/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: linux.jpg (640x480, 239K)

Other urls found in this thread:

askubuntu.com/questions/11993/how-do-i-install-bcm4312-wireless-drivers
community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/796
wiki.debian.org/bcm43xx
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Broadcom_wireless#b43
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Wifi#Device_drivers
0pointer.net/blog/ip-accounting-and-access-lists-with-systemd.html
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Base#Mounting_the_necessary_filesystems
unix.stackexchange.com/questions/174021/chroot-permission-denied-but-im-root
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Bought second hand workstation
>USB drives take forever to read/write (strangely enough not for installing the OS)

dmesg shows
[ 10.336087] usb usb4-port3: Cannot enable. Maybe the USB cable is bad?
[ 10.336094] xhci_hcd 0000:07:00.0: Cannot set link state.
[ 10.336097] usb usb4-port3: cannot disable (err = -32)

Does this mean I need replace the front panel assembly/cables or could it be motherboard related?

Linux is best kernel.

Does it work on any another OS? Just to help tell if it's linux or hardware related.

rest in peace uriel.

Attached: urielwasright.png (820x1172, 26K)

Only tested windows when I bought it, with a keyboard and mouse.

How slow are we talking? USB2 slow? I have a script that shows sync progress if you're interested.

That error message does make it seem like a hardware error though, how many USB ports does it have and does it apply to all of them?

Expanding more on the behavior
>Four devices on the test 1 External 3TB HDD USB 3.0, USB 3.1 32GB Flashdrive, USB 2.0 Flashdrives (4 & 8GB)
>32GB and 8GB flashdrives work ok
>HDD and 4GB don't even mount after 5 minutes though they are detected OK (serial numbers, manufacturer etc)

>Bonus: Phone only works on one of two USB ports without a problem (USB3)

I tought this could be power related, maybe not enough current for device? But I don't know how to check for that

are you using a hub?

nope

What's Jow Forums's experience with Alpine?

I'm looking for a lightweight distro to run some VMs.

I use Slackware as daily driver but setting up a minimal install takes more work than I'd like.

Devuan turned out to be almost what I'm looking for, but their packages are even more outdated than Slackware.

Attached: Theo.jpg (430x366, 17K)

It could be power related, I've had pretty erratic behavior before from that before. Are you plugging all this shit in at once?

Check your PSU wattage, how much you CPU at full load uses and add any other PCI card.

>(strangely enough not for installing the OS)

I'm guessing it's fucking up when it tries to run those ports at full speed. Double check that the front panel cable is properly seated into the board and the sockets haven't become filled with shit.

GKSU

So with this now missing, how does one give Filezilla the rights it needs to download to a mounted drive/folder.

Stupid question coming through. Is it possible for an "infected" flash drive to do anything on linux, without anything being done by user? Like, in windows we have autoplay, are there any equivalents for linux that might be harmful for the system?

Here's a smart answer. Blacklist uas and usb_storage.

Depends on what's mounting your drive. If you're not doing manually, there's usually some software managing mounted drives(e.g. gnome, kde).

It could happen that some shitty software used to automount would execute something in autorun.inf, but I don't think anything that's commonly used does.

They usually just ask you what you want to do with an option to remember your decision.

Give me one (1) good reason not to use Linux as your daily driver if all you do is send emails, watch youtube and browse the internet

What?

Attached: gksu.png (348x76, 11K)

"Supposedly" only root / wheel should be able to mount
"Supposedly" binaries need to be marked executable
If you are paranoid
sudo echo -e "blacklist uas\nblacklist usb_storage" > /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist_usbdrive.conf

>sudo echo ... > file
wrong, which process is opening the file?

Stop using Ubuntu.
Switch to KDE and you can use kdesu.
Also there's pkexec, or you can run it from the terminal as root.

Broadcom WiFi drivers/firmware

Your meme is 10 years old. Broadcom works fine if you dont use shitty distros that limit you to software from 20 years ago

Enjoy a smoother web experience on Microsoft(R) Edge™

Works on my machine :^)

Well I was switching to Xubuntu because Linux Mint Debian decided to shit the bed and not work properly with SMB making it useless for me.

Everything on that front was working in Xubuntu but without the ability launch Filezilla with a decent level of permission it can't write to anywhere useful.

I like KDE but its in a VM so that is a bit heavy.

>BCM4312

So in mine, just not out of the box without extracting the firmare from binary drivers.

I am looking into this but disabling all usb storage in my personal laptop feels a bit too much.

Right now it's set up so nothing automounts. Or well, supposedly nothing should automount. All flash drives I've ever used I had to mount using the file browser or gnome-disks. I'm not really looking for any ultra hardcore solutions, I just don't want anyone possibly messing with my shit while it's locked or something.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-10-13_10-43-24.png (537x313, 35K)

Noob here

When I install linux for the first time and the package manager says x new updates available, should I just hit ok and install them all?

Post your janky folder permissions

Sure, why not

Might need to do su instead of sudo.

>BCM4312
Whats your point?
askubuntu.com/questions/11993/how-do-i-install-bcm4312-wireless-drivers
community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/796
wiki.debian.org/bcm43xx
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Broadcom_wireless#b43
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Wifi#Device_drivers

Are they just checking for updates to things that are already installed on the system?

Switching to root is an option, or su -c 'sh ...'. Although with just sudo, use tee.

echo ... | sudo tee file

Use tee -a for >>.

disabling automount should be fine 99% of the time
the only thing i can think of is is if the flash drive controller was designed in such a way as to crash or exploit the driver that is loaded for it as it's plugged in. i haven't heard of this being done before or how feasable such a thing is
you could disable your usb ports if you're really paranoid about it

>Give me one (1) good reason not to use Linux as your daily driver if all you do is send emails, watch youtube and browse the internet
>if all you do is send emails, watch youtube and browse the internet
>send emails, watch youtube and browse the internet

You said broadcom had no support, i proved it does even in the most baby distros.
You're not making any point to not use it.

I'll make a note of it. Thanks guy.

Not out of the box, which is not enough for the type of user that was described.
Good luck trying to get it to work if you're not tech savvy enought to know what a terminal is.

I could google and fix things when I was 8 years old
t. 1997 zoomer

Good for you, want a cookie?

no but I want you to pull your head out of your ass thinking that it's impossible for normies to install broadcom drivers

And I want you to get outside your tiny bubble, and realize that not everyone is able to do that.

Sounds like the chipset might be getting senile or there's a mechanical problem with the USB ports.
> I tought this could be power related, maybe not enough current for device?
For the hard drive maybe. None of that other stuff should care. USB Y-cables are a thing if you want to rule out power.

>Check your PSU wattage,
That's under 20W worth of stuff altogether unless you somehow trick it into quick charging the phone.

I honestly don't think its folder permissions exactly since those end up changed when mounting the share as a folder. I think I need to be adding something to my mount command to give it read/write by default, just working on what exactly so I can test it.

A possible but unlikely scenario where automount could exploit your system without auto executing any file on the drive would be an exploit targetting programs that map the drive. Like a filename or file metadata exploiting a file search indexer, or a media file exploiting an image thumbnailer or ffmpeg for video thumbnails. It would be equivalent to a .jpg exploiting the image renderer in your web browser (it's happened before), keep in mind that thumbnailers aren't audited as much as the software in your browser and have been exploited before.

Even without mounting, a usb drive could possibly have a malicious controller that exploits a bug in the usb driver in the linux kernel.

This is all paranoid security but if you're paranoid and want to be sure, don't plug in any random device into your computer.

I have some external media with linux installed, debian I think; anyways I forgot the root password and need to change it. It's not encrypted. Can I plug it in to another computer and just edit the root directory or something?

Reinstall Debian.

Yeah, just plug it into another linux system(if linux isn't installed on the system, use a livecd).

Mount the system, chroot into it and run the 'passwd' command as root. You could also just modify the /etc /shadow file manually but I would recommend the chroot method.

If I mount the thing in ~/mount, would I use chroot ~/mount? And then su and psswd?

Okay ya adding in permission to the mounting command fixed the issue.

I'm still sad about LMDE shitting itself though. I've been using Mint Debian for years now and really liked it. Only went back to the buntu family because I needed something to work while I find something else.

Anyone got another distro worth using? (and no not arch or gentoo been there but i'm lazy and like to use it regularly)

mount /dev/sdX /mnt
chroot /mnt /bin/bash
su
passwd

chroot I think requires root, and you'll be chrooted into root of the mounted system. Try

$ su
# mount foo /mnt
# chroot /mnt /bin/bash
# passwd
# exit
# reboot

Then boot from the drive

chroot: failed to run command ‘/bin/bash’: Exec format error

Alright, but it shot me an error

'ls' your mounted system, a debian system should probably have /bin/bash

# ls /mnt/bin

If it's there, run the 'file' command on /mnt/bin/bash. How old is this drive? It might be 32-bit x86 and your current x64 system doesn't support it.

For me it's Solus.

Attached: doomer.png (509x574, 295K)

Actually if you're on a linux system now, even if you don't support the target architecture you can passwd it.

Confirm that your mount point contains a linux filesystem, and run on the host system(non chroot)

$ sudo passwd -R /mnt

Is there a cli tool that will monitor the system processes and report the network activity of them?
Preferably without a web server based reporting/monitoring interface

I'm just interested in what processes are using the network and how much bandwidth they used.

I've looked before and can't find it. They all fucking suck. All the tools just poll the entire /proc directory and can barely give you a pid.

You can find which process has an active connection at the time(netstat, ss), but monitoring changes not as easy.

Even fucking iptables can't even tell you which process triggered a firewall rule.

passwd: Cannot determine your user name.

I got this error
Should just be root, I don't think it has a user account. Can it change the root password?

I found nethogs but it dosent seem to record the data, and i've found vnstat, which monitors total bandwidth used, but i've yet to find one that records based on processes

Fuck it, do it manually. Open the /etc shadow file of your mounted drive with a text editor, find the line(probably) the first one that starts with root.

root:$?$hash:...

remove the password hash in the second field, between the two ':'

root::...

Now there's no root password on the system, run 'passwd' once you login on it.

0pointer.net/blog/ip-accounting-and-access-lists-with-systemd.html

Honestly I think it's way easier to just change your root password through grub. Google it, it's very easy.

I dont have systemd installed

It's still worth looking into, systemd just provides an interface to a kernel feature that allows you to monitor the bandwidth used by each processes.

I really dont want that cancer on my system nor do i want to give it access to all my network usage.

I'm not telling you to use systemd, retard, I'm telling you it's not an exclusive systemd thing.

Bought a Dell Laptop (Inspiron 15) Which has been a pain in the arse. Got it running now with firmware/driver warnings that don't seem overly critical. Had to get the wireless card replaced under warranty. Currently the issue I have is with the lid switch. If I close the laptop lid, the system suspends, but I can't get it to wake up.
Only way to get the machine working again is to hold the power button for a few seconds to force shutdown and then power on from an off state. Any ideas on fixing this in Debian?
Unrelated Annoying dmesg warnings:
[ 0.017470] [Firmware Bug]: cpu 0, invalid
threshold interrupt offset 1 for bank 4, block 0 (MSR00000413=0xd000000001000000)
[ 2.052687] sp5100_tco: I/O address 0x0cd6 already in use
[ 2.077239] iwlwifi 0000:16:00.0: firmware: failed to load iwlwifi-8265-26.uc
[ 2.077288] iwlwifi 0000:16:00.0: firmware: failed to load iwlwifi-8265-25.uc
[ 2.077327] iwlwifi 0000:16:00.0: firmware: failed to load iwlwifi-8265-24.uc
[ 2.077365] iwlwifi 0000:16:00.0: firmware: failed to load iwlwifi-8265-23.uc
[ 6.417069] r8169 0000:14:00.0: firmware: failed to load rtl_nic/rtl8106e-1.fw (-2)
[ 7.004659] [drm:amdgpu_vce_ring_test_ib [amdgpu]] *ERROR* amdgpu: IB test timed out.
[ 7.004775] [drm:amdgpu_ib_ring_tests [amdgpu]] *ERROR* amdgpu: failed testing IB on ring 11 (-110).
[ 7.004875] [drm:amdgpu_device_init [amdgpu]] *ERROR* ib ring test failed (-110).[FAILED] Failed to start Load/Save Screen Backlight Brightness of backlight:acpi_video0.
See 'systemctl status systemd-backlight@backlight:acpi_video0.service' for details.
[ OK ] Started Load/Save Screen Backlight Brightness of backlight:amdgpu_bl0.
Debian GNU/Linux 9 Marengo tty1
Marengo login:

I tired but it still is asking for a password when I ssh in to it

Then include how to do it without systemd :)

you guys didn't tell him to mount /dev /proc or /sys?
fuckin amateurs
read wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Base#Mounting_the_necessary_filesystems

Which part of this is relevant to my issue?

you are having trouble chroot'ing into your system, and you need to run passwd on a chrooted system right?
so do the steps in Mounting the necessary filesystems and Entering the new environment then run passwd.

I think the problem i that he is chrooting across architectures.
If you deleted the root passwd you should be able to hit enter at password prompt for no password.

root:&6&[...]:17500:0:99999:7:::
into
root::17500:0:99999:7:::
and ssh root@blah blah didn't work with no password entered
I tried the chroot method again but now I'm getting permission denied even with sudo chroot

what livecd are you running

Attached: 1514519964334.png (621x702, 56K)

None, I'm on my laptop. Debian

okay well restart your computer and follow the steps in the gentoo handbook again.
You're obviously doing something wrong

I just need to chroot in to an external drive that has linux installed so I can change the password, or change the password in any means really.

I've done this several times on different linux distros, debian, arch, etc. doing exactly what is stated in the gentoo handbook for chrooting
you can even read unix.stackexchange.com/questions/174021/chroot-permission-denied-but-im-root if you don't believe me

Is root login enabled in openssh on your system? openssh will still prompt you for a password even if root login is disabled.

On that system in /etc /ssh/sshd_config PermitRootLogin yes, restart sshd.

Also in your case, set PermitEmptyPasswords to yes.

ssh has these defaults because in almost all cases allowing somebody on the network login to a no password root account on the system is an extremely bad idea.

He is going straight to hell if he doesn't accept Christ.

he is trying to chroot into an external (usb) hard drive.. right?
what is all the ssh fuckery about?

I don't know, maybe a VM. He mentioned SSH in

I just thought that openssh probably wouldn't allow what he's trying to do by default.

I've contemplated what you said for like a good 5 minutes now and I still don't understand
how the fuck is an ssh daemon going to be running on a usb hard drive that has yet to be chroot'd into

>0pointer.net/blog/ip-accounting-and-access-lists-with-systemd.html

Whaaaat fucking rad turning this shit on right now.

>yet to be chroot'd
he already manually erased the root password in shadow, he doesn't need to chroot anymore.

From my understanding he's now trying to SSH into the drive. I'm not really sure why either, I mentioned the VM because it seemed like a possible explanation. He's booting the drive in VM and trying to SSH into it instead of loging into the tty for some reason

Man I didn't know systemd had this kind of functionality, you can limit a service so that it can only talk to one IP address, this shit is super useful for preventing proxy leaks.

This was always available but awkward to use sometimes.

iptables can't act on processes but it can do it with uids. So every service needs to have their own user, which is usually the case.

The pain in the ass comes with programs that weren't made with this in mind.

Yeah systemd just makes it usable.

lol wtf I love poettering shitware now

Actually doesn't this just use cgroups? I don't think the services need unique UID.

I'm not sure how systemd does it and I already have a configuration I don't feel like touching.

Just saying that it is possible without it.

I checked this and it was correct, but I still couldn't log in over the network with root access
Here's the shadow root entry
root::17500:0:99999:7:::

I did
root #mount --types proc /proc /mnt/proc
root #mount --rbind /sys /mnt/sys
root #mount --make-rslave /mnt//sys
root #mount --rbind /dev /mnt/dev
root #mount --make-rslave /mnt/dev
and then

sudo chroot /mnt qemu-arm-static /bin/bash

But got permission denied again

Attached: 1530791739791.jpg (480x480, 23K)

dude
why are you doing this weird shit with the vm?

Yeah, I think it works with cgroups, they mention the slice in the article and that setting things with the root slice affects all of your services.

uid would be kinda useless if everything is root

Attached: wew.png (960x531, 164K)

It's not a vm just an external hard drive
The forward slashes in the reply are incorrect, the 3rd entry doesn't have two of them.
I'm up to almost any options for changing the password