/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Create a parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Learn how to build a PC
Search youtube for a guide for your socket

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses; eg Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose and graphics card pairing.
>Don't use Speccy. Use HWinfo, SIV, etc.
>For Win7 in Ryzen, refer to pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

CPU
>Athlon 200GE - Minimal desktop
>R3 2200G - Bare minimum gaming(dGPU optional)
>R5 2400G/i5-8400 - Consider IF on sale
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming & multithreaded work use CPUs
>Wait for R7 3700X - Surely the best for gaming and not a massive overpriced disappointment like the 9700k
>R7 2700/X - Best high-end gaming/mixed usage on a non-HEDT platform
>Threadripper/Used Xeon - HEDT

RAM
>8GB - Enough for most gaming use
>16GB - Standard for heavy use
>32GB - If you have to ask, you don't need this
>CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 2933MHz+ is ideal

Graphics cards
>RTX 2000 cards are worse performance per $ than current GPUs. Just a marketing gimmick to rip off idiots
>Avoid cheap MODELS ie MSI Armor (Mk2 is ok), Gigabyte G1/Wf, ASUS dual, and others which have small heatsinks and low quality fans
1080p
>RX 570/580 /w Freesync or 1060 6GB are standard 1080p 60fps+ options
>1050 3Gb or RX560 4Gb for lower settings and/or older games
>GTX 1070Ti/Vega 56 if seeking higher FPS /w a high hz monitor
1440p
>Vega 56; 1070Ti/1080 if you already have Gsync
>GTX 1080Ti if seeking higher FPS /w a high hz monitor
>Upscale from 1620-1800p. Maybe 2080Ti, but awful value.
OpenCL use
>Vega 64

Storage
>Backup before using StoreMi
>Consider getting a larger SSD (better GB/$) instead of small SSD & large HDD
>2TB HDDs are barely more $ than 1TB
>M.2 is a form factor, NOT a performance standard
>NVMe are not for gaming; See "More"

Display
>Consider 75hz minimum; 60hz are mostly old models.
>Always consider FreeSync with AMD cards
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING

More
rentry.co/pcbg-more

Attached: heatsinks keep your ears cool.jpg (3840x1631, 367K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PsREHZ52v6U
pc-help.cnews.cz/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=198360&p=1543583
youtu.be/mcB2rIXk12Q
rentry.co/pcbg-more
youtube.com/watch?v=CL-JFh9BzH8
youtube.com/watch?v=KBmH5_rYcXM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

when are OP wars going to be over

When Hiroshimoot burns 4ch into ashes. There will no longer any OP, and therefore no war either.

Every 2200G vs 2400G gaming benchmark (with dGPU) I ever looked at gave maybe 2% fps edge to the 2400G. For 60 dollars extra that's pretty stupid. If you cared about multithreaded workloads you'd go for 2600 and up anyway.

Not entirely pc related, but is checkboard rendering any better than the old interlacing technique?
Does it have any impact on framerate?

2% on averages maybe, averaged out across many titles.
But plenty of games will use more than 8 threads.

youtube.com/watch?v=PsREHZ52v6U 2400G is up to 50% higher FPS than the 2200G in Assassin's Creed Origins
10-20% above the 8100 in the more demanding scenes where framerates gets lower, as well.
With an overclock it looks like the 2400G could presumably stay above 60fps while the 4 thread CPUs all can't.
Anyway, 50% is a lot more than 2%. You aren't going to make that up with an overclock.

There are artifacts. Imo the best compromise is 4k no AA.
Naughty Dog, if I'm thinking correctly, has their own special reconstruction technique that looks decent. Maybe I'm confusing them with another studio. Haven't seen it on any PC games.
Digital Foundry is where you should look.

When one guy stops shilling 6 threads for $200-300.

imagine thinking one multi billion dollar corporation is less jewish than another multi billion dollar company
imagine spending your days defending one of them and shitting on the other

is this the tech nerd equivalent of white knighting thots on the internet?

Well, Origins is an interesting example and I'm sure Odyssey has similar results, but I think we're in the realm of unoptimized piece of shit ports here. I wouldn't think of playing something like Mankind Divided on a PC, for example, and I certainly wouldn't adjust my build just for those outliers. But at the end of the day, it's about your use case and if it's an option, playing an occasional multiplat on a console can save a lot of headache.

Rather than existing benchmarks, I'm curious to see how 4c 4/8t cpus will hold up next gen.

>last 3 boards have been gigabyte with zero problems
Is there any reason I shouldn't continue with them for AM4?

Apparently the DRM encryption/decryption uses a good deal of CPU, but Ubisoft games in general have been extremely well threaded for years with the *exception* of Far Cry Primal. R6 Siege is an extremely well optimized game, honestly perhaps THE most optimized game considering all that goes on with the destructable shit, yet it'll do 200fps on a 2400G, and it scales better on the 2400G than 2200G as well.

But anyway, I never made the claim that 8 threads is needed for 60fps minimums in every game. But it is true for a very significant amount to the point that even a 8350k overclocked to 5GHz won't do 60fps minimums in some games. Often Ubisoft ones, but still. Totalwar games and some others are other examples IIRC, too. Cryengine games generally want more than 4 threads as well.
Obviously for Overwatch and shit, you're fine. But you can't just average the games where it makes no difference into the ones that do and claim it gets 60fps minimum on average so it gets 60fps in every game. Doesn't work that way. The edge cases matter, especially as they move further from the edge and toward the middle.

2200G is attractive despite only being 4 threads because it's only $100 (and has a good iGPU). Not because it guarantees a minimum of 60fps in every game CPU wise, because it doesn't. No 4 thread CPU does, and none have since like 2013, let alone now.

That said, for that user's needs, yes the 2200G is fine. But I got the impression that they wanted to be close to that $500 budget and to get the most possible for $500 money instead of getting it cheaper. So the 2400G fits even if user will get some faster window tabbing out of it and nothing else.

Yes, you shouldn't.. Gigabyte AM4 boards are notably bad. Stay away. Their Intel boards are fine, though. Also should generally avoid their GPUs.

>16gb 3200mhz ram dropped to 140 euros here
It was 180 2 months ago

Attached: monkas.png (1200x675, 211K)

I have a Sapphire GPU, its nice... OK, I will research into other brands for motherboard.

>tfw

Attached: vega64.png (1748x572, 158K)

I don't disagree, 2400G just feels weird to me to recommend. That user will get more life out of a 2400G machine than a 2200G machine, that's for sure. At the same time though, if you're at a budget those 60 dollars (or 70 eurobucks where I live) matter. And he will still be able to upgrade in 2020, which I'm sure will have good APUs.

Generally speaking though, I think people who see themselves getting a dGPU somewhere down the line should skip 2400G entirely because it pretty much costs the same as 2600 (again, going by my prices) and that's a pretty significant performance bump. At that point it only makes sense to save up for a dGPU straight up. Which I guess is why OP recommends it only on a sale.

>every pro-Intel post gets you .1% off a new CPU up to 50% off
Would you?

>still have to buy a new mobo each time
yeah no

wtf doesnt intel have socket class like amd?

Should I wait for more 9th gen motherboards if I might buy 8th gen CPU?

I mean I agree the price on the 2400G is too high. It's $60 more for the SMT and 3 more CUs (of which you get memory bottlenecked with and 8 CUs overclocked matches the 11 CUs overclocked within 90-95%)
But it's in user's budget and is a pretty nice $500 box, all things considered.

I wish it was more like $130. It used to often be on sale at that price... but not anymore for months now since Intel isn't offering competition.

They do but they arbitrarily block CPUs based on the chipset even though the socket doesn't change.

Why would you buy an Intel CPU currently?
Unless it's like a prebuilt with a 8400 which is actually cheap (like 8400+RX580 for $700) there is no point.

Because there's no Ryzen CPU that's up to pair with the 8700k, 9700k and 9900k in gaming.

2700X matches/beats an overclocked 8700k if you BCLK OC it, though. Much more efficient and better for day to day use, too

As for the 9700k and 9900k, they're retarded overpriced and you already said you were planning on 8th gen.

Whats a good CPU cooler to go with the 2600X?
GTAV on high with a gtx1060 and warm ambient temps are making it go to up to 70C and sometimes 80C. I'm not sure what i should do other than get a fan for actual airflow because right mow my case has only 2 fans for taking hot air out

Z370 is compatible with 9th gen

How do I know if a VRM is good? Talking about something that can handle 9900K 5ghz OC.

show me the benchmark bro

Because I'm not looking for a gaming PC. I'm expecting compatibility. Also power consumption and thermals.

Intel > AMD for these.

Also Intel prices skyrocketed since summer, here.

>inb4 mined card

Intel provides a superior...netflix experience, that's for sure.

And basically every professional software out there like Adobe Premiere.

>R6 Siege is an extremely well optimized game, honestly perhaps THE most optimized game considering all that goes on with the destructable shit, yet it'll do 200fps on a 2400G, and it scales better on the 2400G than 2200G as well.
Lies

pc-help.cnews.cz/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=198360&p=1543583
Only at a conservative 102 BCLK. Lots of people do 104-105 fine.

Not many have tested this besides a few youtubers and smaller outlets.

How deluded and blindly ignorant are you to not know that Ryzen has vastly lower power consumption and thermals than *lake?
Literally year and a half old news and you haven't heard it nor looked into it.

Actually AMD APUs support 4K Netflix now, too. I think for AMD GPUs as well? Not sure. It's DRM shit.

Attached: perf watt.png (1500x719, 49K)

>Cinebench

Epic

A-any news on Polaris refresh?

It's a lie that Ryzen has better power consumption because the shills always post the Power consumption/cores. As a package Intel is better especially their locked CPUs.

>Cinebench
Yes, Intel's favorite benchmark.
Anyway, not an argument. It's a well established fact, one that nearly every source will back up, that Ryzen has higher perf/watt. Whether it's gaming, decompression, browser usage, anything.

I'm sure you'll be able to find something cherry picked where 2700X uses 10% more power than a 8700k and neglect to point out it also completes the task 25% faster so its perf/watt is higher and thus it's more efficient. Shills do that a lot only to get BTFO.

>Intel's favourite benchmark
Gonna need a source on that

>shills do that a lot only to get btfo
Said the shill

>Yes, Intel's favorite benchmark.

Irrelevant. Cinebench is not a game.

>Whether it's gaming
Keep lying

Look at the motherboard, look at what components are used, look up the manufacturers datasheet on those components and what they are rated to do.
>Talking about something that can handle 9900K 5ghz OC.
Calculate the power draw, voltage, nanometer process and size, do some math and get an estimate, double check with previous gen intel cpus at 5ghz.
Now that you know that amount you should know what the minimum quality/quantity/configuration of components you need is.

No one does that.
You're lying.
You're also wrong.

Even the biggest Intel shills have to admit that Ryzen has far, far high perf/watt. But you're trolling instead of simply shilling like

>They do but they arbitrarily block CPUs based on the chipset even though the socket doesn't change.
thats fucking stupid, just another mark again intel in my book

Fuck me that sounds hard. Thanks though

Actually I need it for stuff like and programming.

AMD is the designated house fire company. Not going to fall for your tricks. Even if AMD would fix it's performance for anything that's not videogames and office.

>Fuck me that sounds hard.
It's not easy, which is why vast majority of people don't know what they are talking about. However it's the only accurate methods.
Manufactures can tell on their site that a motherboard is an 8 phase, but if you look at the motherboard and it's components and know how phases and VRMS work, then it's impossible for it to be anything but a 4 phase.
At the very least double check the thing you are thinking of buying and how many actual phases it has so you aren't buying an expensive board thinking you are getting quality while the VRMs are the same as on a motherboard that is 50-60 euros cheaper.

Alright. Well I think going 5Ghz 9900K is not for me yet. I should learn all these things first. I'll stick to my original plan of Z370 and 8086K

>AMD is the designated house fire company.
Trolling outside of /b/ is against the rules, you know.

Attached: ryzen gaming power consumption.png (712x1441, 153K)

Does it actually matter which motherboard i buy, as long as its the right chipset?
Thinking of just getting the cheapest one i can get for the 1151

Whats the real difference between these CPUs? Other than base clock speed, power consumption and rice. Which is /pcbg/ approved?

Attached: ryzen 5 2600x vs ryzen 5 2600.png (1088x687, 58K)

Top 5 is 4/5 amd though, you high or something?

Depends what you want to do with it. If you're planning on doing any overclocking at all, you need a different chipset that's going to be more important.

Intel was never big on reusing sockets like AMD, throughout their entire company history. They only started reusing motherboards since the Broadwell-E era and only for HEDT parts. It only trickled down with the Skylake release because they're pretty much stuck there although theoretically you should be able to run the 6700k and 7700k on a Z370/Z390 platform.

Intel knows that nobody buys CPUs every year or two and by the time you upgrade your system you're going to buy a new motherboard anyway.

There's a reason why there's a legion of 2500k/3770k/4770k/4790k owners in here.

Wasnt really planning on it.
I was planning on getting the 9700k, even if its overpriced, and then just putting parts of my old rig back in.
Nothing fancy really.

amd always seemed easier/nicer to upgrade with, very large range of cpu can be run in the same socket/chipset

>Well I think going 5Ghz 9900K is not for me yet.
Depends, I suggest you just wait it out, see what the reviews are, and consider if it's worth it for you.
> I should learn all these things first.
Very smart to learn something before you buy it, not after.
>I'll stick to my original plan of Z370 and 8086K
Keep it as a fall back.

2600X can go higher with a BCLK OC and performs as well stock as the 2600 does overclocked.
It also comes with a better cooler.
Hard to say it's worth the extra $45 unless you just want better gaming performance without messing with an overclock yourself.
That $45 is generally better spent on faster RAM, more SSD capacity, a better monitor, or better GPU. But for my money I'd just... get all those things. Depends on budget.

Ones with really shitting VRMs can cause VRM throttling.

A fuckload of people with a 2500k wished they could have upgraded to a 4770k or 4790k and would have if they didn't need a new board.
Intel was just the only option for years unless you were making a

>Does it actually matter which motherboard i buy, as long as its the right chipset?
Yes it matters a lot.

>Ones with really shitting VRMs can cause VRM throttling.
You forgot bios, which dictates what kind of OC you can use well, and memory compatibility.

That's an overclockable CPU. You're spending extra for something you won't be able to use. Post full build just so you don't do something stupid.

GTX 1070
i5-4690k
8GB RAM
Z87-G41 PC Mate
I dont remember when i built it first, but its a few years old and i'm fairly certain i didnt do any research back then.

Sandybridge is different from Haswell.

Which of the two processors do you think could go higher OC'd? I already have good SSD and GPU.

congratulations, you picked literally the most long lasting CPU (with the possible exceptions of the i5 2500k)

don't buy an i9, and look at some benchmarks god damn: youtu.be/mcB2rIXk12Q

What's going on with the 1080ti prices and availability? Did they stop manufacturing it or something?
>inb4 buy a used one from ebay
No, fuck off.

Its starting to show signs of age though, some slow down and stutters here and there.
I mostly just wanted to upgrade my RAM, but i feel like it makes more sense to upgrade to DDR4 than to get more DDR3.
Like i said, i was planning on getting the i7 9700k, 16GB DDR4, new motherboard and a new case, while keeping my old cooler, power supply, etc.

Is the Asrock RX560 a 560d? The price is pretty great atm.

Attached: 1467756492295.jpg (1280x720, 79K)

you should have said from the beginning that you're trying to put together a new build around your 1070

check if it has less that 1024 stream processors, if it does then it's the gimped version.

are there any limits other than
>until it starts crashing
when it comes to ram overclock?

I have 2x8Gb of Patriot "Signature" DDR4 marked at 2400mhz

For a few days I had it running at 2666, worked fine, now I bumped it another notch to 2733 and it seems to be working fine too, but it'd be nice if they didn't explode or something when I play a game for 1h or something

Attached: wtf9.jpg.png (429x410, 10K)

on Ryzen 1800X btw

Bulldozer is different from Phenom II, yet they could often use the same socket (some boards even got a BIOS upgrade for AM3 to AM3+). Raven Ridge and different from Pinnacle Ridge, yet they could use the same socket.
You're a retarded apologist.

You do BCLK OC if you want to drive the 2600X higher.

>47fps
threadlets BTFO.
4690k is not a 4790k.

Too high of memory voltage can degrade it and make it harder to hold stable clocks/timings at a given voltage. But generally 1.4v-1.5v is safe unless you have a hotbox.

They probably did stop making them. They had too high of stock for a while. I know they stopped making 1070s when they released the 1070ti.

Nice! I got a Vega 54 for 230€ a while ago.

>You do BCLK OC if you want to drive the 2600X higher.
What's the maximum anybody has gotten on air OC with the 2600?

got a RX580 for 280€ wut. well it had a bundle that I resold for 150€ but still.

>You do BCLK OC if you want to drive the 2600X higher.
Oops, should have read your previous reply better, thanks for the info.

>rentry.co/pcbg-more
Does this say NVMe is not for gaming because it doesn't add any benefit? I want NVMe for less cables

>Two bulldozers and a 12 core and 16 core CPU
>12 core Ryzen uses less power than a 10 core intel
>16 core only uses 2 more watts

So this is apparently the fan and heatsink that comes with the Ryzen 5 2600x... Kind of looks like a piece of shit. I'm sure it does the job, but what are some better options?

Attached: amd fan and heatsink.png (641x486, 146K)

better options start at almost anything that costs 20$ or more.

what kind of motherboard do you need to bclk oc a 2700x? one of those $250+ types?

it's fine

NVMeme is a controller type, not form factor.

God damn how'd you get 150€ for those 3 games?

Probably a little over 4.3? But 4.2-4.25 is far more common and expected.
2600X does 4.25 on 2 cores stock without the hassle and can BCLK OC further up to around 4.43 on 2 cores while still doing 4.2 all core.

It's like the 2nd best stock cooler of any CPU for sale at the moment, just behind the 2700X one. IIRC the 2700 is the same but with the LED ring.
It's perfectly fine to run it stock, and its stock speed is generally perfectly fine as well.
But better ones for cheaper are like the GAMMAXX 400 or one of those Artic ones.
In the $35 range is more ideal, like the Cryorig H7 and Bequiet Pure Rock.

One with a clockgen afaik, even though it actually shouldn't be required as you could technically just run everything at 105 BCLK.
There's probably a list somewhere but I haven't seen one.

sold the games for 50 each irl.

What the best Motherboard with an AM4 socket for 100 Euros?

I have a windows 7 license key, can I still upgrade free to windows 10?

probably the MSI Mortar/Tomahawk
yes

youtube.com/watch?v=CL-JFh9BzH8 Will Intel ever recover?

Be honest with me, if I build a Ryzen 7 2700x system, how long will it last me? Assume I spend around the same on a motherboard and get at least 16GB of good RAM. Is it just going to become shit once AMD's new processors come out in 2020?

>one of the first retards to get the Aorus 2080
>oc's to 2105
>max temp during timespy was 72c
>dead quiet as well

Shame the RGB fans are actually seizure inducing.

Attached: 20181013_054715.jpg (2016x1512, 1.9M)

Is a non-k 8600 much better than an 8400?

>unironically buying rgb shit
I will never understand this

Next CPU's are coming out in 2019 silly. Just buy the 3700X then and sell your 2700X. Make sure you get a good X470 board like the Crosshair VII though.

>2019
Shit.
Well, good point about the board.
Will 16GB of RAM be enough?

This is my 4th PC build. All my previous were minimalistic no window ones dating back to 2007. The change is refreshing in that it looks different.

Attached: 20181012_112815.jpg (2016x1512, 1.68M)

You buy anything remotely premium its going to have RGB. For GPUs and motherboards its unavoidable
But still tho RGB fans, RGB RAM and shitty AIO? is that really all needed?

>You buy anything remotely premium its going to have RGB
I get that but when people light shit up like a christmas tree and put it in a windowed case I can't help but cringe. I mean, just look at this monstrosity

So basically Intel cheats on their tests even though they don't need to? Not exactly cheat, but use the "wrong" mode on AMD chips, even though you would presumably use "gamer mode" instead of "creator mode" when playing games? What the hell is the point of these modes then?

>So basically Intel cheats on their tests even though they don't need to?
Yes.
The thing is that even though Intel is going to be the best gaming CPU for performance (this cannot be disputed) there not going to be the best for value. It's really hard to sell a CPU to a general consumer that only performs 15% faster while being almost twice the cost than the competition. They have to make the performance gap as large as possible to make the price premium more appealing

>this cannot be disputed
How to spot a shill in disguise

Objectively the tests show that Intel wins out. Even in the retest. Did you watch the video or not?

I actually linked to the wrong thing.
youtube.com/watch?v=KBmH5_rYcXM

That user is surely right. Even if you disable the insecure HT, 8 strong cores on bingbus is going to be good in every game.
I wouldn't pay the price, nor for the inefficiency, nor for the fact that 10nm will require new boards when 7nm AMD chips are coming out next year, though. But it's still a fact that Intel will have a pretty indisputable gaming advantage for a few months.

I don't think it'll be like the 2700X vs 8700k where the 2700X with a BCLK OC actually can often match/beat the 8700k overclocked to 5Ghz+.
Though there's also the question of if you really need more than a 2600X, let alone the 2700X.
Even though I agree, you can't cite that when it's a sponsored test. Need multiple sources. Also need OC vs BLCK OC tests with 3466 CL14 memory all around to really get a good picture. IIRC PT was overloading the memory controller with 4 DIMMs which hurts performance.
That's not
>objective