I genuinely do not understand why people prefer vim over any other modern editor

I genuinely do not understand why people prefer vim over any other modern editor
What pros does it have compared to VSCode or Emacs?

Attached: jJgjc.png (1382x738, 153K)

Whatever. You mean to say you understand everything else. Have a (You)...

i couldn't figure out how to get emacs working in a terminal

Holy brainlet

>*loads 500 mb electron app*
>*flosses*
>*dabs*

It does everything a text editor should do and more.
After you get used to the keybinds they become second nature.:wq

Attached: (((You))).jpg (250x250, 6K)

>what does vim have compared to VSCode
like 900mb less ram

>emacs
>or
>emacs filename

u forgot the ! fag

>not :x
faggot

:earlier 10m

Attached: 1511725133058.jpg (225x225, 7K)

I would only use 5% of vims power. I don't need multi-line editing, editing 10000 files at once, macros and so on. Basically it's a overkill. And I don't like insert mode.

:help quit
dumb ass
The :wq virgin
The :x Chad

you don't understand vim or its appeal

Fair, but restricting yourself to only a keyboard and fucking arrows is pajeet level for me.
do you work from a 2003 shitbox?
is portability the main factor?

Vim is unusable as an ide. Gotta install tons of plug-ins and tweaks.

bash is the ide, vim is the editor
>you must be working from a shitbox if you don't like shitty bloated programs
please kys

TEXT

OBJECTS

Such a shockingly simple concept but vi is the only thing that handles them so cleanly and quickly.

> implying VSCode is usable at all without the 10000 plugins necessary to even execute it
Do you use notepad user?

You can use you're mouse in vim.
:set mouse=a and you can drag2resize your help windows and splits etc.

xcode.

vim is better at navigating text
for ideal setup with low effort, use a vim plugin for VSCode/eclipse/whatever for all the positives of an IDE and vim in one

Yeah, but does anybody ever bother? It feels like keyboard is just faster. I have it turned on and I use it rarely and that only when I'm switching from using mouse in some other program to vim.

cat

Yeah, this. Intellij with vim is top tier.

>he uses a text editor with a pseudo GUI made of ANSI escape codes interpreted by a terminal application which uses unicode characters to display this pseudeo GUI on a strict character grid layout where everything has the same size and is limited in its flexibility and usefulness
it's okay for editing config files on a remote machine via ssh, though (although you could do the same by mounting the remote file system via sshfs and open the files locally in a real text editor)

> OOP IDEs
stop breathing

>pajeet needs an ide to help him understand his program
white men can make programs with pen and paper

Exatcly my point in this thread.

>all the positives of an IDE
I'm autistic and disable all the IDE cruft anyway. Seeing an autocomplete window pop up triggers me.

Set it so autocomplete only pops up when you hit control+space.

> Implying the only reason people use IDE is cause they cant program
> autocomplete,automatic interface signature functions,etc
I guess you never programmed anything more complex than a console calculator faggot

those things are just for people who are either lazy or don't understand the project they're working with

I work with commercial software that has several thousand classes and methods. I don't know what kind of baby projects you're working on but auto completion is useful.

nice larp
also >remembering variable and function names is too hard for my pajeet brain

Enjoy your SAP then.

>Fair, but restricting yourself to only a keyboard and fucking arrows is pajeet level for me.
restricting yourself to a shit toolchain holds your skills down

t. Hipster web "developer"

>projecting your insecurities onto user

I am hardcore vim fan and my keyboard doesn't even have arrow keys, yet I find resizing splits with my mouse more convenient desu

> assuming that in big corporations you have the time to memorize legacy code, functions and interfaces.
> typing j-TAB-u-TAB-I-TAB vs import java.util.IdentityHashMap;
Ok chad

Said the guy with the autism

>my brain is tiny
>so I use bloated software to compensate
yikes
this is true

t. developer
Back to work; Raghav needs the ReportBeanModuleFactoryMirror tests to pass before the weekend.

Geany is an underrated IDE

(PURE DADCORE)
Autists like you are the reason I have 0 pity for boomer devs.

Attached: 1536795596028.png (550x422, 43K)

It just works and is easy to configure. It uses incredibly less resources when compared to editors like you mentioned in the OP. I just did a clean install of my dev machine and vim took like 20 seconds to have it reconfigured the way I like. Also can use it from the virtual console and don't need x running or installed.

I'm 26 years old

Yeah, better waste my work time reading John Papa's blog about the new hot ui web framework which changes every month. And then porting applications every month to a new framework.

>"yeah better use this program so I don't use as much ram as this other LMAOBLOATED program, regardless of which one is actually better from a production standpoint"
>MEM USE: 1.14 Gb / 64 Gb

Attached: 1516303422454.png (493x708, 649K)

> I write all my code without any IDE and I need validation

Attached: pleditor.png (330x430, 101K)

>validation
if anything I'm being shat on by all you braindead pajeets, not being validated
>having the system resources to run something is an excuse for it to be bloated and horrible
yikes

Unused ram is wasted ram.

if you're not using all that ram i'll take it

Attached: 1538398025415.jpg (1462x2046, 98K)

>bloated and horrible
explain

i like brackets

>500 mb
its actually 1G

>written in electron
do I really need to explain this to you?

You can also have my empty bottles so you could at least buy some food. Doesn't look like you have a work.

> being efficient is lazy
I can smell a Debian boomer

> putting spaces after your meme arrow
hello

>buys all the extra hardware
>only uses a small fraction of it for a shitty terminal editor
Are you still working on a commodore?

"Unused RAM" is RAM that will be taken up by the bloated code of Pajeets and nu-coders, making it "necessary RAM".

I do a lot of my programming on a T60 but the >unused ram is wasted ram meme is not an excuse for using a shitty bloated text editor

>electron
what's so wrong about it? do you hate everything made with it or this one specific piece of software because you consider its use unjustified? if so, how?
help me understand your point of view properly, I don't want to just call you a faggot and/or reply with some random reaction pic

So you use vim without plugins? If you install any plugin you are already bloating it up.

yeah every electron """app""" is garbage
it's really poorly optimized, isn't native, and the only positive is that it makes things easier for braindead javascript bootcamp graduates to write """apps"""
I don't use any plugins and my vimrc is
set number

> meme arrow
the absolute state of boomers

Attached: 1536799191005.jpg (2696x1372, 177K)

>I dont understand how the stack works

lurk moar faggot
each electron app spawns its own an instance of chrome since electron runs on it. you're basically rendering your desktop app as a web app. it provides 'greater' portability but uses a whole lot ram. in other words it's bloat.

So you have been forced by the BIG INDIAN SOFTWARE into vim?

lole same lole i literally just use nano lole.......dont realy see the point of any more sofisticated editore lole..............

>emacs
>electron
grab a fucking rope

Why not ZZ?

So you DO work on a commodore. I can send you my old CRT, user.

it reminds you to help poor children in Uganda

Attached: 1523094556100.gif (367x219, 523K)

holy shit did all of FORTRAN/COBOL got triggered by the thread lmao
>worrying about the stack in any aspect other than min requirements

>also >remembering variable and function names is too hard for my pajeet brain
Manually typing everything is for pretentious faggots.
Also denying that IDEs bring utility to development is usually what back-end/scripters say.
I think you should get out of your hole and try coding software with multiple layers.

Attached: 1535423974867.png (813x850, 343K)

it's lightweight and has a simple and portable interface. your text editor works perfectly over ssh and in any terminal emulator.
also when you get good with it you can navigate files quickly and perform repetitive operations with less keystrokes and no mouse usage.

>typing is for pretentious faggots
>t.zoomer

Attached: 1527039683467.jpg (380x349, 35K)

Vim is nice when you're accessing a machine remotely via ssh and you need to edit/write text files.
But other than cli text editing, yes, there's no point imo.

You're looking at it the wrong way, the sme tasks can be done (probably quicker) using normal software but vim is like linux. Its been latched onto by people missing normal experiences from their lives as a way to cope by thinking they are special and skilled. Its a substitute for things missing from their lives.

what kind of code do you write that you need as much memory as possible at all times?
for me, vscode runs blazing fast despite its iffy internals or being so memory hungry, shouldn't that be enough

>despite it being absolutely shit, it runs fine
>because it uses all of my system resources
n o
e x c u s e
it's terrible software. peroid.

>keyboard doesn't have arrow keys
Tell me more.

>Emacs
>modern

I wonder if ram manufacturers collaborate with popular application framework developers to bloat memory usage.

vim and emacs are for hipsters who act like they use terminals 90% of the day when in reality they spend all thei day editing their .vimrc instead of actually typing stuff down
the obtuse and shitty keyboard shortcuts doesn't help it either, what an editor should do is type, paste, exit, select, and quit, nothing more aside from indentation and syntax highlighting
vscode does it perfectly BUT MUH MICROSOFT

>all of my system resources
this is an over-exaggeration and you know it

In that case ram would still cost the same it did 30 years ago. It gets cheaper and cheaper every year while getting faster.

my vimrc is one line desu
on my thinkpad it comes close

You niggas is like shellcheck
Only starting problems when a nigga writing bash

Based and alphapilled

itt: hipster zoomers who only know about 2 different text editors

Attached: cpp.gif (819x742, 103K)

Don't forget to unset DISPLAY

Attached: 1414937393824.jpg (1280x966, 590K)

t. GUI dependent child

emacs -nw

(no-window)