So, how do you expect to explain this to your mother and NPC friends?

So, how do you expect to explain this to your mother and NPC friends?

Attached: 42982705_476172812900155_261486563987292160_o.jpg (1200x913, 127K)

I send them this picture.

I let them setup a windows directory with permissions and 2 days later I throw them a linux box and they learn it by themselves.

fpbp

Even secretaries used to somehow manage.

but i can already read and write why would i need loonix to teach me that??

I'm a programmer and I totally forgot how to convert decimals to binary. Who the fuck does that in python and Java? You have a function to do that.

I studied it on my first class of CS major and I forgot it the same day. Chmod -rf 777 / works always

Not a single member of my family has ever needed to change file or folder permissions, on any OS. We use a small Linux server to share files over SMB (locally), and SFTP over the internet. We have a checklist on how to set up new computers, with everything from WiFi password, to required software and plugins.
Damn it's good to have a tech literate family.

Attached: 1534602992274.jpg (500x505, 302K)

>chmod -rf 777 /

Attached: Intensifies - 02.jpg (448x412, 11K)

I had a supervisor do this once. To be fair, it was a typo and not deliberate stupidity, but I spent 4 hours resetting permissions and reinstalling packages.
I came away from that incident with $90+ in overtime pay, and reimbursement for the LFS201x class and LFCS certification.

>Chmod -rf 777 /
genoius

Tell me one thing wrong with that

Get a load of this guy.

well i did call you a genious, but maybe you don't want any user having rwx permissions on all files

I always forget which number corresponds to which action so I have a small cheat sheet pinned in my cube. My walls are filled with random cheat sheets and architecture diagrams so it fits in

Attached: 1467166689146.png (900x800, 134K)

if only there was some way to access and save "text" in "files" in a "folder" on a "computer"

who /ugoa/ here

>i dont know how to divide by two

For example, you can use the logical and operator to check if a certain bit is 1 or 0.

4+2+1

sheeeeit

now convert 178.974321 to double-precision binary by-hand
you should be able to do this

chmod 000 yourself

Why would you need to? Your NPC friends don't care anyways.

(apart from obvious security risks)
Some software will stop working.
For example my web server won't serve pages if they have too many permissions.

>178.974321
>permissions
ok sweaty

This is about permissions you fucking retard. Windows also has a bunch of permission flags you just never use them.

>permissions
>cheat sheet
>files
wat

I don't. I tell them: "Here is your internet, here is your office, here are your files."

All they need. Works everytime.

so you cant, converting from integers to binary is easy

for 3 bit permissions it is. can you follow a thread or what?

nigga u dumb

so that's how it works? yepp, it bullshit and that why I couldn't figure it out. if you're already shorten it down to single letters, why suddendly switch to binary/decimal? that's the kind of shitty inconsistency people hate about unix/linux!

Attached: 1537118657761.jpg (660x680, 55K)

>invalid mode -r
such a brainlet you can't even remember the right switches to fuck up your whole permissions

man chmod

>178.974321
>integer

If I was introducing a layman to unix permissions, first I would have to explain what read, write and execute mean in terms of computing and each one is their own can of worms.
It's just better to pretend it's magic and scare people by opening hacker windows while you work.

How do you expect to explain NTFS permissions to your mother and NPC friends?

Oh wait, I'm sure you don't actually know a flying fuck about them at all because you're a brainlet who thinks unix permissions are even remotely complicated.

unix perms suck ass.
posix acls are better, rich acls are cool.
too bad shit like umasks breaks default acls plus no one even knows how to use them.

Why would you need to? It literally never comes up if you're a normal desktop user and it already existed on android for years and absolutely nobody noticed or cared.

Here you go

alias perms='echo "user group all \n read write execute \n binary: 100 4 \n 110 6 \n 111 7'

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-10-13 at 11.34.09.jpg (1524x1144, 126K)

nice bait

Attached: 1470530962624.png (350x245, 135K)

Thanks Nick.

cheers, cunt

This was never about converting to double by hand. And even then, it's manageable really.

sshd won't accept private keys with too many permissions either

kek