My little sister was about to make a poster for her college's project, she asked me what program she should us

>my little sister was about to make a poster for her college's project, she asked me what program she should us
>gave her GIMP since I was too lazy to help her cracking photoshop
>she kept asking me here and there
>told me that GIMP was confusing
>had enough of her complains and got her pirated photoshop
>she didn't complain anymore and finished her job
Why did freetards tell me that GIMP was good enough anyway?

Attached: 1511021239508.png (1247x729, 80K)

correct, you should have told her to use paint

>seething freetard

samefag

should've told that dumb bitch that she can suck your cock

>gave her GIMP
>probably didn't activate single window mode
>she now has 6 million windows flowing around

SEETHING

Okay. Photoshop and GIMP both tend to work fine for me. Anyway, question for artistfriends - would Krita have been a better choice for OP's sister than GIMP?

GIMP does have a fucking UI problem, and a stupid fucking name. And updates occasionally break plugins, which is funny, since this is the only really good part about this surprisingly bloated piece of shit. It's still my go-to for image manipulation. But if I needed it more than once every quarter, I would just buy something with better support and user experience.

I believe that the only future for GIMP is modular base tools, combined with stronger plug-in integration. They also need good educational material. And most of all, they need to stop trying to be for everyone. Photoshop and PaintShop Pro already exist for that market.
(Pic related. Something like this for creating new filters and brushes.)

Attached: UE4_Script_Documentation_Button3.jpg (720x404, 74K)

This but unironically.

>a stupid fucking name
It must be against the CoC.

Nice strawman faggot

Just because GIMP is a bad example of free software doesn't mean free software equals shit

Nice reading comprehension, faggot. I was complaining why freetards told me that GIMP was good eventhough it wasn't.

the only thing I draw from your complaint is that your sister had at least some experience with photoshop. GIMP isn't a photoshop clone, so obviously it'd be easier for someone who already knows at least some photoshop to simply stick with what they know over what they don't.

Only smart people can use GIMP. PS (stands for Piece 'o Shit) is for proprietard brainlets.

Give all main releases some provocative name then. Like X: Women are only good for fucking edition, X: A chopped off dick is still a dick you degenerates edition, or why not X: A 45 percent suicide rate is not enough edition.
>Well the name is incredibly offensive. But you can't deny that it's the fucking best at what it does.
>I didn't like the latest update. I think I'll just stick with "Niggers never invented anything" for a while longer.

Attached: Mediterranean - 01.jpg (5120x2880, 3.48M)

It would be sweet to be able to create something like:
>Canvas -> Detect edges -> Sharpen.
>Soft brush -> Remove channels: blue -> Clone.
>Canvas -> Detect edges -> Make spline -> Spline to path: Dicks.png

>confirmed for never having used photoshop
/gd/ here, someone who hasn't used PS before will have similar results with it to someone who hasn't used GIMP before.
both aren't for making posters. fuck off and die, I'll never make a logo for one of your shitty projects again.

>gimp
>for a high res poster
You know inkscape exists, right? Gimp is for editing raster images, inkscape is for creating vector images that scale to any resolution without any loss in detail.

Attached: inkscape-vs-gimp-thumb-2.png (600x400, 64K)

...but Photoshop is free, you got it for free yourself.

Free as in freedom, not free beer.

high res posters are rasterized, what is the point of using vectors?

This user is right. I thought OP said collage, not college. A poster is best created with vector graphics. If you send it off to a printing company, they probably prefer PDF:s with embedded SVG-files anyway. This is at least true for our screen printing business.

Attached: Vertical-Screen-Printing-Machine-YKP6080-YKP4060-.jpg (720x404, 90K)

it's literally named GIMP what did you expect a perfect ripoff?

only one word .....Krita

poster printers don't use SVGs. Screen printers are not poster printers, they are far more than that.

When you transfer the image to printing machines, rasters will look like shit if they don't match up with the printer. You could get, for example, a skewed red channel. If you need to use photos, you should aim for a DPI that is double that of the printer.

you can skip the pain of redoing everything if you want higher resolution
smaller file sizes
doesn't look like crap if printer prints at 99% scale for some stupid reason

>A4 @ 300 dpi
> ~ 24000 px by 35000 px

Depends on the quantity. We also print on flasks and bottles using printing rollers. The standard is PDF:s with either embedded SVG:s, or Adobe Illustrator-files. These are then split up into CMYK-channels, and are then sent to machines that etch the images on aluminum plates. It's during this step that the images are rasterised. These plates are then mounted on rollers, and aligned before printing. This is used for quantities of a million or more bottles. We have customers that send us JPG:s, that we then recreate in Illustrator for a small fee. If they want a photo printed on the bottle, we ask for images with 200+ DPI.
If it's a digital printer, then you can use both vector graphics, and raster images. But you need images with at least 90+ DPI, ideally 200+ DPI if you want it to look good.

GNU does not have a CoC. Fuck off Linuxtard

Post pics of sister or you're a fucking liar. GIMP is easy.

He already posted

>he's using the wrong tool for the job then blaming the tool

Attached: 3fe.png (600x536, 253K)

This. I recently made a poster for a school project in Inkscape and it worked just fine.

but gimp should be like ps, gimp should just be ps for linux

I dare to say that anyone who willingly install a Linux-system, would be interested in something a little more powerfull than a PS-clone. See my example:

Attached: op_tries_to_hang_a_frame.gif (360x270, 1.01M)

negro, what do you think they were before the raster image was made?

>recommending GIMP
kys

Your little sister will grow to be a good drone and pay subscriptions for every piece of software she uses.
I'm sorry, OP.

>having standards is the same as sucking kike cock
Sometimes you need to take it up the ass to be able to get your work done.
It ain't comfortable but it also doesn't make you gay. If there was an alternative, it would be taken. GIMP is not one.

if you want gimp to improve then either donate to them or contribute yourself, don't complain when things don't get better and you get used to the cock being up your ass

How do you contribute to a project without a clear goal? GIMP as it is now, is a schizophrenic mess that doesn't know what it wants to be. Does it want to be Photoshop? Autodesk SketchBook? And why try to be like something else? It should aim for advanced users, not every user.

Fuck. It looks like I'm taking a dump on GIMP, which I'm not. It's still my go-to for more advanced image manipulation. It's just very convoluted to use it. The experience is not good for either advanced users, or people who just wants to touch up their vacation photos.
I really like the integration of pic related.

Attached: gegl-reject.png (400x300, 21K)

I just pirate ps

i pirated PS for windows but part of the reason i don't want to jump to linux is because i know the lastest edition of CC is not going to run.

Post your best GIMP renames, I'll start
>GRITA - GNU Raster Image Tool Accessibility

>single window mode

le what?

then contribute fixes and features for advanced users

if you rely on illegitimate copies of proprietary software then you will get the worst of both worlds

I laughed hard at this... In my native language, "grita" can be translated as "to scream". So appropriate

Does it really need GNU in the name though? It's almost as retarded as all those KDE applications with an unnatural 'k' in the beginning of the name.
>KOffice
>KAppTemplate
>KGeography
Let's go balls to the walls retarded:
>KGIMP

>GIV-Photoshop
>GNU Inferior Version of Photoshop

>people STILL recommending gimp when krita exists

She's not drawing lolis you mong. How the fuck are you gonna "draw" a poster? Do you also clip your nails with an exacto knife?

maybe your sister is a bit on the slow side because mine learned gimp (and inkscape) on her own

>tfw imouto too old to trick into calling me "oniichan"
fml desu senpai

yep, shit sucks, bro.

Attached: 43458416_259777068214209_3614634971550973952_n.jpg (720x546, 97K)

GAY
GAY Anus YOLO

Vectors are infinitely more superior. In all ways but compression of complex images. Vectors is the way should have been stored in the first place was it not for space concerns.

It works a lot more intuitively then the entire concept of pixels.

post pic of sister

gimp is truly awful awful software

>give someone a worthless piece of shit, they complain
>give someone something actually useful, they don't
Imagine my shock.

>then contribute fixes and features for advanced users
>implying you can just overhaul the entire fucking UI without the maintainers throwing a shitfit