So I have a four man project to do for class - Coding a Java program of our choice...

So I have a four man project to do for class - Coding a Java program of our choice. Only prerequisite is that it's semi-complex and business related.

As we will be working from home at certain stages of this project, can anyone recommend a "Cloud based collaboration solution"? Something like how Google Wave worked but by way of programming.

Attached: FB_IMG_1533293343490.jpg (405x473, 9K)

Other urls found in this thread:

desktop.github.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

tmux

In the market for something Windows based and simplistic. Getting my team using Linux and a terminal isn't something they're going to be on board with.

use github then
I don't know if there's anything that will make it easy to see people's changes in-real-time but you could just make different branches and stuff

I see. So github can put all of our code together if we do it in branches? We are novices at best when it comes to coding but have a project to do outside of class at one day a week so online collaboration seems like the likely solution.

here's the main gist of how github functions
>there is a main branch, this is the branch that your "final draft" will be on
>if you want to make a change, you will make a new branch and make your change, test it and make sure it works
>your team looks at the branch, decides whether it's good or not
>if its good, you merge it into the master branch
>if it's shit, you didn't fuck up the master branch
do some reading on github, it's the defacto solution for version management and collaborating on projects

Thank you man. The idea in my head was some form of online real-time collaboration. I will definitely check out Github.

Weird one, we use Netbeans IDE for Java; how does Github facilitate this? Does it just hold bodies or code? I.e we will have to do the code writing and testing in the IDE then paste it to a branch?

>we will have to do the code writing and testing in the IDE then paste it to a branch?
kind of.
there is a desktop client that will sync your local changes to the branch. you can do all your editing in netbeans

I see, thanks man. I'm on my computer now and I'm gonna rock a test project to see what's what.

Also, while I have you, I'm playing about with this to get the hang of it; any idea why i can't proceed with this?

Attached: file.png (1124x624, 49K)

Never mind, got it after fucking about with it for a bit as usual.

would be my guess

Attached: 1521987959588.png (193x37, 2K)

For whatever reason, I couldn't add anything into this box before; moved on over to the edit new file bit and then I could.

Bizarre.

check out the desktop app
I've never used it (because I use linux) but I've heard good things
desktop.github.com/

I will man, thanks a bunch again!

good luck with the project bud

Attached: 1525108150526.jpg (1000x800, 110K)

k e k

I'd like to interject for a moment. You are confusing Git and Github. Git is a version control system that you install on your computer, Github is a service that provides Git servers where you can upload your repositories to have remote access to them. The two are completely different things.

>Git
I'm on Github now; which one should I be using?

yeah but I'm not going to recommend a zoomer to put his college project on 4chanmemelab.io
github is owned by microsoft and it's reliable

OP here again; a friend of mine said about using Gitlab?

it's the same shit
you can use either
if you use github though you can put it on your resume later

Code one solution like that, and you have project done and you're safe for future projects.

I didn't recommend neither memelab nor pajeethub, I'm just saying it's a good idea not to mix up git and the git hosting services, especially at exams.

you're not wrong

Literally just do it on your own and tell the "team" to fuck off. If they don't even use terminal they will be shit anyway.

Attached: 1523331257916.gif (367x219, 523K)

Haha, I can't imagine I'll be much better; if anything, I'm worse!