenBSD is written in strictly standards-compliant C! Clearly that's better than muh GNU virus!"
So you're not allowed to create extensions to the standard? You should only implement the standard and nothing more? Keep in mind that this is nothing like EEE, as the GNU extensions are Free Software, with freely available source code, as opposed to proprietary shite. People should be allowed to innovate and improve things.
If you're gonna be anal about standards-compliance, then why let people make their own implementations anyway? Why not have the standards organizations make one C implementation and force everyone to use it?

Attached: 475d88325e3088dad1e2034bc463aeb1c002872f504c1ab217e7e4f09c94d31f.jpg (221x250, 5K)

Just use Slackware or CRUX.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

nice ctrl C ctrl V

He is right tho.

I’ve been waiting for over a week for an openbsd thread! Post your favorite man pages

Sure he has some points but i prefer security over other things. Also this was more of a bring back openbsd general thread than a openbsd is best thread

>i prefer security over other things
But wasn't openbsd compromised by the FBI and full of binary blobs?

>his whole argument is a pasta
Go back to ricing your Arch desktop.

I have never actually heard of this can i have a source?

>inb4 OS shouldn't be responsible for bits being flipped
Since the apparent takeover of the Linux project by trannies, there has been a lot of talk about moving to other operating systems, with one of the main choices being OpenBSD. One of the criticisms of this OS is that its filesystem does nothing to protect against bitrot and data corruption in general. OpenBSD fans have responded to this by claiming that storage device makers are to be blamed for failures. Others have suggested that it is a result of 'bullshit writes' from large and bloated programs such as browsers.
To be fair, I agree that modern browsers are shit, but I've been noticing this as a trend from OpenBSDfags on here. Shifting the blame from the OS to someone else. It's hard drive manufacturers, and if it's not them, it's browser devs.
Pointing fingers doesn't solve problems. Actions do.
What can hard drive manufacturers do to make their hardware failure-proof? Is that even possible with today's technology? No manufacturer has done it in the history of these computer components. What evidence makes you think they can do it now?
What can browser developers do to fix their software? If they do not make their browsers as bloated as they are, 90% of the web will stop working, and that would prevent many people from doing what they want/need to do, since everything is done on the web. Perhaps there is room for a discussion on how the bloat got this bad and how to reverse it, but as it stands, the WWW won't be changing any time soon, and because of that, browsers can't change any time soon.
So it is clear that regardless of who should be 'rightfully' responsible for the issue of bits being flipped, there is only one party that can do anything about it, and that is the OS developers.

It has been posted here time and time again user.

Thats not a official source

The links dude, just search for the archive. I remember there was a CNET link and I believe ars technica too.

>installurl
>pkg_*
>nothing came of code auditing for alleged FBI backdoor
security.stackexchange.com/questions/11470/references-to-issues-of-putting-backdors-into-opensource-like-openbsd-by-fbi-o

>Spook says OpenBSD is compromised
>Spook says
Do you always do as niggers say?

I would also like to point out that they are planning (or i think are already working on) on porting hammer2

>BSD shill threads
This is why BSD is a cancer community.

Attached: 1531510661365.gif (240x180, 1.94M)

When this entire board is just linux shills

>too stupid to use *BSD
>too stupid to know that the BSDs are separate projects and not one "durr cummunitee"

Can i play GTA5 on freeBSD?

nice b8

Please feel free to install all the BSDs and discover for yourself what a piece of shit they are as a desktop os.
The only question that needs to be asked... the question this thread always fails to answer is "Who is paying these persistent shills, because nobody in their right fucking mind would shill this utter garbage for free?"

if you dont like it dont use it

I'm just here to encourage folks to try BSD.
>so they can see for themselves what a waste of time it is.

Yes, but you need to install wine fir-

I have plain openbox with pcmanfm. My current problems are:
1.Pcmanfm doest recognize installed applications so I cannot choose default application to open something. i know I could fix this for every file type woth xdg-mime in cli just wondering if there is an easier fix.
2.I still have to figure out how removable media MTP and trash can work with pcmanfm on openbsd. I have gvfs and libmtp. Still have to configure hotplugd scripts. Any pointers to make this easier for me. Im not in tech just a casual user.
3.I had to disable acpi in my kernel so it doesnt crash for an unknown reason. Just wondering if I could have options like suspend/ wake up on my laptop.
4.Since I disabled acpi im using xrandr to set brightness does disabling acpi also disable xbacklight from my vga driver? Xbacklight source query is empty.

My 2014 laptop is too new for openbsd

Running it on an X200 right now. Using mostly suckless tools. Works great as an everyday OS.

>2 holes is nothing to brag about
There is a lot of shit in the default install. As an example, how many systems include a capable web server out of the box? There is a lot of surface area actually. Don't pretend otherwise.
>A few years ago, OpenBSD was actually in danger of shutting down
Far from true now. Donations are on the rise. Corporate sponsorships as well. Don't take my word for it. Look yourself:
openbsdfoundation.org/activities.html
>Rant about c standards compliance being bad
That's just personal taste. What actually matters is how high quality the openbsd codebase is and that they continually audit every piece of their source tree (everything in default install).

>openbsd innovations openbsd.org/innovations.html

BTW I have you to thank why I use openbsd now. Thanks.

Attached: theo_de_based.jpg (200x198, 3K)

>He is right tho.
No not even close
This
Lern2serchfagot
This is an openbsd dev
>OpenBSD has vscsi(4) and an iscsid(8) initiator, so, you could have a FFS filesystem on top of a remote ZFS pool.. but you'll have to work out how to boot with that setup, if possible.
>There is also softraid(4) mirroring (RAID1/RAID5), which can likely be used with multiple partitions on the same physical disk.. you may be sacrificing both space and performance, however. If you can add another disk, it might be worth doing this.
>Also, if you use an mfi(4) hardware RAID controller, support for periodic patrol reads or "scrub" was added to bioctl(8) in -current.
>I've never had any drives lose their content after being on a shelf for any considerable amount of time, so it's not a real concern IMHO. But, you may want to find a remote file backup service, and use it regularly.

>But, you may want to find a remote file backup service, and use it regularly.
"Our OS is so shit, you should just use a (((cloud))) service running on a different OS."

A fucking Microkernel in 2018? That concept is dead, only Apple is stupid enough to still do it.

OpenBSD doesn't use a microkernel. Where did you get this idea?
>That concept is dead
You should tell that to Google
fuchsia.googlesource.com/

Attached: google-new-os-Fuchsia.jpg (1000x800, 100K)

You are equating listing options with saying there are none. You clearly read the whole quote. Stop being a disingenuous faggot. It doesn't help your cause.

Attached: circuit_board.jpg (640x360, 349K)

Post yfw Linux cucks don’t get to use lumina fully featured

Attached: 71AD67BE-A656-4848-9416-5E8839CD3401.jpg (630x421, 232K)

>remote backup == cloud
Imagine being this retarded.

Actually, they can. Read the feature table: Lumina on GNU/Linux can pretty much do the same as Lumina on OpenBSD.

>I think your computer science teachers are still teaching you from books written in the '80s, when the word "micro-kernel" was associated with a future utopia. --Theo de Raadt circa 2000 CE

OpenBSD is way ahead of you there.

Serious question here, how is Lumina these days? I tried it on OpenBSD and FreeBSD a couple years ago and it just felt sluggish and unresponsive. Especially on FreeBSD. It seemed like something with a lot of potential but in need of a lot of fine tuning. Just wondering how far it's come since then.

>Lumina
They literally use the fact that they can get cucked by corporations as a SELLING POINT

Attached: FuckBSD.png (895x429, 326K)

>OpenBSD is a meme
fuck you arch fag

So? It's their hard work. They can license it any way they like. When you write some software worth licensing, you can do likewise.

not one mention of Unveil()?
lwn.net/Articles/767137/

the absolute state of this non-general

They were cucked tho, same with OBSD when Apple jacked the pf firewall then wrapped their own proprietary license around the new features they wrote, locking out the orig pf devs. I didn't get Stallman until that happened

IT'S COMING

twitter.com/KarelGardas/status/1049337213291565057

Attached: Doesj1UW4AEKDGp.jpg_large.jpg (640x480, 50K)

>Please feel free to install all the BSDs and discover for yourself what a piece of shit they are as a desktop os.

they aren't good at anything though.

Better sandbox the sandboxes around your sandbox.
But ey! At least non microkernels are faster!

I still fail to see the advantages of openBSD vs dragonflyBSD appart from beong able to run in ARM

it's a bastion host os, nothing else. same reason blackberry is still a thing.

It's alright, it's what I use on FreeBSD. I don't notice any slowness.

no

no

Please feel free to install all the BSDs and discover for yourself what a piece of shit they are as a desktop os.
Everything's shit as a desktop OS; I've found OpenBSD to be the least shitty.

>only Apple is stupid enough to still do it

Attached: serveimage.png (2000x1955, 300K)

What makes you think it'll be any good out of it. Google is big, so they have money for R&D, I think they reasoning is it'lll very likely fail, but if it succeed it will be a big thing.

>a superior OS
>a superior OS
>a superior OS
>a superior OS

Attached: 1517030992.png (748x753, 770K)

stallman.jpg
absolutely proprietary

Are you retarded? OpenBSD is a full blown mature OS while DragonflyBSD is a research project. Read the docs user.

>not one mention of Unveil()?
>lwn.net/Articles/767137/
Cudos user. I was about to say the same. Read anons, READ!!!

Whoch perform better, with superior filesystem, bigger userland and with an approach to multiprocessor better than a fucking giant lock

You don't even know what giant lock means.

Meantime OpenBSD has unlocked many syscalls and is working on unlocking more.

PLZ RESPOND

Attached: ching_dong_chong.jpg (802x1200, 131K)

>locking out the orig pf devs

pf is still freely available to anyone who wants to use it. Where's the problem?

Bitch, dragonflyBSD is at the front line of implementing a lockfree kernel, the others are just copying the code they create.