Why do so many companies and businesses still use Windows XP?

Why do so many companies and businesses still use Windows XP?

Attached: ubiq01.jpg (1024x768, 65K)

Other urls found in this thread:

alternativeto.net/list/52/updated-web-browsers-for-windows-xp
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because it runs a lot of software and the jump from IA32 to x64 isn’t as necessary for old shit

It's the best Windows OS, it's mostly compatible with everything they need. It runs on everything, so no need for higher specs, thus saving money.
It looks good, and is overall great.
Fuck, I wish I could use it again.

can't afford a mac

>x64
What the fuck does this even mean and why do wangtards use this ridiculous terminology when referring to the 64-bit version of x86?

x64 is easier to type than x86-64 or amd64

But it doesn't make sense.

Okay I’ll use x86-64 in the future

>being this autistic

Good. x64 is the stupidest nonsense I've ever heard.

your redddit is showing

Attached: snapshot_06.30_[2016.09.27_03.53.17].png (1920x1080, 2.7M)

Your wang is showing, wangtoddler.

Our bowling software only runs on NT.

Same reason quite a few buildings still have asbestos in them - replacing infrastructure (whether analog or digital) costs money. If it ain't killing people and the ROI isn't immediately favorable enough, fuck it.

because there is no Gold Windows 10

Attached: gold windows xp.png (1600x1200, 1.27M)

Just go

Because Windows XP (especially Pro) is the best OS with a win32 API that has ever been available. It is a great OS which can run (and be fully working) at only 80MB ram. It does not lack many features of new OS. If MS would have just made an XP2 (aka native SSD, USB3, EFI support), nobody would be using Win7.

The install image can be reduced to fit your needs. It does not track you. Did I say that you get a win32 API without all the other crap?

Windows XP is comfy.

I say all of this a 10 years main Linux user

this

basically this

and /thread

You guys should check out Awingu if that's the case. WXP is riddled with security issues.

DAILY REMINDER
I dont know what the fuck is (((OP)))s problem its obviously a divide and conquer shill
apart from a few computers with paid windows (xp, 10 twice, vista) I just try to salvage computers I find, install DOS 6.22 to Scan disk to remove bad sectors (If i just go straight to a bigger OSs it wont work because it installs on a bad sectors and fucks the whole hard drive), use the windows 98 boot disk to install Windows 98 (an iso, from the archive of course), go for a fuckfest of driver hunts, get kernel ex or whatever else
I still dont know how get youtube running on it but ive gotten httpS support

Has anyone even been close as far as understand what dude even talk about by then?

upgrade to 10 its just better

I only went to Win7 because most programs I use to make the money migrated to 64bit and now 32GB of memory isn't enough even though 4GB with WinXP was fine a few years ago.

And its all free

My business. I like IE6.

>I like sm.
>I like being the sub

All you need Exel and MS Office and printer stuff.

Netscape
D
E
S
T
R
O
Y
S
¨muh internet explorer¨

It's also surprisingly stable if you never connect it to the internet, and use a whitelist for executables. We have industrial process monitoring equipment, running XP Pro, that hasn't been rebooted since 2003.

Attached: waterproof_windows_xp_industrial_strong_style_color_b82220_panel_pc_strong_with_touch_screen.jpg (600x600, 38K)

linux user here. user tells the truth and is right.

XP2001 and SP1 had some issues. after 2002/3 and SP2 it became really stable.

tell us the issues
I wasnt around then

XP at release and even with SP1 had frequent issues with random bluescreens and most important to mention explorer freezes. You would get either a completly stuck explorer, sometimes all windows crashing and often that repeating graphic glitch where your whole screen gets filled in the solitaire winning style. (has that thing a name?)

After that MS basically tried to make everyone think that version 2002 with SP2 was THE WINDOWS XP. They even succeeded: Personally I have no XP media and no ISO of any version prior to SP2 lying around.

The idea that you need to upgrade just because a new product came out is a consumerist attitude
Windows XP is still compatible enough for most uses so why bother upgrading

lazy IT tech department.

It works.

The problem with windows boxes being run 24/7 is that the day they get rebooted, shit never starts again

t. Working with medical equipment

because x86 > x64

duh

probably this but there's some jobs that just do not need anything more than a basic machine. Some factories out there still use commodores because they never needed to upgrade it.

so long as the device itself never becomes a security liability with the potential to do major damage in whatever sector it's fine I guess.

>chicken invaders
maaan....

Attached: E61FC681-A824-4C9E-A26E-92F79EF534C1.png (380x349, 77K)

fuck, i miss the days when you could rice your windows, why is it not possible on the new winshit10?

I've heard this complaint often enough to believe that there's some merit to it. It could be why all those computers got connected to UPS:es by the company that installed them some years ago.
The new machines run some flavor of Linux, with Windows Embedded Edition in a virtual machine. I think it makes a delta-backup of the machine state every now and then, because they fucked up maintenance once, and the technician rolled it back without even breaking a sweat.

Attached: APC_smc1000_Smart_UPS_C_1000VA_with_887745.jpg (720x720, 80K)

Because no security upgrades, how can you login into your bank account in an OS you know its vulnerable?

You can use software restriction policies to prevent any software that isn't white listed from executing. Once MS Office 2010, a web browser, accounting software, and Java has been installed, you lock it up tight. There are a number of web browsers that still support Windows XP.
alternativeto.net/list/52/updated-web-browsers-for-windows-xp

Attached: Fig2-XPerror.jpg (571x321, 109K)

hi isac

because it just werks
and they can't just shut down for a few days while a big IT shift takes place, esp if there will be hiccups (which is almost certain)
e.g. hospitals

Because Windows 10 is botnet and Windows 7 is just Vista with new skin.

the point is that there are probably vulnerabilities that circumvent those restrictions and they will not be patched

Plenty still use MS DOS for setups that do only one thing, like searching inventory. Upgrading is a cost, and if it still works there is 0 incentive.

Best grill

UPS are there to prevent data loss
after a power out usually the stuff shuts down controlled

>UPS are there to prevent data loss
Oh, you're right! I remember this from when I took a course called "Server installation, and administration with Windows 2003 Server Edition, and Active Directory". Fuck, it's been a long time!

Attached: what-is-active-directory-3-638.jpg (638x479, 54K)

When it's running XP-only (or even older) $80,000 software that operates a machine with the price in the six or seven digit range, good luck trying to get that massively expensive version upgrade approved when the old machine does the job just fine.

My father encountered a machine that managed the catalog of museum with 100k+ objects. It had crashed badly, and the software it used was developed in-house for DOS 5 or 6. They wanted to know if he could create some new piece of software, and migrate the database to a newer machine. I instead helped him to recreate the system using FreeDOS on a very cheap computer, using backups of the old system. We didn't earn as much as a result, but they referred others to us, which has been more valuable in the long run.

Attached: Book - 00.png (720x960, 93K)

Rember having to install an GT210 in an aging Windows XP machine in a paper mill.

I believe it even had just SP2 installed.

Had to install windows installer to get it to install and even delete some modern bloat from the drivers to get it to install.

Kinda critical so installing SP3 wasnt really an option.

This was in 2017 or so.

*printing press.

> being this new to life

They don't? I worked 3 different jobs in the past 8 years at companies with 1000+ employees and none of them are running Win XP. Sounds like you're just a bum.

It really depends on where you are looking. Offices will generally use desktop computers that are, on average, for years old. Walk out onto production floors however, and you will find everything from production controllers using XP, robots being programmed on ten year old Debian installations, and CNC-machines being fed instructions on a floppy, from an MS DOS-box.

Attached: EI+800xA+system+-+Network+Map.png (1920x1006, 1.17M)

Because they like bending over for Mr. Anonymous CIA Russian McHacker.

How many places actually use Windows XP still? My last two schools used Windows 7, and my College recently installed Windows 10.

Why do so many companies and businesses still use Windows?*

hi
thanks

Attached: snapshot_24.35_[2016.09.27_07.03.02].png (1920x1080, 2.77M)

It just werks

Our factory uses DOS, 98, 2000, XP, 7, 8.1, and 10. Also have some Linux Boxes floating around along with....... Raspberry Pis.

Depends on the uses. Computers connected to the normal network have 7, 8.1, or 10. Along with the Pis

Factory machines run DOS, 2000, XP, or 7. These machines are connected to their own network with not internet connection.

Computers with hardware for doing test have 98, 2000, XP. These are not connected to any network,

Forgot to add. It's not cheap updating the computers on machines or test equipment with newer systems due to hardware (ISA slots and cards and the special cables for connecting the PC to the machine) and software.

Machines can be retro fitted with newer equipment and hardware but it too much time consuming and costly.

ALL ABOUT THE GOLD

Because while all the regular PCs have been upgraded, a lot of specialty stuff like automation systems would be absurdly expensive to upgrade and usually isn't connected to the internet anyways.
As an example I'm still working with machines running XP because that's just the best thing that can run our old automation system. Sure we could change that too. New ones would even offer some advantage. But that would literally cost millions. Because it's not just reinstalling the OS but replacing almost everything in that building. Downtime would only add to that. A lot. All that only to do pretty much exactly what we're doing now? That'd be insane.
Another example, back in university we had a bunch of microscopes (including an electron microscope) operating on XP because you don't just swap the automation system on such a thing. There even was one working in DOS still. Because it did what it should and shouldn't do anything else.

So, the reason why commercial uses persis really boil down to it being absurdly expensive to upgrade machines that allready do what they need.

most conventional businesses use software that hasnt really changed much in many years or require some sort of hardware support that a more modern OS would have.

accounting, erp, purchasing, spreadsheets, email, and other related software doesnt really change that much since businesses prefer the consistency since time is money and wasting time relearning shit costs money.

also companies dont like to spend money unless it makes more money or saves more money.

One older lady, who worked at my first job, just couldn't navigate the ribbon interface in the newer office programs. She kept working on an isolated XP-machine, with MS Office 2003. She mainly used Excel for financial modelling and analysis. Her work was more valuable to the company, than the need to upgrade her system.

Attached: financial_modeling_course_3.png (1280x736, 465K)

Because it's still the best.

Attached: 519909-bigthumbnail.jpg (450x281, 83K)

Maybe he's trying to do look more like, I dunno.

my dentist uses win7 :)

Windows 7 has telemetry now too. It is also absolutely fucking botnet bullshit.
If you want to use a computer these days it's either XP, Vista, Linux or become a homosexual and use a Mac.

unironically a good shmup

Its the perfect solution. Why use bloated windows 10 computers with 8gb of ram and 3ghz or higher processing when all you need to do is type up some shit in a web browser at the doctors?

It would literally just be a waste of money in a system that's already good at wasting money.

its familiar. its easier to keep on using a retarded os that your employees are used to, than educating employees how to use a newer/more superior one

Our regional, government driven, dentist used some fucking image program as the base of their patient care setup. All patient journals where handled via a plug-in on said image program. It all ran on Windows 2000. They finally switched to appropriate software some time between 2014, and 2017.

The situation was similar at the local employment office. They had a weird setup, where every job seeker got their own Excel-file, named after their SSN. Every row in that file, contained time, date, handler ID and errand code. The notes from every meeting, where typed into an email, and the subject of the mail was SSN-YYMMDD-HH-CODE. This mail was then CC:d to everyone within the administrative region, together with a copy of the Excel-file! To find the information, they would search for my SSN in their inboxes.

>Because no security upgrades
nobody cares

Because XP already secure

Many companies are cheap and would rather endanger their customers and their customers' data than upgrade to a more secure operating system.

XP and Vista have always had universal backdoors. Microsoft has openly stated this.

They don't?

I work for a company that manages nearly 80k+ end user computes and we're all mostly Windows 10 now or Windows 7 for the few that coulnd't update due to vendor software.

>I work for literally the only company in the world that runs computers. Surely I know exactly what's going on

Fucking dipshit

>cringe pointless shit edgy aNiMe picture post
you made a pointless post just to upload this then samefagged yourself
>inb4 screencap "proving" is not samefag, insert RETARDS.png

>I work for an extremely large company that has an actual security team and knows how the risk of being in huge vulnerability ranges. Surely most other big companies are just as smart.

No one cares about your tiny 10 man business cunt.

XP seemed to suffer terribly from windows rot maybe not being connected to the internet helps but it seems like a nightmare to keep running.

Insurance will cover the fines/damages from the data breach
and it is cheaper than upgrading all your software that already works
>t. SysAdmin at a 500 and out of our ~8000 servers we still have about 200 W2k3 servers that are critical and still in production
>no plans to retire them for at least the next 2 years

Attached: 1529753996809.jpg (500x374, 106K)

>Because I do it means everyone does it!!
Retard alert

Tell me instead, why should they "upgrade"?

At which point XP is well under 1% of the market, and no malware writer is going to bother targeting it.

All "shopfront" computers in the Australian government are running Windows 10 now, too.

Hell, I saw a production NT 4.0 server still going at a site earlier this year.

Because XP already secure

And then you walk in to an industrial machine hall.

>end user computes
There's little reason not to update those, usually. It's the ones not used by end-users that are still needed for running insanely costly specialty tech (automation systems being a typical one, but there's also regular PCs kept for compatibility reasons. Would kind of suck not to be able to reopen old data because that program it's written in doesn't run on windows10)

isn't kernelex a meme

Anyone have that picture of the Indian in the tree cause I need it

>xp
>best windows
fucking idiot boomer.

sounds like you're just a cubicle cuck. I see XP machines running SEMs and STMs all the time, or CNC stuff, or mills and other assorted machinery.

Yeah I'd make sure to get an image of that drive while it's on because if you shut off an HDD that has been running for 15 years it's not spinning back up.