Why does startups suck so much?

>I was in a meeting of our whole startup once, and one of the other employees suggested that we tell a "small" lie to a customer. I objected that we should not be lying to customers. He said it again, and I objected again, but no one seemed to be noticing. He said it a third time and I stood up and in front of the CEO and everyone told him in a loud voice that I was going to take him outside. I was sent out and put on probation, but I was sure I had done the right thing. That company later collapsed mostly due to the lack of integrity of the way the business side was being run.

dsw.users.sonic.net/effective-management.html

Attached: 1511178579765.png (900x997, 651K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nemil.com/mongo/1.html
nemil.com/mongo/2.html
nemil.com/mongo/3.html
youtube.com/watch?v=7i51NXFfF10
youtube.com/watch?v=tHGgeWapnE0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

broke niggas always talk about they ball

rich niggas always talk about they trophies

I wonder if this guy knows you can get worms from standing barefoot on feces?

Is he retarded? The company probably collapsed because of retards like him with bougie white liberal morals that don't fly anywhere on earth.

>be me
>walk every where barefoot
>never any problems

free shrugs i guess.

Attached: 1538956217849.png (293x81, 31K)

good thing he isnt walking in shit then

>Is he retarded?
rude
>Always Hear Both Sides of the Story
>Someone once assaulted me by ramming his body into mine to get through a doorway he was not authorized to enter; I subsequently kicked him in the head. Unfortunately he happened to call the police first and the officer who came refused to even listen to my side of the story. The officer's mind-set was already in that of the first story he had heard.

you all seem to be confused as to the function of the startup. it isn't about developing an idea into a viable company.. it's about stealing investor's money and buying drugs with it.

That guy looks like he fucks black guys

Because the startup world is full of pretentious (in the proper, uncorrupted sense of the word) douchebags who want to be the cool startup guy. They don't want to build a cool product, they want to BE that guy. As a result, they work on all the sexiest problems, use the most hyped up technology (literally the reason MongoDB got big), spend all of their time at hackathons and conferences and meetings and talk the big talk. It's a lifestyle, like being a vegan, but somehow even more irritating.

This is not how shit gets done, of course. Lisper and startup guru (in the proper, uncorrupted sense of the word) Paul Graham wrote about this a decade ago.

They're not all like this. Most are shit, it's true, but the good ones are really great to work at in that golden period between 3 guys in a room and getting bought up by Google/Apple/Microsoft. These companies often aren't the ones that are making headlines, though, and even more often they're not cool or sexy.

>getting bought up by Google/Apple/Microsoft
That's a problem.

Isnt mongoDB a meme

>OK sir that wraps it up, could you just quickly pose for a cover photo

>Assumes frog stance next to a discarded Starbucks cup and stares into the distance

>Uh, sir?

>Shoot or my 13th startup will be me sitting at my macbook all day downvoting your reddit posts

Attached: 1533793480773.jpg (480x542, 37K)

That doesn't mean anything to white people.
Also, you have the entire rest of the internet to play on, go away.

Attached: Double_Nigger.jpg (400x369, 36K)

If he's in silicon valley there's enough pajeets to make the streets lined with intestinal parasites.

Only if you suck your toes afterwards

fucking kek'd

Attached: 1538419139305.jpg (661x807, 39K)

Is hating on mongo the most blatant newfag way of trying to fit in? It got big because it's easy to use and usually "just works," same reason windows is still on top.

Because shotgun method. Shoot 20, hit one.

I want to kick that douche in the face so bad.

Attached: 1539400827361-1.png (422x540, 343K)

this. the startup was always a con job and he was a sucker for thinking they actually needed his skills. now he drinks $5 coffee and walks everywhere barefoot despite the fact that man evolved to walk on dirt instead of concrete and asphalt.

> evolved
yikes...

Tech Nigger, is that you?

based

Attached: 83CA1022-57AE-4DC0-A9AD-18EE90BC32FE.gif (332x332, 1.78M)

>challenges the CEO to physical combat instead of explaining why lying to a costumer wasn't right

FRANCIS????

Attached: Kekd.jpg (780x439, 35K)

bix nood mufuggen

>I was sent out and put on probation, but I was sure I had done the right thing. That company later collapsed mostly due to the lack of integrity of the way the business side was being run.
I lost my job twice because I valued moral standards such as don't lie to the customers, don't cheat the owners of the company and don't embezzle the government. In all cases the companies folded later.

Would do it again.

I simply cannot express the enormity of my satisfaction when I was prosecutor's witness against a very much former CEO.

>That's a problem.
Why?

>Is hating on mongo the most blatant newfag way of trying to fit in?
Trying to fit in with who? Everyone started shitting on Mongo years ago. Shit on mongo and then recommend sticking json in postgresql instead. Just like they shat on PHP and said move to Rails. And then shat on rails and said move to react/angular and typescript.
Your point about ease of use doesn't contradict his claim that it got big on the back of unwarranted hype. Mongo is incredibly easy to pick up and use for rockstar startups. Of course it is. They run a single instance, use it without an ORM, structure their data like they're using MySQL. They don't care about incremental map-reduce being a slow as molasses. Or how it took until a year ago for Mongo to retry a write when the primary goes down. Let alone early-day issues where with enough traffic you'd end up with different databases on each replica.
People bought into Mongo's marketing, which is how to got big. If technology actually mattered, we'd have seen products like Couchbase take off at the same time. But we didn't.
Give it a year or two and you'll see shit like OrientDB and neo4j regularly on the front page of hackernews. "How we moved from X to a graph database" (and doubled our response times). "Optimizing indexes in graph database" (to make it perform like an anaemic mariadb installation).

Kekd

Attached: 1537459212012.gif (256x196, 547K)

He can't even do a proper squat

Attached: 1475179818035.jpg (700x512, 24K)

Disregarding his entire presence, probably some kind of hippie... why no shoes on gross pavement? In the woods ok, I hike barefoot.

It's still impressive if he can make some companies out of this, actual companies. I haven't read the article but if he's going to start 12 things up that employ people and become profitable. Then that's honestly very impressive.

He's using it as a PR stunt and that's a good idea too, it's never been attempted publicly. You can't hate him for gaming the popularity wheel, this success will help him achieve his goal because people will want to work with him.

Some will say that's unfair and he doesn't deserve it now but if you really want to win, you do whatever it takes.

squatboi

>t. wh*te boy

yes heel on ground comrade found

Startups are great, yeah maybe a thousand fail but then one hits it big and makes it all worth it

Squat on toes will break you bones

for the vc

>I subsequently kicked him in the head.
no he is right, retarded

Neo4j has had its hype period already. Graph databases have more of a defensible use case than Mongo.

nemil.com/mongo/1.html
nemil.com/mongo/2.html
nemil.com/mongo/3.html

was meant for

>tfw only employable in startups
what does this say about me

you can't even do a proper get

>that squat
heels to the sky, capitalist spy

you can't crack the coding interview

12 startups in 12 months sounds like a pyramid scheme desu

I wonder if this poster knows you can just dose yourself with diatomaceous earth to cure worms?

The streets of silicon valley were filled with human shit long before they started importing brownies, son

I worked fora startup for 2 years. Had sizable amount of options in the beginning but they kept getting diluted. Constantly working to meet one deadline, then everything abandoned to pursue the next random strategy by the CEO. Multiple all nighters working for a release which the next day was canceled. After two years my initial options were so diluted they were worthless and they had to give me new incentives.

Eventually I left for a big software company for a 50% base salary raise, plus 25% bonus. First year I got more stock bonuses then my options would have been worth even if the startup did sell for a reasonable amount. And its a no stress 9-5. so I was making over twice as much with less responsibility. Startups are only worth it if you get in on the ground floor, otherwise you can make more money just working for a google type company, where you still get sizable stock incentives these days.

Show us how it's done soiboi

neither can I ;_;

nice quads, sounds like a shitty company with bad management

I love google too user

Attached: 1512234630621.png (664x840, 149K)

What a waste of time. He explains how it got big but not really what's wrong with mongo.

Yeah, everyone knows it's a bit slow and had issues when it came out. However, if you're not fucking Google you shouldn't structure your company like them.

Idiots got burned, more at 11

if i worked for google i would move away from stupid valley and just get up early to walk to work and save all my money and retire at 40 and do this all day youtube.com/watch?v=7i51NXFfF10

amerikanski spijon

Realest words ever though. If you don't understand this, grow a brain, you ignorant fucks

T. Nigger brainlet

heels in sky, american spy

At this point everyone knows that MongoDB got big because people are sheep and follow the crowd.

It's been misused everywhere because people think they need to be like Facebook or like Google and scale their software to planetary levels of distribution.

When in reality they would have delivered faster, iterated faster, and satisfied more customers if they had used the proper DB for their use case.

How often do you run into a situation where you just need to dump JSON documents into a database and then grab those JSON documents--unaltered--and dump them onto a client?

youtube.com/watch?v=tHGgeWapnE0
this faggot gives a decent explanation as to what people do wrong by trying to copy Google

>startups

NPC culture word

Dis nigga pulled his bootstraps so hard he ain’t got boots no more.

i was an early employee at a startup that is now publicly traded at 4 billion market cap, guess how much my stock options turns out to be worth?

about three fiddy

"Hi, i have rich parents with a "follow your dreams" attitude and throw money at every idea i have"

Because 90% of the time the CEO has no conviction behind their product and their entire goal is to line their pockets with a few million in cash and stock options even if they have literally nothing to show for it?

Startups suck for the same reason DeviantArt fan art and fanfic sucks: Anyone can create one, regardless of whether they actually have the necessary skills.

Isn't the crazy part the cost of living out there is so crazy their lifestyle is barely better than someone making 40k in a midwest city?

Also, is the OP pic real? 'Cause if it is, that is one retarded hipster. He'd probably be better off just getting a job and using the money from that job for his startup, rather than panhandling on the streets.

more than ya mum i bet

That holds up until around ~$160k or so. Every $10k past that, if you have any intelligence at all, is almost pure profit. The guys making $350k at Google are roughly equivalent to someone in the midwest pulling in $180k+, and that's before factoring in the benefits that come with high cash throughput (credit card points through the roof, being able to drop substantial chunks into high interest investments, etc).

Achieving that salary, even in the insanely high CoL Silicon Valley, is probably the best a software engineer can do as an individual contributor anywhere in the world. To go any higher you'd have to move into management/exec positions.

Source: have lived in SV for almost 7 years now.

This attitude is why you don't have 12 startups. Stay in your safe zone loser

What language are these posts written in? It appears to be some branch of English.

Almost fuck all after they diluted you out

Imagine going through life with this outlook

A sort of pidgin, like Nigerian English

ebonics

There doesn't seem to be any feces beneath his feet, though?

yes i always feel like punching interviewers

>Why does startups suck so much?
Because they exist to be bought out.
That's all they aim for. They have an idea they want to put out there and have some bigger company buy them out to pay off the debt they incur starting up. So 95% of them fail and if you're unlucky the management scamper off with whatever money remains while the workers remain unpaid.

pretty much, it was worth about $200,000, i would have made way more at google

>To go any higher you'd have to move into management/exec positions
not at google, l5 can make 400k+, and 1 in 10 engineer is l6

Great video, thanks user.

>the benefits that come with high cash throughput
That's super underrated. I've gone from high spending/high expenses to low spending/low expenses and I miss all the bonus shit and being able to afford risk. I've come to believe that people who emphasize low-spending frugality are basically wrong. It if you don't have a religious reason, aim for high/high.

>Idiots got burned, more at 11
That's one lesson. Idiots bought into the marketing and got burned, in some cases to the point of killing their company.

If you are interested in what is technically wrong with MongoDB now, then the answer is "not much". You can use it - if you are sure that it fits your problem and aren't just cargo culting. There was a lot of wrong with it - almost everything at the start - but they plugged the holes with money and pieces of better companies that they bought. MongoDB's Jepsen tests pretty much tell you the history of how it wgotas unfucked, so read that if you care. Hence, the other lesson is that there is apparently a viable path to success that looks like this: broken product -> marketing that obfuscate the brokenness -> hype -> VC $$$ -> working product.

What is your beef with it?

Fucking this
I have so many fags from my Univ who graduated in CS along with me, you could almost track this behaviour. They were all more interested in attending workshops, seminars, conferences and hackthlons rather than learning or actually making stuff. They always talked big about themselves even when they barely knew a topic. 100% """networking"""" people with no substance to back it up
Predictably they started their startups which mostly failed because they realised the hard way that

Heels on ground, comrade found
Heels up high, western spy

mongodb is actually bretty gud tho

Actually aim for one spending level below your salary. Saving a lot is stil important

Attached: white niggas.png (607x428, 187K)

>file size 666.9 kb
Based

Of course. When I say "high/high", I am not telling you to spend all you earn, just to not balk at having higher expenses when they come with a proportionate income.

To be fair, most startups (all businesses, really) fail, but some at least try.
>They were all more interested in attending workshops, seminars, conferences and hackthlons rather than learning or actually making stuff.
Don't forget the latest fashion with those people. They're now "looking for a mentor" in droves. They don't want a professional in some area to teach them his specific area of knowledge. Noooo, they want someone someone to tell them in how to do everything. Get a life coach or join a cult, fuckers.

Today it's all right. But it wasn't all right in 2011 at peak hype.

City slicker detected.