Is making a game using opengl 2.1 + SDL on C++ too hard?

Is making a game using opengl 2.1 + SDL on C++ too hard?

why agdg tells me I'm a retard for wanting to do it?

Attached: 1520734595026.png (560x767, 137K)

Other urls found in this thread:

positech.co.uk/cliffsblog/2015/09/19/causes-of-the-indie-apocalypse-maybe/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

If you are gonna use sepples you might as well go full sepples and use sfml instead of sdl. More features and better designed. Raylib is better if you go with c.

>opengl 2.1
FOR WHAT PVRPOSE

Don't let people tell you what to do, OP! Live your life! Nothing is too hard, except your DICK when you accomplish something everyone told you was too hard!

I haven't been to /agdg/ but I'm guessing it's a bunch of unityfags who don't understand how actual gamedev works. Don't worry user it's not too difficult they're just brainlets who can't into OpenGL. That being said why 2.1? You can do it with 3.3 at least. SDL is also easy as hell too, you only really use it to set up an OpenGL context and that only takes like 10loc

Oh also if you end up wanting to do more complicated stuff with OpenGL get the OpenGL superbible, it's really nice.

SFML is kinda unnecessary assuming OP just wants to set up an OpenGL context, receive some input, and nothing else. Hell even SDL is a bit much for that, he could use GLFW instead

>why agdg tells me I'm a retard for wanting to do it?
Because you're a fukken nerd if you're thinking about learning actual programming to make a vidya in 2018

or just somebody who genuinely cares about what they're doing

lol fukken nerd

ok twink

Somebody who genuinely cares about what they're doing won't be asking Jow Forums if it's ok to care about doing it or not

right i agree but i'm not talking about OP, i was talking about the "hurr why should anybody write code" mentality in response to

SDL opengl and c++ are a lot harder and more time consuming to use than say unity or game maker. If you are interested in the low level aspects of game development it would be a great place to start but if you just want to make games and prototype then you should use a game engine.

i think you're overestimating how difficult it is, plus it entirely depends on the type of game OP wants to make. unity is overkill for most things

>SDL opengl and c++ are a lot harder and more time consuming to use than say unity or game maker
Not true unless you're going for a 3D graphics engine from scratch

because agdg are unreal engine/unity toddlers. Opengl + sdl is not difficult at all and has a HUGE community and library, go ahead. Maybe take a look at SFML, it's an SDL+GL library made for games. Used the CSFML one at school and it's great.

You will *never* do game programming as a job OP.

You can and should still make your game as you'll learn a lot, but just consider it as a fun hobby.

Game programming is a pretty dissatifactory job anyway, with long hours, low pay and most of the artworks you produce is discarded anyway.

Remember the Warren Buffet quote "If other people want it make it a business. If you want it, make it a hobby"

>Game programming is a pretty dissatifactory job anyway, with long hours, low pay and most of the artworks you produce is discarded anyway.
none of those are true

you don't know that, and if you actually did you'd explain your reasoning

Attached: gay2.jpg (1600x1574, 154K)

Not him, but that's an unusual insult to make user.
>t. twink

Elaborating a bit more on this topic, would it be possible to combine rendering with SDL and OpenGL? Not simultaneously, but, for example, use the simple, built-in SDL rendering for 2D stuff, then switching to OpenGL for sections that need 3D and shader?.
If not, would it be simple to implement 2D rendering like in SDL with OpenGL?

Finally, I've heard Vulkan can be a lot more powerful than OpenGL. Is it recommended to switch to Vulkan rather than to get more engrained in OpenGL? I've had a course on the latter, but if Vulkan is a straight upgrade I'd rather switch to it now before I become too attached.

Thanks in advance to anyone with the patience to answer my questions.

>Finally, I've heard Vulkan can be a lot more powerful than OpenGL
you heard wrong
>Is it recommended to switch to Vulkan rather than to get more engrained in OpenGL?
no
>use the simple, built-in SDL rendering for 2D stuff, then switching to OpenGL for sections that need 3D and shader?
no real point practically, if you've learnt GL you can just use it for everything

But, doing game programming is a very good way of learning programming. At least if you're trying to do it in c++ and build your own graphics engine in opengl, if you get that done you're basically all set, especially if you make it multiplayer.

C++ and SFML if you want to make a 2D game.

Unreal or Unity if you want to make a 3D game.

C++ and DirectX if you want to make your own engine.

>you heard wrong
Maybe more expressive is the term, as in it gives access to more of the graphics pipeline.
Still, I suppose that it's a lot more work for not enough increase in efficiency.

>if you've learnt GL you can just use it for everything
Really? I may just do away with SDL entirely then, if it is easy to implement for people who are familiar with OpenGL.

Thanks user

>Maybe more expressive is the term, as in it gives access to more of the graphics pipeline.
yeah it does but that's not your concern as a beginner, OpenGL isn't going away any time soon

Keep the faith user :)

Have you looked on glassdoor? or job postings? or anecdotes from famous programmers?

I am a game programmer

yes, it will be hard
you should just use Microsoft Visual Basic, it is a proven game ready technology

Ok then.

How many people brought the biggest selling game you worked on? How big was the team? how many hours a week do you work on average? What percentage for your work ended up in the final game?

And if it's not too presumptuous of me to ask, how much do you earn?

positech.co.uk/cliffsblog/2015/09/19/causes-of-the-indie-apocalypse-maybe/

Look man, if you want to do it just try it. Then you'll better be able to judge if it's a good idea or not.

Yeah. Making games is a great thing to do and very rewarding.

AFAIK you can not mix SDL's rendering and opengl. Like drawing a sprite with sdl and then a 3d shape on the same window with opengl is not supported.
You can open an opengl window using sdl and draw on it using opengl commands. And then use sdl for things like handling input.

Implementing sdl like 2d rendering with opengl is not simple.
If you want 3d it's better to just pick a 3d engine to being with.

You can render using SDL to a texture that's then used by OpenGL, including trasperent ones

Then tell us more.
Everything I've read about that industry tells me it's long hours and relatively lower pay.

It is too hard and also unnecessarily so.
You can and SHOULD write your 2D side scrollers in python and nobody will notice any performance drop, modern PCs are just that good.
Spend time designing, don't waste time programming.

/agdg/ is a cesspool of windows using children who shits on anything other than C# and Unity, don't associate yourself with that shithole

Professional game dev reporting in to tell you this user is lying.

If it's your dream to be a gave dev, go for it. Just know in a professional setting it isnt going to be what you expected it to be. Unless you're doing indie or something I guess.