/spg/ - Smartphone General

Huawei Mate 20 Pro Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com
kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: Huawei-Mate-20-Pro-9.jpg (1724x1293, 378K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blogs.sonymobile.com/2018/08/16/can-update-xperia-android-pie/
reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/wiki/bootloader
fonearena.com/blog/256920/xiaomi-miui-10-notification-panel-again.html
9to5mac.com/2018/10/12/iphone-xs-max-battery-life/amp/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_3.0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Will sony xz1 compact get android 9?

hi5 another XZ1 compact user
Yes, expected around december

Attached: 1535958261127.jpg (600x546, 36K)

I don't really follow smartphones anymore but I need a new one soon. Currently have a LG G4.
Budget is max 500 Euro, looking at a Pocofone.
Is it the best budget smartphone you can buy right now?

Avoid chink shit for its chink shit software
Get the LGV30

Yes:
blogs.sonymobile.com/2018/08/16/can-update-xperia-android-pie/

Android Q will come next year

>Get the LGV30
And get LG's shit software instead

>Is it the best budget smartphone you can buy right now?
Yes.

Name one phone in 2017 - 2018 that has not been a giant dissapointment.

Note 9. Note 8

Any idea when the xz4 premium or whatever it'll be called is coming out? I really like the xz3 (minus the fact that it lacks a headphone jack), but i may as well wait for a little while if the next "premium" phone is being released soon.
Can't seem to find any leaks online, guess nobody cares about Sony phones.

MWC 2019 in February 2019 is the earliest I'd except to hear about any new Sony flagships. XZ Premium went on sale June 2017, XZ2 Premium on July 2018.

>he doesn't know

Attached: 1469910642182.gif (400x400, 2.61M)

gave my old phone to my mom and after 2 months the battery doesn't even last 5 hours because google play services has 90% app usage, how do I remove it?

So I got a redmeme note 5. What should I do to it to ungoogle it and get a decent os on it?

Also I hear I need to get unlock from xiaomi

Attached: 10 - wDNv4KG.jpg (300x350, 31K)

go to xda

Sounds like the phone's got a wakelock. Basically Google Play services has got stuck trying to complete some process and is now using up all your battery. You don't need to remove Play services to fix, and you shouldn't because doing that will stop Google apps from functioning. Try these things to fix the wakelock:
1. In settings, go to apps -> show system apps -> find Google play services on the list -> Clear data and cache
If that doesn't fix it then
2. uninstall all updates for Google play services (three dot menu in upper right corner) and then re-update it to the latest version by pressing "app details" (this will open the play store).

Other options that could fix the wakelocks
3. In the app list, press the three dot menu and select "reset app preferences".
4. In settings -> account -> Google -> account sync -> disable and re-enable syncing for everything and then do "sync now" from the three dot menu. Pay attention that every app listed manages to sync itself.

If nothing else fixed it, do a full factory reset. Remember to backup all personal information.

Start by getting the bootloader unlocked:
reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/wiki/bootloader

I plan on buying a Pixel 3. What am I in for?

A rip off and big brother anally ravaging you for data

a big disappointment marketed as the next big thing

Thank you. I heard if I say to xiaomi that a distributor installed a custom miui and I want to install the original that they would give me the unlock codes quicker. Anyone do this?

Attached: 29 - aJz11Wo.gif (245x245, 967K)

Anal rape

That notch is too big. And wtf is that top bezel

Nah, won't work. If you email their support they'll just reply with something along the line of "please be patient and wait the unlock time".

What's the best phone for someone in the US? Money isn't a problem

thanks user, it worked

best overall? LG V35 ThinQ
>no notch
>1440p AMOLED
>SD 845
>IP68
>mSD
>quad DAC
>3.5mm jack
just recently got exploited for bootloader unlock and root, TWRP is available and there's a bounty right now on XDA for ROM development

XS Max, Pixel 3 XL, Note 9

Did anyone around try xiaomi.eu stable on the Mi Max 3? I've been using the weekly ROM since I got this thing but it's honestly quite buggy.

way to expensive.
waiting for the 6T

>Oneplus products after Oneplus 3
Drop the price by $200, add wireless charging and an IP rating and we'll talk. Until then the pricing has become so close to the regular flagships that you may as well just buy the flagships.

>flagship specs
>cheap-ass price
>same battery capacity as the note 9
>better value than ishit in general
The only thing that breaks the deal for me is the notch though ;_;

Attached: xiaomi-pocophone-f1-4.jpg (707x700, 70K)

Riddle me this: Are multiple cameras on a phone just a meme? From what I've seen the Google pixels photos aren't noticeably worse than the p20 pro. The way I see it having 3x the cameras just means you have 3 times the chance of your phone breaking. Everyone knows megapixels don't mean shit. 40mp on a phone is still gonna look like ass. Why would you even want a telephoto lens on your phone, the photos will only come out blurry anyway. How often do you put your phone on a tripod? I've heard the black and white camera is pretty much useless as well. This whole multi camera thing reminds me of the 3d tv obsession a few years ago. Anyway someone tell me which new/recent release I should get to take nice photos

Attached: 1498000637448.jpg (1346x1427, 221K)

Attached: 268zj7.jpg (645x729, 26K)

>muh notch
This is some new kind of extreme autism.

The black values are good enough that hiding it works out allright. But I agree that it shouldn't be there in the first place

Attached: Screenshot_2018-10-13-16-22-19-936_com.android.chrome.png (1080x2246, 541K)

niqqa fuck your shit my deal breaker it's the lack of B4 band

Pixel 3 has the best camera on the market.

Something in the medium price range that can fulfill all your everyday needs and a decent DSLR

I've heard that can work alright, but it's still kind of a deal breaker for me and I'd be happy if they release a Pocophone without the notch
Yeah, tough luck using a Xiaomeme in America since lol no special snowflake LTE bands xdddd

That won't happen I think. At least not in the foreseeable future. It'll take about a year or so until they release a new phone. And they're probably gonnna go up with the prices too for the next generation after having penetrated all the markets they wanted to with the first gen.

Best phone for under €150?

>Are multiple cameras on a phone just a meme?
yes, they are only used for muh bokeh or optical zoom or muh black n white pic with one color
same
>spic version they promised never ever

Unfortunate really, that phone's perfect in most fronts with a nice price, but it has to have a notch
At least you can hide it I guess, unlike with iCuck phones which doesn't even have the decency to include that option

Redmi Note 5 or Mi A2 Lite from China

Question: anyone ever sold their rooted phone on ebay?

I upgraded to an Essential and am going to flip my very well-used Moto G5 Plus on ebay for a couple bucks. I was going to reflash the stock OTA and relock the bootloader, but then realized it'll still show the "WARNING: we know you unlocked your shit, nigger, and don't forget your bitch ass warranty is void!" screen on bootup since they're jews about that.

If I jazz up my ebay listing to highlight that it's already rooted, should I expect it to sell for more or less? Maybe install Lineage 16.0 and everything? I'm guessing best case, it'll have a neutral effect, and at worst, might alienate some buyers.

Attached: boot loops.jpg (600x960, 184K)

What I'd do is just return it to completely stock and relock the bootloader, and just mention the fact in it's been unlocked in the item description.

>touted for having a fuckload of little features
>can't expand lockscreen notifications

why

Attached: miui-10-xiaomi.jpg (750x500, 19K)

You can expand the notifications, at least on MIUI 10 beta builds
>In MIUI 10, notifications can be expanded with a long press or by pressing the triangular icon next to it.
fonearena.com/blog/256920/xiaomi-miui-10-notification-panel-again.html

I know normal notifications can be expanded, I'm talking about lockscreen ones. Can't do shit on those.

Meizu 16th?

no NFC
no AMOLED screen
cheap ass plastic, but no removable battery

stay away with this panjeet shitphone

You can change the battery very easily, also plastic is a plus you anyways use a plastic case

Only no AMOLED may be a legitimate critique point depending on your preferences

Ah, gotcha. I think that's a security feature. At least on stock Android you can choose whether notifications on lockscreen show any information or not, maybe a similar setting exists in MIUI.

Attached: Screenshot_20181013-181341.png (702x532, 36K)

9to5mac.com/2018/10/12/iphone-xs-max-battery-life/amp/
How does the Note 9 keep doing it? Absolute UNIT

Attached: Screenshot_20181006-125051_YouTube.jpg (1439x1036, 405K)

Yeah, it's set at "show all notification content". I guess I'll just cope with that.

best stock android custom for whyred (redmi note 5)? lineage and pixel experience look like the only good ones

>a screenshot is supposed to show off how well the notch is hidden
hmm

i have a question about buying phone, i was told this by the shop:

"This phone is new, not used, but because it's imported, not distributed in the US by Samsung, it has been opened and unlocked.

It has no Samsung support, so it may not receive updates.

It has no Samsung warranty, but it does have a B&H one year limited warranty.

B&H provides a warranty identical to the provisions and limitations of the manufacturer's warranty."

should i still buy it? thanks anons.

Which phone and how much

This

no. want to use gpay with my phones.
and I want at least a nice aluminum body, it's not 1998 anymore.

is the pixel 3 (non-XL) worth buying?

what should I spend my money on instead?

>battery life
>not slow when using apps (especially firefox)
>waterproof would be nice
>wireless charging would be nice

thinking of getting the Galaxy S9+

Mi8 vs S8+
Same price, same level of specs. What to pick my dudes?

I am broke itoddler tho, so i like miui style more than smsng-expr.

Attached: 14259334458380.png (460x411, 306K)

S9 isn't a bad choice. Their phones aren't fucking overbloated anymore. if you're okay with slow updates, go for it.

Samsungs cameras are shit though, more to the point their processing. It makes everything look like plasticine

Mi 8

I'd pick the Pixel over the S9.

GCam is working well on the S9 so you don't have to deal with Samsungs shitty camera processing.

> Mi 8
But why?

What's the iPhone SE equivalent with Android?

XZ1 / XZ2 Compact

Getting a new phone tomorrow, should I go with the Note 9 or S9 plus?

the note 9 gets a bigger battery and the stylus, decide for yourself

my phone charges fast on a 2 amp charger, but charges slow on a USB 3.0 port which suppsedly could emit more amps

phone is a Xiaomi with a micro B plug

is this a universal thing?

An USB 3.0 port on a PC? It'll only give max. 0.9A:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_3.0

Other than probably price are there any real downsides? It's a retarded question without a metric but is there a feel difference?

oh crap, alright
thanks for clearing that up...

i just gave you the two only significant differences

Honor 8X or iPhone SE?

Alright I guess I'll see tomorrow but probably the Note. Also it's the last Note isn't it? Might as well have one while I still have the choice.

what about the size? note 9 is a phablet, like it requires a stylus to use

>holding that huge thing up to your earn when making calls
S9+ is a more aesthetic form factor

Nobody actually talks on phones anymore. I bet Applel could remove the ability to actually place cellular calls on the X3 or whatever the fuck and it would be the newest BRAVE DECISION.

Honest question, what is it with the autistic obsession over "notches" on this board?
Is it because Apple did it first?
Why would you even give the hint of a fuck about something as unimportant as this?

>Apple did it first
That would be Essential, who did it 6 months before applel did.

I see.
Still doesn't answer the question.

because it's impractical and ugly as shit and ruins otherwise great phones

How is it impractical?

S9+ isn't significantly smaller. It's 3mm shorter and 3mm less wide, like .2mm less thick.

Same here, but is it really a problem if Im always connected to Wi-Fi?
I am so close from buying this phone but the lack of the LTE bands is still bugging me and I dont know why.

wasted space on your notification bar?

also the fact that the extra "screen real estate" is fucking useless. what exactly does one gain from those tiny edges?

Ask yourself: do you really need LTE all the time? 3G isn't that bad, and my country anything above 4GB is expensive as shit and you're forced to watch videos in 240p anyways

>but is it really a problem if Im always connected to Wi-Fi?
depends on where you live and what carrier you're using

non-international Xiaomi phones don't have B9 which is kind of a deal-breaker in rural Germany

Everything below LTE is ending transmission on December 31, 2019 in the USA so all phones not capable of LTE or 5G will become useless.

>B9
B20 I mean
and there are talks about discontinuing 3G in the near future

>what exactly does one gain from those tiny edges?
what does one lose from the notch?
you are just autistic over it because it's a meme to be against it.
there is absolutely no reason to get upset over the "notch"

do you really need to extra 2cm in the notification bar? how many fucking icons does one person need up there?

>talks
The sunset dates by AT&T and Verizon have already been set.

HUAWEI COMIN' THROUGH WITH THAT NOTCH

Attached: ohno.jpg (1273x922, 108K)

no man the notch is fucking hideous
I'm enjoying my S9, you can't argue with those features. Best display on the market, 4/6GB and an 845, microSD, and most importantly a headphone jack (can't believe I'm actually listing this as a feature)
You can find em relatively cheap on eBay, I got it for just under 500 slightly used