Viruses in WINE

Let's say I download pirated shit from The Pirate Bay and install it via WINE. If it has a virus, would this virus affect my machine?

Attached: WINE-Logo.png (410x400, 13K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TErrIvyj_lU
github.com/winepak/winepak
flatkill.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I drink vodka and play STALKER on Windows 7 Ultimate. You should try it too, tovarisch (;

Attached: About Windows 7.png (490x428, 28K)

Of course it could. As long as wine is able to run it, which, given its ability to run software is pretty bad, it will probably not run.

it'll run but it'll only affect the wine files at most, if that. I highly doubtful generic windows viruses/malware have coding for Linux based systems, and even then, not sure how that'd work. if you're that worried, try it in a VM first, just to make sure it's not a virus, then do it in wine when you are sure it's okay.

I made a virus but it doesn't work in WINE. Should I file a bug report?

>If it has a virus, would this virus affect my machine?
youtube.com/watch?v=TErrIvyj_lU
The exploit WannaCry used didn't work on linux, but if wine is able to access your /home dir it will still encrypt your files. Thus, yes it could affect your machine.

Maybe. Probably not though. System calls are different

probebly not becuz bugs r insects & viruses arnt eben animols lole..........

Yes, WINE is also compatible with a surprising amount of malware.

lmao this

Reminder that wine is still executing code on your CPU. if a program managed to exploit spectre/meltdown tier bugs then it can bypass the OS entirely and hide in everything from UEFI and unused firmware/hard drive space.

/Thread

reminder that 99.99% of virus makers are too dumb to do this

0.01% is CIA

Attached: images(10).jpg (369x277, 9K)

make your own flatpaks or github.com/winepak/winepak once the new runtimes are ready
you can restrict the sandbox as much as you want

based slav

Awwww guys, thanks! I wasn't even trying to be funny. You just made my day, seriously.

Attached: 1516623116641.png (825x260, 18K)

Or do as most devs do: shit on sandbox and allow fuckin' everything.
Then be surprised when your linux gets fucked in the ass big time.

Just use a VM with GPU passthrough. Way more secure.

>flatpak

flatkill.org/

Wannacry works on GNU/Linux and macOS through Wine. Wine is not a sandbox nor a virtual machine, it literally translates calls the program makes to calls your OS can understand, so it has technically access to all its resources.

Yes, it can interact with other files in unsandboxed environment.

This.
10 years ago I tested a shitty VB6 C&C over WINE and most features just werked.